HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ALL Vegas Expansion talk here -who do the Bruins protect

View Poll Results: How would you approach the expansion draft?
Protect just the 8 skaters + 1 goalie in the OP 14 11.48%
Add C. Miller + Beleskey to the protected list 10 8.20%
Add C. Miller + an inexpensive forward (ie. Schaller) to the protected list 68 55.74%
Add a D-man that isn't C. Miller + 1 forward to the protected list (Who?) 24 19.67%
I disagree with the 8 players being kept in the OP to begin with (Comment below) 6 4.92%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-27-2017, 08:56 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerTurnedBruin55 View Post
Made this thread in the trade forum to get an idea of who may be available (left unprotected. Anyone sound interesting?
I recognized very few names (I have all I can do to keep track of the Bruins lol) and those that I recognized I don't think will help or were already traded/let go by the Bruins. Benoit Poulliot, anyone?

Old
04-27-2017, 09:12 AM
Dr Seldon

Isn't Jakob Silfverberg at risk of not being protected by Anaheim? That would be a suitable target, I would give up some futures for him.

Old
04-27-2017, 09:28 AM
Dr Hook

Send a message via MSN to Dr Hook
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
I recognized very few names (I have all I can do to keep track of the Bruins lol) and those that I recognized I don't think will help or were already traded/let go by the Bruins. Benoit Poulliot, anyone?
Not a lot of likely lads there- LV is going to be absolutely terrible There are bound to be a few surprises when it happens, but it doesn't seem like this is a player pool we ought to be looking at to improve our top 6.

Old
04-27-2017, 02:01 PM
bb_fan

Quote:
I think K. Miller raised his stock a bit, but I still think we only should be running a team that McQuaid and K. Miller aren't in our top 4.

I think the order of value to the Bruins currently probably goes as following:
K. Miller
C. Miller
A. McQuaid

Order of value for the future is:
C. Miller
K. Miller
A. McQuaid

Point being, unless involved in a trade agreed to be taken, McQuaid suits up next season for the Bruins no matter what.

I still protect C. Miller, knowing K. Miller is much more attractive than McQuaid at the moment, and we run the next season without K. Miller, but still, have McQuaid and C. Miller.

McQuaid and K. Miller are redundant and 5-6 million on 2 bottom pair defensemen combined isn't a good use of cap space.

This all may be moot, as Joe Morrow may have made a case for Vegas to snatch him up, less pressure, can be given ice time, he'll hit his prime after Vegas has been in the league for several years.
I put McQuaid above Kevin Miller every day of the week.

Go back to the Mcquaid thread from the beginning of the year were most people wanted McQuaid gone, then K. Miller proceeded to suck for most of the year where McQuaid was doing a pretty decent job filling in the on the top 4.

K. Miller had a good finish to his season, but his ups and downs (with the downs usually lasting longer than up's) do it for me.

and at this point, C. Miller has a ton more upside than both on pure skill, but does he have that much more upside than any of the younger kids in providence at this point? the skating and passing don't do much if the hockey I.Q. doesn't improve.

seems like skating skilled D-men are in the system (carlo, Lauzon, Gryz, etc etc, not even including Mcavoy), but overall team 'toughness' (forwards and d-men) are severely lacking.

Old
04-27-2017, 02:40 PM
Fonzerelli

I wonder if there is a team out there who has too many unprotected forwards but room to protect a defenseman. If so, maybe there is some trades available where we could move a guy like Killer or combination of Killer/Chiller/McQuaid/Prospects and at the same time address a need and bring in a 2nd line LW or RW or both. Or even just to aquire a potentially unprotected forward or two ahead of the expansion draft for surplus prospects.

