HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Are the Kings done?

Old
02-24-2017, 01:40 AM
fcbarcelona

vCash: 500
Are the Kings done?

Anyone else get the impression these guys won't make the playoffs?

fcbarcelona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 01:43 AM
Monabae
praise jim benning

vCash: 50
They still face Calgary four times. They aren't done yet.

Monabae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 01:44 AM
YourAverageFan*

They're still right in the thick of things. They have 4 more games against Calgary this season. That will most likely determine which one of them goes to the playoffs

YourAverageFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 01:47 AM
Reinhart

They aren't looking good, but hardly done. Lots of head-to-head match-ups. Calgary, Nashville and St. Louis aren't guaranteed a thing at this point either, and one or more of those teams can get a bit cold. Kings will have to get their act together soon, however.

Reinhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 01:50 AM
Raccoon Jesus
\_(ツ)_/

Toast.

Budaj can't make a big save, and they're listless in the offensive zone. They're playing emotionless bubble hockey on Sutter rails.

If they want to save the season, they'll change the coach. If not, they'll ride into the black hole.

They're also seeming the most snakebitten team in the league, but that's just a symptom of gutless hockey.

"What the ****, guys? It was a metaphor." --Dean Lombardi, 2015.
Raccoon Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 01:51 AM
Mobiandi
Seanny Gaudreau

vCash: 395
Yeah. All the games against the Kings project to be 4 pointers. They're still in it

Mobiandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 01:53 AM
Raccoon Jesus
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiandi View Post
Yeah. All the games against the Kings project to be 4 pointers. They're still in it
I prefer to call it "not mathematically eliminated"

They're still in it like they were still in it at the end of 2015 when they couldn't muster anything to save their season. That's the same look.

Raccoon Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 01:55 AM
Belieber
Never Say Never

They have a 7 game home stand coming, and 4 vs the flames so sadly that boring, dull team still has a chance to make whatever playoff series they're in unwatchable again this year. Hopefully they miss.

Belieber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 01:56 AM
Reinhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon Jesus View Post

They're still in it like they were still in it at the end of 2015 when they couldn't muster anything to save their season. That's the same look.
That's been the calling card of the Kings lately though, right? Look like they are a bit listless and on auto-pilot, then suddenly start cranking out the wins.

I am not counting them out yet (I wish I could, as I cheer for the Flames). Definitely very much in it.

Reinhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 02:06 AM
Mobiandi
Seanny Gaudreau

vCash: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon Jesus View Post

We've gone through 2 long stretches where we looked dead in the water. Things are just as up in the air for us. The Kings could go hot at any time in the final stretch

Mobiandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 02:11 AM
Bleedred
Boedker sucks

I actually predicted one of them or Anaheim to miss the playoffs before the year started, slightly favoring the Kings to miss, due to not having a lot of confidence in their offensive firepower.

I didn't realize they were a few points out, until I looked at the standings tonight.

A couple weeks ago, I didn't think they were gonna miss. Now, I think they just might. Their remaining games against Calgary will be key. They also need to win a lot of their other games as well. Losing games to Boston with Khudobin in net and giving up a 4 spot to Arizona (I saw that game and Budaj was horrific) are just plain BAD losses when you're in their position.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 03:11 AM
neXis

Definitely done. Kings have no forward depth. They have a bunch of 3rd/4th liners who don't score - their only job is to get big hits, that's it. Combine that with Kopitar, Gaborik, Toffoli, Pearson, their go to point producers struggling to put up goals/points - you're going to get a very bad team that lacks offense. Their D is better than last years, but their goaltending is a hit or miss sometimes without Quick. To top it all off this team is huge trouble for years to come, with their GM trading away their picks like candy for rentals, it has cost this team a young core to carry them 5-10 years from now. So Lombardi has screwed the Kings for a good decade because of the bad contracts (Brown, Gaborik, Kopitar?) he has given out, not to mention acquiring a bunch of mediocre 10 points-a-season players. I forgot who pointed it out, but all of the Kings acquisitions this year have been sent down to the AHL with the exception of Zaktoff. So that tells you have bad their acquisitions have been this season. Kings are screwed down the road, thanks to Dean.

I also think this is the end for Darryl Sutter. Kings might fire him if they miss the playoffs. Which I predict they will miss and he will be most likely gone. But this might be good news for Kings fans. I think his style of "big, physical, slow, gritty" play has been exposed by faster more skilled teams, so the Kings could see a shift in play.

neXis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 03:54 AM
Bleedred
Boedker sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by neXis View Post
Definitely done. Kings have no forward depth. They have a bunch of 3rd/4th liners who don't score - their only job is to get big hits, that's it. Combine that with Kopitar, Gaborik, Toffoli, Pearson, their go to point producers struggling to put up goals/points - you're going to get a very bad team that lacks offense. Their D is better than last years, but their goaltending is a hit or miss sometimes without Quick. To top it all off this team is huge trouble for years to come, with their GM trading away their picks like candy for rentals, it has cost this team a young core to carry them 5-10 years from now. So Lombardi has screwed the Kings for a good decade because of the bad contracts (Brown, Gaborik, Kopitar?) he has given out, not to mention acquiring a bunch of mediocre 10 points-a-season players. I forgot who pointed it out, but all of the Kings acquisitions this year have been sent down to the AHL with the exception of Zaktoff. So that tells you have bad their acquisitions have been this season. Kings are screwed down the road, thanks to Dean.

