HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Claude Julien: A New Hope

View Poll Results: The Habs with Claude Julien are ________?
Better 190 61.09%
A Pretender 33 10.61%
A Contender 54 17.36%
The same old Habs 28 9.00%
Worst 6 1.93%
Voters: 311. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-17-2017, 08:21 PM
Milhouse40

vCash: 500
Claude Julien: A New Hope

Many will love him, hate him, defend him, bash him and eventually destroy him in years from now.
He's a brand new voice with fresh ideas that eventually will become redundant in years from now.

But as of today, Habs can count on one of the best coach in the NHL.
Some talked about respect for years, this one earned it.

- Galchenyuk, Plekanec, Danault, Mitchell as a center line as it should have been from day 1.
- Galchenyuk back on the top line, Plekanec back in a 2-way role and Desharnais back in the press box.
- Can actually speak english and didn't use the terms compete or focus.

Pretty good first day.......but is it enough?

Discuss

Milhouse40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 08:34 PM
Lafleurs Guy

I will say 'better' because I considered MT to be a major liability. Contender? We'll see. I'd like to see another good scorer up front before saying anything on that front.

02-17-2017, 08:37 PM
CH25

It's such a relief but man does it feel horrible having wasted 5 years on garbage like Desharnais.. We might very well still feel the effects of Therrien's reign of doom for years to come.

CH25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 08:38 PM
peate
Good grief!

I can only say better; maybe not a contender but certainly not worse. Just missing a few pieces.

peate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 08:39 PM
Milhouse40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I will say 'better' because I considered MT to be a major liability. Contender? We'll see. I'd like to see another good scorer up front before saying anything on that front.
Agreed.

I don't think Julien will always hit for .1000....but at least when he'll swing and miss he won't throw his bat in the face of someone.

We know what's missing to be a contender, but IMO, the Habs got one step closer.

Old
02-17-2017, 08:40 PM
Adam Michaels

It'll have to be enough today, Friday, February 17th. But it definitely doesn't end here.

I am VERY confident in Julien and am real happy we got one of the league's best. If it's not Babcock or Quenneville, to me, it's Julien. I'd like Trotz and Vigneault as well. But I put Julien above them because he's accomplished more than the last two I mentioned.

As for his press conferences, you can see a big difference between Julien and Therrien because Julien is just more articulate in both languages. This isn't to knock Therrien, but his language skills are a little lacking in terms of communicating with the media. Sometimes, his answers had no relation to the question asked. Julien was on top of it.

Hopefully Claude came just in time to give Bergevin a more objective point of view of what the Habs has as a roster and MB will do what's necessary to address them.

Adam Michaels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 08:44 PM
NobleSix
Dynasty to Tragedy

vCash: 416
"Save us Clode, you're our only hope..."

I think they will be much improved. Will they become a contender? I don't think so. Bergevin will have to improve the roster for that to happen. I am optimistic for the first time in a long time though.

A couple of improvements over the summer and this team could do some damage.

NobleSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 08:45 PM
Milhouse40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH25 View Post
It's such a relief but man does it feel horrible having wasted 5 years on garbage like Desharnais.. We might very well still feel the effects of Therrien's reign of doom for years to come.
Pateryn said it best

Old
02-17-2017, 08:56 PM
Bourne Endeavor

vCash: 178
We still lack offensive depth and are incredibly top heavy. I think Bergevin needs to bring in another scoring threat to push the Habs over the edge.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 09:00 PM
Genesis76

vCash: 50
No this is the return of the Jedi

Genesis76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 09:02 PM
Adam Michaels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milhouse40 View Post
Pateryn said it best

I know a bunch of players have been more openly saying how much Therrien was disliked in the room. Former Habs players like Weaver and Briere as two examples. That doesn't really affect me in any way. But it's not the kind of things you like to hear, regardless.

Not that Julien will be perfect, of course. But most of his former players do nothing but praise him. Even Aaron Ward said that he was at odds with Julien at times, but he really learned to appreciate him after he retired.

Adam Michaels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 09:05 PM
Chili

3 of 8 coaches fired in the division this season and 3 others possibly feeling the heat

My question would be, how long will the honeymoon last?

The weaknesses in the roster remain.

Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 09:12 PM
Lshap

What the hell... somebody's gotta start the bandwagon. I say contender!

Sure, another solid trade-deadline add would be fantastic, but let's not forget the Habs were top-five in scoring before January. Except for Pacioretty everybody's gone cold the last five weeks. That mental malaise will change. We forget that Gallagher has done nothing; he's not done yet. Then there's the addition of Radulov, the emergence of Danault, and unexpected production from Byron and Lehkonen. This is a better offensive roster than we've had in years.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 09:34 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Michaels View Post
I know a bunch of players have been more openly saying how much Therrien was disliked in the room. Former Habs players like Weaver and Briere as two examples. That doesn't really affect me in any way. But it's not the kind of things you like to hear, regardless.

Not that Julien will be perfect, of course. But most of his former players do nothing but praise him. Even Aaron Ward said that he was at odds with Julien at times, but he really learned to appreciate him after he retired.
Just curious what did Weaver and Briere say about Therrien? I'm quite interested in hearing g it in particular Weaver.

donghabs98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 09:59 PM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:
Pateryn said it best

You can be tough, and I think players respek that. What they don't like is arrogance and sarcasm, and that's what Therrien was all about. It doesn't matter what type of job you do, you need to feel like respect is a two-way street, and with Therrien, it seemed he didn't feel he needed to do anything to earn players respect, that it was expected, that gets old quickly.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 10:03 PM
Hackett
BAKAMAN

I predict the team will go on a run here.

I've been around here long enough whether it's AV, MT, CJ, GC, or JM. The majority of people here will get on him, but the honeymoon should last for the remainder of the season at least.

But when the honeymoon is over, and CJ doesn't look as great as he might look now, MB will be on the hotseat like never before too.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 11:12 PM
Scriptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I predict the team will go on a run here.

I've been around here long enough whether it's AV, MT, CJ, GC, or JM. The majority of people here will get on him, but the honeymoon should last for the remainder of the season at least.

But when the honeymoon is over, and CJ doesn't look as great as he might look now, MB will be on the hotseat like never before too.
This forum will be empty as soon as Montreal doesn't re-sign Desharnais in the offseason.

With both Therrien and DD gone, 90% of the posts around here won't happen anymore.

Actually, I'm curious to see what becomes the next therapy target. I'm betting on Bergevin, myself.

Scriptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 11:50 PM
Sundog85
Lost in Leafs Nation

I chose pretender because I don't think that we have the roster to be a contender, not because of anything that Julien can or cannot do.

Sundog85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 11:54 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
This forum will be empty as soon as Montreal doesn't re-sign Desharnais in the offseason.

With both Therrien and DD gone, 90% of the posts around here won't happen anymore.

Actually, I'm curious to see what becomes the next therapy target. I'm betting on Bergevin, myself.
Never underestimate the scapegoat factor. We always find another person to blame.

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 11:55 PM
M.C.G. 31

vCash: 192
I'll say we're a better team. A much better team. Contender? We'll see what additions we make at the deadline. I have a feeling we'll make at least one. We'll see where that positions us moving forward.

Quote:
Pateryn said it best

There's being tough but respectful and then there's being a dick, and it seems like Therrien was the latter, from this comment, to Price's quip in practice today about finally having defense, etc., it really seems like he wasn't popular at all in the room and didn't really have the players' respect.

02-18-2017, 12:56 AM
LyricalLyricist

I think we're better by default. Team will need to focus again and dig deep. Week off helps too!

Long term? We'll see with Julien but you gotta give him a chance to really know.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2017, 01:12 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

https://www.nhl.com/news/canadiens-c...es/c-286879344

Quote:
"He's been preaching a lot of offense," left wing Max Pacioretty said. "You know, take care of your end, but once we have the puck we don't want to give it back. And in my mind that's offensive thinking. A good defense is holding onto the puck in the offensive zone and not just giving it away, not just putting it on net for no reason, and those are some things that he already harps [on], so I was excited to hear that."

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2017, 01:29 AM
CanadianSharks

Better is the best description. They could potentially go all the way. They could get bounced in the 1st round. Still, I think they have a good shot at making at least the ECF. So better.

CanadianSharks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2017, 01:36 AM
CanadianSharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Nice one by Patches. A not so subtle jab at Therrien's ridiculous dump and chase philosophy and general hatred of possession.

CanadianSharks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2017, 03:29 AM
No More Subban

Habs will be a better team. I thought everybody was all smiles at practice yesterday. They all seemed excited and are embracing the coaching change.

Im just glad that MT is finally gone. But damn.. I can never forgive him for the Subban trade. Everybody knows he caused it.

No More Subban is offline   Reply With Quote