HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mikhail Sergachev Part III

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2017, 01:44 PM
TheAntiPrice

vCash: 1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc McKenna View Post
And no it wasn't off ice. Its a legit reason and makes a lot of sense despite why we all wondered why he wasn't sent down or played. Kid took a big hit is all. Infer what you want from that.
Concussion?

Old
02-25-2017, 01:46 PM
Drew4u

vCash: 500
People are crazy. He's only 18 years old. No defencemen will be good defensively right from the draft. Sergachev has elite offensive skills. Just because he was picked 9th doesn't mean he can't become a star. Karlsson was picked 15th because he was weak without the puck and he became the one of the best defencemen. Defence is something you can learn, you can't learn offence however

Last edited by Drew4u: 02-25-2017 at 02:02 PM.
Old
02-25-2017, 01:50 PM
Uncle Gary
Habs/Preds

You can learn defence. You can't learn offence.

Old
02-25-2017, 01:56 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary View Post
Defense ..... offense ....

Old
02-25-2017, 01:58 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawaYui View Post
Playing in the ohl next year wont help him improve his game. He's too good for the ohl
If he isn't going to play in the NHL he should sign a 1-yr deal in Europe to play against men

Old
02-25-2017, 02:47 PM
Roadhouse
Rads-altimeter

vCash: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial View Post
He can't play in the AHL next year, and there's no way they send him back to junior for another year. He has nothing more to learn down there...
Right. That's what it comes down to IMO. Picking the lesser of two 'evils' relative to player development, I pick the NHL. So will the team, probably.

Why? Skills and size. Chucky only had skills and he's not a complete disaster today contrary to what is sometimes said on this board. Sergachev doesn't even have to bulk up, he's there already. And his skating is an another dimension to Chucky's.

Play him on the 2nd or 3rd pairing so he doesn't face the Getzlafs of the league too often and teach him defense. Now that it's CJ and not MT at the wheel, we should feel much better about coach-player relationships.

If you think he looks demotivated/deflated now, try leaving him in the OHL next year after a Memorial Cup tournament and ANOTHER NHL training camp. Sheesh.

Old
02-25-2017, 02:50 PM
ottawa

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary View Post
Defense...offense....

02-25-2017, 03:48 PM
embracedbias

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfm133 View Post
Neilsen was 19.5 months older than Sergachev in his post draft year. super comparison...
that difference matters far less than you think

and, anyway, the take away is that sergachev is around neilsen's level from last year, and neilsen is not in the NHL.

that is, sergachev may need some seasoning in the AHL as well

Old
02-25-2017, 04:08 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

If Sergachev continues to struggle defensively we always have the option of switching him to forward. Wouldn't be a huge loss but we do need a top pairing puck moving D man badly.

Old
02-25-2017, 05:31 PM
Doc McKenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhouse View Post
Right. That's what it comes down to IMO. Picking the lesser of two 'evils' relative to player development, I pick the NHL. So will the team, probably.

Why? Skills and size. Chucky only had skills and he's not a complete disaster today contrary to what is sometimes said on this board. Sergachev doesn't even have to bulk up, he's there already. And his skating is an another dimension to Chucky's.

Play him on the 2nd or 3rd pairing so he doesn't face the Getzlafs of the league too often and teach him defense. Now that it's CJ and not MT at the wheel, we should feel much better about coach-player relationships.

If you think he looks demotivated/deflated now, try leaving him in the OHL next year after a Memorial Cup tournament and ANOTHER NHL training camp. Sheesh.
major issue with the canadian hockey league structure(not being able to go to the AHL). Though him playing for Syl is worse than terrible. He can play both sides so at least he has a chance at getting icetime from right or left D. Like I said he hasn't been as good as his call up and he is playing against lesser players. As I mentioned, might be a kovalev thing. He tends to pass to his D partner for breakouts about 60% that may be because they key in on whatever side he is playing. First hand was far more interesting than watching the spits from the TV.

Toronto second rounder actually looked pretty good. Bracco? Real good skater. Its weird because the level of skating for some of the players isn't much better than I am in my 40's. So good skaters should be ripping it up.

