Notices

Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 16-17 Part XVII

Old
02-23-2017, 07:45 AM
zsam

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
I'm pretty sure Panthers aren't looking for Perreault.
Didn't your buddy get a permanent job with Panthers? I believe you know more than you can tell us .

zsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2017, 08:35 AM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostawake View Post
Nothing I see in the analytics would lead me to believe there is a statistically significant difference in terms of actual performance.

At this point in time the only real difference I see between them is that Matheson is PKing while Morrissey is PPing.
Matheson is also a year older. I would take Josh, slightly superior performance as a younger player.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2017, 08:46 AM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by uTurris View Post
I'd love for Cheveldayoff to make a trade with Florida and get both Barkov and Ekblad. Ekblad because of the Barrie connection and Barkov because him and Laine work well together.

I could imagine this would do it:

Florida:
Trouba
1st 2017
1st 2018
Comrie
Connor
De Leo

Winnipeg:
Barkov
Ekblad
Not a chance the Jets trade that much. Trouba is worth one of their players alone. I have to ask, are you just trolling now?

Last edited by Huffer: 02-23-2017 at 08:52 AM.
Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2017, 08:46 AM
dabizz

I think with Friedman putting the Panthers interest in Perrault together with 3 Jets scouts at the FLA-EDM game we are overlooking the possibility that the Jets may also (or may exclusively) be interested in players on the Oilers.

Brandon Davidson is a guy who's name has been thrown around on this board as well as the trade board as a possible candidate to move to the Jets and I think that makes a lot of sense. Left D, reasonably young, decent metrics and is being squeezed out a bit with Klefbom, and Nurse in the picture long term and Russell playing ahead of him now.

In terms of price for Davidson i don't think it would be excessive and the Oilers could use some help on the wing which is an area we have depth. A real hockey trade isn't one we see often at the deadline but I think this might be a case where it makes sense for both teams short and long term.

dabizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2017, 08:54 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabizz View Post
I think with Friedman putting the Panthers interest in Perrault together with 3 Jets scouts at the FLA-EDM game we are overlooking the possibility that the Jets may also (or may exclusively) be interested in players on the Oilers.

Brandon Davidson is a guy who's name has been thrown around on this board as well as the trade board as a possible candidate to move to the Jets and I think that makes a lot of sense. Left D, reasonably young, decent metrics and is being squeezed out a bit with Klefbom, and Nurse in the picture long term and Russell playing ahead of him now.

In terms of price for Davidson i don't think it would be excessive and the Oilers could use some help on the wing which is an area we have depth. A real hockey trade isn't one we see often at the deadline but I think this might be a case where it makes sense for both teams short and long term.
Davidson would be a decent pickup for depth (like Hutton), but Davidson needs to be protected in the ED.

Old
02-23-2017, 08:57 AM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Davidson would be a decent pickup for depth (like Hutton), but Davidson needs to be protected in the ED.
He also isn't all that good and has zero track record of being a good player at any level. IMO he's essentially a slightly better Ben Chariot. You aren't getting any offense from him.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2017, 08:58 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
Perreault for Mike Matheson done deal.
Easily IMO, and I like MP. Really can't see Florida doing that though.

Old
02-23-2017, 08:59 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
He also isn't all that good and has zero track record of being a good player at any level. IMO he's essentially a slightly better Ben Chariot. You aren't getting any offense from him.
You're probably right. He isn't a guy I would be targeting either.

Old
02-23-2017, 09:18 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabizz View Post

Don't think the Jets would have much interest. They aren't looking around for this season, but for the future. A depth D that needs to be protected in the expansion draft isn't all that much of a priority, I wouldn't think.

Whileee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2017, 09:22 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
I'm pretty sure Panthers aren't looking for Perreault.
The future cap hit would be a problem for Florida, but he could certainly help them down the stretch this season.

Maybe the Jets scouts just like being in Florida.

Old
02-23-2017, 09:32 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostawake View Post
Nothing I see in the analytics would lead me to believe there is a statistically significant difference in terms of actual performance.

At this point in time the only real difference I see between them is that Matheson is PKing while Morrissey is PPing.
Morrissey scores at a higher rate and is best on team in Rel CF%, while Matheson is a net negative. Morrissey is a year younger.

I think Morrissey is better than Matheson, all things considered. I didn't say I thought he was much better.

