HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

Gagarin Cup Play-Off 2017

View Poll Results: Who do you think will win the Gagarin Cup in 2017?
SKA St. Petersburg 26 44.83%
CSKA Moscow 9 15.52%
Dynamo Moscow 1 1.72%
Lokomotiv Yaroslavl 1 1.72%
Dynamo Minsk 2 3.45%
Torpedo Nizhniy Novgorod 0 0%
Vityaz Podolsk 0 0%
Jokerit Helsinki 6 10.34%
Metallurg Magnitogorsk 6 10.34%
Avangard Omsk 1 1.72%
Ak Bars Kazan 1 1.72%
Traktor Chelyabinsk 0 0%
Barys Astana 0 0%
Salavat Yulaev Ufa 1 1.72%
Admiral Vladivostok 0 0%
Red Star Kunlun 4 6.90%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-10-2017, 11:39 AM
Go Donbass

vCash: 500
Must win for Magnitka tonight and they pull it out. Is that SKA's first loss in the playoffs, or did they lose one in the second round?

Go Donbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 11:45 AM
Milos Krasic
Ballin' in Poland

They lost 1 game to Dynamo.

Koshechkin saved MMG's ass. They will need to play much better in St. Petersburg.

Milos Krasic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 11:55 AM
Go Donbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milos Krasic View Post
They lost 1 game to Dynamo.

Koshechkin saved MMG's ass. They will need to play much better in St. Petersburg.
That's right, I couldn't remember who they played in round 2. Well Koshechkin, the post and the cross bar.

Go Donbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2017, 12:35 PM
WildNorway

Crazy goal by Zubarev!

WildNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 03:15 PM
Milos Krasic
Ballin' in Poland

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildNorway View Post
Crazy goal by Zubarev!
He scored another lucky one today. Unbelievable.

Can't say SKA didn't deserve the win, though.

Old
04-15-2017, 01:44 AM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Cant beleive the refs blew the game for MMG. How can you miss a call like that. Even if they missed, they could have discussed it (dont know if its reviewable). The refs should be replaced or punished for that. It was so bad it looked like intentional non call

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 09:48 AM
Acallabeth

So, 42.86% were right, and SKA wins their 2nd Gagarin Cup in 3 years.

And this without Datsyuk and Voynov. The series really was a paragon of tremendous hockey. Magnitka played scared for far too long, and Fortuna smiled upon the other team far too long, but honestly I doubt there ever was a KHL series of such a high level. Way to ruin your comeback chance on 2 junior-level mistakes late in the 3rd period of an elimination match, however. The undoubtly better team won though, and, honestly, if the league doesn't take some steps to increase the parity level, the next season won't generate nearly as much of interest as this one did.

Syomin was particularily disappointing these playoffs, 2 assists in 18 games is completely unacceptable.

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 09:54 AM
hansomreiste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acallabeth View Post

And this without Datsyuk and Voynov. The series really was a paragon of tremendous hockey. Magnitka played scared for far too long, and Fortuna smiled upon the other team far too long, but honestly I doubt there ever was a KHL series of such a high level. Way to ruin your comeback chance on 2 junior-level mistakes late in the 3rd period of an elimination match, however. The undoubtly better team won though, and, honestly, if the league doesn't take some steps to increase the parity level, the next season won't generate nearly as much of interest as this one did.

Syomin was particularily disappointing these playoffs, 2 assists in 18 games is completely unacceptable.
This. The season was great but it's getting more and more one-sided as years pass by. A couple of years ago, we used to talk about how many contenders KHL can produce. Recently though, it has been mostly about SKA and Magnitka. While MMG is probably done for with all their old payers, SKA has unlimited cash and snatching ability. I'm not asking Kuznya to fight for a Gagarin Cup but at least there must be a level of parity for top 8 to 10 teams. There will always be strong favorites but give us three or four of them, at least.

So, now it's all over... FeelsBadMan

hansomreiste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 10:05 AM
Acallabeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansomreiste View Post
This. The season was great but it's getting more and more one-sided as years pass by. A couple of years ago, we used to talk about how many contenders KHL can produce. Recently though, it has been mostly about SKA and Magnitka. While MMG is probably done for with all their old payers, SKA has unlimited cash and snatching ability. I'm not asking Kuznya to fight for a Gagarin Cup but at least there must be a level of parity for top 8 to 10 teams. There will always be strong favorites but give us three or four of them, at least.
The most annoying thing is, aside from the top dragons dominance, the season was actually one of the best (if not the very best) in terms of competitiveness and intrigue.

A very easy playoff MVP choice:

Old
04-16-2017, 10:16 AM
Milos Krasic
Ballin' in Poland

Yeah, Semin was terrible. He didn't produce and took dumb penalties.

In the final, Mozyakin and Zaripov looked their age.

Old
04-16-2017, 10:46 AM
Kshahdoo

Quote:

Where is a parity in Spanish football league? German? Italy? France? EPL? Every European pro league is about disparity. Because Europe isn't NA, disparity is a European tradition.

What way will you achieve a parity between SKA and Yurga? Between CSKA and Novokuznetsk? Hell, between Osasuna and Real Madrid? Yeah, no way.

Kshahdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 11:37 AM
Acallabeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshahdoo View Post
What way will you achieve a parity between SKA and Yurga? Between CSKA and Novokuznetsk? Hell, between Osasuna and Real Madrid? Yeah, no way.
I don't care about Spanish football and have no idea how far Osasuna is from Real. Football is a different sport anyway, with several top leagues and very strong fan culture in each of them, which is why I am in bewilderment why would this example be relevant.

Just tell me one thing: did you enjoy the playoffs as a display of very clear superiority of one team over another in most series? Or one certain team being obviously the best in the league without a realistic challanger?

I have posted numerous times that the measures needed to be implemented first are hard salary cap (or punishing luxury tax of 200-300%) and open payrolls. It won't bring Kuznya to CSKA's level, but it won't allow a certain team to buy a championship. Thankfully, Fetisov has already expressed his agreement with me, and now Tretiak and Mutko (for what they're worth) also made it clear that they finally understood the necessity of changes in the KHL.

Old
04-16-2017, 12:26 PM
Kshahdoo

Quote:
I don't care about Spanish football and have no idea how far Osasuna is from Real. Football is a different sport anyway, with several top leagues and very strong fan culture in each of them, which is why I am in bewilderment why would this example be relevant.

Just tell me one thing: did you enjoy the playoffs as a display of very clear superiority of one team over another in most series? Or one certain team being obviously the best in the league without a realistic challanger?

I have posted numerous times that the measures needed to be implemented first are hard salary cap (or punishing luxury tax of 200-300%) and open payrolls. It won't bring Kuznya to CSKA's level, but it won't allow a certain team to buy a championship. Thankfully, Fetisov has already expressed his agreement with me, and now Tretiak and Mutko (for what they're worth) also made it clear that they finally understood the necessity of changes in the KHL.
I don't care about the KHL entertaining level, to me it's a development league. Current disparity let it have some good players, which helps youngster's development. If they make all teams equally poor (and it's impossible to make them equally rich), then the league's level will inevitably decrease, which will hurt players' development.

Kshahdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2017, 01:01 PM
Acallabeth

Quote:
I don't care about the KHL entertaining level, to me it's a development league. Current disparity let it have some good players, which helps youngster's development. If they make all teams equally poor (and it's impossible to make them equally rich), then the league's level will inevitably decrease, which will hurt players' development.
You don't seem to understand how a salary cap works: it doesn't oblige every team in the league to spend the equal amount of money, it creates the upper limit that spendings can't exceed. Not allowing SKA to add Datsyuk to the juggernaut they have already assembled won't make them poorer, or decrease the league's level.

However, if you state you don't care about the league's entertainment level, I'm not sure there's a reason for a discussion any way.

Old
04-16-2017, 03:35 PM
hansomreiste

Quote:
Yes, snatching several good guys with great potential only to render their respective teams inefficient and sitting them on bench to rust is a great way to develop young players. Hard cap is a must for KHL, end of the story. Not even arguable.

hansomreiste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 12:04 AM
Eazy for Kuzy
Same old Caps

vCash: 439
Quote:

He has nothing left in the tank. He was great last year when MMG won the Cup, he allowed his team to reach the finals with a great performance in the 3rd round. He's done, MMG needs to move on from him.

Eazy for Kuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2017, 01:34 AM
Alessandro Seren Rosso
HFB Partner

Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Quote:
You don't seem to understand how a salary cap works: it doesn't oblige every team in the league to spend the equal amount of money, it creates the upper limit that spendings can't exceed. Not allowing SKA to add Datsyuk to the juggernaut they have already assembled won't make them poorer, or decrease the league's level.
I'm not really sure the KHL is in the right position to truly accept a salary cap.
Only a few teams can pay big money to attract big players, if those teams are limited, the KHL won't have kovalchuks, datsyuks, sobotkas, etc., anymore.
Other ways should be explored, IMHO.

04-24-2017, 12:33 AM
steap

Send a message via ICQ to steap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro Seren Rosso View Post
I'm not really sure the KHL is in the right position to truly accept a salary cap.
Only a few teams can pay big money to attract big players, if those teams are limited, the KHL won't have kovalchuks, datsyuks, sobotkas, etc., anymore.
Other ways should be explored, IMHO.
When whole country is in economical crusis I could say that we don't need Kovalchuks, Datsyuks and etc for such money (especially in one team).

steap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 07:46 AM
Alessandro Seren Rosso
HFB Partner

Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Quote:
Originally Posted by steap View Post
When whole country is in economical crusis I could say that we don't need Kovalchuks, Datsyuks and etc for such money (especially in one team).
I can agree on "especially in one team". But sports won't go hand-in-hand with what citizens earn... do you think regular people's wage in Spain or Italy or even in Greece is related with football?

Alessandro Seren Rosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 09:08 AM
Jussi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro Seren Rosso View Post
I can agree on "especially in one team". But sports won't go hand-in-hand with what citizens earn... do you think regular people's wage in Spain or Italy or even in Greece is related with football?
Again with the football comparison... You really should change your record, it's asinine to compare hockey and football. So much more money involved in football and people are more willing to pay for ridiculously expensive season tickets. Not even close to the situation with hockey.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 09:39 AM
Alessandro Seren Rosso
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Again with the football comparison... You really should change your record, it's asinine to compare hockey and football. So much more money involved in football and people are more willing to pay for ridiculously expensive season tickets. Not even close to the situation with hockey.
You missed the point. My point is that citizens and athletes aren't in the same world, in Russia, in North America, in Finland, everywhere.

Alessandro Seren Rosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 05:53 PM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by steap View Post
can you please tell me where I should go to whitness that crsis you are talking about?

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 02:28 AM
Rigafan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
While this is true, hockey has many rich men who are willing to foot the bill for us to all enjoy, so I don't see a problem

Rigafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 08:39 AM
TommySalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
can you please tell me where I should go to whitness that crsis you are talking about?
Well if you are reading ''the independent'' western media, you will know that Russia is in a deep financial crisis.

TommySalo is offline   Reply With Quote