HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

NY Mets, Rangers and Isles Owners Building New Arena for Islanders in Belmont?

Old
03-03-2017, 01:37 PM
Steve55

vCash: 500
It seems the agreement between NYS governor Andrew Cuomo with NYRA in reprivatization has to go through NYS Legislature, another wrench at the Islanders possibly moving to Belmont.

https://twitter.com/Gear316/status/837602694269280256

How would NYS Legislature factor in reprivatization of NYRA ? (Me)

https://twitter.com/randimarshall/st...37447571894279

has to be approved as part of the state budget.

Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2017, 03:57 PM
tailgunner

keep dreaming...this will never happen

tailgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2017, 02:43 PM
Steve55

https://www.sportstalkflorida.com/un...powers-behind/

By Evan Weiner - March 5, 2017

Where will the National Hockey League’s New York Islanders franchise be calling home in 2020? Brooklyn? Queens? Or Belmont racetrack near the Queens-Nassau County border not far from the team’s old Nassau Coliseum home in Uniondale and the team’s present home in Brooklyn...

The new Islanders ownership is also kicking the tires in the parking lot of the Mets baseball stadium in Queens to see if an arena could be built there. This is the second time the area has been considered for an Islanders arena. Then there is Madison Square Garden in Manhattan. The Garden owners may have to look for a new locale if New York City elected officials decide to end the Garden’s air rights lease over Penn Station to build a new transportation terminal. If the Islanders ownership is looking for city money in Queens, it might be a difficult task. The Belmont racetrack area is owned by the state and an arena can go onto the property without local opposition if New York State likes the plan...
But is there an appetite for another building?

http://libn.com/2017/03/08/cantor-an...ith-potential/

March 8, 2017

Reports suggest that Belmont Park is the place and the big money is coming from none other than the Wilpon family – owners of the New York Mets, James Dolan – executive chairman of Madison Square Garden (MSG) and New York Islander owners Jonathan Ledecky and Scott Malkin.
Realistically a hockey arena at Belmont Park needs more revenue-generating activity to be financially viable. However, its location near the Long Island Rail Road and major highways provides the transportation infrastructure essential to attracting back the once rabid and loyal Islander fan base that have rejected the Barclays Center where the Islanders currently play, as evidenced by Barclays having the second lowest National Hockey League attendance...

MSG and the Rangers will now be the supreme hockey venue in New York City and a Belmont Park hockey arena complements the spring and summer thoroughbred racing season and the capability of the venue to attract prime performers and family oriented entertainment augments the goal of bringing more family oriented entertainment to Belmont Park.
The intrigue includes Gov. Cuomo. Gearing up for reelection next year, he would like nothing better than to say he brought the Islanders back to Nassau County, generated revenues for the New York Racing Association which operates Belmont Park and jobs for the Elmont community where Belmont Park is located....

Last edited by Steve55: 03-08-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old
03-14-2017, 03:16 PM
Steve55

http://queenstribune.com/groups-rall...dable-housing/

on: March 10, 2017In: Deadline, News, Top News

Several community groups gathered at Willets Point Tuesday to rally against redevelopment plans that they say do not guarantee enough affordable housing for the community...

The rally was a response to Mayor Bill de Blasio’s recently announced plan to build 90 new homeless shelters and cut the homeless shelter population by 2,500...

In 2008, under Mayor Michael Bloomberg, the city proposed plans for a 62-acre development with retail and 5,500 housing units— of which 1,925 units were designated for affordable housing. But Tuesday’s protestors, led by former Councilman Hiram Monserrate, who had rallied for the 2008 plan, said that the plans have changed and affordable housing is no longer guaranteed. They called on de Blasio and Councilwoman Julissa Ferreras (D-Elmhurst) to adhere to the original proposal...

According to the protestors, recent revisions to the original 2008 plan have caused consternation. In 2013, the City Council approved the revised plans, which included the controversial addition of a mega mall on the Citi Field parking lot—which was struck down by the courts and is marred in a legal battle since the parking lot is technically public parkland. The protestors reiterated their opposition to the mall, but also expressed frustration over a clause that could allow the developer—the Queens Development Group, a joint venture between Related and Sterling Equities, which is affiliated with the Mets—the opportunity to provide zero affordable housing.
“For a $35 million fee, the developer has to build zero housing. Zero. Not one unit,” said Monserrate. He also expressed frustration that no affordable housing would be built until 2025...

The protestors also slammed other proposals for the area—including Queens Borough President Melinda Katz’ recent suggestion that Willets Point could house a new sports stadium— arguing that affordable housing should be the priority...

Old
03-14-2017, 03:19 PM
Steve55

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...luence-at-nyra

By Tom Precious March 14, 2017 2:54 PM

Lawmakers, in separate, one-house budget plans unveiled late on March 13, reduce the number of positions Cuomo would get to fill on a new, privatized board of directors and, significantly, reject Cuomo's plan to give broad new powers to a state panel that already oversees NYRA's finances.

The proposals now will be the subject of negotiations between the Legislature and Cuomo as the sides rush to complete a state budget before the April 1 start of the new fiscal year.

If no deal is made, the NYRA question will be punted until the end of the legislative session in June when the issue will be resolved or, as seen the past two years, the current state's control will be extended for another year...

Old
03-17-2017, 05:42 AM
Steve55

http://poststar.com/blogs/all_politi...f8b84c4aa.html

Maury Thompson [email protected] Mar 15, 2017

State Assemlywoman Carrie Woerner, D-Round Lake, on Wednesday announced that the Assembly version of the state budget includes her proposal to return the New York Racing Association to private control.

“State control of NYRA was never meant to be a long-term solution,” Woerner said, in a press release. “It’s time that we return it to private control to protect New York’s valuable racing industry and ensure its continued success and ability.”

NYRA is a non-profit corporation that operates Saratoga Race Course in Saratoga Springs, Aqueduct Race Track in Queens, and Belmont Park on Long Island...

The Assembly and Senate passed separate versions of budget bills.

Joint budget committees, legislative leaders and Cuomo will now negotiate a final version of the budget that the Legislature will vote on.

Old
03-17-2017, 07:48 AM
MNNumbers

Steve and others,

Wild fan here in peace, but trying to understand the situation.

Please advise on whether returning to NYRA control is positive or negative with regards to a new arena being built there. I can't figure it out.

Thanks.

MNNumbers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 08:34 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNumbers View Post
Steve and others,

Wild fan here in peace, but trying to understand the situation.

Please advise on whether returning to NYRA control is positive or negative with regards to a new arena being built there. I can't figure it out.

Thanks.
I believe it is a good thing for the sake of an arena. Less red tape to get everything done than if it was state owned.

patnyrnyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 11:16 AM
MJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
I believe it is a good thing for the sake of an arena. Less red tape to get everything done than if it was state owned.
Only if the NYRA board (which in the past was made up largely of horsemen-trainers and owners like Ogden Phipps) feels that having a multi-use development of the Belmont Park land is in their best interest. It seems that Governor Cuomo does favor that kind of development. Might be better for the Isles if Cuomo does not cede control of the NYRA board of directors.

MJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 12:52 PM
Cacciaguida

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgunner View Post
keep dreaming...this will never happen
thanks for your large contribution.

I bet rags fans are just frothing at the idea of having a monopoly on the NY market.

Cacciaguida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 01:49 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacciaguida View Post

I bet rags fans are just frothing at the idea of having a monopoly on the NY market.
Rangers fans by and large want the Islanders to stay. No one wants to lose that rivalry.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 06:30 PM
tailgunner

this will never happen because of facts...the islanders can't draw in Nassau county so they left for Brooklyn...gee they cant draw in Brooklyn so let's see...lets spend $800 million dollars on an arena for a team that can't draw flies and on top of that let's build yet another arena in the NYC/NJ market that is completely saturated with new venues...how are you possibly going to fill 330 some what dates in a suburban arena? never gonna happen folks...isles are leaving town folks face it

tailgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 06:59 PM
VQ35
Rookie User

Quote:
this will never happen because of facts...the islanders can't draw in Nassau county so they left for Brooklyn...gee they cant draw in Brooklyn so let's see...lets spend $800 million dollars on an arena for a team that can't draw flies and on top of that let's build yet another arena in the NYC/NJ market that is completely saturated with new venues...how are you possibly going to fill 330 some what dates in a suburban arena? never gonna happen folks...isles are leaving town folks face it

What you're saying makes sense to me.