Morrissey plays more on the PK these days. Over the season, he has about half a minute per game on each of the PP and PK.

Old
02-23-2017, 10:02 AM
Huffer

Matheson would be ideal, he solves so many problems and is expansion exempt. Ignoring him for a moment (because I really don't see him being available),

any thoughts on other Florida prospects?

I'd love to hear more about Henrik Borgstrom. 6'3" finish centre putting up 1.12 ppg in the NCAA at 19.

I like Hawryluk as well.

Although a D is really the need (don't see any I would want besides Matheson though).

Last edited by Huffer: 02-23-2017 at 10:09 AM.
Old
02-23-2017, 10:28 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Matheson would be ideal, he solves so many problems and is expansion exempt. Ignoring him for a moment (because I really don't see him being available),

I'd love to hear more about Henrik Borgstrom. 6'3" finish centre putting up 1.12 ppg in the NCAA at 19.
I think it's probably more reasonable to look at futures, though I'm not sure who Florida would take from the Jets for that. Perreault doesn't seem like a good fit due to cap issues, unless the Panthers can find a way to move Jokinen in the off-season (or maybe they can carry the two together for next season with a tight cap).

Regardless, I would not be surprised if the Jets are considering moving Perreault for youth / futures. They have Dano, Connor, Petan and Roslovic as young forwards who can probably take Perreault's role on the wing within the next year or two, and they'll have some difficulty protecting him anyway. If the Jets think Connor is ready for a top-9 role, they'll probably try to free up roster space for him.

Old
02-23-2017, 10:31 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
I think it's probably more reasonable to look at futures, though I'm not sure who Florida would take from the Jets for that. Perreault doesn't seem like a good fit due to cap issues, unless the Panthers can find a way to move Jokinen in the off-season (or maybe they can carry the two together for next season with a tight cap).

Regardless, I would not be surprised if the Jets are considering moving Perreault for youth / futures. They have Dano, Connor, Petan and Roslovic as young forwards who can probably take Perreault's role on the wing within the next year or two, and they'll have some difficulty protecting him anyway. If the Jets think Connor is ready for a top-9 role, they'll probably try to free up roster space for him.
Do they really have cap issues though? They have 13 million in space for next season and I don't think Jagr gets a raise. I think Pysyk and Petrovic get raises, but not huge ones.

Old
02-23-2017, 10:32 AM
Whileee

Quote:

I like Hawryluk as well.

Although a D is really the need (don't see any I would want besides Matheson though).
Jets would have to give up more than Perreault to have a chance at Matheson, and I highly doubt that the Panthers would move Matheson in any case.

Not sure who else the Jets might be scouting on the Panthers' roster.

Would the Jets consider something like Perreault for Jokinen and futures (pick and/or prospect)? Jokinen would give them some veteran winger depth for next season, and then free up cap space to start re-signing their young stars.

Old
02-23-2017, 10:35 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Do they really have cap issues though? They have 13 million in space for next season and I don't think Jagr gets a raise. I think Pysyk and Petrovic get raises, but not huge ones.
I think that they are around $60M in cap hit for next season. Perreault would bring them up to about $64M, with only 16 roster spots filled. They'd need to add 7 more players with only about $10M in cap space. That's not terrible, but could be a bit tight.

With the Panthers, I always thought the salary constraint was more financial than pac related.

Old
02-23-2017, 10:37 AM
robertocarlos

vCash: 110
Quote:
Or Perreault. I still think the Jets would protect Lowry over Perreault.
They should protect Armia over Lowry.

robertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2017, 10:39 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
They should protect Armia over Lowry.
Maybe, but I don't think they will.

Old
02-23-2017, 10:45 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Jets would have to give up more than Perreault to have a chance at Matheson, and I highly doubt that the Panthers would move Matheson in any case.

Not sure who else the Jets might be scouting on the Panthers' roster.

Would the Jets consider something like Perreault for Jokinen and futures (pick and/or prospect)? Jokinen would give them some veteran winger depth for next season, and then free up cap space to start re-signing their young stars.
Unless it's for some seriously special prospects or picks, that doesn't sound too enticing to me.

Quote:
I think that they are around $60M in cap hit for next season. Perreault would bring them up to about $64M, with only 16 roster spots filled. They'd need to add 7 more players with only about $10M in cap space. That's not terrible, but could be a bit tight.

