HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Mikhail Sergachev Part III

Closed Thread

Old
05-19-2017, 06:41 PM
Lebowski
El Duderino

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial View Post
Not every player take 5 years to make an impact.

The kid will be on the team next year, I don't see them sending him back to junior for one more year.
Look at the defensemen drafted in 2012.

Plenty of good ones. How many are an upgrade on a Markov nearing retirement? How many turn this team into a contender?

The answer to both of these questions is none.

Old
05-19-2017, 06:57 PM
LastWordArmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Legit question.

Would anybody here trade Sergachev for the 3rd overall of this year's draft if both Hischier and Patrick are gone off the boards?
NOPE... 100% no.

Old
05-19-2017, 07:00 PM
deandebean

Impressed by his first period. Smooth.

Old
05-19-2017, 07:03 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post

Plenty of good ones. How many are an upgrade on a Markov nearing retirement? How many turn this team into a contender?

Well put.

We are in for a rude awakening REAL soon

Old
05-19-2017, 07:12 PM
Jaynki
Toe2Toe

Sergachev is untouchable.

I am happy that Bergevin stick to his prospect, he won't trade Serg.

McDonagh for Gomez is still too fresh in my memory. And it's a lot more about McDonagh than Gomez.

Old
05-19-2017, 07:44 PM
LyricalLyricist
Retired

He's not untouchable but he shouldn't be used as trade bait casually either.

Old
05-19-2017, 08:32 PM
Belial

Quote:

I'm not expecting him to replace Markov next year. I think Marky still has good hockey in him.

You have young D's making the league and being solid every year.

Werenski, Chychrun, Ekblad, Provorov, Carlo, Hanifin...

Old
05-19-2017, 08:34 PM
le_sean

I just don't like how he stands completely upright with one hand on the stick when the play isn't around him. He needs to be ready all of the time.

Old
05-19-2017, 08:41 PM
HOPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I just don't like how he stands completely upright with one hand on the stick when the play isn't around him. He needs to be ready all of the time.
yep. same here, i hate how ****ing non-chalant he is. realy not sold on him at all. hes only good on the counter rush. he has a slow first step. way too static without the puck and always slow to react in defensive plays, hesitating to do a little pinch stick play and gets caught all the time, shoulnt happen in the OHL when you're suppose to be that high caliber Dman

Old
05-19-2017, 08:43 PM
76ftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOPE View Post
yep. same here, i hate how ****ing non-chalant he is. realy not sold on him at all. hes only good on the counter rush. he has a slow first step. way too static without the puck and always slow to react in defensive plays, hesitating to do a little pinch stick play and gets caught all the time, shoulnt happen in the OHL when you're suppose to be that high caliber Dman
Wow amazing he's only good at one thing and still managed to be a top 10 player in an nhl draft.

Old
05-19-2017, 08:50 PM
HOPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ftw View Post
Wow amazing he's only good at one thing and still managed to be a top 10 player in an nhl draft.
i mean he has a heavy slapper, pretty good first pass, but his defensive IQ is realy slow, and his first step isnt good, he has a good puck cover when hes gone tho, tbh i have never been high on sergachev and he isnt impressing me at all. i've said this almost a year ago and will repeat it over and over, Mete will be a better overall Dman than sergachev

Old
05-19-2017, 08:59 PM
Doc McKenna

Addison scored. Like I said, kid is a real gamer. If they trade him they will be making a huge mistake.

Old
05-19-2017, 09:00 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:

Erik Karlsson wouldnt turn this team in a contender.

But Lindholm, Rielly, Trouba, Parayko, Gost, Dumba, Severson, Murray, Slavin, Ceci and Matheson all make this teams top 4 without looking at handedness and a few of them make us look like we have a top 5 defense in the league.

Old
05-19-2017, 09:08 PM
Lebowski
El Duderino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Erik Karlsson wouldnt turn this team in a contender.

But Lindholm, Rielly, Trouba, Parayko, Gost, Dumba, Severson, Murray, Slavin, Ceci and Matheson all make this teams top 4 without looking at handedness and a few of them make us look like we have a top 5 defense in the league.
I'm not talking about adding one of them to our defense, I'm talking about replacing Markov with any one of these guys.

Doesn't change a thing for us.

Old
05-19-2017, 09:24 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
I'm not talking about adding one of them to our defense, I'm talking about replacing Markov with any one of these guys.

Doesn't change a thing for us.
Well Markov was still incredibly good this year so its a stupid argument to begin with and were making a lot of assumptions here. Is Markov showing any signs of retirement? I dont see it, he was pretty much a 1B all year.

