HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Claude Julien: A New Hope

View Poll Results: The Habs with Claude Julien are ________?
Better 190 61.09%
A Pretender 33 10.61%
A Contender 54 17.36%
The same old Habs 28 9.00%
Worst 6 1.93%
Voters: 311. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-18-2017, 08:04 PM
Victorius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Just his commentary alone after the first game, as well as some players comments, show the night/day difference in coaching competence...

So nice to have a real coach in charge now.

Be patient.
It's their first game together. What else should had been said ?

Don't get your expectations too high. This team is badly built.

Victorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2017, 08:29 PM
JCR

Any new face, can't never be a new hope, as long MB remains GM, pure and simple!

JCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2017, 08:36 PM
deandebean

Disappointed by guys who haven't figured out that this loss was a given. Tough to win when your coach DELIBERATELY gave no game plan to follow...

I'm FLOORED that no one figured out that what Julien did today was telling them that what they've been doing for many months does not work?

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2017, 08:47 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Disappointed by guys who haven't figured out that this loss was a given. Tough to win when your coach DELIBERATELY gave no game plan to follow...

I'm FLOORED that no one figured out that what Julien did today was telling them that what they've been doing for many months does not work?
You think he deliberately lost the game?

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2017, 08:49 PM
Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorius View Post

It really is badly built. I have said it before that Bergevin truly does not have a plan and simply makes **** up as he goes along.

Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2017, 08:51 PM
Milhouse40

One thing is for sure, He sent a strong message to the players today.
And i think it will pay off in the future.

Sending Galchenyuk right back out there after a bad turnover.
Sending Beaulieu out there after costing a goal.

With Therrien it was the bench and demotion for both of them.

Quote:
“Mistakes are a part of the game sometimes, and you look at what kind of mistake it is. But you also have to, with younger players and certain players, you gotta have some patience.

“This is the new NHL where—with the salary cap and everything else—you have young players in your lineup. Part of it is: if you want them to be better, you have to live with some of those mistakes.”
That's such the opposite of Therrien's philosophy.

Milhouse40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2017, 08:53 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
You think he deliberately lost the game?
I think that he let them play the way they have been playing for 5 years for a true purpose.

If you know a bit about Claude, you would know that he doesn't really care about the result of a single game. He cares about building. He builds long term.

What did he say after the game? He said this team has a bad system. Individually and colectivelly.

He shoved it down the players' throats without the hollerin' and the screamin'. Just by living it one more time.

Now, what Claude is going to do, is change this. Player by player. Bit by bit. I wrote on Thursday that it would take about 10 days. I've seen this man work with the Piques. I've watched from afar the Bruins grow into a very competent team. He's not there for the quick fix. He's there for the long run. And you and I and all the others will see the results later.

Last edited by deandebean: 02-18-2017 at 09:01 PM.
Old
02-18-2017, 09:22 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
It really is badly built. I have said it before that Bergevin truly does not have a plan and simply makes **** up as he goes along.
All doubt was extinguished when MB traded Subban for Weber straight up.

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2017, 09:27 PM
LaP

Anyone expecting any change to happen within a couple of days is totally delusional. Honestly guys it will take a couple of weeks.

Personally i'm not a fan of Claude and i don't particularly think he is much better than MT.

I think the biggest change will be out of the ice. I think the players will like him more and in the long run it will pay.

MT had too much problem with too many players. Eller, Subban, AG and now it appears Price could not stand him anymore. Anyway Price doesn't like a guy who is sad MT is gone quite the opposite.

LaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2017, 09:39 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorius View Post

Nuances can speak volumes.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2017, 10:50 AM
Habs

He is the right guy for the job. Jesus people give him a few games, he's working with a bunch of tools here. He's a good coach.

Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2017, 10:58 PM
Hackett
BAKAMAN

Quote:
I think that he let them play the way they have been playing for 5 years for a true purpose.

If you know a bit about Claude, you would know that he doesn't really care about the result of a single game. He cares about building. He builds long term.

What did he say after the game? He said this team has a bad system. Individually and colectivelly.

He shoved it down the players' throats without the hollerin' and the screamin'. Just by living it one more time.

Now, what Claude is going to do, is change this. Player by player. Bit by bit. I wrote on Thursday that it would take about 10 days. I've seen this man work with the Piques. I've watched from afar the Bruins grow into a very competent team. He's not there for the quick fix. He's there for the long run. And you and I and all the others will see the results later.
I'm a bit confused. You say he's not here for a quick fix, but you also say give it 10 days. What are you expecting in 10 days? I feel its highly ambitious that he will lay his imprint on the team in such a short time span. I mean, the team could go on a run in the short term and he might be able to lay a strategic building block, but there would still be a huge work in progress IMO. I actually believe that the system will come with time (way more than 10 days), but his immediate goal to get results is to build the players back up first.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2017, 05:46 PM
Runner77

vCash: 2100
FWIW, PeeAir on today's 690's segment, claiming that a large part of the reason Julien was let go by the Bruins was how his system stymied offence.

