HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread IV

Old
02-22-2017, 03:47 PM
Lafleurs Guy
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrimStone64 View Post
No two cases are ever the same
That's true. In Max's case there wasn't any way to know he was injured. With Chuck though he's struggled since coming off the DL.

People should know better this time around.

02-22-2017, 03:53 PM
Lshap
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapala View Post
People don't seem to realize we have played 28 of our 60 games with two goals or less.
This despite having Max's production and if I have to hazard a guess last year was even worse.
We have tried to spread out our scoring for as long as I can remember and it is clearly not working.
The teams inability to push through tight checking is one of the reasons for this.
Essentially we aren't built to support a pure sniper when we barely show up on the scoreboard half the time. Trading Max would not hurt this team if done properly.
I'm not sure if 2 or fewer goals in 28 out of 60 games is bad. That means the Habs have scored 3 or more in 32 of 60. Considering the league-average is about 2.7 GF/60, that's good, if not great. Right now Montreal's at a pace of 2.75 GF/60, which is 13th in the league, as low as they've been all season because the last month has been awful. Throughout the first three months they were right near the top of the league at around 3.00 GF.

The real question is what to expect moving forward. If our bottom six starts contributing again, even at a modest rate, it'll be a big boost. I mean, it was ridiculous to think Danault, Byron, Lehkonen and Shaw were all going to score 20, but it's equally wrong to think they'll stop scoring altogether.

I agree our forwards have been squished by tight checking, but I think the problem is more the system than the players. Last night's game gave us a glimpse into how a more coordinated rush can generate good chances, even against a top team.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2017, 09:38 AM
BrimStone64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
That's true. In Max's case there wasn't any way to know he was injured. With Chuck though he's struggled since coming off the DL.

People should know better this time around.
It was on InsideOut, but doubt most fans knew. Never heard on Chucky yet. If he is playing injured management will be aware..and affect his future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFOscpRtZN4

BrimStone64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2017, 10:52 AM
Lafleurs Guy
Global Moderator

Quote:
It was on InsideOut, but doubt most fans knew. Never heard on Chucky yet. If he is playing injured management will be aware..and affect his future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFOscpRtZN4
I don't know if he's injured or not. I do know he just came off the DL though and has struggled since.

I also know that he was playing great hockey before he got hurt. People weren't asking for him to be traded when he was a top five scorer but now that he's off the IR and struggling some can't wait to be rid of him. It's short term thinking.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2017, 11:50 AM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
I'm not sure if 2 or fewer goals in 28 out of 60 games is bad. That means the Habs have scored 3 or more in 32 of 60. Considering the league-average is about 2.7 GF/60, that's good, if not great. Right now Montreal's at a pace of 2.75 GF/60, which is 13th in the league, as low as they've been all season because the last month has been awful. Throughout the first three months they were right near the top of the league at around 3.00 GF.

The real question is what to expect moving forward. If our bottom six starts contributing again, even at a modest rate, it'll be a big boost. I mean, it was ridiculous to think Danault, Byron, Lehkonen and Shaw were all going to score 20, but it's equally wrong to think they'll stop scoring altogether.

I agree our forwards have been squished by tight checking, but I think the problem is more the system than the players. Last night's game gave us a glimpse into how a more coordinated rush can generate good chances, even against a top team.
Well both Pitts and Wash run at around 20. and that probably equals about 10 additional points...
I havent checked any one else.
We all realize our GA has been suspect for quite some time but more consistent and balanced scoring is primordial. The Post season tends to magnify that as top guys often get stymied.
We will find out in the next month how much of that was lack of effort and how much was X's and O's.
I'm really not very optimistic about this lineup there still seems to be much negativity swirling around the back rooms...
The only reason we'd move Max would be to solidify a couple of weak spots.
He currently is our biggest chip in the pot IMO including Price.

Rapala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2017, 11:52 AM
Adam Michaels

Quote:
I don't know if he's injured or not. I do know he just came off the DL though and has struggled since.

I also know that he was playing great hockey before he got hurt. People weren't asking for him to be traded when he was a top five scorer but now that he's off the IR and struggling some can't wait to be rid of him. It's short term thinking.
I agree 100%.

Depending on what the return is, I would not be opposed to trading him. But wanting to trade him solely because he's struggled since his return isn't a valid reason in my book.

Adam Michaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2017, 02:14 PM
BrimStone64

Quote:

Inside/Out were saying today it is confidence issue

Old
02-23-2017, 02:59 PM
Runner77

vCash: 733
TSN690 is sinking to new depths, with so much time spent on insignificant Gallo. Who cares about his podcast, his meditation, how many friends he has at the station, notarizing a lame bet involving a rooster suit and when he's going to be broadcasting next. What's going on?

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2017, 05:22 PM
Roadhouse
Lehkonen is a 350z

Per Amanda Stein, Jay Onrait is making a return to TSN. Yay.

Roadhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2017, 05:26 PM
jaffy27
From Russia wth Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhouse View Post
Per Amanda Stein, Jay Onrait is making a return to TSN. Yay.
Was that the guy that was on set with Dan O'toole? The 2 guys that went to LA a few years back?

jaffy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2017, 05:27 PM
Roadhouse
Lehkonen is a 350z

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffy27 View Post
Was that the guy that was on set with Dan O'toole?
Bob-ROOOOV-SKY!!!!!!!

Old
02-23-2017, 06:21 PM
CareyPrice x 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
TSN690 is sinking to new depths, with so much time spent on insignificant Gallo. Who cares about his podcast, his meditation, how many friends he has at the station, notarizing a lame bet involving a rooster suit and when he's going to be broadcasting next. What's going on?
Gallo and McKenna, I dont know who's worst, it's impossible to listen to them without wanted to murder someone.

CareyPrice x 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2017, 06:35 PM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyPrice x 31 View Post
Gallo and McKenna, I dont know who's worst, it's impossible to listen to them without wanted to murder someone.
I don't give any of them a chance to help me find out...
That why we pay Runner the Big Bucks.

Rapala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2017, 07:08 PM
ArtPeur
#FireBiello

Quote:
Bob-ROOOOV-SKY!!!!!!!

I totally forgot about him

ArtPeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2017, 07:25 PM
Roadhouse
Lehkonen is a 350z

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtPeur View Post

I totally forgot about him
Haha yeah it was routine for me to watch them on SC during those years... good times. SC became bland after they left.

There's a hint of Will Ferrell in that man.

Old
02-24-2017, 03:14 PM
jaffy27
From Russia wth Pain

Melnick going on a great rant!

Old
02-24-2017, 03:18 PM
Belial

Quote:
Great rant? He's like a lot of posters around here, seeing only points when it comes to Chucky and completely ignoring the fact that neutral and defensive zones even exist...

Belial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 03:37 PM
sheed36

Quote:
I was listening to it and I agree with him. You could tell just how frustrated he is with all this Galchenyuk talk about how bad he is defensively and on faceoffs.

The bottom line is even if Galchenyuk is struggling he's still the Habs best offensive center on a team really struggling to score goals. It's time the Habs used him that way.

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 03:38 PM
Runner77

vCash: 733
Quote:
Gallo has to be the worst. The guy invented a new level of on air smugness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapala View Post
I don't give any of them a chance to help me find out...
That why we pay Runner the Big Bucks.
You mean VBookie points? The ones I squander week over week. Yeah, big bucks all right.

Good thing TSN690 has some sore spots, gives me the impetus to find my fix elsewhere.

Quote:
Haha yeah it was routine for me to watch them on SC during those years... good times. SC became bland after they left.

There's a hint of Will Ferrell in that man.
Liked that guy, especially for the schtick he had going with that other fella, whose name escapes me. Are they returning to TSN as a duo?

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 03:46 PM
jaffy27
From Russia wth Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
Gallo has to be the worst. The guy invented a new level of on air smugness.

You mean VBookie points? The ones I squander week over week. Yeah, big bucks all right.

Good thing TSN690 has some sore spots, gives me the impetus to find my fix elsewhere.

Liked that guy, especially for the schtick he had going with that other fella, whose name escapes me. Are they returning to TSN as a duo?
Dan O'toole I believe

Old
02-24-2017, 03:46 PM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Quote:
I like McKenna.

gunnerdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 05:12 PM
Inkling
Same Old Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerdom View Post
I like McKenna.
I do too. He's well suited to the morning show, I like him better there than on the post game show where he wasn't always great with some callers. Sounds like he's working on a podcast too. Everyone seems to be getting a podcast.

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2017, 04:50 AM
TheAntiPrice

Tony was in for McKenna on the morning show on Friday and openly suggested that the Canadiens blow it up, tank and rebuild on multiple occasions. I think he can be more honest during the morning show because nobody (in the Habs brass) is listening. I've never heard him be so critical on his own show before.

TheAntiPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2017, 04:56 AM
BrimStone64

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAntiPrice View Post
Tony was in for McKenna on the morning show on Friday and openly suggested that the Canadiens blow it up, tank and rebuild on multiple occasions. I think he can be more honest during the morning show because nobody (in the Habs brass) is listening. I've never heard him be so critical on his own show before.
If this team fails to make playoffs or goes out early, definitely should be major changes to roster.

Old
02-25-2017, 07:40 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
If this team fails to make playoffs or goes out early, definitely should be major changes to roster.
How do we trust MB to do this?? He couldn't build it right, when he had the chance, and now we are to let him tear it down, and try again???

Seems, we are screwed, unless CJ becomes a miracle worker, in the next couple of weeks.

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote