HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's next for Jets Goaltending?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-06-2017, 06:55 AM
  #101
uTurris
We the True North
 
uTurris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,093
vCash: 500
I think Halak would be a good pick up, but at this point I'd keep Hutch and see how Comrie does at training camp, because after a few Moose games I can tell he's already NHL ready. But I can see him going into his prime next season, so if he does well out of training camp I say waive Hutch and send him to the Moose.

Also, Jamie Phillips looks like he has some super good potential.

uTurris is offline  
Old
03-06-2017, 07:47 AM
  #102
Crocket
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uTurris View Post
I think Halak would be a good pick up, but at this point I'd keep Hutch and see how Comrie does at training camp, because after a few Moose games I can tell he's already NHL ready. But I can see him going into his prime next season, so if he does well out of training camp I say waive Hutch and send him to the Moose.

Also, Jamie Phillips looks like he has some super good potential.
Halak and Hele might be a good combo, Comrie and Hele probably not. Hele is progressing fine in my eyes. The mistake was going with Hutch as a backup.

Crocket is offline  
Old
03-06-2017, 10:05 AM
  #103
Aavco Cup
Registered User
 
Aavco Cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 25,719
vCash: 300
Is it too soon for a Pav appreciation thread?


Aavco Cup is offline  
Old
03-06-2017, 10:08 AM
  #104
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain
 
nobody important's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: a quiet suburb
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
Is it too soon for a Pav appreciation thread?

Shortest thread in HF Jets history?

nobody important is offline  
Old
03-06-2017, 10:08 AM
  #105
cbcwpg
Registered User
 
cbcwpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Between the Pipes
Country: United Nations
Posts: 10,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
Is it too soon for a Pav appreciation thread?

Interesting since Pavs was saying before last game he was ready to go, now he's having surgery.

The tweet should read: " end his season and essentially, his tenure with #NHL "

cbcwpg is offline  
Old
03-06-2017, 11:12 AM
  #106
Aavco Cup
Registered User
 
Aavco Cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 25,719
vCash: 300

Aavco Cup is offline  
Old
03-06-2017, 11:22 AM
  #107
Aavco Cup
Registered User
 
Aavco Cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 25,719
vCash: 300
So similar to Toby

Aavco Cup is offline  
Old
03-06-2017, 11:53 AM
  #108
Gm0ney
Unicorns salient
 
Gm0ney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffman View Post
Are you conveniently neglecting the fact that Hutch ate three of Hellebuyck's losses after Hellebuyck put the team in a massive hole when doing your proration?
Those losses count against Hellebuyck's record except for games where the team came back to tie and subsequently lost on a goal Hutch let in.

Gm0ney is offline  
Old
03-06-2017, 12:06 PM
  #109
Aavco Cup
Registered User
 
Aavco Cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 25,719
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Those losses count against Hellebuyck's record except for games where the team came back to tie and subsequently lost on a goal Hutch let in.
Like against Minnesota

Aavco Cup is offline  
Old
03-06-2017, 12:50 PM
  #110
CaptainChef
Registered User
 
CaptainChef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bedroom Jetsville
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uTurris View Post
I think Halak would be a good pick up, but at this point I'd keep Hutch and see how Comrie does at training camp, because after a few Moose games I can tell he's already NHL ready. But I can see him going into his prime next season, so if he does well out of training camp I say waive Hutch and send him to the Moose.

Also, Jamie Phillips looks like he has some super good potential.
A potential Helle-Comrie combo hasn't been suggested that much because everyone is gunshy of having two non-vets again next year. But, it would be far preferable to the Helle-Hutch combo we ran this year & perhaps Helle can be considered seasoned to the point where he can carry the bulk of the workload, but with a capable backup like Comrie to jump in when needed.

Been a tough season to get a good read on Comrie from, but he's got great potential for sure. He'll have to be considered NHL ready sometime during next year or definitely the year after, so maybe its time to consider going with Helle-Comrie next year?

CaptainChef is offline  
Old
03-06-2017, 12:53 PM
  #111
surixon
Registered User
 
surixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainChef View Post
A potential Helle-Comrie combo hasn't been suggested that much because everyone is gunshy of having two non-vets again next year. But, it would be far preferable to the Helle-Hutch combo we ran this year & perhaps Helle can be considered seasoned to the point where he can carry the bulk of the workload, but with a capable backup like Comrie to jump in when needed.

Been a tough season to get a good read on Comrie from, but he's got great potential for sure. He'll have to be considered NHL ready sometime during next year or definitely the year after, so maybe its time to consider going with Helle-Comrie next year?
The best thing for Comrie is to play a lot of games at the AHL level this and next season. He has grown as the year has progresses and is getting used to carrying he load night in and night out. It's way too premature to bring him up, especially if he's going to ride the pine a lot.

surixon is online now  
Old
03-06-2017, 01:17 PM
  #112
uTurris
We the True North
 
uTurris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,093
vCash: 500
If we do appreciate Pavs we have to say good things. He had his ups and downs, but I couldn't ask for a better goalie to start out with for the Jets.

uTurris is offline  
Old
03-06-2017, 01:42 PM
  #113
ERYX
'Pegger in Exile
 
ERYX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 596
vCash: 1250
I'd rather not do the two young goalies thing again next season, despite he fact Hellebuyck will have another year under his belt. I'm not so sure about Halak, are there any other veteran goalies out there -- preferably one who hasn't been waived down to the AHL and is still a full time NHL'er?

ERYX is offline  
Old
03-06-2017, 11:17 PM
  #114
10Ducky10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 3,577
vCash: 500
As soon as we have been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, Comrie needs to be looked at tout de suite.
Connor should be looked at again and Roslo looked at too.

10Ducky10 is offline  
Old
03-06-2017, 11:29 PM
  #115
truck
Registered User
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uTurris View Post
If we do appreciate Pavs we have to say good things. He had his ups and downs, but I couldn't ask for a better goalie to start out with for the Jets.
You couldn't ask for better than the worst?

Hopefully Hellebuyck continues to build.

truck is offline  
Old
03-07-2017, 12:38 AM
  #116
Aavco Cup
Registered User
 
Aavco Cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 25,719
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by uTurris View Post
If we do appreciate Pavs we have to say good things. He had his ups and downs, but I couldn't ask for a better goalie to start out with for the Jets.
I still remember the first game I saw Pavelec play. It was that game at the MTS Centre against the Canadiens. I had never seen him play a game before.

I remember saying to a co-worker the next day that our goaltender is a sieve. He assured me I was wrong. Turns out I was right all along

Aavco Cup is offline  
Old
03-07-2017, 01:55 PM
  #117
Keystone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Ducky10 View Post
Any goalie drafted would take 2-3 years to make the Jets at the least.
We need a vet to play 35-45 games. Halak is still my choice.
I'll be very disappointed if we grab Halak for next year. Not because he wouldn't make a good pair with Helle, but we could have had him 2 months ago. If we do it next year because the Isles eat a portion of his salary, it would reflect poorly on management commitment to rewarding fans by trying to win versus maximizing profits.

Keystone is offline  
Old
03-07-2017, 02:09 PM
  #118
tbcwpg
Registered User
 
tbcwpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystone View Post
I'll be very disappointed if we grab Halak for next year. Not because he wouldn't make a good pair with Helle, but we could have had him 2 months ago. If we do it next year because the Isles eat a portion of his salary, it would reflect poorly on management commitment to rewarding fans by trying to win versus maximizing profits.
I think Halak will be a hot commodity after the expansion draft after his rebound in the AHL, though I'm a bit skeptical about his ability to play in the NHL. I think we can get a goalie just as good, if not better, in the UFA market for cheaper. He could also end up traded to Vegas, depending on who they're able to pick.

tbcwpg is offline  
Old
03-07-2017, 03:11 PM
  #119
Gm0ney
Unicorns salient
 
Gm0ney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,831
vCash: 500
Halak's under contract for next year and carries a cap hit of $4.5M, and maybe more importantly a salary of $5M. He'll be 32 years old. His agent is cranky Al Walsh. He seemed upset about the goalie rotation in New York too. He's not near the top of the list, imo.

Gm0ney is offline  
Old
03-07-2017, 03:39 PM
  #120
surixon
Registered User
 
surixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Halak's under contract for next year and carries a cap hit of $4.5M, and maybe more importantly a salary of $5M. He'll be 32 years old. His agent is cranky Al Walsh. He seemed upset about the goalie rotation in New York too. He's not near the top of the list, imo.
That's a good point about not being happy with the situation in NY. Any guy wed bring in would need to be aware of and accept the what would likely be a 1B role where they may be the backup if Helle takes a step forward.

surixon is online now  
Old
03-11-2017, 09:20 PM
  #121
10Ducky10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 3,577
vCash: 500
The team is down 2-0 and Helle lets in a super soft goal and the team is down by 3 with less than 20 minutes to go. He needs to make that stop.

10Ducky10 is offline  
Old
03-11-2017, 11:10 PM
  #122
JetBlue420
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Eagle Creek Drive
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,489
vCash: 500
Jets need to score. You know you have an agenda when we don't score 1 goal and you say helle needs to make that save on the 3rd goal. What difference does it make. 1 0 2 0 3 0 5 0. We didn't score 1 goal

JetBlue420 is offline  
Old
03-11-2017, 11:34 PM
  #123
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain
 
nobody important's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: a quiet suburb
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlue420 View Post
Jets need to score. You know you have an agenda when we don't score 1 goal and you say helle needs to make that save on the 3rd goal. What difference does it make. 1 0 2 0 3 0 5 0. We didn't score 1 goal
Maybe that 3rd goal was all it took to take the fight out of the team. Remember, if you split off timelines at the point of the goal/save, two completely different games play out from that point forward.

nobody important is offline  
Old
03-12-2017, 12:09 AM
  #124
10Ducky10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 3,577
vCash: 500
He needs to make that save.....3 to 0 and we are done.

10Ducky10 is offline  
Old
03-12-2017, 09:00 PM
  #125
Puck Hawerchuck
Registered User
 
Puck Hawerchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St Vital
Country: Canada
Posts: 87
vCash: 500
Drop Wade Flaherty as the goalie coach.

All goalies have regressed under his tenure. I know TN is loyal but the previous employment of Darcy Imoo as the Ice Caps and College goalie coach was more beneficial for Hellebuyck, Hutchinson, Comrie, Phillips and at the time Kasdorf when they were all in college and/or playing for St John's.

Too bad they couldn't pry Bob Essensa out of Boston to be our goalie coach.

Puck Hawerchuck is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.