HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If NYR wins the stanley cup would...

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2006, 09:15 AM
True Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
That said, the team needs to look at the long term benefit of getting Baranka or Pock or Staal into the lineup next year. I think it would be a big mistake to lock up the blueline, again, before camp begins.
I think that is the biggest thing of all. As of now, there is only one rookie defenseman playing here. There needs to be room available for these guys next year. I think that we all know by now that for all of the talk of rebuilding and open competition for spots, that the veteran will ALWAYS get the preferential treatment.
Importing more veterans or, worse yet, bringing back all three of Strudwick, Poti & Rozsival, will ensure that the same mediocre defense that is around this year will be the same mediocre defense next year.
Strudwick can be resigned, but only if his role is #7 defenseman. If it were up to me, I would not bring back either Poti or Rozsival. I would make a run at a Chara,Redden, McCabe, Jovo, Kaberle, Witt (is he a UFA?). Then fill the remaining 2 spots with Staal and one of Pock/Baranka. If Baranka does not look ready, then the answer is Pock, who at his age has to be either given a chance or cut-loose. Thus, my 6 spots would look like this:

UFA - Toots
Kasper-Staal
Malik-Pock

However, that IMO has no shot of occuring. I think that one of Rozsival or Poti is a lock to be brought back. It will probably be Rozsival, though with the likelihood of Suaer and Baranka being ready in 2 years, I would not resign him to more than a one-year deal.
Poti is a different case. His play has improved, but has overall is still not nearly enough to justify his $2,356,000 salary. His defensive game has improved, but not nearly enough for him to make a living off. He needs to score more points. I cannot see how anyone could justify giving him a raise based on his play. A raise would put his salary anywhere between $2.6-$3M. No matter how you slice it, Poti IS NOT worth such a price. However, can anyone really see Sather parting with him?
If I had to bet on a realistic lineup, I would guess Kasper, Toots, Malik, Rozsival, Staal & UFA. However, IMO, the better approach would be not be bring Rozsival back and allow someone like Pock to be given a real chance of making the team. Despite the success, it is folly to consider the rebuild over. This team MUST get younger.

Old
02-06-2006, 11:49 AM
JerseyRangers

The makeup of our defense next year hinges on two things. First off how far into the playoffs will this team go. The further we go and the better that Rozsival and Poti play the greater the chance that Sather resigns these guys. Second thing is what happens to Rachunek. If he decides to come back then that really muddies up the picture. Ideally I'd like to have two spots available; one for Staal and one for a big, physical d-man this team so sorely lacks (Chara, Jovo or Witt). Next season Kaspar, Malik and Toots are locks which leaves 3 or 4 slots. Gonna be interesting to see how this plays out.

Old
02-06-2006, 12:55 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
I think that is the biggest thing of all. As of now, there is only one rookie defenseman playing here. There needs to be room available for these guys next year. I think that we all know by now that for all of the talk of rebuilding and open competition for spots, that the veteran will ALWAYS get the preferential treatment.
Importing more veterans or, worse yet, bringing back all three of Strudwick, Poti & Rozsival, will ensure that the same mediocre defense that is around this year will be the same mediocre defense next year.
Strudwick can be resigned, but only if his role is #7 defenseman. If it were up to me, I would not bring back either Poti or Rozsival. I would make a run at a Chara,Redden, McCabe, Jovo, Kaberle, Witt (is he a UFA?). Then fill the remaining 2 spots with Staal and one of Pock/Baranka. If Baranka does not look ready, then the answer is Pock, who at his age has to be either given a chance or cut-loose. Thus, my 6 spots would look like this:

UFA - Toots
Kasper-Staal
Malik-Pock

However, that IMO has no shot of occuring. I think that one of Rozsival or Poti is a lock to be brought back. It will probably be Rozsival, though with the likelihood of Suaer and Baranka being ready in 2 years, I would not resign him to more than a one-year deal.
Poti is a different case. His play has improved, but has overall is still not nearly enough to justify his $2,356,000 salary. His defensive game has improved, but not nearly enough for him to make a living off. He needs to score more points. I cannot see how anyone could justify giving him a raise based on his play. A raise would put his salary anywhere between $2.6-$3M. No matter how you slice it, Poti IS NOT worth such a price. However, can anyone really see Sather parting with him?
If I had to bet on a realistic lineup, I would guess Kasper, Toots, Malik, Rozsival, Staal & UFA. However, IMO, the better approach would be not be bring Rozsival back and allow someone like Pock to be given a real chance of making the team. Despite the success, it is folly to consider the rebuild over. This team MUST get younger.
Poti has played as well for us this year as he's ever played however whether he signs with us or not I have to think he's taking a pay cut from whoever does sign him. Roszival is relatively cheap at 700K. Both of these guys may be around until late summer (Poti because I don't believe anyone is going to give him a raise but I expect he'll wait and wait for it)--maybe into September which would allow us time to explore other options. I do expect one of them to be back though but it's not necessarily the end of the world if neither come back--especially if we bring in a Chara or a Redden.

Old
02-06-2006, 08:53 PM
Edge

Can't see Poti coming in at half of his current contract which (with his production) is probably what the Rangers are going to offer. On the flip side, I can't see the Rangers qualifying at the price to retain his rights. Just from a money issue I don't think Poti will be back.

As for the defense, there have been many times it's been very shakey at best. Playing better than expected yes, but Lundqvist and the checking lines are 95% of why the team ranks where it is defensivly.

Old
02-06-2006, 09:20 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue

UFA - Toots
Kasper-Staal
Malik-Pock

I'm with you. Let's just play make-believe. You only bring back Malik, Tyutin, and Kasperitis. You get lucky on the free agent market and land Chara, Redden, Kaberle or McCabe or someone of that caliber. Then you bring in Staal. The 6th spot is up for grabs within the organization. Rachunek, Richter, Sauer, Pock, Baranka and Lampman all deserve a shot. Pock and Lampman are nearing the end of their respective windows. Give them a realistic shot and see if they are worth keeping. I'd love that lineup and it is definitely a huge improvement over the current one. I would not be opposed to having Strudwick around as our 7th D. No point in having a young guy rot in the stands.

Old
02-06-2006, 10:09 PM
Fletch

Edge...

can they even qualify? I think he's UFA no matter what at season's end - this was the last year in which the Rangers retained his rights.

Old
02-06-2006, 11:05 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
can they even qualify? I think he's UFA no matter what at season's end - this was the last year in which the Rangers retained his rights.
Is he unrestricted at this point? I don't even know.

Either way, I just can't see him returning to NY. And he's not the kind of guy I'd throw money at to convince to stay either.

Poti, IMO, isn't going to be a NYR next season. I don't even factor him into any thought of next season.

Closed Thread