Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's next for Jets Goaltending?

Old
03-01-2017, 08:45 PM
gnp

vCash: 500
Jets Have to Fix Goaltending Problem !!!

As high as a lot of the posters here are on Helly- I'm "not sold at all"- he let in 5 goals on 20 shots against Minnesota, and cost them the game. I don't think his reflexes are quick enough to be a #1 Goalie in the NHL. This is the Jets major "problem area."
My solution is to make a deal for Halak- he's proven and has experience, and would greatly improve the Jets. Helly can back him up, and prove himself. I hope with time Helly can live up to expectations, and with goalies, it takes a long time. I hope in the long run, Helly can prove himself, because some games he looks pretty sharp. I just don't think he'll be the answer tho- but I'd love to be proven wrong.
If the Jets did this- they would "for sure" be a big playoff team, and could be a Stanley Cup contender.

gnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2017, 10:11 PM
JetBlue420

I see halak as last resort.

Darling. Bishop. Johnson even are all better options.

JetBlue420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2017, 11:29 PM
WinnipegWinter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnp View Post
As high as a lot of the posters here are on Helly- I'm "not sold at all"- he let in 5 goals on 20 shots against Minnesota, and cost them the game. I don't think his reflexes are quick enough to be a #1 Goalie in the NHL. This is the Jets major "problem area."
My solution is to make a deal for Halak- he's proven and has experience, and would greatly improve the Jets. Helly can back him up, and prove himself. I hope with time Helly can live up to expectations, and with goalies, it takes a long time. I hope in the long run, Helly can prove himself, because some games he looks pretty sharp. I just don't think he'll be the answer tho- but I'd love to be proven wrong.
If the Jets did this- they would "for sure" be a big playoff team, and could be a Stanley Cup contender.
This team would be a stanley cup contender with Halak alone? What about our PP? Has Halak every played in such a broken down defensive environment?

WinnipegWinter* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2017, 01:04 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

No goalie the Jets can realistically acquire through trade or free agency will fair much better behind that porous defense.

Something else has to change to complete the culture change. I'm Looking squarely at coaches (Maurice, Huddy and Flaherty) and systems (PK, PP and defensive zone coverage)

Until Chevy takes care of the aforementioned, it will be the same end results until we have realized we've wasted the prime years of Scheifele, Laine, Ehlers and Trouba.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2017, 08:07 AM
Guffman
Strait is Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainChef View Post
Halek would be my target as well. Still have no idea why we passed on him when he could have been picked up on waivers for free.
"Free" being a $4.5M cap hit commitment for next season. No guarantee he extends if he plays well, and also precludes us from the big goalie market this upcoming season where we can get someone who willingly commits beyond a single season.

Guffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2017, 10:12 AM
Jets 31

What are the chances Pavelec starts on Friday ? I hope not , i would like to see how Helly bounces back right away not 2 weeks from now .

Jets 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2017, 02:00 PM
Do or Die

Like sticking 3 different pieces of bamboo under your nails, and simply waiting for the one that doesn't hurt.....

Do or Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2017, 02:45 PM
10Ducky10

Helle's stats are no better than what you would expect from a backup goalie...get a starter Chevy.

10Ducky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2017, 06:13 PM
matthole
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
No goalie the Jets can realistically acquire through trade or free agency will fair much better behind that porous defense.

Something else has to change to complete the culture change. I'm Looking squarely at coaches (Maurice, Huddy and Flaherty) and systems (PK, PP and defensive zone coverage)

Until Chevy takes care of the aforementioned, it will be the same end results until we have realized we've wasted the prime years of Scheifele, Laine, Ehlers and Trouba.
Completely agree, but I think the Jets should take this risk of draft a 2nd and 3rd(it's not like they'll find a bunch of starters as Forwards or D-men anyways) and using them both on Goalies. So in 3 years we don't have to be worrying about our top players Prime years as much and we would have more options.

matthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2017, 06:37 PM
10Ducky10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlue420 View Post
I see halak as last resort.

Darling. Bishop. Johnson even are all better options.
Halak is only signed for one more season so if you don't like what you see by the ASG, you don't re-sign him.

