HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Are the Kings done?

Old
02-24-2017, 01:24 PM
Mcikinzom

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon Jesus View Post
The Hawks lost Buff et. al. in the first place because Tallon doesn't know how to work a ****ing fax machine, it wasn't genius foresight, it was quite the opposite.

Full marks for everything done since then obviously.
Getting fired for being bad at using a calculator and fax machine is pretty embarrassing.

The Hawks have made mistakes too though, they should have really found a way to keep Saad. The overpayment of Toews will eventually lead to their massive plummet down the standings.

Mcikinzom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 01:25 PM
Raccoon Jesus
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsharks92 View Post
Yep. Being the least impressive "2x SC winning team" is like being the least attractive person in a room full of super models. Either way you're doing pretty darn well for yourself, and any critique is just nit-picking. And yes, I'd surely take that over being "best team for a decade to not have a cup"
People also seem to forget there's a WCF appearance between the two Cups as well, where their championship defense was foiled by the Hawks being a woodchipper that whole year.

Kings were dead men walking so who knows what they do if they win that series anyways, but pretending the 2012-2014 Kings were some sort of fluke is some impressive re-imagining of history, especially considering the source.

"What the ****, guys? It was a metaphor." --Dean Lombardi, 2015.
Raccoon Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 01:38 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon Jesus View Post
People also seem to forget there's a WCF appearance between the two Cups as well, where their championship defense was foiled by the Hawks being a woodchipper that whole year.

Kings were dead men walking so who knows what they do if they win that series anyways, but pretending the 2012-2014 Kings were some sort of fluke is some impressive re-imagining of history, especially considering the source.
Agree with all that.

Like it has been said - it will be interesting to see the historical legacy of the Kings. Without actually watching how dominant they were in 2012 in the play-off's, and how resilient they were in 2014, I think that folks just looking at the stats will fail to understand how really damn good they were. As a Hawks fan, that 2014 WCF final really stings, and I'll always remember how the Kings just NEVER went away.

This conversation reminds me of the recent "How did the Bruins beat ever beat the Canucks while being out-Corsi?" thread, and that series was only 6 years ago. Those Kings teams weren't based just on G & A, or regular season record. When it counted, they were warriors, and they were going to leave it all on the ice. Gotta tip your hat to that kind of determination and level of sacrifice.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 01:49 PM
BDizzle*

I am surprised with the Kings play, I thought they would be a strong contender again this year. I also thought that Kopitar would light the league on fire, especially after his strong performance with Team Europe in the WHC.

BDizzle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 01:53 PM
EbonyRaptor

There was a similar thread 2-3 weeks ago questioning the possible demise of the Kings. At that time I posted I thought they still had a chance if things started going their way - like Kopitar and Toffoli playing up to their potential and some of the young players stepping up with more consistency. That's still the case but a couple weeks have gone by and they don't seem to be getting any better, so my optimism has been lowered somewhat.

But, they're only 4 points out of a wildcard spot behind Calgary with a game in hand. Besides that, with the possible exception of Winnipeg - there is no team behind them that is going to beat them out. So it essentially comes down to beating Calgary and playing .500 against everyone else. Very doable.

Answer this question, which team has the better assemblage of players - LA or Calgary. My vote goes to LA.

EbonyRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 01:55 PM
TheNumber4

Can you ever count out the Kings? They have a knack for putting it all together late in the season to the point where they are one of the most tight checking and dominant systems in the league. Plus, isn't Quick coming back soon? They've played all season with a backup goalie and they upgrade to one of the best in the world.

This on top of the aforementioned games against Calgary. No way anyone should be counting them out.

TheNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 02:01 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
I've seen this movie before, and I didn't like the ending.

Put your forks away, done I think not.
Exactly what I was thinking. This type of season won a Stanley Cup.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 02:02 PM
EbonyRaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcikinzom View Post
Getting fired for being bad at using a calculator and fax machine is pretty embarrassing.

The Hawks have made mistakes too though, they should have really found a way to keep Saad. The overpayment of Toews will eventually lead to their massive plummet down the standings.
No doubt - every GM does. But I'm not sure the Saad trade was all that bad for the Hawks. Sure it would be nice to keep the Saad-Toews-Hossa line together - they were one of the top lines in 2015. But, the truth of the matter is that the Hawks got Anisimov who is probably the best model of a center to complement Kane that Kane has had since he played with Toews 7 or 8 years ago. Anisimov's play allows Kane and Panarin to freewheel and do their thing which n the big picture may be more valuable than having Saad on Toews' LW. In addition, it's not like Anisimov is chopped liver soring wise either - he has 21 goals / 42 points to Saad's 18 goals / 41 points.

EbonyRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 02:02 PM
fsanford

Quick is allegedly to be back and start on Saturday, you would hope the team responds with a strong game in front of him. Especially against your cross town rivals.

Will see..

Last edited by fsanford: 02-24-2017 at 02:12 PM.
fsanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 02:12 PM
Osprey

I'm pretty critical of them and was more pessimistic about them in the offseason than most, but they aren't even close to being done. They're only four points out with a game in hand on Calgary and the ROW advantage (they're tied now, but, if they make up those 4 points, they'll likely win the tiebreaker). They also have the best goal differential (by at least 8 goals) of any of the teams battling for that last wildcard spot. Statistically, they still have a pretty good chance of making the playoffs, albeit in the final slot.

