Notices

What's next for Jets Goaltending?

Old
02-24-2017, 05:58 PM
matthole
Rookie User

vCash: 500
What's next for Jets Goaltending?

Since the beginning of the Winnipeg Jets(2.0) we have had one problem that sometimes sinks its head and hides but always seems to just keep coming back. We have Horrific Goaltending.

Here's the current options:

Let Helebuyck keep growing as a starter, Divide Time between all 3 Jets goalies(when Pav returns), Give Comrie a shot, let Comrie grow another year in the AHL, Trade, draft the heck out of Goaltenders in the next few drafts.

Here are our 2 best options on the Trade Block, if you think Jets want them let me know who they should trade for them.

• Marc Andre Fluery( 32Yrs, 6'2", 180Ibs, 3.16 GPG, 0.906 SP, 15 W's, 7 L's)
• Ben Bishop( 30Yrs, 6'7", 216Ibs' 2.55 GPG, 0.911 SP, 16 W's, 12 L's)

Who would you pick if any at all, Here are some of the top Goalie prospects for this years draft:

• Jake Oettiner( Projected: Late 1st - Early 2nd Round Pick)
•Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen( Projected: Early 2nd - Mid 2nd Round Pick)
• Keith Petruzzelli( Projected: Early 2nd - Late 2nd Round Pick)
• Stuart Skinner( Projected: Early 2nd - Late 2nd Round Pick)
• Mike Dipietro( Projected: Mid 2nd - Early 3rd Round Pick)
• Ian Scott( Projected: Late 2nd - Late 3rd Round Pick)

Sorry if you think this Thread is trash but I wanna see what other Winnipegers think on our options

matthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 06:11 PM
10Ducky10

I am assuming you mean for the rest of the season...

If Helle sits for a game, play Pavs not Hutch. I don't want to see Hutch backing up. If we are eliminated from the playoffs, take a good 4 or 5 game look at Comrie.

In the off-season we need to pick up a goalie to push Helle.......someone like a Greiss.

10Ducky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 06:14 PM
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

vCash: 50
Awards:
Welcome new guy!

There's no realistic way the Jets are trading for Bishop or Fleury. Best case scenario is that we somehow win the Bishop sweepstakes this summer, but even that's a bit of a pipe dream. I think the more realistic scenario is signing someone like Neuvirth or Elliott this offseason to a one or two year deal.

Goalie prospects are a dice roll, and I don't know much about any of the guys this year beyond Oettinger.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 06:23 PM
jetsforever

I think we should (as said above) sign a decent vet to a short contract for next season and run Helle/vet. Then later that season or the next hopefully Helle/Comrie could work.
If Helle doesn't work out, then maybe try for Bishop or trade.

jetsforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 06:26 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
WPG PO Wins: 0

vCash: 949
We can't make a move for a big ticket goalie until the expansion draft.

Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 06:41 PM
surixon

I would not do anything until after the expansion draft. I'd try to bring in a 1B with experience to help Helle along.

Comrie gets another year or two in the AHL.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 06:56 PM
VictoriaJetsFan

Comrie should certainly stay in the AHL.

Helle is improving slowly...I would like to let him develop.

With need another young goalie at Helle's level ( I like Grubauer for example) or a vet on a one or two year deal..a James Reimer type...

VictoriaJetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 07:22 PM
Ducky10
Playoff Enthusiast

No way they run a Helle/Comrie combo and repeat this season's mistake. I can't see them going all in on Bishop or Mason. I think they need to look at a complimentary veteran piece to Helle, a Neuvirth, Elliot, even Bernier, just to keep him steady and somewhat challenged.

I anticipate a better year from Helle next season, but they can't go in without a parachute.

Ducky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 07:37 PM
uTurris
We the True North

I think if any goalie we should pick up it should be Jaroslav Halak. Has time left on his contract so it'll be easy to expose him in the expansion draft; not to mention that we could showcase him lots where he'd end up being more likely to be claimed than any of our current guys, and would be a great next to Hellebuyck.

