HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

NY Mets, Rangers and Isles Owners Building New Arena for Islanders in Belmont?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-24-2017, 12:43 PM
  #1
islesmb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 204
vCash: 500
NY Mets, Rangers and Isles Owners Building New Arena for Islanders in Belmont?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-for-islanders

islesmb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 12:47 PM
  #2
Headshot77
Bad Photoshopper
 
Headshot77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Country: United States
Posts: 2,036
vCash: 455
^ That isn't a massive conflict of interest?

Headshot77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 12:53 PM
  #3
BorzNYI
Registered User
 
BorzNYI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshot77 View Post
^ That isn't a massive conflict of interest?
According to the Bloomberg article this is allowed #WhoKnew

BorzNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 12:54 PM
  #4
Macch
Registered User
 
Macch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,089
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshot77 View Post
^ That isn't a massive conflict of interest?
Read the article

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 12:54 PM
  #5
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 11,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshot77 View Post
^ That isn't a massive conflict of interest?
The NHL does permit the owner of one club to have a stake in another club's arena. But I imagine the context the league had in mind was two clubs sharing one arena.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 12:54 PM
  #6
Mightygoose
Registered User
 
Mightygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ajax, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshot77 View Post
^ That isn't a massive conflict of interest?
Apparently not.

Quote:
NHL rules permit the owner of one team to have a stake in another club’s arena.
AEG owns the Kings and partially owns T-Mobile in Las Vegas. Plus the Chargers will be leasing a stadium owned by the Rams in a couple of years time.

Mightygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 01:16 PM
  #7
nyscene
Registered User
 
nyscene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: PANIC!
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
Apparently not.



AEG owns the Kings and partially owns T-Mobile in Las Vegas. Plus the Chargers will be leasing a stadium owned by the Rams in a couple of years time.
Yup.

MSG also has sub-companies to keep its assets seperate. MSG sports owns the NYR/NYK, MSG Entertainment the concerts etc. MSG Entertainment would be the more likely to be involved here, since I imagine their interest here is in helping manage the arena and having a nice 1-2 punch to go against Barlcays/NVMC

nyscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 01:43 PM
  #8
Brodie
voted best
 
Brodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 15,553
vCash: 500
The involvement of the Wilpons suggests a Citi Field arena is a dead end. Belmont is the next best thing... whatever inroads in NYC the Isles will have made by the time this arena gets built will be preserved by staying on a direct LIRR line from the city while the Long Island fanbase will like being able to drive to games easily.

One of the Isles owners is hugely invested in luxury outlet malls on the outskirts of European cities. I wouldn't be surprised if he hoped to turn Elmont into such a destination for New Yorkers, especially if the MTA is going to increase service to the area as the article states.


Last edited by Brodie: 02-24-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 02:01 PM
  #9
tailgunner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 454
vCash: 500
none of this nonsense is going to happen
an arena in Belmont makes absolutely no sense and will never get built...how do you propose to fill 315 dates out of the calendar year?...this is just click bait stuff

tailgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 02:07 PM
  #10
nyscene
Registered User
 
nyscene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: PANIC!
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgunner View Post
none of this nonsense is going to happen
an arena in Belmont makes absolutely no sense and will never get built...how do you propose to fill 315 dates out of the calendar year?...this is just click bait stuff
It actually makes alot of sense if MSG is an investor. They get to now package MSG/New Arena to go against Barclays/NVMC. They can have shows that used to take up 3 nights at MSG, now take up 1 or 2 and another 2 at new place. Frees up dates for them, and puts Barclays/NVMC at a noted disadvantage when competing for high-profile shows.

Oak View Group also has the Arena Alliance, which does some negotiations for tours country wide. They can use that alliance to their power.

nyscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 02:19 PM
  #11
Brodie
voted best
 
Brodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 15,553
vCash: 500
Yeah, this would be a move to cut the NVMC off at it's knees. A Belmont arena operated by MSG would destroy it in terms of bookings and is in a much better location. The county benefits either way, so won't care.

You essentially end up with 5 venues in the area... Barclays and MSG competing for the biggest names, NVMC and Belmont competing for the second tier artists who can come in all year long and Prudential scooping up a little from column A and a little from column B.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 02:35 PM
  #12
Swarez
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorzNYI View Post
According to the Bloomberg article this is allowed #WhoKnew
Bell owns 40% of the leafs and 14% of the Habs.

Swarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 02:54 PM
  #13
BMOK33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 10,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Yeah, this would be a move to cut the NVMC off at it's knees. A Belmont arena operated by MSG would destroy it in terms of bookings and is in a much better location. The county benefits either way, so won't care.

