HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread IV

Old
05-19-2017, 06:42 AM
DXStriker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobleSix View Post
huh? Can you elaborate on this some more? I don't remember this.

As for Tony and Nilan, they will rage and rant forever. When Galchenyuk is traded Nilan will come out with some more hearsay trash lies in order to justify the trade and explain why Galchenyuk is **** and how he will never be any good. Even if the trade is completely horrible (which it will be. Book it), Nilan will say that "Galchenyuk just had to go". Tony will just agree with him and also talk about some hearsay garbage, then he will move on to rage and rant about oversheeting players that will never even see arbitration.

They are vultures. They'll move on to the next easy target that generates the most hits. My guess is either Sergachev or Radulov (if he even re signs).
It was during the Friday Scrum last week . Like a minute or two back and forth , Melnick took a indirect dig at tony about Tony and his sources . Tony said i keep my sources secret so i can keep having them and then asked if Melnick kept his . Melnick said he doesn't keep his sources secret and his sources know that and he doesn't play the secret game cause he learned his lesson

DXStriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 08:43 AM
NobleSix
Max Patio-Ready

vCash: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXStriker View Post
It was during the Friday Scrum last week . Like a minute or two back and forth , Melnick took a indirect dig at tony about Tony and his sources . Tony said i keep my sources secret so i can keep having them and then asked if Melnick kept his . Melnick said he doesn't keep his sources secret and his sources know that and he doesn't play the secret game cause he learned his lesson
Thanks, that's interesting.

Any idea about what the lesson was that Melnick learned?

NobleSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 08:48 AM
NobleSix
Max Patio-Ready

vCash: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C.G. 31 View Post
Ahh, yes. That sounds like something Nilan would do. I remember the libelous rant he went on about Seguin last year in a segment for some reason and how "he just had to go" in Boston.
Yep, its horrible. That segment with Tony and Nilan ranting back and forth is almost unbearable sometimes. They pick a subject and beat it to death for months until it is over with.

The amount of ranting about Subban last year before the trade was unbelievable. Now they have moved on to Chucky. They **** on him at least once per segment, and it's the exact same comments every time.

They need some better/new material.

NobleSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 08:53 AM
Hank Scorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobleSix View Post
Yep, its horrible. That segment with Tony and Nilan ranting back and forth is almost unbearable sometimes. They pick a subject and beat it to death for months until it is over with.

The amount of ranting about Subban last year before the trade was unbelievable. Now they have moved on to Chucky. They **** on him at least once per segment, and it's the exact same comments every time.

They need some better/new material.
I, personally, can't take it anymore. I can't listen to off the cuff unless I know Chris isn't there and Habs Lunch, especially when it's just Tony and Chris, is pretty much the same exact show over and over again. They need someone to balance them out but it can't be just anyone, it has to be someone like Melnick who's established or else they'll just get talked over. But, yea, 12p.m.-3p.m. on 690 is difficult to listen to, especially when they're completely fixated on a single player or telling everyone else why they're wrong.

Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 10:03 AM
Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
It's quite the opposite. Gallo has no value as a sportscaster.
I can listen to Gallo because he doesn't let Melnick or anyone bully him into an opinion.

Rod Francis though lets Melnick tell him what his opinion is. Being Melnick's echo makes him pretty irrelevant on there.

Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 10:48 AM
Runner77

vCash: 9000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
I can listen to Gallo because he doesn't let Melnick or anyone bully him into an opinion.

Rod Francis though lets Melnick tell him what his opinion is. Being Melnick's echo makes him pretty irrelevant on there.
I get that Melnick needs a strong counterpart to balance out his strong opinions. Gallo just comes across as smug and entitled. His weekend show is juvenile. He was especially atrocious during post game shows this past season, displaying a consdescending attitude with so many callers.

Humility goes a long way. This guy has none. He'd be better served doing his classes at a smaller station out in the sticks, like all sportscasters used to do until 690 decided to hand out gigs like candy.

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 10:58 AM
Runner77

Marinaro on desperation mode, pushing soccer on his show and now asking some guy in Spain who holds camps for 14 year olds. Tony, call the guy on a private line, if you're looking to book his camp for one of your kids. Stop using air time for that crap.

Old
05-19-2017, 11:03 AM
Chili

Quote:
I get that Melnick needs a strong counterpart to balance out his strong opinions. Gallo just comes across as smug and entitled. His weekend show is juvenile. He was especially atrocious during post game shows this past season, displaying a consdescending attitude with so many callers.

Humility goes a long way. This guy has none. He'd be better served doing his classes at a smaller station out in the sticks, like all sportscasters used to do until 690 decided to hand out gigs like candy.
In fairness to Gallo and Campbell, can't imagine doing a post game show, some of the callers are beyond bizarre. Plus listening to the same rant multiple times a night and repeated from the same callers. Probably doesn't help the huge hours those kids put in.

