HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Phillips Arena renovations

Old
06-28-2017, 05:55 PM
gordie
Journeyman Despres

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Courtside bar

Really hating more and more modern sports arena's
You want to scream!!! Just being at the game just isn't good enough anymore.

gordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2017, 10:31 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins1233 View Post
Philips Arena is 1 MARTA (Heavy Rail) stop from the Center nexus of all Public Transit in Atlanta, and is in Downtown, where exactly is better than that?
The problem is, the majority of hockey fans are located in the northern suburbs of the city. I know of quite a few who are in the southern suburbs too (much like myself), but the thought process is that any team that comes to Atlanta would simply draw more fans regularly if the arena were located in the northern suburbs.

MARTA is decent, but not entirely reliable. Folks won't really take MARTA unless they absolutely have to. Traffic is poor at best, and difficult to navigate for even long time residents of the city. Generally speaking, a downtown location is the most ideal location. However, that's not quite true for Atlanta. The Braves also moved to the northern suburbs due in part to the lack of convenience for fans to get downtown.

dj4aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2017, 07:32 PM
Elephant Igloo

if Cobb County decides to build an arena of its own, there's no doubt the NHL will be interested. As for preserving the Eastern Conference's alignment by expanding in the East,

Elephant Igloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2017, 11:41 AM
Bongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4aces View Post
The problem is, the majority of hockey fans are located in the northern suburbs of the city. I know of quite a few who are in the southern suburbs too (much like myself), but the thought process is that any team that comes to Atlanta would simply draw more fans regularly if the arena were located in the northern suburbs.

MARTA is decent, but not entirely reliable. Folks won't really take MARTA unless they absolutely have to. Traffic is poor at best, and difficult to navigate for even long time residents of the city. Generally speaking, a downtown location is the most ideal location. However, that's not quite true for Atlanta. The Braves also moved to the northern suburbs due in part to the lack of convenience for fans to get downtown.

The Braves move was a back room deal involving politicians and developers and was done solely in the interest of making those people a bunch of money. Season Ticket holders didn't even know it was happening until it was announced a week after the November Mayoral election(what a coincidence)in spite of the fact that it was a done deal by July.

This whole story about the arena location given as a reason for the Thrasher's failure is mythology. Falcons fans didn't seem to have any problem getting to the Dome last year did they?

Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2017, 04:17 PM
Elephant Igloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
This whole story about the arena location given as a reason for the Thrasher's failure is mythology. Falcons fans didn't seem to have any problem getting to the Dome last year did they?
When the same thing is cited in the Coyotes' struggles, the escape is "people don't mind going there for eight weekends"

Old
06-30-2017, 04:26 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Igloo View Post
When the same thing is cited in the Coyotes' struggles, the escape is "people don't mind going there for eight weekends"
8 weekends != 41 nights including weekdays

TheLegend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2017, 04:45 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
UH, False, they brought in the Gladiators up from Gwinnett as a marketing angle, team rebranded as ATLANTA Gladiators AFTER the transfer back to WPG, by the Thrashers, EI.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2017, 05:22 PM
Jets4Life

Is the Atlanta Spirit Group still managing the Hawks? They sure dropped the ball when it came to the Thrashers.

Jets4Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2017, 07:18 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Sure enough, now, today, past couple of years or so but but not for the first decade of their existence. Close call in fact that they didnt completely bottom out, be forced to move. Total mess. How you screw up hockey in Ohio (like Minnesota) I have no idea but find a way they did. Doug MacLean, GM (now a sportscaster with SN out of Toronto, was also reputedly hired as a Consultant to Hamilton NHL interests) from 98/07 total disaster along the lines of Don Waddell in Atlanta. The Blue Jackets with a lousy Lease & a competitive facility nearby that wasnt supposed to be competing with them for concerts & events etc. Total nightmare.
Lease? The Jackets owned the building up until a few years ago.

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2017, 07:21 PM
BattleBorn
Global Moderator
Dead Dove-Do Not Eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
Lease? The Jackets owned the building up until a few years ago.
I thought the insurance company owned the place and then turned it into a public-private thing a few years ago?

06-30-2017, 09:12 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Is the Atlanta Spirit Group still managing the Hawks? They sure dropped the ball when it came to the Thrashers.
no, different ownership, Tony Ressler et all back in 2015 bought it

Old
06-30-2017, 09:20 PM
Tekneek

Atlanta Braves attendance is back to about where it was before they announced their move. It isn't like the crowds beat down the gates to get to the new stadium. This whole idea that moving to the northern suburbs is the secret to success is yet to be proven out.

Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2017, 09:50 PM
Elephant Igloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
UH, False, they brought in the Gladiators up from Gwinnett as a marketing angle, team rebranded as ATLANTA Gladiators AFTER the transfer back to WPG, by the Thrashers, EI.
UHHHH, your response has nothing to do with what I said.

Old
07-03-2017, 09:11 AM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
UHHHH, your response has nothing to do with what I said.
uh, yes it does, because it's tied in with the Braves discussion, EI....

Old
07-03-2017, 10:54 AM
Elephant Igloo

Okay, let's try again. Bongo said that the central location of Philips Arena as the cause of the Thrashers' failure is a myth, because the central location of the Georgia Dome hasn't hurt the Falcons. Then I pointed out that that's interesting considering the consensus of this board regarding a similar situation in Phoenix: the Glendale Arena's western location dooms the Coyotes while the location of UofP Stadium next door is immaterial to the Cardinals. Then you ran in and said something about the Gwinnett Gladiators, who don't play in downtown Atlanta nor northwestern Cobb County and thus don't really have much to do with the discussion I was having as best I can tell.

