HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Defensive Targets

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2006, 12:22 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

vCash: 500
Defensive Targets

Poile (along with Leipold) have both mentioned this past week that they are looking to upgrade our defensive core and that a trade is a very real possibility. With that in mind, I would really like to set aside a thread where we discuss what could be going on. Last year NMK/Smokey and gang nailed the Sullivan trade....I think we can do it again this year.

Guys that we could potentially target:

Pavel Kubina (TB)
Derek Morris (PHX)
Brendan Witt (WAS)
Steve Staios (EDM)
Mike Rathje (PHI)
Sheldon Souray (MTL)
Ken Klee (TOR)
Ruslan Salei (ANA)
Sean Hill (FLA)
Jason Smith (EDM)
Sean O'Donnel (PHX)
Willie Mitchell (MIN)
Jassen Cullimore (CHI)
Chris Therien (PHX) *Puke*

Added:

Nick Boynton (BOS)
Keith Carney (ANA)

These are just some guys off of the top of my head that could possibly hold some interest in the physicallity/defensive defensemen department. Obviously some of them will not be available. For instance, I cannot see Toronto moving Ken Klee, or Edmonton Smith/Staois, and Willie Mitchell is a heart and soul type of guy. Rathje is probably not going to move either, and it is shaky to to see MTL deal Souray or for Chicago to send Cullimore our way. Kubina....well Tampa needs defense badly as it is...

The guy that intrigues me is Derek Morris, who is at once vastly overrated and vastly underrated. He could definitely fit the bill for a guy we could use. Stand up, tough, and a 2 way player....He is probably a bit pricey for Poile, though.

Maybe Ruslan Salei is somone we are keeping our eyes on. Still, I am always wary of B.Burke, and I would particularly rather not deal with him.

I think I would do a backflip if Minnesota decided to trade Willie Mitchell, but I doubt they even consider it.

Could we see us try to snag an Ossi Vaananen or Dimitri Kalinin? Will we send a package of Erat/Eaton to snag a young defensive/physical defensemen?

What are your guys thoughts and who sticks out to you?

Last edited by Enoch: 01-31-2006 at 04:21 PM.
Old
01-31-2006, 12:25 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

my hunch is kubina.

Old
01-31-2006, 12:26 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

and, *ahem*

*I* nailed the Sullivan trade, with an assist to Trigg

Old
01-31-2006, 12:30 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
my hunch is kubina.
He would be an ideal fit for our team, but how could Tampa deal their only solid defensemen and hope to contend? They are still 6th in the conference, so I can't see management dealing him at this juncture. However, I would love to come up with a package for him...28, reasonable salary, huge, good offensive set, with a heavy heavy hit in the repertoire...

I'm not sure how many years he is under contract or if he will be an UFA next season, so I really can't figure out what to package for him...

Old
01-31-2006, 03:16 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

It'll never happen but i'd love to see Jason Smith in a Preds uniform.

Old
01-31-2006, 06:59 AM
Drury77

Send a message via AIM to Drury77 Send a message via Yahoo to Drury77 Send a message via Skype™ to Drury77
You could also add Nick Boynton to that list too.

He's only signed thru this year and will most likely be VERY hard to sign in Boston.

I wouldn't mind seeing him here, especially if he's gonna leave Boston.

Not a big Offensive guy, but can score on occasion. He's very tough, physical, loves to hit ppl, and pretty damn solid in his own end.

Legwand for Boynton??

01-31-2006, 07:02 AM
PredDave

Barring any extension being signed in the next few months, Pavel Kubina will be a type III unrestricted free agent on July 1st.

source: 2006 Free Agent List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
I'm not sure how many years he is under contract or if he will be an UFA next season, so I really can't figure out what to package for him...

Old
01-31-2006, 07:06 AM
PredDave

Witt, Klee, O'Donnell, and Cullimore are probably the most realistic players we could get.

I think Kubina would be an awesome acquisition, but not likely. Tampa is too close to the bubble to make their team weaker.

What would you think of a Keith Carney? I guess he's not a big hulking, crease-clearer, but he has good, battle-tested playoff experience.

I'm kinda on the fence about Sean Hill (old, lost a step?), Ruslan Salei (takes a lot of unneccessary penalties, we already have that), Derek Morris (injury prone and expensive), etc.

Old
01-31-2006, 08:01 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
my #1 choice of that list is easily kubina.

you guys might hate me for this, but what if we traded someone like, say, zidlicky or eaton for kubina???

Old
01-31-2006, 08:27 AM
vopatsrash

I don't know if this should be its own thread or if we should keep all d-man trade stuff in one place...

In addition to the "who will we get?" thread, I'd also like to throw out "who will we get rid of?"

