Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 16-17 Part XVII

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2017, 07:39 PM
BigZ65

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
I don't disagree that he would be perceived as worth more....But honestly I think dano is ACTUALLY the most valuable save Perrault. Looking at garrets other charts of WAR and GS
Even when accounting for position. Dano performs a whole 2 steps above Meyers.

The D discrepancy isn't worth that for me.

Mind you, Meyers was having a great season up until his injury, but I'm more inclined to believe those twenty games and his rookie year were the mirage not the likely
That's kind of the problem with Myers. His value is always rooted in upside, "when he turns the corner, "when he's healthy for a full season." At what point do you say the guy is 27 with 8 seasons under his belt, he is what he is and balance that against him likely missing a quarter of the games in a given season?

Old
02-22-2017, 08:12 PM
uTurris
We the True North

I'd love for Cheveldayoff to make a trade with Florida and get both Barkov and Ekblad. Ekblad because of the Barrie connection and Barkov because him and Laine work well together.

I could imagine this would do it:

Florida:
Trouba
1st 2017
1st 2018
Comrie
Connor
De Leo

Winnipeg:
Barkov
Ekblad

Old
02-22-2017, 08:31 PM
Koonta
The Boss Wears White

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by uTurris View Post
I'd love for Cheveldayoff to make a trade with Florida and get both Barkov and Ekblad. Ekblad because of the Barrie connection and Barkov because him and Laine work well together.

Florida:
Trouba
1st 2017
1st 2018
Comrie
Connor
De Leo

Winnipeg:
Barkov
Ekblad
That would be just awful, just terrible, you must be joking . In case you haven't noticed Laine works pretty well with a centre we already have. Love to have Barkov and Ekblad but that price is gross.

Old
02-22-2017, 09:00 PM
thistleswamp
Second Overall

Honestly, how much better is Ekblad than Trouba? He's only one year younger. Looks like his goal scoring is beyond expectations for shot volume, which is the opposite for trouba.

Old
02-22-2017, 09:00 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Perreault for Mike Matheson done deal.

Old
02-22-2017, 09:35 PM
Flair Hay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koonta View Post
That would be just awful, just terrible, you must be joking . In case you haven't noticed Laine works pretty well with a centre we already have. Love to have Barkov and Ekblad but that price is gross.
Florida would never do that trade anyway

Old
02-22-2017, 10:04 PM
Say What
what say you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
What do you mean 'wishful thinking'" Who's wishing for what?

I would say exactly the opposite of what you posted.
IMO, it's still looking like 4/4/1....almost guaranteed.
Protecting 7 forwards is wishful thinking at this point. Time will tell.
That is people wishing to protect 7 F's are engaging in 'wishful thinking'.

No one is 'wishing' for 4+4+1. No one. Many feel we are stuck with it until something is done to change the situation. It has been debated here at great length so I'm sure you are familiar with the arguments.

Assuming Myers is healthy he is worth more than the player we will lose instead if he is left unprotected. That's the whole thing. You can disagree with that assessment but I don't see how you can reasonably guarantee that Chevy will agree with you. Its still a long way away and very up in the air.
You can say whatever you want to. I personally don't believe that the Winnipeg Jets will protect 4 Defencemen under any circumstance. Time will tell.

You and I have previously discussed why I feel this way. Anyway, it's just opinions, let's wait and see.

Didn't mean to offend....The 'wishful thinkers' are those that feel we have 4 D-men that must be protected.

Old
02-22-2017, 11:33 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Say What View Post
You can say whatever you want to. I personally don't believe that the Winnipeg Jets will protect 4 Defencemen under any circumstance. Time will tell.

You and I have previously discussed why I feel this way. Anyway, it's just opinions, let's wait and see.

Didn't mean to offend....The 'wishful thinkers' are those that feel we have 4 D-men that must be protected.
Those that feel we must protect 4 D are not wishing for it. Those who think we will protect 7 F's are wishing for it. Therefore they are the 'wishful' thinkers. Count me among them. I think Chevy is going to try to find a way to do just that OR, alternatively to pay LV to take a player of his choice.

Last edited by Mortimer Snerd: 02-23-2017 at 12:50 AM.
Old
02-22-2017, 11:48 PM
yukonfloyd*

Is Myers actually appealing to Las Vegas?

Shut down last season for knee(?) surgery now out for most of this season with hip surgery complications... and his fancy stats are getting worse each year...

I'd take any one of Lowry, Copp, Armia, Dano, Perrault before Myers...

Old
02-23-2017, 12:39 AM
Gm0ney
Unicorns salient

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukonfloyd View Post

Shut down last season for knee(?) surgery now out for most of this season with hip surgery complications... and his fancy stats are getting worse each year...

If Myers were exposed, the Jets wouldn't be exposing Perreault, Lowry, Dano or Armia. So Vegas' choice becomes: Copp or Myers. And I think that's a no brainer for Vegas unless there's reason to believe Myers won't ever be healthy. Even if they exposed all those other guys with Myers, the only other sensible choice for Vegas would be Perreault.

Old
02-23-2017, 12:56 AM
BB88

Quote:
Originally Posted by uTurris View Post

Florida:
Trouba
1st 2017
1st 2018
Comrie
Connor
De Leo

Winnipeg:
Barkov
Ekblad
Floridas franchise players, Barkov& Ekblad and that trade has both of them? They won't trade either of them.

I was looking at that Friedman trade and I don't see the point for Florida unless they can trade Bjugstad for him but that doesn't make sense for Jets in my view.