And here he is beginning a tenure at a team that is offensively-challenged, even before his system is implemented.

I hope PeeAir has it wrong.

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2017, 05:49 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
FWIW, PeeAir on today's 690's segment, claiming that a large part of the reason Julien was let go by the Bruins was how his system stymied offence.

And here he is beginning a tenure at a team that is offensively-challenged, even before his system is implemented.

His team had the puck more than any other team in the league. Marchand, Pastrnak, Krejci, Bergeron, Horton, Savard all reached heights under him. Doesn't sound like stymying offence to me.

Last edited by Coldplay: 02-20-2017 at 05:54 PM.
Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2017, 05:49 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I'm a bit confused. You say he's not here for a quick fix, but you also say give it 10 days. What are you expecting in 10 days? I feel its highly ambitious that he will lay his imprint on the team in such a short time span. I mean, the team could go on a run in the short term and he might be able to lay a strategic building block, but there would still be a huge work in progress IMO. I actually believe that the system will come with time (way more than 10 days), but his immediate goal to get results is to build the players back up first.
I should have been more precise. In 10 days, you will START to see the effects of the system. My bad.

Quote:

Say that to Big Nose and he will laugh his ass off.

Quote:

PeeAir never liked Julien. It goes back way back when. Maybe because Julien saw what PeeAir is, really: just that, AIR.

Last edited by montreal: 02-20-2017 at 09:25 PM.
Old
02-20-2017, 07:15 PM
Andrei79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
This is such a good point.

I mean, their plan was a Emelin/Beaulieu-Weber first pairing ???

Andrei79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2017, 07:16 PM
76ftw

vCash: 2307
Quote:

Pierre is just salty he didn't get the GM job here. Don't listen to him.

76ftw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2017, 07:27 PM
DangerDave
Leptit prince et moi

If we aren't contenders with Julien then we aren't with any coach. I like this change not only because I think we get the better coach and the players get a much needed change in scenery but also because now the players are the ones who are accountable. You have a proven coach who's won a cup and considered one of the best in the league. The players have no more excuses and neither does Bergevin. Time to see what this team is made of.

DangerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2017, 11:45 PM
M.C.G. 31

vCash: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerDave View Post
If we aren't contenders with Julien then we aren't with any coach. I like this change not only because I think we get the better coach and the players get a much needed change in scenery but also because now the players are the ones who are accountable. You have a proven coach who's won a cup and considered one of the best in the league. The players have no more excuses and neither does Bergevin. Time to see what this team is made of.
Let's be real - we have a great coach now, but look at the roster he has to work with. This isn't a contending team unless Price is in 14-15 peak form. The fact is Bergevin has not done a good job of assembling a contending team and we're pretty much down to this "two-year window" where there's not enough time to plug as many holes needed to win or even truly contend for the Cup.

02-21-2017, 12:34 AM
WhalerTurnedBruin55

Bruins fan coming in peace.

Mostly came in curiously to see what the general feeling of hiring Clode was. He was a great coach and accomplished a lot in Boston, but I do feel like it was time (perhaps even a little later than I thought it should have been).

A few things, I just want to say from Boston's concerns.

Positives: Carey Price, Shea Weber, and Claude Julien combo should be something to watch. Claude has a system, and I believe those 2 are the backbone of it.

He has developed two-way players very successfully. Meaning, those players that do have a strong mind for both sides of the rink, tend to do well under Julien.

Negatives:
He lives and dies by his system. If the players aren't executing it, he didn't really show the ability to change up well.

He has binkies. And by that, he finds a few players he likes, and tends to play them above their skill set. They are likely hard working, likeable players, but you'll see after time.

Some doublestandards of vets. Many times vets go unpunished for bad / uninspired play.

Lastly, line combinations can be maddening. Sometimes he really likes certain players together. And doesn't like certain players together. You'll question his line up choices at times.

Either way, I liked Clode, he is legitimately a great coach. I think most of you have it right, it depends on the team your GM builds around him, but he is not without his frustrations. Get the right players for a system, and you'll have a well-running machine. When some of the cogs are the wrong ones, it can go haywire, really quickly.

Anyways, hope to check back in a few years and see how the story has progressed.

WhalerTurnedBruin55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2017, 01:06 AM
KawaYui

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C.G. 31 View Post
Let's be real - we have a great coach now, but look at the roster he has to work with. This isn't a contending team unless Price is in 14-15 peak form. The fact is Bergevin has not done a good job of assembling a contending team and we're pretty much down to this "two-year window" where there's not enough time to plug as many holes needed to win or even truly contend for the Cup.
You don't know that yet.
You don't need to have the best lineup on paper to win the cup.
What matters is that your star players and your depth players perform in the playoffs. That's how teams win the cup.

Just look at last year, pens had a lot of holes in their lineup, but they won because Crosby and the depth performed. The complete opposite are the Washington Capitals. They easily have the best lineup in the league, but they never made it past the 2nd round. Why? Because some of their star players stop producing in the playoffs, and their depth players are not producing either. It's not for no reason that the phrase "After you make the playoffs, anything can happen" is so popular.

Bergevin has stated that he wants to create a team with character players. Those type of players usually performs when it matters the most.

He acquired recently Shaw, Lehkonen and Radulov who all have had playoff success.
Also when I see Danault and Byron, I see two guys who could potential be two of our better playoff performers. The way they play fits well in the playoffs.

To have zero holes in the lineup does not imply a stanley cup. Of course, the least amount of holes you have, the better chance you have of winning the cup, but you can still win it even if you don't have the best 2C or are lacking a 2nd D. We can win it as long as our best players deliver (Radulov, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Price, Weber) and our depth players contribute (Lehkonen, Shaw, Danault, etc.)

Three years ago, we went to the ECF, and the depth players producing was a large reason for it (Eller and Bourque). Rewind 3 years ago before the playoffs, nobody would have thought that those 2 would have been two of our best players.

We have yet to see how our current team can perform in the playoffs, so we don't know how much dmg this team can do.

Our team looks also lot different from the last time we made the playoffs (lost in 2nd round)

In: Radulov, Lehkonen, Danault, Byron, Shaw, McCarron, Weber, Beaulieu, Nesterov

Out: Smith-Pelly, Prust, Vanek, Desharnais, Eller, Weise, Parenteau, De la Rose, Gilbert, Subban

Not to mention we had young guys in the playoffs 2 years ago who have improved and have a lot more nhl experience now (Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Beaulieu).

KawaYui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2017, 01:09 AM
KawaYui

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerTurnedBruin55 View Post
Bruins fan coming in peace.

Mostly came in curiously to see what the general feeling of hiring Clode was. He was a great coach and accomplished a lot in Boston, but I do feel like it was time (perhaps even a little later than I thought it should have been).

A few things, I just want to say from Boston's concerns.

Positives: Carey Price, Shea Weber, and Claude Julien combo should be something to watch. Claude has a system, and I believe those 2 are the backbone of it.

He has developed two-way players very successfully. Meaning, those players that do have a strong mind for both sides of the rink, tend to do well under Julien.

Negatives:
He lives and dies by his system. If the players aren't executing it, he didn't really show the ability to change up well.

He has binkies. And by that, he finds a few players he likes, and tends to play them above their skill set. They are likely hard working, likeable players, but you'll see after time.

Some doublestandards of vets. Many times vets go unpunished for bad / uninspired play.

Lastly, line combinations can be maddening. Sometimes he really likes certain players together. And doesn't like certain players together. You'll question his line up choices at times.

Either way, I liked Clode, he is legitimately a great coach. I think most of you have it right, it depends on the team your GM builds around him, but he is not without his frustrations. Get the right players for a system, and you'll have a well-running machine. When some of the cogs are the wrong ones, it can go haywire, really quickly.

Anyways, hope to check back in a few years and see how the story has progressed.
To be fair, every fanbase complains about their coach about those two.

KawaYui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2017, 10:27 AM
Tourist

From where I'm sitting I'm not sure Julien is better in terms of strategies, preparation, or in game adjustments. I'll leave that to the coaching experts on this board.

What is undeniable is that Julien has a better resume, and in turn a better reputation. His instructions will be more credible to the players, even if they were to be the same as Therrien's (not saying they actually are). Our ability to retain good players or acquire new good ones should also be improved.

Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2017, 10:30 AM
Runner77

vCash: 2100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourist View Post
From where I'm sitting I'm not sure Julien is better in terms of strategies, preparation, or in game adjustments. I'll leave that to the coaching experts on this board.

What is undeniable is that Julien has a better resume, and in turn a better reputation. His instructions will be more credible to the players, even if they were to be the same as Therrien's (not saying they actually are). Our ability to retain good players or acquire new good ones should also be improved.
Plus, a different message and different approach commands attention, provided that the remaining deadwood in the form of JJD and Lacroix is also shown the door.

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2017, 10:36 AM
Smokey Thompson

Quote:

This makes me so happy. It really is all about building a winning structure and a winning environment. No individual mistake or loss should get in the way of your longterm vision as a coach. Define a role for every player and help them grow into that role. If they stumble along the way there, help them back up and throw them right back into action. This builds trust and loyalty within the team which makes it even easier to achieve that winning structure.

So happy we got this cerebral coach.

Smokey Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote