HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The biggest Trade Ever

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2003, 10:59 AM
Lewis63

vCash: 500
The biggest Trade Ever

I know this is not the place to put this but since most of you are hardcore hockey fans and fans of the habs (habs fans = not nordiques fans) some of you must know this because it's regarding the Nordiques (no boards for Quebec Nordiques hehehe)

So let's roll back about 12 years shall we? yes yes you know where I'm going to ---> Eric Lindros

That trade was one of the turning points for the Nordiques/Avs to become a Cup contender (the other trade consisting of our beloved Patrick Roy).

1. What was the complete trade between QUE and PHI?
2. What did NYR offer QUE for Lindros? Because both teams made an offer for him but because PHI made the offer before NYR, QUE had to take the PHI deal...or something like that.

This must have been the biggest trade in the NHL's history, am I right?

Here's what I can remember of the PHI trade is this:

To QUE
G- Ron Hextall
C- Petr Forsberg
C- Mike Ricci
???

To PHI
C- Eric Lindros
D- Steven Finn (not sure)
???

And the NYR proposal:

To QUE
???

To NYR
C-Eric Lindros

Thanks for the info guys!

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
10-22-2003, 11:06 AM
H3ro

30-Jun-92 Philadelphia Flyers traded Ron Hextall, Peter Forsberg, Steve Duchesne, Kerry Huffman, Mike Ricci, Chris Simon, 1st round selection (Jocelyn Thibault) in 1993, 1st round selection (later traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs, later traded to the Washington Capitals - Nolan Baumgartner) in 1994 and cash to the Quebec Nordiques for Eric Lindros.

Old
10-22-2003, 11:11 AM
hockey_nut

aka worst trade ever

Old
10-22-2003, 11:16 AM
FlyerFire

while everyone is quick

to point out that Quebec got the best of the deal,the financial implications cannot be overlooked.philly had missed the playoffs for like 5 straight seasons and morale was extremely low.the trade has boosted the fans interest in the Flyers.their seasons ticket sales jumped like 200% AFTER the trade was announced.they were going into a new building and had the resources then to build up back around him.and despite whats become of him since,he really WAS all he was hyped up to be.in retrospect would they do it again,probably not.Forsberg turned out to be the cornerstone in the whole deal.

Old
10-22-2003, 11:23 AM
Darz

The Ranger supposablely offered (it was never publicly reveled), if I remember correctly:

Sergei Nemchinov, Tony Amonte, Doug Weight, Alexei Kovalev, James Patrick and John Vanbiesbrouck, as well as multiple first round picks and $20 million US.

Extra tidbit- Supposablely the Chicago Black Hawks offered:

Eddie Belfour, Steve Larmer, Dean McAmmond, Steve Smith, Karl Dykhuis, a first round pick and $15 million US.

One final addition: The player the Nords considered the key player they received from Philly at first was Ricci, not Forsberg.

Old
10-22-2003, 11:27 AM
Breenger

When I think of "the biggest trade ever", I still have to think of the Gretzky -> LA trade. I can still remember being a kid and seeing all of the sad pale faced kids in my school weaping "our hero is a yankie!"

The Lindros trade was still pretty big, but not that big.

Old
10-22-2003, 11:28 AM
keemo905

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
The Ranger supposablely offered (it was never publicly reveled), if I remember correctly:

Sergei Nemchinov, Tony Amonte, Doug Weight, Alexei Kovalev, James Patrick and John Vanbiesbrouck, as well as multiple first round picks and $20 million US.

I'm almost sure that the Rangers offered Richter not Vanbiesbrouck...

I also remember that the Nordiques tried to cancel the trade with Philly so they could take NY offer which they thought was better.

Old
10-22-2003, 11:28 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breenger
When I think of "the biggest trade ever", I still have to think of the Gretzky -> LA trade. I can still remember being a kid and seeing all of the sad pale faced kids in my school weaping "our hero is a yankie!"

Agreed, the Gretzky trade in alot of accounts will always be the biggest trade, not only in hockey, but more so in Canadian sports history.

Old
10-22-2003, 11:33 AM
Y2CARE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis63
I know this is not the place to put this but since most of you are hardcore hockey fans and fans of the habs (habs fans = not nordiques fans) some of you must know this because it's regarding the Nordiques (no boards for Quebec Nordiques hehehe)

So let's roll back about 12 years shall we? yes yes you know where I'm going to ---> Eric Lindros

That trade was one of the turning points for the Nordiques/Avs to become a Cup contender (the other trade consisting of our beloved Patrick Roy).

1. What was the complete trade between QUE and PHI?
2. What did NYR offer QUE for Lindros? Because both teams made an offer for him but because PHI made the offer before NYR, QUE had to take the PHI deal...or something like that.

This must have been the biggest trade in the NHL's history, am I right?

Here's what I can remember of the PHI trade is this:

To QUE
G- Ron Hextall
C- Petr Forsberg
C- Mike Ricci
???

To PHI
C- Eric Lindros
D- Steven Finn (not sure)
???

And the NYR proposal:

To QUE
???

To NYR
C-Eric Lindros

Thanks for the info guys!

