Unless we sign a couple of UFAs???

10Ducky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 06:59 PM
Whileee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
We still have lots of cap space. If toby's contract ran 2 or 3 more years it might be an issue but not 1 year. We won't be near the cap next year.
They still have to be mindful of the cap in the next few years when Ehlers, Laine and Morrissey come off entry level deals and Trouba needs a big deal if we are going to keep him. It makes no sense to look at the cap one year at a time.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 07:03 PM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
They still have to be mindful of the cap in the next few years when Ehlers, Laine and Morrissey come off entry level deals and Trouba needs a big deal if we are going to keep him. It makes no sense to look at the cap one year at a time.
Since you can't carry forward unused cap space, Toby's current contract is pretty much irrelevant to the next contract for those guys. Exactly the same cap pressure will exist. There is no need to trade or terminate Toby's contract in order to sign any of those guys.

Aavco Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 07:06 PM
Mortimer Snerd

vCash: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Ducky10 View Post
That's the point. We have space to do whatever needs doing in spite of Enstrom's contract. We don't need to move him because of his contract.
This was the original statement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAA View Post
Probably is they can't afford to add any decent D depth because Toby is still making $6mill.
How much do you think depth D men cost? 1.5 mil? 2 mil? 2.5 mil? How many depth D do you think we need? A couple of UFA's? How about 4 mil for a 2LHD and 5 mil for a real goalie? Could we do that without trading Enstrom? Yup. No problem.

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 07:56 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
Since you can't carry forward unused cap space, Toby's current contract is pretty much irrelevant to the next contract for those guys. Exactly the same cap pressure will exist. There is no need to trade or terminate Toby's contract in order to sign any of those guys.
I completely agree.

Old
03-20-2017, 08:02 PM
AWSAA

vCash: 1841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
That's funny. Same posters excused us not going hard after Chychrun last summer due to cap pressure.

How much do you think it was cost us to acquire him today?

AWSAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 08:19 PM
surixon

I'm not at all worried about them being able to manage their young guys. They have a boat load of cap space now and they staggered their vet contracts so that they come off the books over the next 2 to 3 years. Moreover both Perrault and Myers have very portable contracts that can be moved out if need be. If the Jets do want to retain some of their vets it's likely not going to put increased strain on the Cap. Little will likely get an incremental increase of 1 million in cap hit per season. Toby will get 2 to 3 million reduction in cap hit if he stays and Wheeler likely stays around where he is in terms of cap hit. Nothing too crazy and very managible.

There will be about a net 6 million increase in cap space this summer due to expiring contracts offset by raises to Perrault and our RFA'S. Easily enough to pay a quality goalie and a depth dmen.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 08:28 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1517
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Ducky10 View Post
As long as they are good value signings. Most UFA signing are for too much money and too much term. IMO one of the best things Chevy has done is not saddle us with too much fading vet UFA contracts. Imagine a Stafford equivalent on a 5-6 year deal.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 08:28 PM
Aavco Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAA View Post
That's funny. Same posters excused us not going hard after Chychrun last summer due to cap pressure.

How much do you think it was cost us to acquire him today?
I am not a "same" poster. I had no desire to expend resources to move up and acquire Chychrun. I still feel that way but it had nothing to do with cap pressure. I didn't think we should have traded up to pick Stanley either. I think we just should have made our two 1st rd picks exactly where the fell.

Old
03-21-2017, 01:14 AM
Mortimer Snerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Thats completely irrelevant to this particular conversation. It started with a concern that we can't deal with D depth because of Enstrom's contract which has only 1 year to run. I am saying that it hasn't got that effect because it only runs 1 more year. That doesn't mean I want to spend all the money 2-3 years down the road but Toby's contract has nothing to do with 2-3 years down the road.

Old
03-21-2017, 01:36 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Thats completely irrelevant to this particular conversation. It started with a concern that we can't deal with D depth because of Enstrom's contract which has only 1 year to run. I am saying that it hasn't got that effect because it only runs 1 more year. That doesn't mean I want to spend all the money 2-3 years down the road but Toby's contract has nothing to do with 2-3 years down the road.
I agree with you.

Old
03-23-2017, 08:00 AM
papasan

Should the JETS go after Dmitry Kulikov, a 26 year old left defenceman for Buffalo who's having an off year?

papasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2017, 09:27 AM
Mortimer Snerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasan View Post
Should the JETS go after Dmitry Kulikov, a 26 year old left defenceman for Buffalo who's having an off year?
I would say yes, definitely. The problem might be his pay expectations. He made 4.5 mil this year and hasn't played to near that level. He will have to take quite a pay cut.

