HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rogers arena:3: the search for perfection

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-05-2017, 02:31 PM
  #51
Speed220DChalavan
Registered User
 
Speed220DChalavan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McHilman View Post
Pic by TheGreatestX at C2E - steel being erected for connection between Ford Hall and JW Marriott




From Rogers Place renderings:
http://www.rogersplace.com/renderings/





Looks pretty lit.

The 780 DT is growing before our very own eyes.

Speed220DChalavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2017, 07:01 PM
  #52
Gord
Batfink!
 
Gord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,857
vCash: 50
So a taxpayer funded arena that is supposed to benefit all, and tier one oiler ticket holders get dibs on concert tickets. That's garbage.
I'm not shocked but it's still a crock.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2017, 07:52 PM
  #53
K1984
Registered User
 
K1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
So a taxpayer funded arena that is supposed to benefit all, and tier one oiler ticket holders get dibs on concert tickets. That's garbage.
I'm not shocked but it's still a crock.
This was the case at taxpayer funded Rexall as well.

K1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2017, 08:01 PM
  #54
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,242
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1984 View Post
This was the case at taxpayer funded Rexall as well.
I dont think this was true at all....at least not when I was involved in being a season ticket holder.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2017, 08:17 PM
  #55
McLotto 97
Believe in 13.5%
 
McLotto 97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,033
vCash: 305
I know for a fact that as a season ticket holder, in non gold seat, that you do not get first shot at concert tickets. I have lower bowl row 10 and that is not a perk

However, I have heard that the people with the Gold club seats do infact get first shot at tickets. Can someone in Golds confirm this?

McLotto 97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2017, 08:19 PM
  #56
McHilman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
So a taxpayer funded arena that is supposed to benefit all, and tier one oiler ticket holders get dibs on concert tickets. That's garbage.
I'm not shocked but it's still a crock.
The arena isn't all taxpayer funded, but you knew that, stop being so obtuse. And of course they get first dibs to concerts, that is how every arena works including our own Commonwealth.

It is benefiting all, the district will pump millions and millions of extra taxes into City coffers, elevate the city's image and be a magnet for new businesses and people. These new taxes will pay for many downtown projects which otherwise would have no funding.

Quote:
The Projects
Rogers Place and related public infrastructure, including the land for the arena, a contribution to the Winter Garden, a MacEwan LRT station connection, and an interior pedestrian walkway
The Downtown Community Arena
Green and walkable downtown, to increase the attractiveness, connectivity and usability of downtown streets by adding wider sidewalks, trees, pedestrian lighting, landscaping, street furnishing and improved paving
Downtown stormwater drainage servicing
Jasper Avenue new vision, to create an attractive and distinctive streetscape along Jasper Avenue
River Valley promenades, which include extending the Heritage Trail
Projects in the Civic Precinct
Warehouse campus neighbourhood central park
Central warehouse housing incentive program
Edmonton Downtown Academic and Cultural Centre (the Galleria)
The City estimates that the Capital City Downtown CRL will generate sufficient revenue over its 20 year life to fund approximately $500 million in new infrastructure downtown.
https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...ntown-crl.aspx

I suggest doing a little reading on the CRL to educate yourself.

McHilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2017, 08:35 PM
  #57
K1984
Registered User
 
K1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
I dont think this was true at all....at least not when I was involved in being a season ticket holder.
I think it's only for gold and suite holders.

K1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2017, 08:37 PM
  #58
Dorian2
Positional Bias.
 
Dorian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,038
vCash: 99
I find it hard to believe people are still beefing about certain things re: Rogers place. Odd. IMO.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2017, 08:37 PM
  #59
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,242
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1984 View Post
I think it's only for gold and suite holders.
Ah...okay. Now that I think about it I am quite sure that most private arena suites in Canada have first access to concerts and other events.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 07:58 AM
  #60
Gord
Batfink!
 
Gord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,857
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by McHilman View Post
And of course they get first dibs to concerts, that is how every arena works including our own Commonwealth.

you're lying right off the top. and yes, I did just accuse you of lying, since you laid it out as fact.
I have been a season ticket holder for many years at commonwealth and have never gotten to purchase advance tickets for any show.
so why should I believe you're telling the truth when you say EVERY other arena does this, when you don't even have it right for the city of Edmonton?

I don't know who you are, but you do everything in your ability to defend the powers that be for the arena and ice district, and pump the tires for them. like it's your job. so I have to take what you say with a grain of salt this time.

I was told club seat holders get that right, not just people who have luxury boxes. that's a fair number of seats, isn't it? I could understand the luxury box people, but how many club seats are there?

it's unfair that people who pay for certain hockey tickets get to trump everyone else for concerts.
I believed it was oiler season tickets they were paying for, not owning a seat in the arena.
I don't think it's unreasonable to think that's garbage.
I don't care how rogers is helping the area, but I do think all people should get fair access to shows at the arena, and let hockey fans just have their hockey tickets.

and dorian, why isn't this a valid complaint? it's not an issue in the past, but an issue now. "you can tell me to get over it, suck it up, that's the way it is", but doesn't mean it's right, or fair to people.

the only thing I shouldn't have brought up is the taxpayer funded comment.
but I do think everyone should get a fair chance to purchase concert tickets and it shouldn't be a right granted to seat holders. suite holders perhaps, but not seat holders.


Last edited by Gord; 03-06-2017 at 08:27 AM..
Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 10:31 AM
  #61
McHilman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
you're lying right off the top. and yes, I did just accuse you of lying, since you laid it out as fact.
I have been a season ticket holder for many years at commonwealth and have never gotten to purchase advance tickets for any show.
so why should I believe you're telling the truth when you say EVERY other arena does this, when you don't even have it right for the city of Edmonton?

I don't know who you are, but you do everything in your ability to defend the powers that be for the arena and ice district, and pump the tires for them. like it's your job. so I have to take what you say with a grain of salt this time.

I was told club seat holders get that right, not just people who have luxury boxes. that's a fair number of seats, isn't it? I could understand the luxury box people, but how many club seats are there?

it's unfair that people who pay for certain hockey tickets get to trump everyone else for concerts.
I believed it was oiler season tickets they were paying for, not owning a seat in the arena.
I don't think it's unreasonable to think that's garbage.
I don't care how rogers is helping the area, but I do think all people should get fair access to shows at the arena, and let hockey fans just have their hockey tickets.

and dorian, why isn't this a valid complaint? it's not an issue in the past, but an issue now. "you can tell me to get over it, suck it up, that's the way it is", but doesn't mean it's right, or fair to people.

the only thing I shouldn't have brought up is the taxpayer funded comment.
but I do think everyone should get a fair chance to purchase concert tickets and it shouldn't be a right granted to seat holders. suite holders perhaps, but not seat holders.

Time for you to simmer down, here are a few emails that were in my trash bin for your viewing pleasure.


http://campaign.r20.constantcontact....e-d4ae5292c38a








I look forward to your apology and back peddling........

McHilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 01:09 PM
  #62
Niet
Registered User
 
Niet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 869
vCash: 500
So that area with the screen will be like a second Churchill Square? I'm assuming when it's done they will show Oilers playoff games?

Niet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 01:45 PM
  #63
McHilman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,617
vCash: 500
^ That's the plan, I could see them bringing food trucks, live entertainment, etc and making it a party.

McHilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 01:51 PM
  #64
Paralyzer
Had Enough Yet?
 
Paralyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McHilman View Post
^ That's the plan, I could see them bringing food trucks, live entertainment, etc and making it a party.
omg I so want to go to that. Would be fun to be there!

Paralyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 02:09 PM
  #65
McHilman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,617
vCash: 500


Quote:
THE FLIP
Between Oilers games and Oil Kings games alone, there is a live event taking place at Rogers Place nearly every-other night of the week. With concerts on top of what can already be described as a tight schedule, Rogers Place has seen more than one million fans pass through its doors after opening a mere six months ago.

From ingress and egress, traffic, parking, fire code and safety regulations, to replacing a burnt-out lightbulb or fixing a broken chair, there are a lot of issues - both big and small - that must be monitored in and around the building on any given day. Furthermore, for each event that takes place at the new home of the orange and blue faithful, extensive planning and preparation must be conducted.

Parsons described the months of planning that went into the coordination of the nine Garth Brooks shows that were held at Rogers Place, over the course of only six days, as being all-encompassing.

"There was a lot of planning, lots of spreadsheets, lots of meetings and assigning responsibility, but also an 'all-hands-on-deck' approach," she said.

Although NHL and WHL game days are conducted in a similar fashion as any other live event held at Rogers Place, some key differences go into organizing a concert. The first big difference being the ice - or lack thereof.

"The first thing we do is cover the ice," said Rogers Place Operations and Maintenance Manager, Kyle Lamkey.

Using fiberglass boards to insulate and ensure the NHL quality-ice is maintained, with refrigeration from below, the ice surface is completely covered in just under 75 minutes.

"While they're putting the floor in, we can take away the retractable seating," explained Rogers Place Event Manager, Andrea Carroll Papirny.

With more than 16 years of experience in the Live Entertainment industry guiding her, Papirny stresses the importance of planning and utilizing time wisely.

In the case of Garth Brooks, the tour was expected to arrive a few short hours after the Oilers-Flyers game was wrapping up on the night of Thursday, February 16.

"There are lots of moving parts. There's the conversions crew, the housekeeping crew, and the food and beverage team," said Papirny. "Typically we allot six hours to convert from the ice to concert mode."
https://www.nhl.com/oilers/indepth/all-hands-on-deck

McHilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 02:28 PM
  #66
MoneyGuy
Registered User
 
MoneyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,466
vCash: 500
Is it my imagination or is Rogers a fair bit colder than Rexall was. I think they're trying to cut down on the heating bills.

MoneyGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 02:29 PM
  #67
Hugo McStiglitz
5-14-6-1
 
Hugo McStiglitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Is it my imagination or is Rogers a fair bit colder than Rexall was. I think they're trying to cut down on the heating bills.
Yeah, it's freezing in there. I've heard it's to help keep the ice half decent since it's apparently awful.

Hugo McStiglitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 02:31 PM
  #68
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,242
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo McStiglitz View Post
Yeah, it's freezing in there. I've heard it's to help keep the ice half decent since it's apparently awful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Is it my imagination or is Rogers a fair bit colder than Rexall was. I think they're trying to cut down on the heating bills.
I agree.
I found it cold and drafty. Great description for a beer...not so good for a building.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 05:37 PM
  #69
rboomercat90
Registered User
 
rboomercat90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,586
vCash: 50
Drove past the arena the other day and noticed there isn't much sunlight around there anymore. Those sky scrapers are starting to get pretty tall.

rboomercat90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 06:12 PM
  #70
Dorian2
Positional Bias.
 
Dorian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,038
vCash: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
.
.
.
.

and dorian, why isn't this a valid complaint? it's not an issue in the past, but an issue now. "you can tell me to get over it, suck it up, that's the way it is", but doesn't mean it's right, or fair to people.

the only thing I shouldn't have brought up is the taxpayer funded comment.
but I do think everyone should get a fair chance to purchase concert tickets and it shouldn't be a right granted to seat holders. suite holders perhaps, but not seat holders.
Actually, everyone does have a fair chance to purchase seats....at least in my experience. I join the particular bands fan club and site. Many bands (in my realm of music anyways), will send you an email or post the pre sale code for you to use before the general public are able to purchase tickets. I've done the extra due diligence by signing up to allow myself the option of doing that. And don't get me wrong, I've been burned by the way tickets are generally handled before for concerts that I've wanted good seats to. That's more of a ticket master issue than the arena itself from what I understand though.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 12:17 PM
  #71
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Actually, everyone does have a fair chance to purchase seats....at least in my experience. I join the particular bands fan club and site. Many bands (in my realm of music anyways), will send you an email or post the pre sale code for you to use before the general public are able to purchase tickets. I've done the extra due diligence by signing up to allow myself the option of doing that. And don't get me wrong, I've been burned by the way tickets are generally handled before for concerts that I've wanted good seats to. That's more of a ticket master issue than the arena itself from what I understand though.
Exactly. I have nothing against the arena, Rogers Place, the Oilers, Garth Brooks, etc. Only TM. A bunch of *******.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 12:20 PM
  #72
McJadeddog
Registered User
 
McJadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 14,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Ah...okay. Now that I think about it I am quite sure that most private arena suites in Canada have first access to concerts and other events.
every suite that i have knowledge of does indeed have first shot at ANY event in that arena... this obviously includes concerts

McJadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 12:23 PM
  #73
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 28,184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
Drove past the arena the other day and noticed there isn't much sunlight around there anymore. Those sky scrapers are starting to get pretty tall.
Edmonton will finally get the concrete jungle it deserves.

I mean that in a good way.

__________________

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 12:29 PM
  #74
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Edmonton will finally get the concrete jungle it deserves.

I mean that in a good way.
A lot better than when they used to pave paradise, and put up a parking lot.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 12:46 PM
  #75
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
 
Diamondillium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,804
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
Drove past the arena the other day and noticed there isn't much sunlight around there anymore. Those sky scrapers are starting to get pretty tall.
Our towers will block out the sun!

Diamondillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.