HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TSN 690 Thread IV

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-27-2017, 09:30 AM
  #101
CareyPrice x 31
Registered User
 
CareyPrice x 31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,967
vCash: 5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAntiPrice View Post
Tony was in for McKenna on the morning show on Friday and openly suggested that the Canadiens blow it up, tank and rebuild on multiple occasions. I think he can be more honest during the morning show because nobody (in the Habs brass) is listening. I've never heard him be so critical on his own show before.
To be fair, he's actually been saying it for a while, since last season he wanted to rebuild

CareyPrice x 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2017, 09:31 AM
  #102
417
17.5
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 27,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAntiPrice View Post
Tony was in for McKenna on the morning show on Friday and openly suggested that the Canadiens blow it up, tank and rebuild on multiple occasions. I think he can be more honest during the morning show because nobody (in the Habs brass) is listening. I've never heard him be so critical on his own show before.
thats quite the Conspiracy theory you've got there lol

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2017, 12:19 PM
  #103
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 17,775
vCash: 500
Anything happening on the airwaves today guys??

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2017, 01:46 PM
  #104
sheed36
Registered User
 
sheed36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Anything happening on the airwaves today guys??
I listened to Tony's show but if was pretty quiet. He had Brian Wilde on so that was a waste of 15-20 minutes.

Also I think Tony might've been reading a bit of the Subban vs Weber thread here since he kept saying a few times that the Habs never chose the coach over PK.

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2017, 02:00 PM
  #105
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup
 
Rapala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
How do we trust MB to do this?? He couldn't build it right, when he had the chance, and now we are to let him tear it down, and try again???

Seems, we are screwed, unless CJ becomes a miracle worker, in the next couple of weeks.
The games will get tighter and more intense after TDL.
I don't expect miracles and I don't expect we acquire much before then.

Rapala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2017, 02:27 PM
  #106
Inkling
Same Old Hockey
 
Inkling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
I listened to Tony's show but if was pretty quiet. He had Brian Wilde on so that was a waste of 15-20 minutes.

Also I think Tony might've been reading a bit of the Subban vs Weber thread here since he kept saying a few times that the Habs never chose the coach over PK.
Tony was really into the strawman arguments today; he seemed convinced that so many people were upset that the Habs didn't get Hanzal despite the price that the Wild had to pay. He seemed to think he was the voice of reason against the masses, but during Nilan's show Campbell pretty much admitted that all the fans he heard from agreed that MB did the right thing and that there was no way paying that price for a rental was a good move.

Inkling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2017, 04:27 PM
  #107
badbrains
Registered Boozer
 
badbrains's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: ET
Posts: 871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
I listened to Tony's show but if was pretty quiet. He had Brian Wilde on so that was a waste of 15-20 minutes.

Also I think Tony might've been reading a bit of the Subban vs Weber thread here since he kept saying a few times that the Habs never chose the coach over PK.
Ever since Tony's epic "Is this a joke" period last season his opinions have been pretty toothless. He started defending Therrien this season and flip flopping on things, acting as an apologist at times.

Brian Wilde's nose is buried so far up management's butt that he'll need a show horn and a box of tissues if he ever plans to remove it. Not sure how he still gets so much airtime and print space. I guess the good PR he does for the team goes a long way when your paycheck is indirectly signed by the Habs via Bell Media.

badbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2017, 04:45 PM
  #108
Markov4Captain
Registered User
 
Markov4Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 4,030
vCash: 500
Tony is a passionate guy and I like the fact that he isnt politically correct so to spea (see: Wilde, Brian) but his opinion sways like the wind. Habs lose 1 ---> BLOW IT UP!!! Habs win won --> Can we aspire to win a Stanley Cup??!? I don't mind either opinion I just dont see how it can change so drastically from week to week.

Mitch Melnick is probably my favourite commentator on TSN radio. Not always popular opinion but doesn't let himself be swayed by winning or losing streaks, he doesn't always follow what popular opinion is (i.e. appreciates analytics but also appreciates perks of school thinking) and tells it like it is without the biolarism of Tony. Conor Mckenna is another good one but sometimes too arrogant for my liking.