Now, if you had wanted to argue that they're "done" as contenders (as some posters have seemingly mistaken the topic of this thread), that would have more validity, but they're still very much in the playoff hunt. It'll likely be a one round and done postseason if they do get in, but that's another matter, as well.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 02:41 PM
Maukkis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monabae View Post
They still face Calgary four times. They aren't done yet.
How are they sixty games in while only having faced a divisional rival once?

Maukkis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 03:18 PM
x Tame Impala

Done, as in making the playoffs? Of course not. It's simply mathematically likely that they make it, especially with the games against CGY.

Now if you want to have the more dreary conversation of "are the Kings done being cup contenders?" then I think that's a lot more interesting.

I'm a Hawks fan and generally we all love the Kings for their similar style of play, similar roster makeup (Doughty=Keith, Kopitar=Toews, etc...), and for them embarrassing Vancouver in 2012. It's sad to see the state they're in and the sheer amount of bad luck the team has gone through.

I'm not sure non-Kings fans are aware of the impact Stoll, Voynov, Richards, and Brown not only had in the two cup runs, but were expected to have for the foreseeable future. For those guys to fall off the way they did and leave behind a cap mess they did is crippling. It would be as if from the 2013 Hawks we saw Hossa, Sharp, Hjalmarsson, and Shaw just fall off the face of the earth with their play but have most of their cap hits still on the books.

I like Sutter and his system, and except for trading away 1sts for Sekera and Lucic, I don't think Lombardi has made too many bad decisions. He's just been pretty unlucky.

It's honestly sad to say, but pending major changes I don't think the Kings are cup contenders anymore. They'll at best be a "team you really don't want to face in the first or second round".

x Tame Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 03:36 PM
fsanford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maukkis View Post
How are they sixty games in while only having faced a divisional rival once?
Its a stupid schedule, they were done with that Sharks in Jan.
They have like 3 against the Oilers, 4 against Flames..

fsanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 04:24 PM
cgf
Fire Bednar

They just need to trade for Iggy...

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 04:29 PM
Mcikinzom

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsanford View Post
Its a stupid schedule, they were done with that Sharks in Jan.
They have like 3 against the Oilers, 4 against Flames..
And those final few games with the Oilers are at the end of the season. It looks like Edmonton might clinch earlier so what happens if they dress a bunch of scrubs and rest their stars? The other teams will get screwed.

Mcikinzom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 04:30 PM
MessierII

Not done but need to turn it around quick here.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 04:33 PM
DJJones

I like this thread.

Ultimately comes down to the head to heads with Calgary. If we go 2-2 I like our chances.

They seemingly can't score and Calgary is playing their best hockey of the year by a long shot. Wideman's gone and we actually have two lines that can score at the moment.

DJJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 04:48 PM
kingsholygrail
Smug

I don't know if they're done yet. I won't be totally solidified on it until they face Calgary, but they're definitely sinking slowly below the water line. Losing 4 of 5 at home at a point in the season where the schedule favors you is not how you get into the post season.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 04:50 PM
The Gloaming
Free Jesper Fast

No. I learned that you can never count that core out of a ga,e or a season until it's over.

The Gloaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 04:59 PM
uTurris
We the True North

I think they'll make three more playoff appearances in the next five seasons before they're officially done.

Make it past the first round? Maybe once, but only to get swept. And then they'll stink for 7-10 seasons.

uTurris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 05:09 PM
G0AT

Not until the last game of the season. Don't count em out.

G0AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 05:20 PM
Knight of the Realm
Only in Blowouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
Not sure. But if they miss the playoffs again, I think you can rule out of the "great team" conversation, as they fall to the bottom of two-cup teams. Years from now, people will look back and say "THAT team won two cups? wtf?".

Which is weird to say when a team has two cups, but kinda true. Comparing them to other two-cup teams like the 90s Pens, 20-2010s Pens, 90s/01 Avs, 00s Devils, 00s Wings, and 90s Wings they pale in comparison. Which is not what I would have thought 3 years ago when I assumed Doughty/Kopitar's high level postseason play would continue in future regular/postseasons.
I'm sorry Shark fan, Those two cup teams are not this team.

Numerous reasons they are what they are now and the last two seasons.

12-14 were legit teams.

How are your Sharks gonna be remembered? Probably like the 92-93 Kings.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 05:22 PM
Knight of the Realm
Only in Blowouts

Unless LA learns how to score 4 goals a game, from here on out, they are clear the management out done.

Last edited by Knight of the Realm: 02-24-2017 at 05:38 PM.
Old
02-24-2017, 05:23 PM
LeafFever

The Kings are just not a good team. They lacked depth everywhere. and that cap situation is going to be bad for years.

LeafFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 05:35 PM
Knight of the Realm
Only in Blowouts

LA has a high number of injuries. Kopitar is having his worst year bar none ever. Toffoli is still injured. Quick hasn't played a full game. Budaj is admirable but he is not Quick. Defense has had an infusion of youth that will be very good. Gaborik and Brown eat up too much cap for what they bring and that is an issue going forward.

Last year they were the second team to clinch in route to a Kings record year. Lost gas at the end. Lost gas at the end of 15. Looks like it is happening again.

Kings have always been streaky with scoring, even since 12.

Players sacrifice offense in LA for system and a 200 foot game. Looks like it is time to adjust/depart from that system with the current make up and personnel.

Even with one of the worst years they have had in a long time, with legit injuries to key players and a gap that was never filled with Lucic departing, LA is still not technically eliminated.

But Toronto fan says they are not a good team. Enjoy the youth you have while you can. Hope your GM does as well as DL did.