I can listen to Bonsoir Les Sportifs because there is good respect between the callers and Ron Fournier and maybe that's the key.

Old
05-19-2017, 11:17 AM
Runner77

Quote:
In fairness to Gallo and Campbell, can't imagine doing a post game show, some of the callers are beyond bizarre. Plus listening to the same rant multiple times a night and repeated from the same callers. Probably doesn't help the huge hours those kids put in.

I can listen to Bonsoir Les Sportifs because there is good respect between the callers and Ron Fournier and maybe that's the key.
I agree that callers can be bizarre, however it's bad form to continuously cut people off and even make snide remarks about their opinions. Not everyone is sports-savvy, some people are just fans looking for an outlet to vent. Let them, they're part of the audience who supports the station's advertising and revenue stream. Gallo and Campbell are destroying so much of the goodwill that others at the station work hard at building. To me that smacks of a lack of experience which begets poor judgment, these guys feel entitled, they don't know how lucky they are to have the jobs they do.

Can they be better broadcasters? Why not, but right now, they're learning on our time and it's irritating. And that shouldn't be happening on Montreal's only full time English sports station.

Old
05-19-2017, 11:46 AM
Chili

Quote:
I agree that callers can be bizarre, however it's bad form to continuously cut people off and even make snide remarks about their opinions. Not everyone is sports-savvy, some people are just fans looking for an outlet to vent. Let them, they're part of the audience who supports the station's advertising and revenue stream. Gallo and Campbell are destroying so much of the goodwill that others at the station work hard at building. To me that smacks of a lack of experience which begets poor judgment, these guys feel entitled, they don't know how lucky they are to have the jobs they do.

Can they be better broadcasters? Why not, but right now, they're learning on our time and it's irritating. And that shouldn't be happening on Montreal's only full time English sports station.
Back in the winter there was a caller, 'Bob' who I like to listen to because he always brings interesting points and I believe it was Campbell who cut him off and didn't let him say much at all.

And the making fun of some of the callers isn't cool. The silly sound effects come across as juvenile, they aren't alone in using them but they overdo it. at times

So I know what you're saying.

I don't think there is great money in local radio to attract top talent.

I wouldn't mind hearing some 'national' type programing from TSN Toronto focusing on the league , especially the Canadian teams instead of several different locals going over the same ground every day.

Old
05-19-2017, 12:14 PM
Runner77

Quote:
Back in the winter there was a caller, 'Bob' who I like to listen to because he always brings interesting points and I believe it was Campbell who cut him off and didn't let him say much at all.

And the making fun of some of the callers isn't cool. The silly sound effects come across as juvenile, they aren't alone in using them but they overdo it. at times

So I know what you're saying.

I don't think there is great money in local radio to attract top talent.

I wouldn't mind hearing some 'national' type programing from TSN Toronto focusing on the league , especially the Canadian teams instead of several different locals going over the same ground every day.
That's a great idea. Only issue with national programming is that all too often, it becomes a Trana-centric fest.

Old
05-22-2017, 11:32 AM
Runner77

Was listening to 690 this morning when Marinaro came on and as soon as he started with soccer, I moved on. Came back an hour later, more soccer with Grant Needham, tuned out. Finally, tuned back in when Marinaro was reading off texts about Subban and one message in particular was about how Subban is so hated in Nashville that he's going to be traded to Vegas in the off season.

Sean Coleman who hosted the show with Marinaro, attacked the message for being unsubstantiated, which is captain obvious. But he didn't end it there, he added extra mustard as he does when he hosts the Habs post-game show and said "that message was stupid". Marinaro, to his credit, didn't comment further and went to commercials.

It just reminded me of how Coleman and several others at 690 get into these unnecessary insult backlashes on fan comments. Just say there is no evidence that the comment is founded or that the host hasn't heard anything to that effect and leave it at that. But no, Coleman had to get his testosterone moment in there to show everyone who's boss. It wasn't the worse transgression, but it doesn't do anything to cultivate a listener base. Show a little restraint, it goes a long way.

Old
05-22-2017, 03:28 PM
walsy37

Quote:
Was listening to 690 this morning when Marinaro came on and as soon as he started with soccer, I moved on. Came back an hour later, more soccer with Grant Needham, tuned out. Finally, tuned back in when Marinaro was reading off texts about Subban and one message in particular was about how Subban is so hated in Nashville that he's going to be traded to Vegas in the off season.

Sean Coleman who hosted the show with Marinaro, attacked the message for being unsubstantiated, which is captain obvious. But he didn't end it there, he added extra mustard as he does when he hosts the Habs post-game show and said "that message was stupid". Marinaro, to his credit, didn't comment further and went to commercials.