I also think this is the end for Darryl Sutter. Kings might fire him if they miss the playoffs. Which I predict they will miss and he will be most likely gone. But this might be good news for Kings fans. I think his style of "big, physical, slow, gritty" play has been exposed by faster more skilled teams, so the Kings could see a shift in play.
Good, I hope he does get fired and the Devils BETTER be interested if he is. **** Hynes, if Sutter is available.

I'm surprised he was brought back, since the article (from Jon Rosen) days prior to him being re-signed, seemed to sound like he was okay with not having him back. Maybe that was just my interpretation.

I feel like Sutter has done all he can with the Kings. His system keeps them in games and causes them to outplay their opponent most nights, but their poor forward depth has kept them from scoring more. Sometimes a coach is at the point where it's time to move on, Sutter has probably reached his shelf life there. It's been a hell of a run. I hope Shero is interested, or we could just stay status no (for no-event hockey) with Hynes, where getting outshot 32-24 is considered a ''Good game'' these days and getting outshot 42-21 by the Islanders isn't a bad game because we win 3-1 and we boxed out and only allowed ''Perimeter'' shots.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 03:59 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Based

they can't score goals but could still get a wild card spot. forward core is pretty weak don't know how they fix it

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 04:28 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

I think so.

I think Lombardi's moves since 2014 have put the team beyond the point of repair. We are in a tough spot because Kopitar is signed for the next 7 seasons and is playing awful right now. Gaborik is basically done yet still signed for 4 more years, Brown while playing better this year is still a horrendous contract and Quick is signed long term but coming off a serious injury for a goaltender.

And Doughty hits UFA in two seasons, and the team will probably be even worse by then because there is nothing in the system because Lombardi has traded away so many picks and prospects.

If Rob Blake takes over as rumored, he is going to have a massive mess to clean up with these contracts and the awful pipeline.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 04:48 AM
Anthony Spilotro

Sutter should've done some Herb Brooks "herbies" after the game after the pathetic effort against the Bruins.
This team is done. Somebody needs to be fired.

Anthony Spilotro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 07:55 AM
PJ Kings Hockey

Seems like Carter and Pearson have done all the scoring this season. Shut them down and it's game over. The D is promising but still out of balance. Despite all the griping and a few lopsided games, our G.A.A. is one of the best in the league. It's the Goals For that is sad sack.

The long contracts for nonproducing players and the thin prospect pool is killing us. Last night the Kings lost 4-1 but the last 2 were empty-netters. Essentially, the defense kept the opposing goals to 2 until the end, but you can't win if you only score 1 goal. Lather, rinse, repeat.

PJ Kings Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 08:10 AM
karnige
Real Life FTL

they need offense so bad. if they could score they would be just fine.

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 09:26 AM
KingsHockey24

Like I said in a previous thread; LA won't make the playoffs this year.

KingsHockey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 09:28 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

I've seen this movie before, and I didn't like the ending.

Put your forks away, done I think not.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 09:30 AM
ffh

vCash: 50
like dinner.

ffh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 09:44 AM
KingsFan7824

Kopitar, Toffoli, and Gaborik. That's the story.

Gaborik was a question mark going into October after a not so great 15-16 season, then got hurt again. Now he's just putting a jersey on every game and little else. Toffoli is a 20 goal guy instead of a 30 goal guy this year. Kopitar might have 3 times as many posts hit as he has goals, but 6 goals just is not anywhere near enough.

If someone, anyone, in this triad could start scoring, they might have a chance. If things keep going the way they're going, then yeah, they're done. They're 18-27 in regulation, currently hanging on by a thread because for some reason they're the greatest team ever at 3v3.

KingsFan7824 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 09:45 AM
Butch 19
Go cart Mozart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monabae View Post
They still face Calgary four times. They aren't done yet.
naw, they have been playing in desperation mode the last few weeks, and they aren't playing too desperate (err...... well)

they're done.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 09:50 AM
Butch 19
Go cart Mozart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Good, I hope he does get fired and the Devils BETTER be interested if he is. **** Hynes, if Sutter is available.

I'm surprised he was brought back, since the article (from Jon Rosen) days prior to him being re-signed, seemed to sound like he was okay with not having him back. Maybe that was just my interpretation.

I feel like Sutter has done all he can with the Kings. His system keeps them in games and causes them to outplay their opponent most nights, but their poor forward depth has kept them from scoring more. Sometimes a coach is at the point where it's time to move on, Sutter has probably reached his shelf life there.
I'm thinking Sutter wants to go back to full time farming...

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 11:18 AM
lordpeps

vCash: 368
i don't think sutter will get fired, he'll get a break like therrien with quick being out all season

lordpeps is offline   Reply With Quote