However; after watching the PHX/Arizona situation play out and drag on for as long as it has now without actually relocating yet, I couldn't see NYI moving away from the NY area when they have a storied franchise, superstar player, and are competing for a playoff spot.

The loss of NYI would hurt NJ, NYR, PIT, and PHI really bad too, I couldn't see any of them in support, or even being ok with NYI leaving the metro.

VQ35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 09:29 PM
Mightygoose

Kypreos on HNIC tonight says the Isles and Barclays are negotiating a short term lease and they won't be kicked out in 2 years.

I didn't think they could start talking until the season ended but guess if they're both OK with it, nothing to stop the parties from doing so.

Is this a bridge lease to get to the new arena? Is it just to satisfy the 'good faith' negotiation to justify one side breaking effective January 1' 2018?

Time will tell.

Mightygoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 09:31 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by VQ35 View Post
What you're saying makes sense to me.

However; after watching the PHX/Arizona situation play out and drag on for as long as it has now without actually relocating yet, I couldn't see NYI moving away from the NY area when they have a storied franchise, superstar player, and are competing for a playoff spot.

The loss of NYI would hurt NJ, NYR, PIT, and PHI really bad too, I couldn't see any of them in support, or even being ok with NYI leaving the metro.
Why would Pit or Philly care? Sure for NJ and NYR they lose a regional rival and would lose 3 games where they are only a bus trip as opposed to a plane ride away. I doubt the Isles leave but it wouldn't be a great loss, except to a small core of fans.

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 01:33 AM
Kane One

vCash: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacciaguida View Post

There won't be a monopoly. Unlike the Islanders, there are at least a respectable amount of Devils fans.

Glass from Girardi is practically a mathematical impossibility. I'm glad to have witnessed this great Rangers moment. -Bob Richards
I'd hate to know what the toilet facilities look like after a game with the way this team aims... -Megustaelhockey
Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 02:42 AM
dilbert719

Quote:
Originally Posted by VQ35 View Post
Depends on where they go. Quebec? Sure, that would suck for the four teams you mentioned. Hartford? The Rangers and Devils would be fine; Hartford would still be a credible rival. Certainly not as good as the Islanders, but not terrible. Philly and Pittsburgh would be mildly annoyed, but not so badly that it'd be a problem. (Boston, on the other hand, would likely be quite happy about it either way. Moreover, the Florida teams would be overjoyed, especially if this was paired with Carolina to Quebec. That would result in Quebec and Hartford to the Atlantic, and the Florida teams to the Metro, which is where they wanted to be all along.)

Last edited by dilbert719: 03-19-2017 at 02:48 AM.
dilbert719 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 11:55 AM
denis

Quote:
Focusing this on the Islanders and only the Islanders is the flaw in your logic. If Oak View and Azoff MSG are backing the plan, they see a way for this to be profitable. Don't forget, that would put the new arena into a partnership with some 28 other arenas around the country for bookings, promotions and more -- and make it a partner with both the Garden and the Rock (both of which are part of the same group). These guys don't fear competition as they are building an entertainment-oriented 17,000 seat arena in Las Vegas that will compete with the Golden Knight's arena for bookings. If anything, this will nearly kill the NVMC and put a serious bite into the side of the Barc if it gets built.

denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 05:23 PM
aqib

Just curious. Do most Islander fans work in the city or out on LI? I briefly lived in LI and I found it impossible to get to a 7PM puck drop from Manhattan. I figured Brooklyn would be better but apparently it hasn't worked out.

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 05:58 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
I disagree with you here. They can draw in Nassau County, but that is not so much the issue. The issue is the arena lacks the amenities of new arenas, and that is what they need. They were in a terrible lease, and the County would not budge on their demands.