It just reminded me of how Coleman and several others at 690 get into these unnecessary insult backlashes on fan comments. Just say there is no evidence that the comment is founded or that the host hasn't heard anything to that effect and leave it at that. But no, Coleman had to get his testosterone moment in there to show everyone who's boss. It wasn't the worse transgression, but it doesn't do anything to cultivate a listener base. Show a little restraint, it goes a long way.
Well to be fair he kind if is right. Pk has that no trade clause that he would waive to go anywhere. Even if he is hated, Preds would be "stuck" with him. Key questions are (1) why are you still listening to Tony; and 2) why'd you keep going back?

walsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2017, 03:33 PM
Runner77

Quote:
Originally Posted by walsy37 View Post
Well to be fair he kind if is right. Pk has that no trade clause that he would waive to go anywhere. Even if he is hated, Preds would be "stuck" with him. Key questions are (1) why are you still listening to Tony; and 2) why'd you keep going back?
Of course he's right. Just that in terms of decorum on a radio show, the whole point is not to antagonize your audience unnecessarily, that is all.

I listen to 690 and surf back and forth from 91.9 FM and also 98.5 FM during their sports shows (98.5 FM goes all sport on their programming from 6:30 PM to midnight weekly and then on weekends they have a late morning extended sports show hosted by Jeremy Filosa). Whenever any of these three stations go to soccer, I just surf back to one of the others. I enjoy most sports talk, so for me it's not about Marinaro or not Marinaro. He does what he does, I do what I do.

Old
05-22-2017, 03:37 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Subban's NMC was void as he was traded before it came into effect.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2017, 03:38 PM
walsy37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Subban's NMC was void as he was traded before it came into effect.
Huh? So by trading him before the entire future NMC now no longer applies?

Edit: Color me taught something today.

https://www.todaysslapshot.com/nhl-n...-clause-trade/

Old
05-22-2017, 03:41 PM
Runner77

Quote:
Huh? So by trading him before the entire future NMC now no longer applies?

Edit: Color me taught something today.

https://www.todaysslapshot.com/nhl-n...-clause-trade/
Which opens the door to the ultimate Subban trade this off season -- to Trana, Subban's home town. Imagine the furor that would cause in Habsland.

Old
05-22-2017, 03:43 PM
walsy37

Quote:
Which opens the door to the ultimate Subban trade this off season -- to Trana, Subban's home town. Imagine the furor that would cause in Habsland.
maybe we could trade Weber for PK? I'm sure Preds would want some leadership.

Old
05-22-2017, 06:25 PM
Brainiac

Quote:
maybe we could trade Weber for PK? I'm sure Preds would want some leadership.
I'd be willing to add a 1st round pick from the Habs' perspective. No joking. Would be a great deal for us.

Brainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2017, 06:34 PM
thedunceofhockey

No thanks we will keep S Weber. He is liked by his team mates. PK inc at it again i see.

thedunceofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2017, 10:33 PM
sheed36

I really hope Tony has that Ducks media guy on again tomorrow. Before the series started he was on with Tony and was very confident and quite arrogant in saying the Preds had zero chance against the Ducks and would lose in 5 games. Good call dude.

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 06:29 AM
badi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedunceofhockey View Post
No thanks we will keep S Weber. He is liked by his team mates. PK inc at it again i see.
Poile would laugh at you hard and hang up on you ,,,,

badi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 07:55 AM
Jay Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXStriker View Post
Actually, it was not that Tony kept his sources secret that was made an issue - it was that Tony openly admitted that he softballed his sources on the air in exchange for information. When Melnick called him out on this, Tony claimed that everybody does it. "Otherwise, they won't stay a source for very long".

When Melnick claimed that he himself never engaged in such exchanges, Tony asked him how he managed to keep his sources. Mitch said something to the effect of, "I don't have many sources, but the ones I have, I've chosen very carefully."

In one conversation, Tony laid out - for all to see - his journalistic modus operandi. Some think this is an acceptable way to operate, and that's fine. I don't think it makes him a horrible person. It's only sports after all! But within the context of sports radio and the Habs, I don't see how his every opinion from now on isn't tainted with the spectre of spin or a hidden agenda to keep some source happy.

Jay Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 08:23 AM
thedunceofhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by badi View Post
Poile would laugh at you hard and hang up on you ,,,,
That comment makes zero sense owing to the fact i said we are keeping S Weber.

thedunceofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 10:15 AM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedunceofhockey View Post
At what exactly? Wishing the Habs still had the younger and better (in their opinion) player in PK Subban. If your opinion is different then argue your points instead of taking one liner jabs at fans still opposing the trade.

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote