HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Phillips Arena renovations

Old
02-20-2017, 03:14 PM
MNNumbers

vCash: 500
Phillips Arena renovations

Please help me. I have seen several references to some renovations at Phillips Arena in Atlanta which are either ongoing or soon to begin. These references, cumulatively, suggest it is being made less "hockey friendly." So, I guess is well established.

What I have not seen is any actual description specifically is what is being done that makes it less hockey friendly. I have seen vague references to the corners, but nothing more. Does anyone know? Thanks.

MNNumbers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2017, 03:37 PM
Mightygoose

The only thing I've seen is a link found in post 56 of the Houston and Atlanta thread. I'm having trouble posting it on mobile,.will do soon but it states below

http://www.myajc.com/sports/basketba...2jpO601iY9niL/
Quote:
Hawks officials have previously said they are looking to, among a number of upgrades, replace the bank of suites that dominate one side of the arena, install a variety of different-size suites, improve the connectivity so fans can navigate around the arena on one level and create better floor seating by changing the layout which originally had oval ends to accommodate hockey

Last edited by Mightygoose: 02-20-2017 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Found link
Mightygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2017, 03:48 PM
blues10

The NHL is not too keen on Phillips as an arena location. IF NHL hockey returns it will be in a different location. Of course, the NHL could always change their minds.

From Bill Daly in 2010.

Quote:
ďI would acknowledge that Atlanta historically has been a difficult sports market, and I canít exactly put my finger on it as to why thatís been the case. You make good points when you point to the fact that the Atlanta Braves make the playoffs 13 consecutive years in baseball, where it is a little more difficult to make the playoffs. And they are having difficulty selling out their home playoff games, which, you would think in most markets is unheard of. So, Atlanta has proven to be a very difficult market.Ē

ďAgain, it might be a situation where the building location isnít ideal in that market, and if it was built in a different location within the Atlanta Metropolitan location, it might be drawing better. But those are all issues that are important issues, obviously the building is not moving. Weíre going to have to look at the long term prospects of that franchise, and if the determination is made that it canít make it there, and canít be successful there, then something will have to be done.Ē
http://illegalcurve.com/2010/11/27/i...ner-bill-daly/

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2017, 04:43 PM
madhi19
Just the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
The NHL is not too keen on Phillips as an arena location. IF NHL hockey returns it will be in a different location. Of course, the NHL could always change their minds.

From Bill Daly in 2010.

http://illegalcurve.com/2010/11/27/i...ner-bill-daly/
The NHL always trow the arena under the bus on their way out a market. Not the right place, too old, too small... This is really familiar to what happening in Arizona at the moment.

madhi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2017, 06:22 PM
Bruins1233

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhi19 View Post
The NHL always trow the arena under the bus on their way out a market. Not the right place, too old, too small... This is really familiar to what happening in Arizona at the moment.
Philips Arena is 1 MARTA (Heavy Rail) stop from the Center nexus of all Public Transit in Atlanta, and is in Downtown, where exactly is better than that?

Bruins1233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2017, 09:18 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

It's not central and folks from two directions have to travel through heavy traffic to get there.

Visited friend and we drove ~15 minutes to transit terminus and took train into arena.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2017, 09:46 AM
Bruins1233

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
It's not central and folks from two directions have to travel through heavy traffic to get there.

Visited friend and we drove ~15 minutes to transit terminus and took train into arena.
Can you explain to me how Downtown Atlanta is not the center of the Metro?

Bruins1233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2017, 09:56 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins1233 View Post
I don't know how to say it more gracefully than this... the arena isn't centered according to "NHL demographics", which largely reside north of the city.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2017, 10:37 AM
Mightygoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I don't know how to say it more gracefully than this... the arena isn't centered according to "NHL demographics", which largely reside north of the city.
Yet, the league approved 2 franchises on that very same location.

In both cases they had owners that wanted to own franchised there so location is a bit of a cop out in my view.

Mightygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2017, 10:41 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
Yet, the league approved 2 franchises on that very same location.

In both cases they had owners that wanted to own franchised there so location is a bit of a cop out in my view.
I don't think arena location was "the" problem, TBH. It might not have been absolutely ideal, but there are areas in far worse locations.

"The" problem was an ownership group who bought the franchise with the intention of liquidating it.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2017, 10:53 AM
MNNumbers

Um, Could we get back to the question, here, please? I am still wondering if anyone knows exactly what is planned for Philips?

And, concerning Atlanta in general... I doubt that anyone there is going to build an arena solely for hockey, so it doesn't really matter too much 'where' the arena should be. Philips is the possibility, and I am wondering what they are actually doing to it.

Thanks.

Old
02-21-2017, 12:20 PM
AintLifeGrand
Crunchy Jamz Brah

ATL is becoming increasingly more Urban in relation to where people/live /work play. More people are moving into the city and the Downtown area is becoming increasingly more gentrified by the day.