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The second team was the New York Islanders.. not the Rangers. And i remember that Todd Bertuzzi was in the deal.

The trade for Lindros was Peter Forsberg, Ron Hextall, Mike Ricci, Kerry Huffman, Chris Simon and a draft pick (Jocelyn Thibault).. if i remember.

Old
10-22-2003, 11:36 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2CARE
The second team was the New York Islanders.. not the Rangers. And i remember that Todd Bertuzzi was in the deal.
No the offer team was the Rangers. The Isle probablely made an offer, supposablely a lot of team made offers. There was a rumor at the time that the habs had made an offer involving Roy, but......

Old
10-22-2003, 11:38 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by keemo905
I'm almost sure that the Rangers offered Richter not Vanbiesbrouck...

I also remember that the Nordiques tried to cancel the trade with Philly so they could take NY offer which they thought was better.
Ya, they was a question whether it was Richter or Beezer, supposablely Quebec had the choice between the two.

Yes, you are correct, the Nords tried to get out of the Philly deal to take the rags deal. The Av's should have to make yearly payment to the arbitrator for making them keep the Philly deal.

Old
10-22-2003, 11:44 AM
Teezax

Need i say more

Old
10-22-2003, 11:52 AM
RaTcine

ouch

I'm happy of not being a Flyers fan

Old
10-22-2003, 11:55 AM
Lewis63

Thanks to all of you

What a deal that was!!! and thanks rebellionhellion2002 to point out the financial impact that Lindros did bring to the Flyers.

The NYR package was rather tempting...

Old
10-22-2003, 12:53 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis63
Thanks to all of you

What a deal that was!!! and thanks rebellionhellion2002 to point out the financial impact that Lindros did bring to the Flyers.

The NYR package was rather tempting...
True, but in the standpoint of Colorado, i think i still take Forsberg and Ricci instead, because both of them provide grit and leadership during the development phase of this current Avs. Tony Amonte, Doug Weight and Alexei Kovalev are all good point getters, but not the type of guy that you can build a team around with.

Old
10-22-2003, 01:12 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP
True, but in the standpoint of Colorado, i think i still take Forsberg and Ricci instead, because both of them provide grit and leadership during the development phase of this current Avs. Tony Amonte, Doug Weight and Alexei Kovalev are all good point getters, but not the type of guy that you can build a team around with.
i think you can build a team around Doug Weight a few years ago, but not now.....agree that Forsberg and Ricci are more valuable as far as building a stanley cup chamption...Foppa is a very special talent

Old
10-22-2003, 01:30 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Agreed, the Gretzky trade in alot of accounts will always be the biggest trade, not only in hockey, but more so in Canadian sports history.
i have to disagree , The trade between Quebec and Philly included 2 player who won the Hart trophy ( most valuable player ) after the trade .

Hextall was at the time a solid no1 goalie and Ricci was a 1st round pick with a great upside ( like if we were trading Higgins now ) . The Nordiques also recived 15 000 000 US .... at the time it was the average payroll of a team . ( like it was 30M today )

Old
10-22-2003, 01:40 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
To QUE

Ron Hextall
Mike Ricci
Peter Forsberg
Steve Duchesne
Kerry Huffman
1993 first round pick ( Adam Deadmarsh )
15 000 000$$
future considerations

To PHI

Lindros

Old
10-22-2003, 03:37 PM
Howie Morenz

In '93,St.Louis had offered Shanahan and Cujo in a deal when Roy was on the block. Has anyone else heard this?

Old
10-22-2003, 03:38 PM
Howie Morenz

Sorry..my bad. Wrong year!

Old
10-22-2003, 03:39 PM
doc lafleur

Can somebody help me with the Adam Oates deal, Clark paid alot to bring him to Philly. I think Maxime Ouellet and a couple of pick's.

Just wondering while we are on picking on the Flyers.

Old
10-22-2003, 03:55 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
It was Oulette. and 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounders.

Old
10-22-2003, 04:00 PM
doc lafleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl.roberts
It was Oulette. and 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounders.
Thank's, that was a brutal deal, Oates did nothing for them, love it.

Old
10-22-2003, 04:25 PM
CHareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breenger

Totally agree. THE BIGGEST trade in hockey as far as widespread impact is concerned - a shock not only from a Canadian sports point of view, as Darz pointed out, but Gretzky in LA spawned a hockey revolution in LA which later spread throughout the US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
i have to disagree , The trade between Quebec and Philly included 2 player who won the Hart trophy ( most valuable player ) after the trade .

Hextall was at the time a solid no1 goalie and Ricci was a 1st round pick with a great upside ( like if we were trading Higgins now ) . The Nordiques also recived 15 000 000 US .... at the time it was the average payroll of a team . ( like it was 30M today )
In terms of the transaction price and number of valuable players involved - you are correct. The Lindros trade was huge. But none of those players - not even the two Hart winners - have affected the game of hockey the way Gretzky did when he was traded to LA. None.

Old
10-22-2003, 07:46 PM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
My memory is failing me... Could anybody remind me who was included in the Gretsky deal?

Closed Thread