Markov4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2017, 06:54 PM
  #109
sheed36
Registered User
 
sheed36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
Tony was really into the strawman arguments today; he seemed convinced that so many people were upset that the Habs didn't get Hanzal despite the price that the Wild had to pay. He seemed to think he was the voice of reason against the masses, but during Nilan's show Campbell pretty much admitted that all the fans he heard from agreed that MB did the right thing and that there was no way paying that price for a rental was a good move.
I've noticed stuff like this from Tony before. I've found myself quite a few times saying that's not how it is Tony and please stop exaggerating. It's like he's trying to make himself look smart and the majority of the Habs fanbase look stupid at times by really exaggerating things. Makes for good ratings I suppose.

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2017, 08:06 PM
  #110
Puck Luck Run Amok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The void
Country: Canada
Posts: 333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov4Captain View Post
Tony is a passionate guy and I like the fact that he isnt politically correct so to spea (see: Wilde, Brian) but his opinion sways like the wind. Habs lose 1 ---> BLOW IT UP!!! Habs win won --> Can we aspire to win a Stanley Cup??!? I don't mind either opinion I just dont see how it can change so drastically from week to week.

Mitch Melnick is probably my favourite commentator on TSN radio. Not always popular opinion but doesn't let himself be swayed by winning or losing streaks, he doesn't always follow what popular opinion is (i.e. appreciates analytics but also appreciates perks of school thinking) and tells it like it is without the biolarism of Tony. Conor Mckenna is another good one but sometimes too arrogant for my liking.
Melnick is the star of the entire network. No one else even comes close in regards to hockey IQ, interviews or prognostication. I'd say it's Melnick and Hayes for best hosts in the country IMO. McKenna is a good future contender for that spot but he's got a ways to go before he's Melnick-level good.

The third boy in the band and his cohorts are the equivalent to listening to a meat grinder, smell and all IMO.... Just look at the prior TSN thread and see commentary prior to the firing for some idea as to why I hold such opinions. 

Puck Luck Run Amok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2017, 08:26 PM
  #111
Chili
Registered User
 
Chili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: la Belle Province
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 3,980
vCash: 500
Melnick was using his 'a lot of people were saying' line and McGuire challenged him on it today who they were.

Melnick finally admitted it was just twitter, too funny.

Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2017, 08:52 PM
  #112
Inkling
Same Old Hockey
 
Inkling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,688
vCash: 500
Melnick is senior enough, gets good enough ratings, possibly close enough to retirement and maybe has enough other interests (Billybob Productions) that he doesn't give a crap what anyone thinks about what he says and is not afraid to criticize management when he thinks they deserve it. I don't ever remember a GM getting as many hard questions from a TSN or Sportsnet person as Bergevin did when Mitch interviewed him last season (this season he retreated to Nilan's show where he got the softball questions).

Inkling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2017, 09:19 AM
  #113
habs73
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
I've noticed stuff like this from Tony before. I've found myself quite a few times saying that's not how it is Tony and please stop exaggerating. It's like he's trying to make himself look smart and the majority of the Habs fanbase look stupid at times by really exaggerating things. Makes for good ratings I suppose.
He is at it again this morning, usually spends the first segment of his show talking down to his listeners. Giving a lecture this morning about Pacioretty and the fact everyone wanted to get rid of him.

I listen to 690 because I like hearing Habs talk/news but the product from 690 is quite nauseating at times.

Are there any other outlets out there for my habs fix?

habs73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2017, 09:23 AM
  #114
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 17,775
vCash: 500
Habs are usually out West this time of year, on Trade Deadline Day...so today and tomorrow the local media is gonna have a ball with all the rumours, and fiasco type of opinions!!

What a gong show it's gonna be!!

MB is on the clock!!

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2017, 09:38 AM
  #115
DXStriker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs73 View Post
He is at it again this morning, usually spends the first segment of his show talking down to his listeners. Giving a lecture this morning about Pacioretty and the fact everyone wanted to get rid of him.

I listen to 690 because I like hearing Habs talk/news but the product from 690 is quite nauseating at times.