Old
02-25-2017, 05:37 PM
Doc McKenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
Doc's not saying the kids a bust, he's merely saying he's not NHL ready just yet

and i tend to agree with him.
Exactly, he needs some polish and I don't know if he will get that skating around at a lot of practices. Hard to say. If MT was still coach I wouldn't like his odds at all of making the team. CJ on the other hand? Well he may have a chance, but he does have to leapfrog a lot of other prospects that we have been oohing and aahing about over the last 2 seasons.
Juulson, Nesterov, Redmond, Pateryn, hell even nate. A lot of people standing in line for the job.

Old
02-26-2017, 12:26 AM
Lebowski
El Duderino

Quote:
Exactly, he needs some polish and I don't know if he will get that skating around at a lot of practices. Hard to say. If MT was still coach I wouldn't like his odds at all of making the team. CJ on the other hand? Well he may have a chance, but he does have to leapfrog a lot of other prospects that we have been oohing and aahing about over the last 2 seasons.
Juulson, Nesterov, Redmond, Pateryn, hell even nate. A lot of people standing in line for the job.
He'd need to have made a ton of progress since last year to warrant getting a roster spot over any of Markov/Beaulieu/Emelin as it currently stands.

He just wasn't ready in the pre-season and the few regular season games he played.

We'll see how it goes next year, but there's no rush to get him on the team unless he forces Julien's hand by making himself indispensable. I disagree with the idea that he'd be "too good" to spend another year in junior. He's not statistically dominating the OHL to a point where I'd say he's too good for the league.

A good comparable would be Dougie Hamilton, in my opinion. He spent 4 years (or 3 and a half) in juniors, and I'd say he's doing pretty good for himself in the NHL nowadays. He was a lot more dominant than Sergachev, statistically wise at least, in his D+1 season as well.

Old
02-26-2017, 12:38 AM
thomashefe

Quote:
Originally Posted by embracedbias View Post
that difference matters far less than you think

and, anyway, the take away is that sergachev is around neilsen's level from last year, and neilsen is not in the NHL.

that is, sergachev may need some seasoning in the AHL as well
Im pretty certain it matters far more than you think

Old
02-26-2017, 01:31 AM
Belial

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
He'd need to have made a ton of progress since last year to warrant getting a roster spot over any of Markov/Beaulieu/Emelin as it currently stands.

He just wasn't ready in the pre-season and the few regular season games he played.

We'll see how it goes next year, but there's no rush to get him on the team unless he forces Julien's hand by making himself indispensable. I disagree with the idea that he'd be "too good" to spend another year in junior. He's not statistically dominating the OHL to a point where I'd say he's too good for the league.

A good comparable would be Dougie Hamilton, in my opinion. He spent 4 years (or 3 and a half) in juniors, and I'd say he's doing pretty good for himself in the NHL nowadays. He was a lot more dominant than Sergachev, statistically wise at least, in his D+1 season as well.
Just looking at points is the worst thing you can do, to be honest...

Windsor is not a powerhouse and they don't score a lot of goals. Hamilton played on a terrific team that scored the most goals in the league that year.

That Niagara team was deadly on the PP and Hamilton had 39 points on the PP from his total of 72 points. That gives him 33 points at ES in 50 GP.

Windsor is not very good on the PP , Sergachev only has 8 assists on the PP from his total of 38 points. That gives him 30 points at ES in 40 GP.

Old
02-26-2017, 01:50 AM
M.C.G. 31
BE HUMBLE

vCash: 994
His defensive game is where I ****ing hate this CHL thing. He won't learn anymore playing there so he may be forced to stay in the NHL next season even if he isn't completely ready. I wish he could play half the season in the AHL and then be brought up.

Of course, all that if he isn't completely ready. Maybe he comes to camp completely ready and with help from Julien and co. the transition for him is seamless and they have trust in him and help him learn from his mistakes. In which case, it's a moot point.

Old
02-26-2017, 05:57 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

We'll just have to wait and see how it goes for him at camp, if it goes well I think he makes the team, if not then back to the OHL. I didn't like what I saw when he was first sent down but since then he's seems to be much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomashefe View Post
Im pretty certain it matters far more than you think
agreed.