Old
03-20-2017, 06:02 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
Just curious. Do most Islander fans work in the city or out on LI? I briefly lived in LI and I found it impossible to get to a 7PM puck drop from Manhattan. I figured Brooklyn would be better but apparently it hasn't worked out.
I thought the same thing. I lived in North Bellmore and Wantagh for almost 20 years. Went to school in North Bellmore. My friends who were Isles fans and lived in the city had the same issue. By the time they got to Penn Station, they were taking trains that left close to 6:00. About 45 minutes to get back to Bellmore, No chance can you be in your seat for 7. And, that was if they left at 5. I figured people in this situation, can take the train after work to Brooklyn and then the train home to any town not on the Pt Washington line.

Old
03-20-2017, 08:53 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Was visiting NY a few years ago, following my team with the NYC-centric road games. (mid-October)

Planned on taking LIRR train from Penn Station that would get me to arena an hour before the game. Train cancelled. Ended up barely making it for puck drop.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 09:27 AM
Brodie
voted best

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis View Post
Focusing this on the Islanders and only the Islanders is the flaw in your logic. If Oak View and Azoff MSG are backing the plan, they see a way for this to be profitable. Don't forget, that would put the new arena into a partnership with some 28 other arenas around the country for bookings, promotions and more -- and make it a partner with both the Garden and the Rock (both of which are part of the same group). These guys don't fear competition as they are building an entertainment-oriented 17,000 seat arena in Las Vegas that will compete with the Golden Knight's arena for bookings. If anything, this will nearly kill the NVMC and put a serious bite into the side of the Barc if it gets built.
This is the important consideration. The Islanders are essentially going to be a loss leader for MSG in a war with Barclays over second tier concerts on LI... the Islanders guarantee roughly 41 nights a year that a Belmont Arena would be full and the NVMC won't be. That's the appeal of the arena. Then the Islanders owners can launch a redevelopment of the surrounding area using the Islanders presence to call for things like regular LIRR service that will serve their interest... remember that one of them made his fortune by building luxury outlet malls on the outskirts of London and Paris and Rome. Belmont would allow him to do the same on the outskirts of NYC, a short LIRR ride away from the city to a Dior outlet store would be a boon to tourists and city-dwellers alike.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:38 AM
Bones45
Prince is a Redneck

Quote:
this will never happen because of facts...the islanders can't draw in Nassau county so they left for Brooklyn...gee they cant draw in Brooklyn so let's see...lets spend $800 million dollars on an arena for a team that can't draw flies and on top of that let's build yet another arena in the NYC/NJ market that is completely saturated with new venues...how are you possibly going to fill 330 some what dates in a suburban arena?
I agree with you here --

I really don't see how you can have a team which proves it can't bring in fans from now two different locations, now have owners which are going to foot the bill for a brand spankin new arena?

And then you are competing with Nassau Coliseum, Barclays, MSG, Prudential in NJ and a dozen or so other venues for concerts at the like to fill up the rest of the open dates?

I dont get it. My thought is to "fix" Barclays to make it at least tolerable, or modify the Coliseum (physically and financially) so the everyone can be in the black.

Just no point or reason to have another arena.

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 12:09 PM
Steve55

NYS Voting on budget Re NYRA Privatization

Maury Thompson <[email protected]>

Mon 2017-03-20 9:11 AM

The deadline to adopt a new state budget is March 31, which usually is when the Legislature votes on it. But there is nothing to prevent them from adopting it early. And some years the L:egislature has passed a bill to extend the current year’s budget temporarily while negotiations continue on a new one. -- Maury

Sent: Monday, March 20, 2017 3:59 AM
To: Maury Thompson
Subject: NYRA Privatization

Dear Maury Thompson:

I am very interested in NYRA privatization process, as I am a fan of the New York Islanders and there have been numerous reports that the team is looking at the Belmont race track, which is run by NYRA.

But I heard another round of Request for Proposals must take place at Belmont and NYRA privatization must occur first.

So my question is, when will NYS Legislature vote on a final version of the NYS budget that includes NYRA privatization? I understand the deadline for the 2017 fiscal year budget is March 31, yet NYS Legislative session ends in June.

I look forward to hear back from you.

Last edited by Steve55: 03-20-2017 at 12:18 PM.