Timonen
Markov
Hamhuis
Eaton
Zidlicky
Suter

One has to go in some form when we get a new guy. We know it won't be Hamhuis or Suter (traded). It likely will not be Timonen or Markov. Trotz has been hot and cold on Suter this year. I guess it's technically possible they send him down and go with veterans, but I'd consider that to be unlikely. My guess is Zidlicky or Eaton.

While Zidlicky is not a great defensive defenseman, I'll go ahead and predict that Eaton is gone. He has quiet good games, but hasn't been as consistent, imo, as he was in 03-04. And, Zidlicky is really good at one thing while Eaton is decent at a few things. Also, the new guy will be closer to filling Eaton's role than filling Zidlicky's role.

My opinion has been that you can get rid of Zidlicky while his value is high, because his shot isn't consistently low and on net from the blue line and his offensive skills can be replaced by a guy who has good defensive ability and a smart shot. But, his passing is strong and he is so skilled. Plus, who would be our third shootout guy?

I think the Preds will see him as having a role that they can't replace, whereas the d-man they get will be a direct upgrade over Mark Eaton.

Old
01-31-2006, 08:47 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by vopatsrash
I don't know if this should be its own thread or if we should keep all d-man trade stuff in one place...

In addition to the "who will we get?" thread, I'd also like to throw out "who will we get rid of?"

Timonen
Markov
Hamhuis
Eaton
Zidlicky
Suter

One has to go in some form when we get a new guy. We know it won't be Hamhuis or Suter (traded). It likely will not be Timonen or Markov. Trotz has been hot and cold on Suter this year. I guess it's technically possible they send him down and go with veterans, but I'd consider that to be unlikely. My guess is Zidlicky or Eaton.

While Zidlicky is not a great defensive defenseman, I'll go ahead and predict that Eaton is gone. He has quiet good games, but hasn't been as consistent, imo, as he was in 03-04. And, Zidlicky is really good at one thing while Eaton is decent at a few things. Also, the new guy will be closer to filling Eaton's role than filling Zidlicky's role.

My opinion has been that you can get rid of Zidlicky while his value is high, because his shot isn't consistently low and on net from the blue line and his offensive skills can be replaced by a guy who has good defensive ability and a smart shot. But, his passing is strong and he is so skilled. Plus, who would be our third shootout guy?

I think the Preds will see him as having a role that they can't replace, whereas the d-man they get will be a direct upgrade over Mark Eaton.
It depends on the player we are going after and our belief that we can resign him/not resign him. If we trade for Kubina, I have absolutely not problem dealing Marek Zidlicky - the same for a Derek Morris. However, if we deal for Jassen Cullimore, trading Zidlicky is like being kicked in the nuts.

I would love Nick Boynton on the team, but I think it is extremely unrealistic to see us trading David Legwand for an impending UFA. No...more likely a second round pick + a prospect (Glazachev, etc.) with another pick. Boston is making a huge push for the playoffs right now, so I think he is probably unavailable until they hit a snag........and even then a trade of one of their goalies might be used to upgrade them even more as a playoff team.

To NAS: Kubina
To TB: Zidlicky + Alex Sulzer/Richard Stehlik

Probably to cheap on our end, but its a start...

Old
01-31-2006, 08:59 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Quote:
To NAS: Kubina
To TB: Zidlicky + Alex Sulzer/Richard Stehlik

Probably to cheap on our end, but its a start...
I dunno, it looks fair to me. zidlicky is just about as valuable as a guy like kubina, just in a different way.

Old
01-31-2006, 09:50 AM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by vopatsrash

Timonen
Markov
Hamhuis
Eaton
Zidlicky
Suter

Thinking outside the box a little here...we may not get rid of any of those that you mention.
With the stretch playoff run and playoffs, I think there is a distinct possiblity that we platoon Eaton and Suter as the #7 dman [eventhough Trotz hates to sit a 20 year old]....even giving Suter occasional time in Milwaukee if he isn't playing enough. Then we could jetison Allison. Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the playoff roster # increase from 23 skaters?

I still think the talk into today's Tennessean about keeping 6 or even 7 centers on the active roster, and playing two on a line together frequently.....although conceivable, is not very probable, and I see Fiddler or less likely Johnson or even less likely, Legwand as part of the trade package for the physical d-man.
I also think that Trotz and Poile have almost no faith that Legwand will be effective on his injured knee through the remainder of the year and we will keep the "Six center concept" active until Legwand has done his rehab stint in Milwaukee and they have seen how effective he is with sharp cuts, speed, and tentativeness......

Last edited by handtrick: 01-31-2006 at 10:50 AM.
Old
01-31-2006, 02:57 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I'd like to see us make a push for a rental UFA to be...Kubina, Witt, someone like that...and in the offseason...make a BIG PUSH, like, go all out and make our UFA target...