Old
05-19-2017, 10:21 PM
Goldenhands

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOPE View Post
i mean he has a heavy slapper, pretty good first pass, but his defensive IQ is realy slow, and his first step isnt good, he has a good puck cover when hes gone tho, tbh i have never been high on sergachev and he isnt impressing me at all. i've said this almost a year ago and will repeat it over and over, Mete will be a better overall Dman than sergachev
So sad to be that wrong.. Sergachev only needs some minor adjustment at times when the puck is deep in his own zone but he still made huge strides this year in that part of the game, otherwise, his gap control is awesome, he will either destroy any fowards trying to pass him along the board or shutting down the guy trying to cut inside with his body or with a good stick.. His gap control is elite level, he will basically never concede the blueline due to his great mobility and physical tools.. As for his first step, thats quite good, he just doesnt feel the need to use it alot since he can switch gears easily to fool anyone on the ice.. As for Mete being better than Sergachev, well, I see your preference for dynamic skating defensemen who go full speed all the time.. I like mete alot too but going full speed all the time is very demanding, Mete has basically no physical tools, he has a good stick and is good at tracking opposing fowards but a guy like Sergachev will always have way more ease to handle big physical fowards and thats a huge advantage he has there on Mete.. Sergachev has also a way better shot.. So the only thing Mete has on Sergachev is his deceptive speed, but considering Sergachev isnt that bad of a skater as well, I think its safe to say Sergachev's chances to be the better overall defenseman of the 2 are way better..

Last edited by Goldenhands: 05-19-2017 at 10:34 PM.
Old
05-19-2017, 11:55 PM
cjbhab

i see people are overrating this guy because of the mcdonagh trade.. theres no connection to be made there. Sergachev could likely be the next David Fischer.. when that happens, i won't even bother to say i told you so.

Old
05-20-2017, 12:01 AM
KawaYui

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbhab View Post
i see people are overrating this guy because of the mcdonagh trade.. theres no connection to be made there. Sergachev could likely be the next David Fischer.. when that happens, i won't even bother to say i told you so.
He could also be the next Karlsson
When that happens, I won't even bother to say I told you so.

Old
05-20-2017, 12:06 AM
jaffy27
From Russia wth Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawaYui View Post
He could also be the next Karlsson
When that happens, I won't even bother to say I told you so.
I will.....

Old
05-20-2017, 12:12 AM
Lebowski
El Duderino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Well Markov was still incredibly good this year so its a stupid argument to begin with and were making a lot of assumptions here. Is Markov showing any signs of retirement? I dont see it, he was pretty much a 1B all year.
It's not a stupid argument, it's exactly my point. In a best case scenario, Sergachev, 3 or 4 years from now, gives you a similar output to the current Markov. There's also a strong possibility he never comes anywhere close to that level. Our team, as it is, isn't good enough with Markov. It won't be good enough with Sergachev either.

Point being, we have pressing needs elsewhere in the line-up, we have to compete in the near future or else our core goes to waste, and Sergachev is our best trading chip.

Spare me the Gomez comparisons, big trades can be mutually beneficial. The issue wasn't trading McDonagh, it's who he got traded for.

Old
05-20-2017, 12:19 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
It's not a stupid argument, it's exactly my point. In a best case scenario, Sergachev, 3 or 4 years from now, gives you a similar output to the current Markov. There's also a strong possibility he never comes anywhere close to that level. Our team, as it is, isn't good enough with Markov. It won't be good enough with Sergachev either.

Point being, we have pressing needs elsewhere in the line-up, we have to compete in the near future or else our core goes to waste, and Sergachev is our best trading chip.

Spare me the Gomez comparisons, big trades can be mutually beneficial. The issue wasn't trading McDonagh, it's who he got traded for.
Sergachev alone isn't going to get you a #1. He's only a prospect.

Patches will. If we want to continue getting 100+ points during the regular and bowing out early in the playoffs you keep Patches. If you want to win the cup you trade this player for one that brings it when it counts.

So I would say Patches is the best trading chip.

Old
05-20-2017, 12:23 AM
Lebowski
El Duderino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Icing View Post
Sergachev alone isn't going to get you a #1. He's only a prospect.

Patches will. If we want to continue getting 100+ points during the regular and bowing out early in the playoffs you keep Patches. If you want to win the cup you trade this player for one that brings it when it counts.

So I would say Patches is the best trading chip.
Of course he doesn't get you a #1 center alone. Neither would Patches, for the record.

I'm not opposed to moving Pacioretty, but for me the reason we should consider it is due to his upcoming contract. He's not a player that's worth elite money, but he'll probably get paid elite money based on stats alone.

Old
05-20-2017, 12:54 AM
Belial

Quote:

I gave you a list of young D's that came in the league and made a difference right away. Why are you ignoring it?

Werenski got 47 points this year in Columbus at 19 years old!

The kid was drafted 8th overall in 2015.

Hanifin got 29 points with Carolina

Drafted 5th overall in 2015.

Provorov got 30 points in Philadelphia.

Drafted 7th overall in 2015.

Chychrun got 20 points in 68 games in Arizona.

Drafted after Sergachev, 16th overall in 2016.

You keep talking that it will take at least 3-4 more years when clearly he could be good enough as soon as next season.

Old
05-20-2017, 01:04 AM
Lebowski
El Duderino

Most of these guys were better prospects than Sergachev, and, aside from Werenski, none of these guys would significantly change the outlook of this team at the moment.

Old
05-20-2017, 01:39 AM
Belial

Quote:
Most of these guys were better prospects than Sergachev, and, aside from Werenski, none of these guys would significantly change the outlook of this team at the moment.
No, they weren't. And who said Sergachev is not the next Werenski?

Why are we even talking about our D? We're fine till Markov retires. And then Sergachev will take his place, that's why we can't afford to trade this kid.

Closed Thread