Just quickly browsing the Expansion Draft tool at Capfriendly and notice a few forwards potentially left unprotected who might be intreaguing to us for different reasons. Just a few that are on the outside-looking-in of their teams estimated protected lists right now;

Anaheim
Silfverberg, Jakob 26 RW $3,750,000 UFA (2019) ✔

Arizona
McGinn, Jamie 28 LW $3,333,333 UFA (2019) ✔

Chicago
Kruger, Marcus 26 C $3,083,333 UFA (2019) ✔

Detroit
Glendening, Luke 27 C $1,800,000 UFA (2021) ✔

Nashville
Jarnkrok, Calle 25 C $2,000,000 UFA (2022) ✔
Wilson, Colin 27 C $3,937,500 UFA (2019) ✔

NYI
Clutterbuck, Cal 29 RW $3,500,000 UFA (2022) ✔

NYR
Hayes, Kevin 24 C $2,600,000 RFA (2018) ✔
Grabner, Michael 29 RW $1,650,000 UFA (2018) ✔

TB
Namestnikov, Vlad 24 C $1,937,500 RFA (2018) ✔
Condra, Erik 30 RW $1,250,000 UFA (2018) ✔

Old
04-27-2017, 02:46 PM
Estlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzerelli View Post

Anaheim
Silfverberg, Jakob 26 RW $3,750,000 UFA (2019) ✔
It would be great if Boston could somehow make a deal with Anaheim to get Silfverberg. That would be huge for the team's RW depth.

Old
04-27-2017, 02:47 PM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
True Grit

Awards:
Golden Knights open to deals before expansion draft
General manager George McPhee says the Vegas Golden Knights are open for business to any teams seeking to protect their players in the upcoming NHL expansion draft.

McPhee told The Associated Press he's already had preliminary discussions with most teams over what trades could be made before the draft is held in Las Vegas on June 21, two days before the traditional draft. Without going into much detail, McPhee said talks have focused on which players teams would prefer the Golden Knights either select or don't.

In exchange, McPhee is open to acquiring draft picks to begin stockpiling for depth. The team opens its first season in October.

"If they want to give us draft picks to encourage us to take a certain player or leave another player alone, we're open-minded and we're going to listen to everyone," McPhee said. "You usually build your team, historically, through the entry draft, so we'd certainly be interested in acquiring picks."

http://www.tsn.ca/golden-knights-ope...draft-1.736551

You tell 'em I'M coming...

and Hell's coming with me, you hear?! ... Hell's coming with me!
Old
04-27-2017, 02:58 PM
Fonzerelli

Old
04-27-2017, 03:28 PM
ODAAT

not necessarily an expansion question but if the B`s or anyone wanted to, could a trade be made right now?

Old
04-27-2017, 03:36 PM
WhalerTurnedBruin55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan View Post
I put McQuaid above Kevin Miller every day of the week.

Go back to the Mcquaid thread from the beginning of the year were most people wanted McQuaid gone, then K. Miller proceeded to suck for most of the year where McQuaid was doing a pretty decent job filling in the on the top 4.

K. Miller had a good finish to his season, but his ups and downs (with the downs usually lasting longer than up's) do it for me.

and at this point, C. Miller has a ton more upside than both on pure skill, but does he have that much more upside than any of the younger kids in providence at this point? the skating and passing don't do much if the hockey I.Q. doesn't improve.

seems like skating skilled D-men are in the system (carlo, Lauzon, Gryz, etc etc, not even including Mcavoy), but overall team 'toughness' (forwards and d-men) are severely lacking.
What's easier to pick up via free agency? Toughness or skill?

K. Miller and McQuaid are bottom pair guys (or should be on a good team).

Their skillsets should be easier/cheaper to replace should they be picked up.

Giving up C. Miller for nothing is terrible asset management. Whether you like him or not. If you aren't protecting him, he better be used as a trading chip.

Also, if McQuaid or Kevan Miller are in our top 4 again next season, then well, good luck to them. I just don't think either of them belong there.

Old
04-27-2017, 03:57 PM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
True Grit

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
not necessarily an expansion question but if the B`s or anyone wanted to, could a trade be made right now?
Yes.

Theres nothing stopping trades between any teams. It just that players cant play in this post season.

Old
04-27-2017, 04:01 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
Yes.

Theres nothing stopping trades between any teams. It just that players cant play in this post season.
ok thx, so my next question is Wally, why is Spooner still a Bruin?

Old
04-27-2017, 04:01 PM
Tampbear

Quote:
Yes.

I will add it's frowned upon to make a big trade while the playoffs are going on. The league doesn't want anything to take attention from the playoffs.

Old
04-27-2017, 04:09 PM
talkinaway

vCash: 50
Here's another question - is there a specific rule in place to keep two teams - one with a D slot open and one with an F slot open - from colluding and playing switcheroo on Vegas to protect everyone?

Let's say we want to protect and keep both Millers, but only have room for one. Let's say another team wants to protect two forwards - we'll call them Ovi and Backstrom only for the sake of convenience - but they only have room to protect one.

We trade Kevan Miller for Backstrom today. We protect Colin Miller and Backstrom. The other team protects Kevan Miller and Ovi. Vegas makes their choices - none of which include those four players. Then, a few weeks later, we trade back Backstrom for Kevan Miller. We keep our Millers intact, and the other team keeps its Fs intact.

Old
04-27-2017, 04:17 PM
Tampbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkinaway View Post
Here's another question - is there a specific rule in place to keep two teams - one with a D slot open and one with an F slot open - from colluding and playing switcheroo on Vegas to protect everyone?

Let's say we want to protect and keep both Millers, but only have room for one. Let's say another team wants to protect two forwards - we'll call them Ovi and Backstrom only for the sake of convenience - but they only have room to protect one.

We trade Kevan Miller for Backstrom today. We protect Colin Miller and Backstrom. The other team protects Kevan Miller and Ovi. Vegas makes their choices - none of which include those four players. Then, a few weeks later, we trade back Backstrom for Kevan Miller. We keep our Millers intact, and the other team keeps its Fs intact.
I would rather just make a trade to get the forward we need, we currently have 7 guys that can play in the top 6. I would be alright trading one for a forward that would help the team, letting one guy get drafted and then worrying about who the 6th D is going to be, whether we can fill it internally or through FA. We finally aren't in need of a top 4 D and it is way easier to find a solid 6th D. Maybe even O'gara.

Chara-Macavoy
Krug-Carlo
O'gara-Chiller/McQuaid

Plus whatever forward we can get for Killer, who I think made himself very valuable this last season. Hitting his prime, showing he can hold a top 4 spot down and play heavy minutes, all on an affordable contract for 3 more years.

For the record I really like Killer and have been fighting for him since last season, I always thought his contract looked good. But always trade from a position of strength when guys are at top value.

Old
04-27-2017, 04:21 PM
WhalerTurnedBruin55

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkinaway View Post

The league will come down on any teams that make deals like this. It's expansion draft circumvention, and Bettman wants none of that. They'll likely make an example of any teams that try to.

Old
04-27-2017, 06:10 PM
bb_fan

Quote:
What's easier to pick up via free agency? Toughness or skill?

K. Miller and McQuaid are bottom pair guys (or should be on a good team).

Their skillsets should be easier/cheaper to replace should they be picked up.

Giving up C. Miller for nothing is terrible asset management. Whether you like him or not. If you aren't protecting him, he better be used as a trading chip.

Also, if McQuaid or Kevan Miller are in our top 4 again next season, then well, good luck to them. I just don't think either of them belong there.
I don't think they belong in the top four either.

but when you lose a top four guy, they are going to end up filling in.

And I think finding tough team first guys that don't hurt you on the back end (bottom or not) aren't exactly a dime a dozen or cheap.

if you think C. Miller is all that and bag of potato chips, ok great.

I don't think so, and I think they have kids that could step in next year or the year after without taking to much of a step back.

hell, If you lose C. Miller, Morrow I thought looked a bit better in these playoffs. and I'm not a big Morrow fan at all.

Old
04-27-2017, 06:21 PM
4ORRBRUIN

Quote:

And I think finding tough team first guys that don't hurt you on the back end (bottom or not) aren't exactly a dime a dozen or cheap.

