HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Redden or Chara?

View Poll Results: Which would you rather sign (if one only) in the off-season?
Wade Redden 70 47.95%
Zdeno Chara 76 52.05%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2006, 07:49 PM
Fletch

vCash: 500
With the stats Redden's putting up...

he may be more expensive than Chara. They both have identical salaries currently.

Old
02-05-2006, 08:16 PM
Hfbk2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank
If you had to pick one for the Rangers to get in the off-season?
What happened to McCabe? Nobody wants him?

Old
02-05-2006, 08:41 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hfbk2006
What happened to McCabe? Nobody wants him?
In short, no. Redden or Chara should be the main free agent targets this summer, and after them Thomas Kaberle. McCabe's offense is nice, but he is an atrocious defender.

Old
02-05-2006, 08:53 PM
Noonan25

If the Rangers get Redden their D will be....

Redden/Tyutin
Malik/Staal
Kasper/Pock

Old
02-05-2006, 09:21 PM
robertch

Redden over Chara. But I think we should take a pass on both. Go after a lower profile free agent D-man or make a trade for a younger guy like Vishnevski.

Old
02-05-2006, 09:31 PM
Roy G Biv*

I don't like this thread. It makes me feel uneasy.

Old
02-05-2006, 10:05 PM
dank

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8
besides (nothing to do with the actual issue), i'm not being xenophobic or anything but do we really need more czechs? i would like to see some good ole north american boys playing for new york.
u are xenophobic by saying that. also Chara is Slovakian, not Czech, and thirdly NY itself is full of non 'north-american boys', lets get used to it as long as it brings us success.

Up with Europeans!

Old
02-05-2006, 10:08 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Nether, sign McCabe.

Old
02-05-2006, 10:24 PM
TheZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan25
If the Rangers get Redden their D will be....

Redden/Tyutin
Malik/Staal
Kasper/Pock
I rather would like to see
Redden/Staal (What flaw can you find in this combo i dont think they would ever be minus in any game)
Kaspar/Tyutin (You gotta keep the russian connection in tact)
Malik/Pock (Defense/Offense right there)

Here's another question. Keep Malik or Roszival? Roszival has been hot lately.

Old
02-05-2006, 10:36 PM
VEGASRANGERFAN

I would take Redden, but I think Ottawa would too. That being said, I would take Chara.

Old
02-05-2006, 10:37 PM
pld459666

just asking, but are you serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by romba
Go after Richards? And who would he replace? Moore will get an extension, so should Betts, and you can bet Straka will as long as JJ is aorund, and we also want to give Immonen a chance with the big club. I don't see how Richards fits in the picture.

Richards makes Immonen VERY expendable.

Richards becomes the Rangers #1 center for the next 10 years if we are lucky enough to be able to sign him.

If you are that hell bent on keeping Betts and Moore and Immonen then Nylander can go and I'd be happy with that because Richards is better than any player on our team not named Jagr.

Old
02-05-2006, 10:48 PM
Hfbk2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank
If you had to pick one for the Rangers to get in the off-season?
Would the Rangers have enough cap space to sign both if they traded away Nylander, Ward and Niemo for picks/prospects, and dumped Roszival, Hossa and Poti?

I'd love to raid Ottawa like that. It would turn the NYR into an instant Cup contender, while the Sens would instatly stop being one.

Old
02-06-2006, 01:18 AM
dank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hfbk2006
Would the Rangers have enough cap space to sign both if they traded away Nylander, Ward and Niemo for picks/prospects, and dumped Roszival, Hossa and Poti?

I'd love to raid Ottawa like that. It would turn the NYR into an instant Cup contender, while the Sens would instatly stop being one.
haha, yes, i would love that as well.. since both of them are FA let's hope that if we don't take both (Sweeet) we take one (i'd like Chara) and someone else (pref. not NJ, PHI, etc. ) take the others.. muhahaha

Old
02-06-2006, 01:35 AM
Bacchus

"if only one"

Well, I'd go with Chara.

Old
02-06-2006, 06:25 AM
Kostik

I would go for Kaberle, he and Jagr had incredible chemistry in Czech Extraliga last year when they played for Kladno. He is not physical like these two guys, but he has excellent ofensive talent.
Anyway, Toronto will keep him.
Voted for Redden, better package then Chara.