Old
02-23-2017, 12:56 AM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
If Myers were exposed, the Jets wouldn't be exposing Perreault, Lowry, Dano or Armia. So Vegas' choice becomes: Copp or Myers. And I think that's a no brainer for Vegas unless there's reason to believe Myers won't ever be healthy. Even if they exposed all those other guys with Myers, the only other sensible choice for Vegas would be Perreault.
What Gm0ney said plus you have his injury all wrong. He was shut down last year for hip surgery. He is fully recovered from that. His problem this year is unrelated to the hip or knee. His fancy stats this year were pretty good prior to his injury, IIRC.

Old
02-23-2017, 01:00 AM
yukonfloyd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
If you protect Myers, you will lose Armia, Dano or Lowry... so that IS the choice.

Old
02-23-2017, 01:02 AM
Whileee

Quote:
If you protect Myers, you will lose Armia, Dano or Lowry... so that IS the choice.
Or Perreault. I still think the Jets would protect Lowry over Perreault.

Old
02-23-2017, 01:54 AM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Or Perreault. I still think the Jets would protect Lowry over Perreault.
Friedmen said that Florida has some interest in Perreault and that the Jets had scouts at the last Florida game. I wonder if the Jets are looking to deal Perreault for a young asset that doesn't need protecting in order to protect one of the other youngins instead. That's why I said Matheson could be a target. He's been playing relatively well on their 2nd pairing but given the Panthers dcore they may not be willing to trade anyone. Really hard to say. Given Perreaults contract and the potential of the other guys and given our needs for a LHD. Especially one of Mathesons calibre would make me absolutely pull the trigger on that deal.
Then if it's possible we offer Myers up in a trade just before the XD. Hopefully he has some value. We free up the cap space of both Perreault and Myers get at least 1 good young LHD and an extra asset or two and manage to keep all of our young forwards in the process while only exposing the junk. We also have a tonne of cap space to work with to give Trouba and Ehlers long term deals and sign the rest of the guys with lots to spare for the next seasons raises.

We Protect
Scheif
Wheeler
Little
Lowry
Dano
Copp
Armia
Enstrom
Trouba
Buff

While essentially strengthening our LHD while losing a RHD. Perreault is versatile but I have a good feeling given development of youngins already on the roster and Roslovic/Connor probably making a case by next year we should be able to replace him internally.

Exposed are:
Matthias
Thorburn
Kosmachuk
Peluso
Lipon
Howden
Olsen
Telegin
Chiarot
Stuart
Postma
Melchiori
Strait
Kichton
Pavs
Hutch

Take your pick Vegas sorry not sorry.

Last edited by Daximus: 02-23-2017 at 02:00 AM.
Old
02-23-2017, 02:00 AM
BB88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
Friedmen said that Florida has some interest in Perreault and that the Jets had scouts at the last Florida game. I wonder if the Jets are looking to deal Perreault for a young asset that doesn't need protecting in order to protect one of the other youngins instead. That's why I said Matheson could be a target. He's been playing relatively well on their 2nd pairing but given the Panthers dcore they may not be willing to trade anyone. Really hard to say. Given Perreaults contract and the potential of the other guys and given our needs for a LHD. Especially one of Mathesons calibre would make me absolutely pull the trigger on that deal.
Then if it's possible we offer Myers up in a trade just before the XD. Hopefully he has some value. We free up the cap space of both Perreault and Myers get at least 1 good young LHD and an extra asset or two and manage to keep all of our young forwards in the process while only exposing the junk. We also have a tonne of cap space to work with to give Trouba and Ehlers long term deals and sign the rest of the guys with lots to spare for the next seasons raises.
I would make a bet and say Matheson stays in Florida.

Good comparison for his value is Morrissey from the Jets team, both are their teams future LD leaders, or atleast looking like ones today.
Matheson has a great skating ability which is a fit to the style they want to play, and he's on ELC.

Old
02-23-2017, 02:13 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB88 View Post

Good comparison for his value is Morrissey from the Jets team, both are their teams future LD leaders, or atleast looking like ones today.
Matheson has a great skating ability which is a fit to the style they want to play, and he's on ELC.
Morrissey > Matheson

Old
02-23-2017, 02:13 AM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB88 View Post

Yeah that's what I'm not sure about. Who else could the Jets possibly target? I can't see them making a deal for anyone that isn't exempt. That's just a lateral move.

Old
02-23-2017, 02:18 AM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:
Morrissey > Matheson
Absolutely but Matheson would still be a great partner for Buff.

Old
02-23-2017, 02:45 AM
BB88

Quote:
Morrissey > Matheson
Agree, but I was talking about their values to their teams.

Just like Jets Florida has ton of RD's, Ekblad, Demers, Pysyk, Petrovic but not that much on the left side, Yandle is the leader but he's 8 years older than Matheson.

Matheson- Ekblad is their Morrissey- Trouba.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
Yeah that's what I'm not sure about. Who else could the Jets possibly target? I can't see them making a deal for anyone that isn't exempt. That's just a lateral move.
I just don't see a fit there.

Only maybe is McCoshen but then again Florida would have expensive 3rd line with Bjugstad and Perreault when the new contracts kick in next year, Huberdeau, Smith& Ekblad.

Old
02-23-2017, 04:28 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

I'm pretty sure Panthers aren't looking for Perreault.

Old
02-23-2017, 04:43 AM
almostawake

Quote:
Morrissey > Matheson
Nothing I see in the analytics would lead me to believe there is a statistically significant difference in terms of actual performance.

At this point in time the only real difference I see between them is that Matheson is PKing while Morrissey is PPing.

Old
02-23-2017, 06:23 AM
Pongs21

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
I'm pretty sure Panthers aren't looking for Perreault.
Are they looking at any Jet's?

Old
02-23-2017, 06:42 AM
ffh

Quote:
Morrissey > Matheson
no way.not even close

Old
02-23-2017, 07:22 AM
YWGinYYZ