I don't think so, and I think they have kids that could step in next year or the year after without taking to much of a step back.

hell, If you lose C. Miller, Morrow I thought looked a bit better in these playoffs. and I'm not a big Morrow fan at all.
He should have been playing long before being forced to play due to the injuries in the playoffs. Hopefully he stays,I like Morrow a ton better than C Miller

Old
04-28-2017, 07:51 AM
Fenian24

Quote:

No they are not easy to find, McQuaid and K.Miller get way to much crap here from the fans who dislike aggressive hockey and rely on stats to evaluate players. Finding a third or fourth line forward who can hit, fight and not hurt the team 5 on 5 is also rare. I would take Cody McLeod, J.T.Miller, Cedric Paquette, Chris Stewart, Michael Ferland, Antoine Roussel or Kyle Clifford over any of the third line wingers the Bruins rolled out this season.

The Bruins are developing skill and speed with prospects like Senyshyn, DeBrusk, JFK, Bjork, etc, the only forward prospect they have with any real physical game is Jessie Gabrielle who is years away from being an NHL regular. They need some size and toughness badly to go with the skill and speed on the wings.

I have seen Blues fans speculating that Ryan Reeves may be unprotected, if so Sweeney should move a good prospect/pick for him immediately. Kyle Clifford has also been speculated, while concerned about his concussion history, I would also push hard for him if Reeves was off the table.

Old
04-28-2017, 08:49 AM
Pia8988

vCash: 595
Sweeney should absolutely not move a "good" prospect for a sub 8 minute forward. And of course Reaves will be unprotected. Vegas wont take a 30+ 4th liner.

Old
04-28-2017, 09:16 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia8988 View Post
Sweeney should absolutely not move a "good" prospect for a sub 8 minute forward. And of course Reaves will be unprotected. Vegas wont take a 30+ 4th liner.
disagree, there will likely be many young(er) players on their roster who they won`t want to see get pushed around and a guy like Reaves will help reduce that from happening each shift

I want no part of Reaves on the Bruins as I don`t like the absence of ability to chip in like I think the Acciari`s/Kuraly`s can/will do

I can see the B`s trading Spooner to them for some picks

Old
04-28-2017, 09:17 AM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
True Grit

Awards:
I'd like Reaves here.

But I'm an animal at heart.

Old
04-28-2017, 09:19 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
I'd like Reaves here.

But I'm an animal at heart.
you are, I don`t want him here, I don`t like his puck handling at all, love his physicality, enjoy the fisticuffs when he finds a dance partner but having watched the Blues more than usual this playoff year, he`s next to invisible in spite of not getting a ton of ice time and it`s this time of year where I really pay attention to players who "might" be on the radar for future consideration

Biggest issue I see is he can`t keep up with the ramped up pace of the playoffs

Old
04-28-2017, 09:26 AM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
True Grit

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
you are, I don`t want him here, I don`t like his puck handling at all, love his physicality, enjoy the fisticuffs when he finds a dance partner but having watched the Blues more than usual this playoff year, he`s next to invisible in spite of not getting a ton of ice time and it`s this time of year where I really pay attention to players who "might" be on the radar for future consideration

Biggest issue I see is he can`t keep up with the ramped up pace of the playoffs
Fully understand.
On the other side of the coin I see him fulfilling a Shawn Thornton type role.
He can pot a few a year. But moreso if we are going to go with a more youthful team I'd like a 'deterrent' available.
Also, at least in the playoffs, I haven't seen him take any dumb penalties. Which I view as a plus.

Old
04-28-2017, 09:35 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Fully understand.
On the other side of the coin I see him fulfilling a Shawn Thornton type role.
He can pot a few a year. But moreso if we are going to go with a more youthful team I'd like a 'deterrent' available.
Also, at least in the playoffs, I haven't seen him take any dumb penalties. Which I view as a plus.
I look at those contributions the B`s got from the likes of Kuraly/Acciari and I haven`t seen Reaves be remotely a factor in the offensive zone.

Against a D that isn`t as mobile, he can be very effective but that game one vs the Preds, he had a ton of hits, the problem? He took himself out of the play too often for the sake of making that hit

Don`t get me wrong, absolutely love the animal stuff but I just see a guy who doesn`t bring enough to the table when it counts most. One of those guys every team loves to have during the regular season but who`s presence is barely felt come playoff time

Closed Thread