Old
03-02-2017, 06:47 PM
Eyeseeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets 31 View Post
What are the chances Pavelec starts on Friday ? I hope not , i would like to see how Helly bounces back right away not 2 weeks from now .
Pavelec is a ghost
Will never see our net again

Oh wait TNSE

Eyeseeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2017, 06:53 PM
jetswin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets 31 View Post
After listening to Maurice today shocked if it isn't Pav

jetswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2017, 07:07 PM
10Ducky10

If Pavs is backup for any of the remaining games, he stands a chance of playing again.
He's having an off year but I would sign Mason for two years at 3m per year.
I still think Halak is the best choice.

Old
03-02-2017, 07:45 PM
allan5oh
Has prospect fever

vCash: 82
I'm really disappointed in Hellebuycks development. Hutchinson too. Pavelec too. Hmmmmm...

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2017, 07:51 PM
pucka lucka

vCash: 50
I am more worried about how differently Mo treats Helle vs Pavelec. wtf is up with that ****.

pucka lucka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2017, 08:02 PM
10Ducky10

How should Helle be treated?

Old
03-02-2017, 08:06 PM
TheGovernment

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Ducky10 View Post
How should Helle be treated?
Like he's got cooties!

TheGovernment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2017, 08:08 PM
10Ducky10

You ever see his hair?

Old
03-02-2017, 11:34 PM
Jets4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
I'm really disappointed in Hellebuycks development. Hutchinson too. Pavelec too. Hmmmmm...
There is one obvious one common denominator as to why they have regressed after a few months of joining the Winnipeg Jets organization. Can anyone guess what that may be?

Jets4Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2017, 03:46 AM
gnp

Hope the Jet's Start Pavelec vs Blues

I hope the Jets start Pavelec, this upcoming game, and Helly can back him up. In the meantime, start hunting around for a proven, legitimate starter for next year like Halak-"his numbers are consistent and good."
ALSO- since the Blues are in town, maybe Chevy should have a talk with Hitch- love to see Hitch behind the Jet's bench, although I think Jet's brass want more of a "puppet coach". Need to step out of your comfort zone here, if you want to improve the situation.
Note- I do think PoMo, gives it all he has, and is trying, but I'm not convinced he'll take them to the top-"where they belong"

Old
03-03-2017, 03:48 AM
10Ducky10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnp View Post
I hope the Jets start Pavelec, this upcoming game, and Helly can back him up. In the meantime, start hunting around for a proven, legitimate starter for next year like Halak-"his numbers are consistent and good."
ALSO- since the Blues are in town, maybe Chevy should have a talk with Hitch- love to see Hitch behind the Jet's bench, although I think Jet's brass want more of a "puppet coach". Need to step out of your comfort zone here, if you want to improve the situation.
Note- I do think PoMo, gives it all he has, and is trying, but I'm not convinced he'll take them to the top-"where they belong"
????

Old
03-03-2017, 04:23 AM
Snagari

How do you know a person doesn't really have knowledge about goaltending? When they say "Jaro Halak is the solution!". Halak is just another Pavelec, believe me. A goalie who is GREAT when he is hot (for example World Cup), but absolutely horrible when he's having a bad day. The gap is too big for a team like Jets. The Jets need a "Bishop", goalie who will do the job even on his off-night.

Snagari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2017, 04:34 AM
gnp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snagari View Post
How do you know a person doesn't really have knowledge about goaltending? When they say "Jaro Halak is the solution!". Halak is just another Pavelec, believe me. A goalie who is GREAT when he is hot (for example World Cup), but absolutely horrible when he's having a bad day. The gap is too big for a team like Jets. The Jets need a "Bishop", goalie who will do the job even on his off-night.
You may be right Snag !!! and the goaltending "has to be fixed". I'm not an expert on goaltenders, but Bishop would also be good. Problem is tho- I believe he's making about $ 5- 6 mil, (not sure on this) and I don't think the Jet's can afford to pay that for a goalie. How are you then going to sign Trouba, Laine, and Ehlers, who are all going to want around $ 6 mil plus ??? Money doesn't grow on trees here, and this has to make economic sense-right ???-be nice to have Bishop tho

Old
03-03-2017, 05:08 AM
Asiantuntija

Juuse Saros is solutition to the problem.

Asiantuntija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2017, 06:31 AM
Snagari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiantuntija View Post
Juuse Saros is solutition to the problem.
Yes he would be. But you would have to trade for him though.

Snagari is offline   Reply With Quote