Notices

What's next for Jets Goaltending?

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2017, 06:55 AM
uTurris
We the True North

vCash: 500
I think Halak would be a good pick up, but at this point I'd keep Hutch and see how Comrie does at training camp, because after a few Moose games I can tell he's already NHL ready. But I can see him going into his prime next season, so if he does well out of training camp I say waive Hutch and send him to the Moose.

Also, Jamie Phillips looks like he has some super good potential.

Old
03-06-2017, 07:47 AM
Crocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by uTurris View Post
I think Halak would be a good pick up, but at this point I'd keep Hutch and see how Comrie does at training camp, because after a few Moose games I can tell he's already NHL ready. But I can see him going into his prime next season, so if he does well out of training camp I say waive Hutch and send him to the Moose.

Halak and Hele might be a good combo, Comrie and Hele probably not. Hele is progressing fine in my eyes. The mistake was going with Hutch as a backup.

Old
03-06-2017, 10:05 AM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
Is it too soon for a Pav appreciation thread?

Old
03-06-2017, 10:08 AM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post

Shortest thread in HF Jets history?

Old
03-06-2017, 10:08 AM
cbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post

Interesting since Pavs was saying before last game he was ready to go, now he's having surgery.

The tweet should read: " end his season and essentially, his tenure with #NHL "

Old
03-06-2017, 11:12 AM
Aavco Cup

Old
03-06-2017, 11:22 AM
Aavco Cup

So similar to Toby

Old
03-06-2017, 11:53 AM
Gm0ney
Unicorns salient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffman View Post
Are you conveniently neglecting the fact that Hutch ate three of Hellebuyck's losses after Hellebuyck put the team in a massive hole when doing your proration?
Those losses count against Hellebuyck's record except for games where the team came back to tie and subsequently lost on a goal Hutch let in.

Old
03-06-2017, 12:06 PM
Aavco Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Those losses count against Hellebuyck's record except for games where the team came back to tie and subsequently lost on a goal Hutch let in.
Like against Minnesota

Old
03-06-2017, 12:50 PM
CaptainChef

Quote:

A potential Helle-Comrie combo hasn't been suggested that much because everyone is gunshy of having two non-vets again next year. But, it would be far preferable to the Helle-Hutch combo we ran this year & perhaps Helle can be considered seasoned to the point where he can carry the bulk of the workload, but with a capable backup like Comrie to jump in when needed.

Been a tough season to get a good read on Comrie from, but he's got great potential for sure. He'll have to be considered NHL ready sometime during next year or definitely the year after, so maybe its time to consider going with Helle-Comrie next year?

Old
03-06-2017, 12:53 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainChef View Post
A potential Helle-Comrie combo hasn't been suggested that much because everyone is gunshy of having two non-vets again next year. But, it would be far preferable to the Helle-Hutch combo we ran this year & perhaps Helle can be considered seasoned to the point where he can carry the bulk of the workload, but with a capable backup like Comrie to jump in when needed.

Been a tough season to get a good read on Comrie from, but he's got great potential for sure. He'll have to be considered NHL ready sometime during next year or definitely the year after, so maybe its time to consider going with Helle-Comrie next year?
The best thing for Comrie is to play a lot of games at the AHL level this and next season. He has grown as the year has progresses and is getting used to carrying he load night in and night out. It's way too premature to bring him up, especially if he's going to ride the pine a lot.

Old
03-06-2017, 01:17 PM
uTurris
We the True North

If we do appreciate Pavs we have to say good things. He had his ups and downs, but I couldn't ask for a better goalie to start out with for the Jets.

Old
03-06-2017, 01:42 PM
ERYX
'Pegger in Exile

vCash: 1250
I'd rather not do the two young goalies thing again next season, despite he fact Hellebuyck will have another year under his belt. I'm not so sure about Halak, are there any other veteran goalies out there -- preferably one who hasn't been waived down to the AHL and is still a full time NHL'er?

Old
03-06-2017, 11:17 PM
10Ducky10

As soon as we have been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, Comrie needs to be looked at tout de suite.
Connor should be looked at again and Roslo looked at too.

Old
03-06-2017, 11:29 PM
truck

Quote:
If we do appreciate Pavs we have to say good things. He had his ups and downs, but I couldn't ask for a better goalie to start out with for the Jets.
You couldn't ask for better than the worst?

Hopefully Hellebuyck continues to build.

Old
03-07-2017, 12:38 AM
Aavco Cup

Quote:
I still remember the first game I saw Pavelec play. It was that game at the MTS Centre against the Canadiens. I had never seen him play a game before.

I remember saying to a co-worker the next day that our goaltender is a sieve. He assured me I was wrong. Turns out I was right all along

Old
03-07-2017, 01:55 PM
Keystone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Ducky10 View Post
Any goalie drafted would take 2-3 years to make the Jets at the least.
We need a vet to play 35-45 games. Halak is still my choice.
I'll be very disappointed if we grab Halak for next year. Not because he wouldn't make a good pair with Helle, but we could have had him 2 months ago. If we do it next year because the Isles eat a portion of his salary, it would reflect poorly on management commitment to rewarding fans by trying to win versus maximizing profits.

Old
03-07-2017, 02:09 PM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystone View Post
I'll be very disappointed if we grab Halak for next year. Not because he wouldn't make a good pair with Helle, but we could have had him 2 months ago. If we do it next year because the Isles eat a portion of his salary, it would reflect poorly on management commitment to rewarding fans by trying to win versus maximizing profits.
I think Halak will be a hot commodity after the expansion draft after his rebound in the AHL, though I'm a bit skeptical about his ability to play in the NHL. I think we can get a goalie just as good, if not better, in the UFA market for cheaper. He could also end up traded to Vegas, depending on who they're able to pick.

Old
03-07-2017, 03:11 PM
Gm0ney
Unicorns salient

Halak's under contract for next year and carries a cap hit of $4.5M, and maybe more importantly a salary of $5M. He'll be 32 years old. His agent is cranky Al Walsh. He seemed upset about the goalie rotation in New York too. He's not near the top of the list, imo.

Old
03-07-2017, 03:39 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Halak's under contract for next year and carries a cap hit of $4.5M, and maybe more importantly a salary of $5M. He'll be 32 years old. His agent is cranky Al Walsh. He seemed upset about the goalie rotation in New York too. He's not near the top of the list, imo.
That's a good point about not being happy with the situation in NY. Any guy wed bring in would need to be aware of and accept the what would likely be a 1B role where they may be the backup if Helle takes a step forward.

Old
03-11-2017, 09:20 PM
10Ducky10

The team is down 2-0 and Helle lets in a super soft goal and the team is down by 3 with less than 20 minutes to go. He needs to make that stop.

Old
03-11-2017, 11:10 PM
JetBlue420

Jets need to score. You know you have an agenda when we don't score 1 goal and you say helle needs to make that save on the 3rd goal. What difference does it make. 1 0 2 0 3 0 5 0. We didn't score 1 goal

Old
03-11-2017, 11:34 PM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlue420 View Post
Jets need to score. You know you have an agenda when we don't score 1 goal and you say helle needs to make that save on the 3rd goal. What difference does it make. 1 0 2 0 3 0 5 0. We didn't score 1 goal
Maybe that 3rd goal was all it took to take the fight out of the team. Remember, if you split off timelines at the point of the goal/save, two completely different games play out from that point forward.

Old
03-12-2017, 12:09 AM
10Ducky10

He needs to make that save.....3 to 0 and we are done.

Old
03-12-2017, 09:00 PM
Puck Hawerchuck

Drop Wade Flaherty as the goalie coach.

All goalies have regressed under his tenure. I know TN is loyal but the previous employment of Darcy Imoo as the Ice Caps and College goalie coach was more beneficial for Hellebuyck, Hutchinson, Comrie, Phillips and at the time Kasdorf when they were all in college and/or playing for St John's.

Too bad they couldn't pry Bob Essensa out of Boston to be our goalie coach.

Closed Thread