You essentially end up with 5 venues in the area... Barclays and MSG competing for the biggest names, NVMC and Belmont competing for the second tier artists who can come in all year long and Prudential scooping up a little from column A and a little from column B.
Don't forget Jones Beach during the summer too and I want to say New Jersey has another arena for concerts although that's a bit south of the Devils arena by a half hour or so

BMOK33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 02:54 PM
  #14
tailgunner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 454
vCash: 500
nothing but a pipe dream...Barclays took 9 years to build...no way in hell this project every sees the light of day

tailgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 03:01 PM
  #15
nyscene
Registered User
 
nyscene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: PANIC!
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgunner View Post
nothing but a pipe dream...Barclays took 9 years to build...no way in hell this project every sees the light of day
You're talking apples and orangutans. Issue with Barclays was eminent domain lawsuits, and then financing during the crash. Belmont is state land with no approvals required.
Look how quickly Resorts World got built at Aqueduct.

nyscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 03:02 PM
  #16
BMOK33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 10,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyscene View Post
You're talking apples and orangutans. Issue with Barclays was eminent domain lawsuits, and then financing during the crash. Belmont is state land with no approvals required.
Look how quickly Resorts World got built at Aqueduct.
In addition I can guarantee you no nearby neighborhoods by Belmont will contest this either. It's just the nature of most of the demopgrahics in that area, it's largely low income neighborhoods now with the exception of Floral Park

BMOK33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 03:03 PM
  #17
nyscene
Registered User
 
nyscene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: PANIC!
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOK33 View Post
In addition I can guarantee you no nearby neighborhoods by Belmont will contest this either. It's just the nature of most of the demopgrahics in that area, it's largely low income neighborhoods now with the exception of Floral Park
They'll complain but have no power to stop by it.

I don't think it's as advanced as some are hoping, but it's certainly feasible and what I've been saythinking JT for months is the most likely solution.

nyscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 03:05 PM
  #18
BMOK33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 10,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyscene View Post
They'll complain but have no power to stop by it.

I don't think it's as advanced as some are hoping, but it's certainly feasible and what I've been saythinking JT for months is the most likely solution.
They'll end up having to play somewhere for sure in between if it does happen. I don't see NVMC happening so it may be NJ or MSG as crazy as that sounds

BMOK33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 03:16 PM
  #19
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOK33 View Post
They'll end up having to play somewhere for sure in between if it does happen. I don't see NVMC happening so it may be NJ or MSG as crazy as that sounds
MSG would be impossible. How can you have 3 sports teams plus all of the events that MSG has?

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 03:17 PM
  #20
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian
 
Fenway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston-Cambridge MA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,048
vCash: 3083333
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyscene View Post
You're talking apples and orangutans. Issue with Barclays was eminent domain lawsuits, and then financing during the crash. Belmont is state land with no approvals required.

Look how quickly Resorts World got built at Aqueduct.
You get the NYRA involved in this it will be done quickly.

Keep in mind - Dolan has that headache with the lease at Penn Station. That should get resolved in his favor but if it doesn't this arena can be an emergency backup for the Rangers and Knicks.

Fenway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 03:22 PM
  #21
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 66,690
vCash: 500
Yeah, the MSG venue potential replacement might be the real thing. Islanders might be there first, but it would have the potential for a new home venue for the Rangers and Knicks when they have to vacate MSG (in what, like 8 years?).

(Were mentioning it on SXM today when the news came through)


And having MSG in control would allow coordination of concerts between this venue and MSG, etc.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 03:23 PM
  #22
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies
 
powerstuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Town NHL hates !
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,083
vCash: 500
Unless something changed, NHL does allow one same owner to own two teams but none of those ownerships is allowed to be 50% or greater.

So, you cannot be the majority owner of more than one team (in the same league). You also cannot be majority owner of one team and minority owner of team #2.

As it is shown with Bell, they can own up to 49% of Leafs and up to 49% of Habs as long as they are not the majority owner of either of the entities.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 03:27 PM
  #23
Mightygoose
Registered User
 
Mightygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ajax, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
Unless something changed, NHL does allow one same owner to own two teams but none of those ownerships is allowed to be 50% or greater.

So, you cannot be the majority owner of more than one team (in the same league). You also cannot be majority owner of one team and minority owner of team #2.

As it is shown with Bell, they can own up to 49% of Leafs and up to 49% of Habs as long as they are not the majority owner of either of the entities.
Perhaps I missed it, but don't see where MSG would become part owners of the Islanders, they're just investing in the arena. I do wonder if it will be co-owned by both if it's meant to be the MSG replacement as well if they have to vacate.

This plan would also keep the TV deal intact without the risk of the Isles moving out of the market so lots of incentives for MSG to get involved.

Mightygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 03:29 PM
  #24
BMOK33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 10,411
vCash: 500
What is the deal with the MSG vacating? I vaguely remember reading about this 3-4 years ago

BMOK33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 03:33 PM
  #25
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 66,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOK33 View Post
What is the deal with the MSG vacating? I vaguely remember reading about this 3-4 years ago
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1368957

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:48 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.