HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Hockey Talk by Country
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Hockey Talk by Country Talk about the other countries that are playing the world's greatest game!

Japanese Prospects?

Old
04-20-2006, 08:43 AM
tokyosabre

vCash: 500
Thank you, Shootmaster_44. Certainly, GM who drafted Tsujimoto was Imlach. And it was in 1974(2years after Sapporo Olympic in Japan).
As you said, NHL didn't realize that he isn't a real person. But Taro Tsujimoto is a Japanese name, not a Japanese person. So, I don't think he is the first Japanese who was drafted in NHL.

tokyosabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2006, 07:16 AM
Tokyo Bucks

Haha, that's a funny story.

Tokyo Bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2006, 08:07 AM
doncheery

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwisshockeyAcademy
There are six Japanese players playing in a US Junior A league called the America East Hockey League. They play for West Island. Not sure of their abilities but they look like they are trying to better themselves in this league.
The Japanese players in Hockey East America ( very weak Jr A that plays mainly in NE ) will be the first of many. The owner of that team John Keigthly ( former owner of the Lac St Louis Lions Midget AAA ) is starting a Prep School in Harrington Lake on the Que/ Ont border in an ex corporate hunting /fishing lodge. He is married to a Japanese woman and is connected in Japan where he runs hockey clinics. Kaz Iawamoto from Wyoming Seminary was the first of Keightly's imports. 35,000.00 a year for the school and hockey training. Bantam, Midget and Jr teams. Supposed to start 2006/07. Rumour is that they have looked into a CJHL or Quebec Jr AAA franchise without luck.
On the team are 6 Japanese, and players from France, Norway, Austria and Holland .
http://www.americaeasthockey.com/tea...&league_id=439

doncheery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 06:36 AM
Tokyo Bucks

Wow, that's really interesting information. Thanks.

I thought young European players from second tier hockey nations would go to one of SWE/FIN/RUS/SVK/CZE to further their skills instead of low level Jr. A in North America, interesting..

Last edited by Tokyo Bucks: 04-25-2006 at 01:42 AM.
Tokyo Bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 07:04 PM
It Kills Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyosabre
Thank you, Shootmaster_44. Certainly, GM who drafted Tsujimoto was Imlach. And it was in 1974(2years after Sapporo Olympic in Japan).
As you said, NHL didn't realize that he isn't a real person. But Taro Tsujimoto is a Japanese name, not a Japanese person. So, I don't think he is the first Japanese who was drafted in NHL.
Well I guess you could say that he did draft a real person. Because he got the name out of the phonebook.

So, IMO Taro Tsujimoto, some guy living in Buffalo around the 70s was the first Japanese (probably fully Japanese) person drafted into the NHL.

It Kills Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 12:04 AM
Shootmaster_44

I wasn't trying to turn this thread away from its original intent just thought I'd mention ol'Taro.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 01:08 PM
12# Peter Bondra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles
Well I guess you could say that he did draft a real person. Because he got the name out of the phonebook.

So, IMO Taro Tsujimoto, some guy living in Buffalo around the 70s was the first Japanese (probably fully Japanese) person drafted into the NHL.
Imagine had he shown up at training camp saying: "You drafted me so I came here".

12# Peter Bondra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2006, 07:30 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12# Peter Bondra
Imagine had he shown up at training camp saying: "You drafted me so I came here".

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 04:33 PM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunb View Post
Paul Kariya - Japanese-Canadian (Half-Japanese) = Bona fide NHL star who once had (still has some) potential of making the hall of fame
David Tanabe - Japanese-American (Half-Japanese) = Good top 4 offensive defenseman with powerplay abilities
Jamie Storr - Japanese-Canadian (Half-Japanese) = Past 7th overall pick
Steve Kariya - Japanese-Canadian (Half-Japanese) = Paul's little brother
Raymond Sawada - Japanese-Canadian (Half-Japanese) = 2nd round pick by Dallas in 2003 draft
Ryan Kuwabara - Japanese-Canadian (Half-Japanese) = 2nd round pick by Montreal in 1990 draft
Devin Setoguchi - Japanese-Canadian (Half-Japanese) = 1st round 8th overall pick in this year's draft

All are half-Japanese / half-white so there isn't a full-blooded Japanese player who has a chance of making the NHL other than that goalie LA drafted. But at least all of them, with exception to Storr, have Japanese last-names and could attract fan in Japan.
Don't forget Martin Kariya ^^

Jamie Storr used to have ice hockey courses and introduce young japanese-americans to the world of hockey when he was with the Kings.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2006, 05:40 PM
Wafer

A Japanese prospect plays with the Drumondville Voltigeurs in QMJHL this year, his name is Takuma Kawai and his coach thinks he will have an impact in the league.

For those who can understand french, here's an article on him: http://www.expressparole.com/article...e-30-buts.html

Wafer is offline   Reply With Quote