Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

What's next for Jets Goaltending?

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2017, 11:07 PM
ffh

vCash: 50
Think I'm the only person who thinks howard is a possibility. I like the fact he only has 2 years left on contract also lots of experience with a solid sv%. It will be interesting to see who team usa goes with as a starter him or helle.

Old
04-14-2017, 07:01 AM
ps241
.915 please Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
Man I've been away from the boards and really need time to chime in. Will soon enough. But I liked parts of the interview. I agree with you tho that he's not right about 150 for helly. What's the difference between helly and all the goalies above? They all had a good starter when they came in, helly was thrust in starter role with an awful backup. That's on Chevy. Should've had a good vet to play with helly this year but as another poster said they had enough money tied up in pavs in minors most likely. Helly was ready. Comrie needs at least one more year maybe more imo. Will chime in more soon.
Yea I really think it was all about this. Helly was thrown to the wolves and that tuened out to be a flawed plan. I get the reasons behind it (XD and Pavs on his last year) but it turned out terribly and hopefully they didn't ruin a top prospect.

As I mentioned as long as Chevy does his job and brings in a proven NHL talent to join Helly in the net next season I am expecting a bounce back.

Old
04-14-2017, 09:07 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Yea I really think it was all about this. Helly was thrown to the wolves and that tuened out to be a flawed plan. I get the reasons behind it (XD and Pavs on his last year) but it turned out terribly and hopefully they didn't ruin a top prospect.

As I mentioned as long as Chevy does his job and brings in a proven NHL talent to join Helly in the net next season I am expecting a bounce back.
Agreed it was a flawed plan, but I think there is little chance of ruining a top prospect. It was not like Helly wasn't ready to play in the NHL and was shell shocked. Rather he proved to not yet be ready yet to carry the load of a starter and maintain the necessary save %. There is a good chance Helly never takes that next step and that makes it even more imperative to get a quality starter. If Helly ever proves to be a true starter he should have to push someone aside not be given the net.

Old
04-14-2017, 09:14 AM
JC Numminen
#goldrush

vCash: 172
With school this year I wasn't able to keep up with some of this stuff near as much as most years so forgive me..

Is Bishop generally thought of as the top FA goaltender this year? His numbers weren't outstanding this year, but he does have a pretty solid resume. I know I would certainly be extatic to have him.

04-14-2017, 09:25 AM
ps241
.915 please Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
Agreed it was a flawed plan, but I think there is little chance of ruining a top prospect. It was not like Helly wasn't ready to play in the NHL and was shell shocked. Rather he proved to not yet be ready yet to carry the load of a starter and maintain the necessary save %. There is a good chance Helly never takes that next step and that makes it even more imperative to get a quality starter. If Helly ever proves to be a true starter he should have to push someone aside not be given the net.
I 100% agree with this in the sense that I wouldn't give up on Helly but we need to acquire a goaltending solution for next season. If Helly crushes it next year that is a bonus let him fight for and earn starts. I have maintained that I believe Helly will bounce back but our plan needs to take into account his failure.

Old
04-17-2017, 08:18 PM
Puck Hawerchuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
I 100% agree with this in the sense that I wouldn't give up on Helly but we need to acquire a goaltending solution for next season. If Helly crushes it next year that is a bonus let him fight for and earn starts. I have maintained that I believe Helly will bounce back but our plan needs to take into account his failure.
Bang on! Helle will be the goalie he showed in College, the Moose, and the World Championships (where he was the best tournament goalie ahead of Rinne a few years ago).

I was living in Quebec about 7 years ago and the Montreal fans there thought they had a bust on their hands too. They felt it was a mistake handing the keys to the car to some guy named Carey Price after Halak had taken them so far in the playoffs. Patience worked out for them and it'll work out for us.

Perhaps the Jets can learn to take less penalties in the meantime to limit the PK fatigue that plagues our D-men (Buff, Enstrom) and thus the quality of chances would lower. Killing off those penalties would hurt either (which is torturing Hellebuyck's stats).

My two cents...

Old
04-18-2017, 07:13 AM
cbcwpg

Could just be a coincidence, but it appears that firing the goalie coach in St. Louis has done wonders.

Old
04-18-2017, 10:44 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Could just be a coincidence, but it appears that firing the goalie coach in St. Louis has done wonders.
Maybe. They also have one heck of a goalie coach!

Old
04-18-2017, 12:08 PM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Mike Yeo is getting a lot of credit for changing the way that the Blues play in their own zone and making it much easier for Allen, not a goalie coach change.

Though having a sure Hall of Famer as your goalie coach certainly doesn't hurt.

Old
04-23-2017, 01:51 PM
Evil Little

vCash: 1837
Interesting segment with Kevin Woodley last week on Hustler and Lawless, as 1290 commendably continue though their goaltending experts rolodex:

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/winnipeg-129...emory-1.724049

He does ask the shot quality question--though doesn't presume to have an answer--but also has some other interesting thoughts.

He's asked directly about Wade Flaherty and his initial reaction is that it's difficult to assess a goalie coach's performance because you need to know what they're working on and Hellebuyck doesn't talk about those things. He did mention some improvements he's seen in Hellebuyck's post-play. He also said it's hard to make changes in-season. Despite this, Woodley and Lawless discuss the process involving moving Hellebuyck's glove up and how Woodley notes how making a change that's good in the long term can actually create greater short-term pain.

Woodley also casually mentions, if I understood correctly, that glove hands being low is a criticism that is unfairly leveled against Flaherty in goaltending analysis circles but an InGoal article by Greg Balloch sort of explains the thought process behind that. Despite a low glove being, perhaps, better for shot angles giving shooters extra confidence might be a mistake in itself.

At the end of the day, it sounds like Woodley, like Valiquette, is still very high on Hellebuyck--and Comrie, 'as much as the numbers haven't been there'--and has few concerns about his ability to be a high end goalie in the future.

Old
04-23-2017, 05:46 PM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Little View Post
Interesting segment with Kevin Woodley last week on Hustler and Lawless, as 1290 commendably continue though their goaltending experts rolodex:

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/winnipeg-129...emory-1.724049

He does ask the shot quality question--though doesn't presume to have an answer--but also has some other interesting thoughts.

He's asked directly about Wade Flaherty and his initial reaction is that it's difficult to assess a goalie coach's performance because you need to know what they're working on and Hellebuyck doesn't talk about those things. He did mention some improvements he's seen in Hellebuyck's post-play. He also said it's hard to make changes in-season. Despite this, Woodley and Lawless discuss the process involving moving Hellebuyck's glove up and how Woodley notes how making a change that's good in the long term can actually create greater short-term pain.

Woodley also casually mentions, if I understood correctly, that glove hands being low is a criticism that is unfairly leveled against Flaherty in goaltending analysis circles but an InGoal article by Greg Balloch sort of explains the thought process behind that. Despite a low glove being, perhaps, better for shot angles giving shooters extra confidence might be a mistake in itself.

At the end of the day, it sounds like Woodley, like Valiquette, is still very high on Hellebuyck--and Comrie, 'as much as the numbers haven't been there'--and has few concerns about his ability to be a high end goalie in the future.
This snippet from that InGoal article made me shake my head:

Aside from his size and wingspan, another reason why Hellebuyck gets away with having his hands so low is because of his wide stance. Keeping his hands lower enables him to present himself even bigger to shooters, and is still at a level that he can get on top of the puck.

It’s hard to argue with his advice, considering the amount of success that he is having in the NHL this year. Coaches would be silly to mess around with something that is working so well for him, right?

“They definitely notice it, but they don’t ever try to adjust it. I would never let them. I feel comfortable doing it and they know that. They’ll point it out but they won’t touch it, because it works.”

I don't know when this interview took place, but quite a few people have noticed that the low glove hand isn't "working so well for him". And once again, the guy just comes across as arrogant and uncoachable. Don't even talk to me about my glove hand, I know what I'm doing. Seriously, it's time to move on from him. When the Jets go goalie shopping this summer, they should pick up two, not just one.

Old
04-23-2017, 06:39 PM
cbcwpg

Someone needs to explain that if Helly's glove is going so good for him, then why is it the whole league is shooting high glove on him and beating him ?

Old
04-23-2017, 06:44 PM
Evil Little

vCash: 1837
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody important View Post
This snippet from that InGoal article made me shake my head:

Aside from his size and wingspan, another reason why Hellebuyck gets away with having his hands so low is because of his wide stance. Keeping his hands lower enables him to present himself even bigger to shooters, and is still at a level that he can get on top of the puck.

It’s hard to argue with his advice, considering the amount of success that he is having in the NHL this year. Coaches would be silly to mess around with something that is working so well for him, right?

“They definitely notice it, but they don’t ever try to adjust it. I would never let them. I feel comfortable doing it and they know that. They’ll point it out but they won’t touch it, because it works.”

I don't know when this interview took place, but quite a few people have noticed that the low glove hand isn't "working so well for him". And once again, the guy just comes across as arrogant and uncoachable. Don't even talk to me about my glove hand, I know what I'm doing. Seriously, it's time to move on from him. When the Jets go goalie shopping this summer, they should pick up two, not just one.
You know that he moved his glove hand up, right?

Which is, by all accounts, very difficult to do in season.

Edit--

Quote:
Someone needs to explain that if Helly's glove is going so good for him, then why is it the whole league is shooting high glove on him and beating him ?
The point is that the parallax effect makes shooters think there's more room high glove than there actually is.

Theoretically, it's savvy to use that effect to your advantage, but given that Hellebuyck has been acclimating to NHL shots, just making shooters think there's extra room on the glove side--even if there isn't--might mean that more shots will go in.

Last edited by Evil Little: 04-23-2017 at 06:59 PM.
Old
04-23-2017, 07:37 PM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

Quote:

No, I didn't but we'll see how long that lasts. All it might take is a couple of pucks going in under his glove to convince him he had it right in the first place. He certainly sounded set in his ways in that interview, and pretty determined that he wasn't going to listen to any suggestions that he raise it up.

Old
04-26-2017, 06:21 PM
10Ducky10

Quote:

Edit--

The point is that the parallax effect makes shooters think there's more room high glove than there actually is.

Theoretically, it's savvy to use that effect to your advantage, but given that Hellebuyck has been acclimating to NHL shots, just making shooters think there's extra room on the glove side--even if there isn't--might mean that more shots will go in.
And they still got the puck by him high on that side...

Old
04-26-2017, 06:27 PM
Gurilla

vCash: 300
Darling/Bishop/MAF

I'm good with any one of those

Old
04-28-2017, 08:51 PM
cbcwpg

Old
04-28-2017, 10:11 PM
rehf
Fueled by Maurice

Damn, Darling would have been a good option. Hurricanes finally doing something about Ward though, so that's good.

Old
04-28-2017, 10:21 PM
Mason the Goalie
@colinhuII

vCash: 595
sign steve mason/keith kinkaid please

please

Old
04-29-2017, 12:01 AM
Flair Hay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffh View Post
Think I'm the only person who thinks howard is a possibility. I like the fact he only has 2 years left on contract also lots of experience with a solid sv%. It will be interesting to see who team usa goes with as a starter him or helle.
Coming off a great year. I'm with you he'd be a good pickup

Old
04-29-2017, 12:08 AM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Yeah I want Mason now. Was really banking on Darling to be available. Wouldn't be upset with Howard but I'd prefer a journeyman starter.

Old
04-29-2017, 01:23 AM
10Ducky10

Halak

Old
04-29-2017, 05:39 AM
uTurris
We the True North

Halak and call it a day.

Hoping Halak for Hutchinson.

Would be funny if we signed Steve Mason because we could say we have two former rookies of the year on our team.

Last edited by uTurris: 04-29-2017 at 06:08 AM.
Old
04-29-2017, 07:00 AM
Maukkis
ScheifElite

They really jumped the queue in Carolina.

Old
04-29-2017, 10:36 AM
SoCalJetsFan

vCash: 147
Quote:
Kinda sucks and it didn't cost them much. They must have a pretty good idea what it is going to take to sign him. He had really solid numbers for the games he played this year.

Closed Thread