Are there any other outlets out there for my habs fix?
The funny thing is , is that He himself wanted to trade Patches for Drouin or someone else lol

DXStriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2017, 09:58 AM
  #116
sheed36
Registered User
 
sheed36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs73 View Post
He is at it again this morning, usually spends the first segment of his show talking down to his listeners. Giving a lecture this morning about Pacioretty and the fact everyone wanted to get rid of him.

I listen to 690 because I like hearing Habs talk/news but the product from 690 is quite nauseating at times.

Are there any other outlets out there for my habs fix?
Yeah I was listening and I said damn he's doing it again this morning. And like DXStriker said above he was ready to give up on Pacioretty for Drouin. So I guess Tony is also one of "these" people he was complaining about and talking down to again this morning.

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2017, 10:04 AM
  #117
habs73
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Yeah I was listening and I said damn he's doing it again this morning. And like DXStriker said above he was ready to give up on Pacioretty for Drouin. So I guess Tony is also one of "these" people he was complaining about and talking down to again this morning.
Definitely, his opinion changes with the wind. Pretty much will say anything to get ratings

habs73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2017, 10:41 AM
  #118
Inkling
Same Old Hockey
 
Inkling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,688
vCash: 500
I still like when Tony talks soccer and find he has interesting things to say about player development, and enjoy the Impact coverage he provides. Whenever he talks hockey though, I find I have to take it with a huge grain of salt.

His discussion with Campbell about going to the draft in Chicago was pretty funny. Campbell was being coy, "I know the plans" and "I'm going". I wasn't sure if Tony could read between the lines, as in "Tony, you're not going" but I think he eventually got it.


Last edited by Inkling: 02-28-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Inkling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2017, 12:44 PM
  #119
jaffy27
From Russia wth Pain
 
jaffy27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Orleans
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,573
vCash: 500
Craig Ludwig with nice words about Benn

jaffy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2017, 12:47 PM
  #120
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 17,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffy27 View Post
Craig Ludwig with nice words about Benn
Ludwig is their D coach? Always good to hear if this is the case...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2017, 12:52 PM
  #121
Tighthead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Ludwig is their D coach? Always good to hear if this is the case...
Ludwig does colour for them.

He hasn't weighed in on who has the better cross-check yet. Ludwig used to make my back hurt watching him clear the front.

Classic Nilan. They intro with a sound bite from Jordie Benn saying that in Montreal he won't be seen as Jamie's brother, will be his own guy and not in his brother's shadow. Nilan starts talking, calls him Jamie a handful of times. Campbell corrects him and Nilan says "I guess I am dreaming he is Jamie". Smooth.

Tighthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2017, 12:55 PM
  #122
jaffy27
From Russia wth Pain
 
jaffy27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Orleans
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Ludwig is their D coach? Always good to hear if this is the case...
Yep......says he won't get beat on the outside......plays within his means, hard worker, good team guy. Pretty much what you'd expect from a 5/6 D.

Says Dallas probably got rid of him because of the expansion draft, plus they have young guys coming up, making room.

jaffy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2017, 01:35 PM
  #123
JohnLennon
Registered User
 
JohnLennon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,584
vCash: 500
I mean, this trade seems like a decent upgrade to me. The guy was the number 4 D in Dallas, going to be playing a 5-6 role here. Probably improving that third pairing.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2017, 01:40 PM
  #124
Victorius
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
I mean, this trade seems like a decent upgrade to me. The guy was the number 4 D in Dallas, going to be playing a 5-6 role here. Probably improving that third pairing.
A bit like by default. They don't have much better on their d-corp. he is a bottom-pairing guy, pk specialist, at best.

Victorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2017, 01:45 PM
  #125
Dannyhab
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck Luck Run Amok View Post
Melnick is the star of the entire network.
I personally cannot stand Melnick. I hate when I turn the radio on and it's him. He thinks he's a CHOM disc jockey because he'll literally play full rock songs during his show. I suppose his knowledge is good but I just cannot stand all the non Habs talk he spews out about this band and that band.

Dannyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.