For whatever it's worth, I don't buy the location of Philips Arena as a major reason for the Thrashers' downfall. Put the arena with the same ownership situation and scheduling dilemmas (are concerts more lucrative in this market than a hockey team?) and the same thing will happen.

Old
07-03-2017, 11:14 AM
sexydonut

The Thrashers failed chiefly because the boss was a crook. Basically seeing the hockey team as a looting opportunity and as a piggyback for his own personal expenses.

That said, the NHL would/could/should jump back in to the Atlanta market if a suitable arena were built in a more convenient area. People talk about Houston as a huge, potentially lucrative market. Do they realize Atlanta is very similar?

sexydonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 11:18 AM
Elephant Igloo

Atlanta is not without its drawbacks as a market due to the large number of transplants. The Braves can thrive as a regional team, but a hockey team wouldn't be regional, at least not in the Southeastern United States.

Obviously, I think the most important thing for the league to do is to give itself a low-ceiling-high-floor market in Quebec City to hedge against its riskier markets, but the league has no interest in being in Quebec City. If Cobb County started building an arena next door to SunTrust Park, the league would be knocking at the door before the door even came up, and they'd tell the Blue Jackets to get used to flying to Winnipeg.

Old
07-03-2017, 12:04 PM
tucker3434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
Atlanta Braves attendance is back to about where it was before they announced their move. It isn't like the crowds beat down the gates to get to the new stadium. This whole idea that moving to the northern suburbs is the secret to success is yet to be proven out.
Competent management is the secret to success. the only reason I go to Suntrust right now is because the park and the battery are awesome. If I could add "watching a competitive team" to that list, I'll be there more often. It's definitely a lot easier for me to get to than it was at Turner.

But it wouldn't matter where they put a new hockey team if they also didn't win a single playoff game for 15 years. They have to be competitive, and the fans will come. If Nashville can support a team, Atlanta can.

tucker3434 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 01:27 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Atlanta is not without its drawbacks as a market due to the large number of transplants. The Braves can thrive as a regional team, but a hockey team wouldn't be regional, at least not in the Southeastern United States.

Obviously, I think the most important thing for the league to do is to give itself a low-ceiling-high-floor market in Quebec City to hedge against its riskier markets, but the league has no interest in being in Quebec City. If Cobb County started building an arena next door to SunTrust Park, the league would be knocking at the door before the door even came up, and they'd tell the Blue Jackets to get used to flying to Winnipeg.
If there was one team in the area it would be. This is where Carolina fails.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 01:35 PM
Elephant Igloo

Yeah, but Atlanta is the most important city in the South. Raleigh isn't even the most important city in its state. Nashville can't really be the entire South's team either.

Old
07-03-2017, 10:06 PM
aemoreira1981

Part of the problem was that Atlanta Spirit had so much infighting that the hockey product was ignored. Now that Ressler owns the team, he has no connection to hockey and is changing Phillips Arena to be more viable to basketball at the expense of hockey. As for the now-Georgia State Stadium, the Braves' real reason for wanting to leave was crime in the area (Georgia State is basically remaking the area as part of its campus). Had Georgia State not bought that stadium, I suspect it would have seen the wrecking ball.

aemoreira1981 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2017, 10:20 PM
LordNeverLose

Quote:
The Braves move was a back room deal involving politicians and developers and was done solely in the interest of making those people a bunch of money. Season Ticket holders didn't even know it was happening until it was announced a week after the November Mayoral election(what a coincidence)in spite of the fact that it was a done deal by July.

The Falcons aren't comparable to the Thrashers though. The Falcons have very much a city-wide fanbase, whereas the Thrashers were much more demographically confined.

That's not to say the Thrashers failed because of arena location. I do believe that a hockey team would have a much better chance of success if it was located further north than Phillips, but the biggest reasons for the Thrashers' failure were ownership and on-ice success.

LordNeverLose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2017, 01:29 PM
Blasto

As if the NHL was ever going to allow another team in Atlanta, I would say to put it in the North East OTP. Between 400 and 85 might be a good enough spot to 1) find some land with enough areas of interest nearby, and 2) close enough for most of the fans to make it to for the weeknight games @ 7pm.

Traffic is always going to be bad in Atlanta. Making folks head ITP for 7pm weeknight games would just be plain stupid.

Blasto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 08:55 AM
Bongo

There's only one reason why the Thrashers failed. The Atlanta Spirit Group. Now please, no more talk about the NHL returning to Atlanta. Twice burned is enough. Give me an AHL team and I'll be happy.

Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 11:56 AM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
There's only one reason why the Thrashers failed. The Atlanta Spirit Group. Now please, no more talk about the NHL returning to Atlanta. Twice burned is enough. Give me an AHL team and I'll be happy.
AHL needs what, Bongo, an NHL Affiliation, as a pre-requisite, the days of an Independent died out when Worcester originally joined the league and the experiences of Baltimore and Binghamton trying that led to them being absolutely disasterous on-ice wise by the time the season ended, the AHL outlawed that practice, and changed the bylaw requiring an affiliation to be active.

Atlanta's ECHL Club is in serious jeopardy if Boston elects to leave at the end of this season, now with Spectra buying Alaska, and placing it in Portland.