With the Panthers, I always thought the salary constraint was more financial than pac related.
They would be close I think, but it looks like the guys they would likely be looking to sign are on the bottom end.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/panthers

Old
02-23-2017, 10:45 AM
Mortimer Snerd

vCash: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
He is more than slightly better than Chiarot, I think. No more offense but better defense. I'd be happy to get him - after the XD.

Quote:
Easily IMO, and I like MP. Really can't see Florida doing that though.
I would be willing to add a bit for MM but I still don't think Florida does it unless the add is too big for us. Friedman doesn't seem to be the quality source that he used to be. Has he had anything right in the last couple of years?

Quote:

I like Hawryluk as well.

The only way anything other than D makes sense is if we get simeone we can flip or package for D. That or picks. We can use picks to draft D but that doesn't provide any immediate help.

Mortimer Snerd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2017, 10:48 AM
ffh

Quote:

regarding all the players you think can replace Perrault in a year or two. I'm sure the jets thought of all this for a long time and decided to offer him a 4 year contract. its a lot smarter if the prospects can first prove they can replace someone then trade a player and hope the prospect can replace them.

ffh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2017, 10:49 AM
almostawake

Quote:
Morrissey scores at a higher rate and is best on team in Rel CF%, while Matheson is a net negative. Morrissey is a year younger.

I think Morrissey is better than Matheson, all things considered. I didn't say I thought he was much better.

Morrissey plays more on the PK these days. Over the season, he has about half a minute per game on each of the PP and PK.
I just fail to see the gap.
Attached Images
File Type: png Story 1.png‎ (84.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: png Story 1(1).png‎ (83.9 KB, 10 views)

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2017, 10:56 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
I would be willing to add a bit for MM but I still don't think Florida does it unless the add is too big for us. Friedman doesn't seem to be the quality source that he used to be. Has he had anything right in the last couple of years?
Agreed. I'd add too, but looking from Florida's point of view it doesn't make a lot of sense to move Matheson for Perreault. They don't have a lot of LHD depth either and he's their best young LHD.

Agree on Elliot, I think he's a quality journalist, but he's had some head scratchers lately. Like when he thought we should trade for MAF.

To be fair to him though, he did post this before it happened:

"10. I think Pittsburgh was in on Michael Stone, but may have needed time for cap reasons. You know who makes a ton of sense for them? Ron Hainsey. Jim Rutherford knows him well. Moving Stone was a signal Coyotes GM John Chayka is ready to go after collecting intel."

And to be fair as well, he never mentioned any Florida players, just Florida's possible interest in MP. We've focused on Matheson because he'd be a dream return (for us).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
The only way anything other than D makes sense is if we get simeone we can flip or package for D. That or picks. We can use picks to draft D but that doesn't provide any immediate help.
Agreed, although we're seeing how impossible it is to get those D out there in trades. GM's are loath to part with them it seems.

Old
02-23-2017, 10:58 AM
robertocarlos

vCash: 110
Quote:
Maybe, but I don't think they will.
Yes. Maybe. I forgot about the heavy hitting part of the game. Trouba and Lowry are mean, mostly Trouba.

robertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2017, 11:11 AM
Mortimer Snerd

vCash: 127
Quote:
Agreed. I'd add too, but looking from Florida's point of view it doesn't make a lot of sense to move Matheson for Perreault. They don't have a lot of LHD depth either and he's their best young LHD.

Agree on Elliot, I think he's a quality journalist, but he's had some head scratchers lately. Like when he thought we should trade for MAF.

To be fair to him though, he did post this before it happened:

"10. I think Pittsburgh was in on Michael Stone, but may have needed time for cap reasons. You know who makes a ton of sense for them? Ron Hainsey. Jim Rutherford knows him well. Moving Stone was a signal Coyotes GM John Chayka is ready to go after collecting intel."

And to be fair as well, he never mentioned any Florida players, just Florida's possible interest in MP. We've focused on Matheson because he'd be a dream return (for us).

Agreed, although we're seeing how impossible it is to get those D out there in trades. GM's are loath to part with them it seems.
OK, that's 1.

3rd pair D shouldn't be that hard to get. Good ones I mean. I don't like the value of MP for a Chiarot upgrade but, once again consider Hall/Larsson. That may just be the market. I would want it to be one hella good 3LD though.

Mortimer Snerd is online now   Reply With Quote