HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

UPDATE 4/12 - Barclays Center pitch would return Islanders to Nassau Coliseum

Old
05-25-2017, 05:15 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Trailer-able. Unsinkable. Flys like a rocket. Great re-sale value. Plus, hey... "Boston".

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2017, 05:20 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
... thats cool... your perspective varies from mine.... one thing we might be able to agree on though.... Boston Whaler does make a fine fine product huh?
true, but remember that the Nets are the operators now of NCMVA by NYCB and there will be a team on the Island, the Long Island Nets, owned by Brooklyn, of the renamed NBA G-League.

CHRDANHUTCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2017, 06:02 PM
Brodie
voted best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve55 View Post
But Belmont had an RFP that dragged out for 4 years

Nobody who bid at that RFP (a second tier soccer team?) had the clout of the Islanders. Plain and simple. If this is going to happen, it is going to happen fast. Plus the Yankees/Man City are also interested for their MLS team. This **** doesn't drag on when there are real interested parties with real proposals.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2017, 06:09 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
true, but remember that the Nets are the operators now of NCMVA by NYCB and there will be a team on the Island, the Long Island Nets, owned by Brooklyn, of the renamed NBA G-League.
It's not the Islanders, it's not the NHL, it aint hockey. So whats your point?.... Give them BACK their team HUTCH. Problem?

Old
05-25-2017, 06:12 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
It's not the Islanders, it's not the NHL, it aint hockey. So whats your point?.... Give them BACK their team HUTCH. Problem?
so who's fault does that lie, with, K,? NASSAU and Suffolk Counties, no one else.......

Old
05-25-2017, 06:20 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
so who's fault does that lie, with, K,? NASSAU and Suffolk Counties, no one else.......
Counties noted for their dysfunction.... Wang noted for being an off-beat Dictatorial Megalomaniac... Pot meet kettle. Takes two to Tango. Oil & Water. As much as I despise the officious twits at County level I hold an even lower subterranean level of contempt for Charles B. Wang HUTCH.... even lower than Gary Bettman & Jeremy Jacobs.... that that man even lives on the same peninsula as Billy Joel I find really disturbing.

Old
05-25-2017, 06:29 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

... see... I like me some Billy... Piano Man.... you?

Old
05-26-2017, 04:02 AM
Steve55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Nobody who bid at that RFP (a second tier soccer team?) had the clout of the Islanders. Plain and simple. If this is going to happen, it is going to happen fast. Plus the Yankees/Man City are also interested for their MLS team. This **** doesn't drag on when there are real interested parties with real proposals.
I agree that none of the applicants had the clout of the Islanders in Round 1. But I am not sure if NYS wants the Isles at Belmont, since NYS is taking their sweet time despite it's been more than 2 weeks Barclays triggered the opt out.

While several Nassau County media people set the narrative Belmont is an easier process than Citi Field/ Willets Point, here's what has happened so far:

While NYS was dragging through Belmont RFP Round 1, NYC started to evict and raze businesses in Willets Point in 2016.

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...opment-project

By Katie Honan | July 26, 2016 1:51pm | Updated on July 26, 2016 2:25pm

"Demolition work began last week on a section of Willets Point, the first sign of progress on a multi-billion dollar overhaul from the city and private developers.

The strip of closed auto body shops along 126th Street between 38th and Roosevelt avenues was completely demolished by Tuesday morning by Tully Construction, the project's general contractor..."

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/b...ate-1.12731220

Updated December 9, 2016 7:41 PM
By Robert Brodsky and Jim Baumbach

The state’s economic development agency has scrapped proposals to redevelop Belmont Park, including one for a 25,000-seat soccer stadium for the New York Cosmos, rebooting the long-delayed process after four years of inaction...

A few months later, it seemed Isles were ready and willing to participate in Belmont RFP http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ays-1.13504161

"Updated April 21, 2017 4:06 PM
By Mike Rose, Jim Baumbach and Robert Brodsky

“Yes, there is an RFP [request for proposal] for Belmont and I know they are going to participate in that,” Bettman said of the Islanders. “I believe that everyone thinks there is a terrific opportunity there, if not at Willets Point, to create a more hockey friendly environment for the Islanders, which is something [Islanders co-owner] Scott [Malkin] is committed to do.”...

4 days later http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.3101161

"At least four judges on the six-judge panel of the Court of Appeals appeared skeptical of arguments by the city, state and developer, Queens Development Group, that the mall could be built on a parking lot designated as parkland.

“The primary purpose of this activity is a private purpose: to lease space and set up a shopping mall so people will spend money in the context of going to a sports event,” Justice Eugene Fahey said Tuesday. “Aren’t we required . . . that this particular development be approved by the Legislature?”"

http://projects.newsday.com/the-poin...at-comes-next/

What comes next?
Friday, May 19th, 2017

Talking Point
Tick, tick, tick

"It’s been six months since the original RFP was canceled, and one month since NHL commissioner Gary Bettman confirmed the New York Islanders’ interest in bidding on it for a new arena at the state-owned site. Now, potential participants in the RFP, including the Islanders, may be getting antsy.

“This is a team that needs a home. There is a timeline, and there is a sense of urgency here,” our source told The Point..."

Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2017, 07:28 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
Been to a NFL game lately? The video board is a huge part of the gameday experience. Fans today WANT replay, highlights of other games and it is a challenge to get fans to leave their big-screen TV and go to the game.

Same applies to hockey.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/l...nap-story.html
Yes, been to many. I have Giants Season tickets. Personally, I find the bells and whistles to be annoying.

But, one game in September will dictate the next 3 years? Their first game? gotchya.

Yes, Carson is a nice little stadium. The key is little. Only 30K seats, all "lower level". Did the Chargers move their just to take advantage of the next 3 years?

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2017, 04:33 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Yes, been to many. I have Giants Season tickets. Personally, I find the bells and whistles to be annoying.

But, one game in September will dictate the next 3 years? Their first game? gotchya.

Yes, Carson is a nice little stadium. The key is little. Only 30K seats, all "lower level". Did the Chargers move their just to take advantage of the next 3 years?
They had a 12 month window to move to LA otherwise the option to move would have reverted to the Raiders. They wound up with Carson because the Rose Bowl didn't want an NFL team and the Coliseum was only allowed one team per the agreement between USC and the State when USC took over the Coliseum.

Also they don't have enough of a fan base in LA for a big stadium yet. They will try and build a core base in the smaller stadium and hopefully for their sake be contenders when they move to the big stadium.

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2017, 06:50 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
They had a 12 month window to move to LA otherwise the option to move would have reverted to the Raiders. They wound up with Carson because the Rose Bowl didn't want an NFL team and the Coliseum was only allowed one team per the agreement between USC and the State when USC took over the Coliseum.

Also they don't have enough of a fan base in LA for a big stadium yet. They will try and build a core base in the smaller stadium and hopefully for their sake be contenders when they move to the big stadium.
I'm well aware of the parameters of the decision to move. That wasn't my point about the next 3 years. Any appearance of higher demand for Chargers tickets will be a mirage. The limited supply and the fact that they are all lower level seats will be the reason for a higher equilibrium price. I'd also be willing to bet that if they had their choice, the Chargers (and the NFL) would much rather play in either the Rose Bowl or Coliseum for the next 3 years.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2017, 08:15 PM
5 Minute Major

vCash: 374
I just wish they'd move back to Uniondale where they belong.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2017, 08:29 PM
BigKing
Too Funky

I still have $100 on deposit with the Chargers for season seats. I was only going to do it if the "cheap" $70 a game tickets were available and only for the purpose of selling on the secondary market.

The demand is a mirage. Hope for them is that they start making some noise in the win column prior to moving to Inglewood. They also want the Rams to continue to not only suck but also be the worst watch in the entire NFL.

BigKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2017, 03:32 PM
Steve55

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/06/n...citifield.html

" The New York State Court of Appeals on Tuesday issued a ruling that may deal a fatal blow to a nearly two-decade old plan to turn a run-down area of Queens into a supermall, hotel and, eventually, housing.

The plan, known as Willets West, required taking a parcel of parkland that is being used as a parking lot for the CitiField baseball stadium. In their decision, the appellate judges said that was not allowed by state law.

“ The text of the statute and its legislative history flatly refute the proposition that the Legislature granted the city the authority to construct a development such as Willets West in Flushing Meadows Park,” Judge Rowan Wilson wrote...

Two giant private real estate developers, Related Companies and Sterling Equities, as well as the owners of the New York Mets, were behind the project...

The decision does allow a window of possibility for the project: The state could pass legislation to permit building on the parkland. Mr. Spokony said the development group was considering its options on all fronts. “We are in the process of evaluating our next steps,” he said...

“Our priorities remain the same: jump-starting the affordable housing, schools, libraries, retail and open space this community was promised,” Melissa Grace, a spokeswoman for Mr. de Blasio, said in an email. “This ruling does not alter the city’s ability to move ahead with a dynamic mixed-use project on Willets East. We’ll determine the best path forward with stakeholders in the coming weeks.”
"

Old
06-07-2017, 11:49 PM
LordNeverLose

Why do I keep seeing people (or I guess just one person?) say" NCMVA"???

I have never before seen that abbreviation. It's the NVMC.

LordNeverLose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2017, 09:09 AM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordNeverLose View Post
Why do I keep seeing people (or I guess just one person?) say" NCMVA"???

I have never before seen that abbreviation. It's the NVMC.
it's actually now NYCB Live presents the Nassau County Veterans Memorial Coliseum, due to sponsorship quirks, the County must be mentioned.

Last edited by CHRDANHUTCH; 06-08-2017 at 10:24 AM..
Old
06-09-2017, 10:19 AM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
Is this the right thread for this?

Aavco Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 02:15 PM
Steve55