I think Hutchinson for Halak could easily get done, unless other teams make even more solid offers.

I could see the Jets drafting Stuart Skinner at this years draft. Saw him play, looked like he has potential to be a starting goaltender. But I also do see potential in Jamie Phillips.

Last edited by uTurris: 02-24-2017 at 07:43 PM.
uTurris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 10:08 PM
KillEmAll83

Petruzzelli just scored a goal...so...he wins

These violent delights... have violent ends
KillEmAll83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 10:16 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1517
As others have mentioned nothing likely happens until after the XD. In the off season there are a couple of interesting possibilities. IMO a Darling - Helly tandem sounds pretty good.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 10:17 PM
Crocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthole View Post
Since the beginning of the Winnipeg Jets(2.0) we have had one problem that sometimes sinks its head and hides but always seems to just keep coming back. We have Horrific Goaltending.

Here's the current options:

Let Helebuyck keep growing as a starter, Divide Time between all 3 Jets goalies(when Pav returns), Give Comrie a shot, let Comrie grow another year in the AHL, Trade, draft the heck out of Goaltenders in the next few drafts.

Here are our 2 best options on the Trade Block, if you think Jets want them let me know who they should trade for them.

• Marc Andre Fluery( 32Yrs, 6'2", 180Ibs, 3.16 GPG, 0.906 SP, 15 W's, 7 L's)
• Ben Bishop( 30Yrs, 6'7", 216Ibs' 2.55 GPG, 0.911 SP, 16 W's, 12 L's)

Who would you pick if any at all, Here are some of the top Goalie prospects for this years draft:

• Jake Oettiner( Projected: Late 1st - Early 2nd Round Pick)
•Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen( Projected: Early 2nd - Mid 2nd Round Pick)
• Keith Petruzzelli( Projected: Early 2nd - Late 2nd Round Pick)
• Stuart Skinner( Projected: Early 2nd - Late 2nd Round Pick)
• Mike Dipietro( Projected: Mid 2nd - Early 3rd Round Pick)
• Ian Scott( Projected: Late 2nd - Late 3rd Round Pick)

Sorry if you think this Thread is trash but I wanna see what other Winnipegers think on our options
Marc Andre is not available apparently. Halak is and worth gambling on. He has stellar numbers. He's 13-2-2 in Bridgeport. World Cup he was stellar. Playoff numbers are elite. Should've claimed off waivers, it was obvious goaltending was an issue early.

Crocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 10:31 PM
JetBlue420

In order to fix goaltending you need to fix the D and the teams entire D zone structure. I think if you fix that... the goaltending improves

JetBlue420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 10:37 PM
buggs
nanoo nanoo

vCash: 162
Agree with most of the others here.

Nothing until post XD at the earliest, lest we expose Helle. He's had his warts and flaws this year but he's young for a goalie and still learning. Way too early to give up on him just yet. We'll know once we have some solid numbers and the team in front of him isn't playing like crap half (or more) of the time.

Post XD sign a vet to be 1A/1B and compete with Helle for the starting spot. Don't throw a ton of cash at him, ballpark $3x3 IMO. Halak? Maybe, probably others as well as mentioned by others. Those three years are Helle's remaining window to win the job, possibly just two because he's surely going to be bridged on a "show me" contract. If he isn't getting it done then Comrie is brought in.

Let Comrie slow-cook in the A. We brought Helle up relatively quickly and got some bumps on the ride. Invest in some teammates for Comrie at the same time though so he's not hung out to dry most games. He doesn't come up until we know who are defined starter is. Once that happens you bring in Berdin to backstop the Moose.

Let Pavelec go at season's end. Even cheap I don't want him back.

Assuming Hutch isn't taken (why would he be?) then he can play his final year backing up Comrie with the Moose after we obtain someone else.

buggs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 10:42 PM
Crocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlue420 View Post
In order to fix goaltending you need to fix the D and the teams entire D zone structure. I think if you fix that... the goaltending improves
This is true. We need to build around Jmo and Trouba, keep Buff, need 3 more D then. Myers scares me with all the surgeries.

Crocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 11:45 PM
Gm0ney
Unicorns salient

Here's a chart you may find handy:

Gm0ney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2017, 12:40 AM
Scheifele55

Quote:
I think the same thing when I start threads here so don't worry =D

Scheifele55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2017, 01:23 AM
Ceccles

Assuming Chicago doesn't have enough salary to sign Scott darling, another option besides bishop and fleury would be to sign darling in FA.

Ceccles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2017, 03:54 PM
Eyeseeing

If we do get an established vet or good prospect and they flounder can we finally admit Flaherty has to go ?

Eyeseeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2017, 12:33 AM
Mrbabs
Rookie User

Obviously Helle should be a backup and grow into a bigger role slowly, but yea, goaltending will make a big difference for the Jets once there is an established starter

Mrbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2017, 11:06 AM
Channelcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Welcome new guy!

There's no realistic way the Jets are trading for Bishop or Fleury. Best case scenario is that we somehow win the Bishop sweepstakes this summer, but even that's a bit of a pipe dream. I think the more realistic scenario is signing someone like Neuvirth or Elliott this offseason to a one or two year deal.

Goalie prospects are a dice roll, and I don't know much about any of the guys this year beyond Oettinger.
Veteran goaltenders are just as much of a dice roll. I agree with the idea of signing a vet to a one year deal though. Sadly, players with something to prove, or playing for a contract just tend to play better.

Channelcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2017, 02:03 PM
10Ducky10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocket View Post
Marc Andre is not available apparently. Halak is and worth gambling on. He has stellar numbers. He's 13-2-2 in Bridgeport. World Cup he was stellar. Playoff numbers are elite. Should've claimed off waivers, it was obvious goaltending was an issue early.
I think Halak makes the most sense....get the Isles to retain 30% and trade Hutch for him.

10Ducky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2017, 02:33 PM
CaptainChef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocket View Post
Yep, more asleep at the wheel from Chevy there -- should of definitely claimed Halak on waivers rather than calling up Pavs. Lifetime .916 save% in NHL and >.914 four of last 5 years. This year's .904 was a blip.

CaptainChef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2017, 03:02 PM
Flair Hay

I thought earlier this year Bishop would be an awesome fit if we paid him good money on a 3 year deal. Maybe 4 if it was a deal breaker. Around $6M.

Seemed like more posters than not thought this was unrealistic. Can't say I blame them, but I'm not so sure. Market for goalies is softer than ever. Bishop is around 30 so I can't see any team wanting to sign him 5 or more years. I think if a team is looking for a young guy to take over (Andersen, Talbot, Jones types) they won't look much at Bishop either.

I think if we brought in Bishop we wouldn't need to start him more than 50 or 55 games. I think we'd get more out of Hellebuyck with less pressure. And if Hellebuyck outplayed him for a starting job, he will have truly earned it. Promise Bishop the starters role and tell Hellebuyck he has to earn it away.

Can't see Dallas going after ANOTHER expensive vet but I could be wrong?

Goaltending should be the easiest position to fix, but it's more mental than the other positions and the most important position on the ice each game. Having two good goalies competing for ice time instead of one good goalie trying not to **** it up and lose time to a worse goalie has worked out poorly this year.

If we get outbid and have to go for more of the same old same old? So be it. I say throw some money at it and get this team in the playoffs next year.

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2017, 03:23 PM
TheGovernment

I still say Halak is a great option. Bishop won't sign here, we are going to have to trade or sign a much lesser known goalie.
I'd love to have bishop but he's going to want 5-6 years for sure, his last contract, I don't want to be the team that ends up with him at 35 and injured all the time, like he is now.

TheGovernment is offline   Reply With Quote