Old
02-06-2006, 10:09 AM
Sticky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej's Dance
Staal is the reason I go for Redden. I don't think Baranka will be ready for next year, he's almost there but you want more production and less rough edges. Times running out for Pock IMO, if he hasn't shown the defensive side to his game that's needed I don't think Sather will wait around. I love Taylor and Liffiton, maybe they could get spot duty and receive a taste of the NHL here and there. Imagine next year if we got a steady d-man on top of Redden! Redden-Staal, Tyutin-Kubina, Kasparaitis-Malik, Strudwick. Or make Kubina someone like a Witt/Smith if Sather goes for a deadline piece to the playoff puzzle.
That's funny. lol. I was going to say that because of Staal, I feel like Staal is very comparable to Wade Redden (in fact ive said this before), I think that he will be a very similar defenseman to Redden in his prime. That is why I think Chara would bring another element to the team.

Of course, on the other hand, it would be great to have a guy like Redden around to tutor Staal.

Old
02-06-2006, 10:45 AM
SML

I agree, I think of Redden when I hear the reports of Staal's game. Nothing super flashy, but always very consistent. I think the Sens place a slightly higher value on Redden, so I think the move to make would be at Chara. If the Sens feel they need to keep Redden around, they're going not going to let go of him quite so easy. Plus, Chara's a physical mismatch against every team in the league. Definitely Chara.

Old
02-06-2006, 12:44 PM
Bretzky*

Definitely Redden. Aside from being better offensively, he's a leader-type player and I can picture Redden lifting a cup in a Rangers jersey much easier than I can picture Chara doing so.

Old
02-06-2006, 12:56 PM
Its a PP Goal

Hmm the Porsche or the Ferrari?

I'm intrigued with Chara's uniqueness, being so big and good but I'd probably take Redden because of his overall ability. He's the offensive pointman we're looking for and one of the best in his own zone. I think two way players on the blueline are harder to find than size.

Obviously, you can't go wrong with either one.

Old
02-06-2006, 01:20 PM
Edge

That's a really tough call, REALLY tough.

In a very close call, I go with Chara because he's a little younger, he's one of a kind and I think he'd be a more difficult package than Redden.

I think guys like Tyutin, Staal, and maybe even Sauer provide a good group of guys who could move (or potentially) move the puck and Chara isn't exactly chopped liver in that department.

I dont think either pick is bad and I don't think it's a simple choice. If I could get either of them I'm happy.

Old
02-06-2006, 01:22 PM
Fletch

Porsche or Ferrari?

more like Lamboughini or Maserati (two names I cannot spell).

Old
02-06-2006, 01:35 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky
That's funny. lol. I was going to say that because of Staal, I feel like Staal is very comparable to Wade Redden (in fact ive said this before), I think that he will be a very similar defenseman to Redden in his prime. That is why I think Chara would bring another element to the team.

Of course, on the other hand, it would be great to have a guy like Redden around to tutor Staal.
Good point.

Staal confuses me to be honest. Now, I don't think Staal is comparable to Redden, but I always wanted to think that in the past. Someone mentioned Larry Robinson and thats a good fit. Staal is way bigger than Redden, not as smooth a skater, and doesn't have his offense yet. I think the comparison comes from being a steadying influence on the D corps, Redden is a calming player for OTT because he can do alot of things. I don't think its a case of Staal doing things exactly the same way Redden does(thus not comparable in style), but he can have the same "effect" as Redden. Does this sound right?

Old
02-06-2006, 01:43 PM
Its a PP Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
more like Lamboughini or Maserati (two names I cannot spell).
The only reason I didn't use Lambourghini is because I couldn't spell it!

Old
02-06-2006, 02:12 PM
Fletch

At least you had enought sense...

in using an 'r' when trying to spell it.

Old
02-06-2006, 04:36 PM
True Blue

Both Chara & Redden will get no less than $5m. One would think that their numbers would approach, or exceed $6m. I have no idea of how Ottaway will pay both such amounts. Considering that eventually they will have to pay the piper for Havlat and Heatly. Let's not forget Spezza.
If I had to bet, I would think that the 'Sens would pick Chara over Redden. However, when looking at the players assembled there, I would not discount either or both taking less money to stay and compete for the Cup every year.

Closed Thread