Old
03-23-2017, 10:21 AM
Weezeric

I wonder if the kings would consider trading muzzin. They need to rebuild. He would be the perfect partner for buff

Weezeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2017, 10:44 AM
fmrdh

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasan View Post
IMO he isn't very good. We have enough 6-7th D.

fmrdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2017, 11:00 AM
Mortimer Snerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezeric View Post
I wonder if the kings would consider trading muzzin. They need to rebuild. He would be the perfect partner for buff
I've seen a few mentions of that from LAK fans. Of course that doesn't mean Lombardi is thinking that way. The problem would be the price I think. There might be a few competing bidders.

Old
03-23-2017, 02:58 PM
surixon

Quote:
I've seen a few mentions of that from LAK fans. Of course that doesn't mean Lombardi is thinking that way. The problem would be the price I think. There might be a few competing bidders.
Muzzin would be a fantastic add but he wouldn't come cheap.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2017, 03:12 PM
Jetsfan79

I think we should try to arrange something with Vegas so they won't take Myers and we can go 7-3 in the expansion draft. Was thinking of this trade:

Janson Harkins and a conditional 2018 2nd round pick to Vegas in exchange for them not taking Myers (we go 7-3). The condition would be: If the Jets makes the play-offs next season, the 2nd becomes a first (in 2018).

Last edited by Jetsfan79: 03-23-2017 at 03:18 PM.
Jetsfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2017, 03:33 PM
MikeRahl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfan79 View Post
I think we should try to arrange something with Vegas so they won't take Myers and we can go 7-3 in the expansion draft. Was thinking of this trade:

Janson Harkins and a conditional 2018 2nd round pick to Vegas in exchange for them not taking Myers (we go 7-3). The condition would be: If the Jets makes the play-offs next season, the 2nd becomes a first (in 2018).
What player outside of the top 6 is worth one of Copp/Armia/Lowry/Dano (whichever one the Jet's don't protect because Wheeler, Scheifele, Little and Perrault as probably protected) and a 1st round pick?

MikeRahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2017, 03:39 PM
AWSAA

vCash: 1841
Quote:

AWSAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2017, 03:48 PM
Jetsfan79

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRahl View Post
What player outside of the top 6 is worth one of Copp/Armia/Lowry/Dano (whichever one the Jet's don't protect because Wheeler, Scheifele, Little and Perrault as probably protected) and a 1st round pick?

Remember the condition I have is its only a first if the Jets make the playoffs next year. Vegas would get something like pick 15-31 (remember the jets are stacked with prospects right now). Lets say one of the players you listed above becomes a really good player or is a solid contributor in helping the Jets make the playoffs next year. This trade would be a safety net to keep all or most of those players in the mix.

And honesty, if we are in the playoffs next year, I don't think many Jet fans would lose much sleep over losing a mid-late first round draft pick in 2018.

Last edited by Jetsfan79: 03-23-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Jetsfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2017, 03:48 PM
Mortimer Snerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
Muzzin would be a fantastic add but he wouldn't come cheap.
Yes, and I'd be willing to pay a lot. Other teams might pay more than I'd be willing to though.

Old
03-23-2017, 03:57 PM
Mortimer Snerd

Quote:

No thanks. I 'm OK with the concept but that is too much. Way too much. That's more than the value of the worst possible outcome if we go 4+4+1.

Don't worry so much about 7+3+1 or 4+4+1. Just pay LV to take player X and then it doesn't matter who we protect or don't protect. Like they get a 3rd + Dano to leave us alone. Or a 2nd + Matthias. OK, maybe that last needs another add. After they twist Chevy's arm for a while he can reluctantly add Stanley instead of the 2nd. No firsts though.

Old
03-23-2017, 05:16 PM
ruffus23

what are the odds that Poolman plays for Jets this weekend?

My understanding is that if ND loses today, ND is done.

ruffus23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2017, 05:27 PM
Aavco Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffus23 View Post
what are the odds that Poolman plays for Jets this weekend?

My understanding is that if ND loses today, ND is done.

They play tomorrow and then saturday if they win.

I think no chance he plays a game until he has a couple practices under his belt.