Chara.

Toss that one around. think this team could use a 6'9 monster that fights, scores and hits like a tank?

Old
01-31-2006, 02:58 PM
hillbilly

Send a message via AIM to hillbilly
think they're going to pay 6 mil for that player?

I'm gonna say I hope that we get Witt or Boynton.

Old
01-31-2006, 03:01 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly
think they're going to pay 6 mil for that player?

I'm gonna say I hope that we get Witt or Boynton.

we'd have the cap room, and you have to think that if you're going to play with the big boys, we're going to have to compete for those kinds of signings.

Old
01-31-2006, 03:43 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I agree NMK. I am tired of setting our sights low. Its great and all to have a lot of 2nd/3rd line checkers making extremely low salaries....but I want extreme talent. We have that in Vokoun. We have that in Kariya....Sullivan is right there on the edge, and with the new rules probably is....We don't have that anywhere on defense. If we want to win this conference, we need a no. 1 defensemen and we need him to lay down the law on the ice. Chara would certainly fit that bill. Sure every team in the league is going to want him...but how many teams will have the flexibility that we have? We are almost undoubtedly going to get the revenue sharing money, playoff money, increased attendance money. If we are going to go for somone, next year is probably that time. I also think we need to look at what assets we can move, and move them. Vokoun will be in the final year of his contract next year, as will Kariya and Walker. We are going to see salaries start to escalate, and we are not going to be able to afford the cheap, semi-talented depth that makes us such a good team.

If we aren't going to go for it this season, then I think we have to for the next off-season.

I think Boynton should come a bit cheaper than Kubina....although thats debateable. Maybe a 2nd rather than a roster player, along with a prospect like Glazachev. Then again, if Boston is in the race and are confident...they won't trade anyone.

Will the Kariya factor play a role into looking at one of Anaheim's defensemen?

Old
01-31-2006, 04:01 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

good post, enoch. i think some of us are still in the "new-rich" mentality where we're so used to being on the outside looking in that we haven't recognized that we're one of the top teams. we're not elite yet, but i think we're a year or two away from that point...and to get there, there are some key parts to be added along with strategic but frugal placement of top rookies.

Old
01-31-2006, 04:03 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
and, *ahem*

*I* nailed the Sullivan trade, with an assist to Trigg
Ahem...posted by SmokeyClause on 10-25-03:
Quote:
It seems like Steve Sullivan might be an option. He's not a sniper but he will provide offense. He's scored atleast 20 goals in 6 straight seasons and over 60 points in his past 4.

He could be had cheaper than Comrie. He's 29 years old and while he's small, size (or lackthereof) isn't as big an issue with the Predators as it used to be. His price tag is 3 million but that's around where Comrie's is going to be. I think he is a RFA at the end of the season.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...oto=nextnewest

I won't say I called it necessarily, but I did propose a trade in this thread well before it went through. I deserve some sort of secondary assist at least, if I'm not actually awarded the goal (I swear it banked off my calf and in!) Of course, I think you are referring to your post 10 days before the trade went down. Though the value, like in my trade proposal, was a smidge off

Quote:
how about this...

to CHI: arkhipov, haydar
to NAS: Steve Sullivan
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=49539

Old
01-31-2006, 04:20 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

To be honest, I thought it was both of you, then I thought Smokey was the one who did it....I'll just change it to - Smokey/NMK etc.

Regardless, I think it just goes to show that some that post here really know there stuff and have an eye for what this team needs and could potentially go after. No intention on slighting anyone!

Old
01-31-2006, 04:23 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

just don't let it happen again. both of us have the power to ban you.

Old
01-31-2006, 04:29 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Regardless, I think it just goes to show that some that post here really know there stuff and have an eye for what this team needs and could potentially go after. No intention on slighting anyone!
You know what I think? I think it shows that the sun shines on a dog's *** every once in a while.

Old
01-31-2006, 04:44 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Wait a minute. The game thread where Sullivan separated Legwand's shoulder is where it was brought up first.

Old
01-31-2006, 04:53 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
Wait a minute. The game thread where Sullivan separated Legwand's shoulder is where it was brought up first.
link??? In all seriousness, I have no idea when it first started. I was in Vegas when that happened and I can't find that GDT.

Old
01-31-2006, 04:54 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Back to the thread title...
I would love to have Chara on the team. I watch the Sens a lot as they are my 2nd team and he brings it. Lately he has even been winning some crucial faceoffs for them!
But I think maybe that is setting the bar higher than CL and DP would. Going after Kubina in the off season I could see, once we have Radu in the fold something will have to give for next year...

Closed Thread