Old
02-26-2017, 06:19 AM
get25

vCash: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial View Post
Just looking at points is the worst thing you can do, to be honest...

Windsor is not a powerhouse and they don't score a lot of goals. Hamilton played on a terrific team that scored the most goals in the league that year.

That Niagara team was deadly on the PP and Hamilton had 39 points on the PP from his total of 72 points. That gives him 33 points at ES in 50 GP.

Windsor is not very good on the PP , Sergachev only has 8 assists on the PP from his total of 38 points. That gives him 30 points at ES in 40 GP.
Actually you need to look at the game log.
He did 2 points in his first 6 games.

Since then, he did 9G-27A in 34 GP. Pretty good and among top of the OHL in PPG.

We will probably loose one of Beaulieu/Emelin in the expansion draft.
My guess is that Emelin will be available but his contract may prevent him to be picked. One year at 4.4M (4.1M SCap).

That draft will bring at least one young player in almost every team.

I have the feeling that LV will either pick Pateryn or a forward from us.

To me the questions are:
Can he be a bottom-6 LHD next year? (behind Markov and Beaulieu/Emelin)
Can Juulsen be a bottom-6 RHD next year? (better than Pateryn?)

Old
02-26-2017, 06:28 AM
get25

vCash: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post

With the expansion draft we may loose Beaulieu/Emelin or Pateryn.

I do not think that we will loose a forward (Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Shaw, Danault, XXX (Byron?), YYY (Radulov) being protected.
There is Plekanec, Mitchell, Flynn and Andrighetto but I do not see LV going after them.

Old
02-26-2017, 01:12 PM
Belial

Windsor-Sarnia! Game on!

Old
02-26-2017, 02:59 PM
ottawa

How did he play vs London? judging by the stats, doesn't seem like he had a good game.

Old
02-26-2017, 03:01 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew4u View Post
People are crazy. He's only 18 years old. No defencemen will be good defensively right from the draft. Sergachev has elite offensive skills. Just because he was picked 9th doesn't mean he can't become a star. Karlsson was picked 15th because he was weak without the puck and he became the one of the best defencemen. Defence is something you can learn, you can't learn offence however
Nonsense. If you're not 18 and leading the NHL in points for a D then you're obviously a bust.

Old
02-26-2017, 03:06 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Could we loan him to the KHL? It'd be an obvious step up for him and maybe he could join the team during the playoffs if that's possible? (Talking for next year)

Old
02-26-2017, 03:15 PM
ottawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
Could we loan him to the KHL? It'd be an obvious step up for him and maybe he could join the team during the playoffs if that's possible? (Talking for next year)
Not a chance the habs management loans him to the KHL of all leagues...the SHL would be more realistic, but even then, I don't think that would happen either.

Old
02-26-2017, 03:25 PM
smcgreg

Quote:
major issue with the canadian hockey league structure(not being able to go to the AHL). Though him playing for Syl is worse than terrible. He can play both sides so at least he has a chance at getting icetime from right or left D. Like I said he hasn't been as good as his call up and he is playing against lesser players. As I mentioned, might be a kovalev thing. He tends to pass to his D partner for breakouts about 60% that may be because they key in on whatever side he is playing. First hand was far more interesting than watching the spits from the TV.

Toronto second rounder actually looked pretty good. Bracco? Real good skater. Its weird because the level of skating for some of the players isn't much better than I am in my 40's. So good skaters should be ripping it up.
Bracco's skating is incredible. I have a funny story about it that is too long to post here, but the gist is, he can do full speed heel to heel maneuvers under any condition,... with the puck. He can open up at full speed and really throw his defender off. It's obviously great for work behind the net as well. I've not seen anybody else that does it as much and at the level that he can, so, it serves as his advantage even though he's smaller and nothing special in other aspects.

Old
02-26-2017, 03:31 PM
Belial

Sergachev took a High stick minor + Unsportsmanlike cnd. at the end of the second period and got benched for the entire third period!

The funniest thing is that Windsor was up 2:0 entering the third period and lost the game 4:2 with Sergachev rotting on the bench ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
How did he play vs London? judging by the stats, doesn't seem like he had a good game.
He was fine.

Closed Thread