If an owner who cared relocated the Canes to ATL , they would outdraw the Hawks (as the Thrash did every year of their existence)

AintLifeGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2017, 01:57 PM
tony d
Ocean Spray

Atlanta has failed twice as an NHL market, doubt the league would go there again. On that note though if they where a fresh market a la Houston, Portland or Seattle I'd look strongly at going there for sure.

02-22-2017, 10:32 AM
Jacob

vCash: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Atlanta has failed twice as an NHL market, doubt the league would go there again.
And so recently too. I agree, time for both Atlanta and the NHL to move on.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2017, 10:43 AM
Bongo

I for one don't want the NHL back. Twice burned is enough. The arena location is an excuse the League uses because it sounds better than the truth. The only reason the Braves moved was so a handful of people could make a bunch of money off back room deals.

Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2017, 01:29 PM
Atticus Finch
Sun Belt Hockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Atlanta has failed twice as an NHL market, doubt the league would go there again. On that note though if they where a fresh market a la Houston, Portland or Seattle I'd look strongly at going there for sure.
So has Quebec. So I agree, 2 chances is enough, the league should move on from Atlanta and Quebec try fresh new markets.

Atticus Finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2017, 01:37 PM
sawchuk1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Bean View Post
So has Quebec. So I agree, 2 chances is enough, the league should move on from Atlanta and Quebec try fresh new markets.
quebec is not a "failed" market...

during the early 90s, quebec did not qualify for the playoff, they still sold out...

sawchuk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2017, 01:42 PM
Atticus Finch
Sun Belt Hockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawchuk1971 View Post
quebec is not a "failed" market...

during the early 90s, quebec did not qualify for the playoff, they still sold out...
Wrong.

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendan...h.php?tmi=7584

Last edited by Atticus Finch: 02-22-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Atticus Finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2017, 06:30 PM
MNNumbers

Could someone explain to me how my thread about Philips Arena renovations, and their effect on hockey got so far off topic?

And, again, does anyone know for sure just what is being proposed there in Atlanta?

Old
02-22-2017, 08:14 PM
Pelle Lindbergh

Bring back the thrashers !
A couple of years ago , Betman wanted 36 teams
Give one to
Hartford, Quebec city, Hamilton, kansas city and Atlanta
So all the cities who lost their team will have their team back, and everybody will be happy

Pelle Lindbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2017, 09:53 PM
Elephant Igloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
If someone were to build an NHL arena north of the city and put down half a billion for the 32nd expansion team, every concern about Eastern Conference alignment would disappear in a cloud of smoke.

Elephant Igloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2017, 10:17 PM
LordNeverLose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins1233 View Post
1. Population distribution. Historically downtown Atlanta has not been residential at all. There has always been some low-income neighborhoods downtown but not even any real middle class even living downtown. That's changing a little and there are some high rise apartments and such, but it's still very much not the center population wise.

2. Income and demographics. Although less than it used to be, downtown Atlanta has always been poor and black. The area around the Georgia Dome, Phillips Arena, and Turner Field is not a particularly good place to be. Using the APD zones for reference:

Those 3 stadiums are in the north part of Zone 3 (at least Turner for sure is, Dome and Phillips might be in the east part of Zone 4 but same idea). Zone 5 is the part of downtown Atlanta that is starting to get nicer, an arena there would be a little south of the majority of the prospective fanbase but not too bad for those who live inside I285, although it'd be tough for those who live in the suburbs, especially considering the traffic. The real problem is it'd be cost prohibitive. Zone 2 is the wealthy and (to be blunt) white part of Atlanta, so it's where most of your inside-city-limits fans would come from. An arena in that area though would for sure be cost prohibitive and the neighborhoods would likely never agree to it. The area that would make sense is where SunTrust is being built, or really any similar location along the northside of 285. That way it's close enough in to be accessible from in the city but is manageable for your suburban base.

LordNeverLose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2017, 01:44 AM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNumbers View Post
Could someone explain to me how my thread about Philips Arena renovations, and their effect on hockey got so far off topic?

And, again, does anyone know for sure just what is being proposed there in Atlanta?
MNN:

IT'S BECAUSE it's been a while since Atlanta Spirit decided to do that, question is has nothing to do with hockey anyway, since it's a new group running Phillips and summarily the Hawks, you run the risk I think of having threads like these devolve into hockey because all hockey fans remember how ASG ran one of the franchises out of the market, point is, what Ressler is doing is solely focused on keeping Phillips competitive, not what has been done by previous ownership, and that's sad really.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2017, 11:27 AM
kypredsfan
Smashville Subban

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNumbers View Post

Someone in a post above stated removing the permanent oval ends which are for hockey and making it more for basketball. I would guess that's what you're asking about.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2017, 11:31 AM
MNNumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Someone in a post above stated removing the permanent oval ends which are for hockey and making it more for basketball. I would guess that's what you're asking about.
Have you a picture or a drawing? Thanks.