HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rogers arena:3: the search for perfection

Old
03-07-2017, 01:16 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Edmonton will finally get the concrete jungle it deserves.

I mean that in a good way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
A lot better than when they used to pave paradise, and put up a parking lot.

Between these 2 posts there is a mountain of gold and opportunity with which to post stuff....which I will refrain from for fear of getting banned forever.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 01:23 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Between these 2 posts there is a mountain of gold and opportunity with which to post stuff....which I will refrain from for fear of getting banned forever.

Come at me bro.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 11:31 PM
TheNumber4

Can we come up with a better name for our new arena? I hate the name Rogers Place, it's corporatized and as generic as it gets. I catch myself sometimes accidently sayings Rogers Arena or Rogers Center cause its damn generic. Full disclosure: I also hate Rogers the company, every single facet of that organization I hate, and i'd love for some of their advertising dollars to goto waste if we can come up with a good and fitting name:

My suggestions:
1) Chrome Dome - Building is surrounded in shiny metal. It rhymes and rolls off the tongue.
2) Future Dome - Most futuristic building in the league by far. But it's a name that my not last as it ages.
3) The Oil Drop - Due to its shape, but it doesn't really scream arena name.

TheNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 11:38 PM
McHilman

It should be pretty easy to remember as the old arena was Rexall Place.

McHilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2017, 12:02 AM
TheNumber4

Wait why is this thread titled Rogers Arena?

TheNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2017, 12:07 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNumber4 View Post
I think its the JTS factor.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2017, 08:39 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 2627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo McStiglitz View Post
Yeah, it's freezing in there. I've heard it's to help keep the ice half decent since it's apparently awful.
I think you have to find the previous thread, but this was discussed about how they are trying to figure out how to get the best ice possible. A lot more air flow than the previous barn as well.

The one scary part will be how the fix things as the outdoor temperature starts to rise.

It's quite the science and the league has started something now that asks players after games to do a poll on what the ice was like as across the league there are issues.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2017, 08:40 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 2627
Quote:
Can we come up with a better name for our new arena? I hate the name Rogers Place, it's corporatized and as generic as it gets. I catch myself sometimes accidently sayings Rogers Arena or Rogers Center cause its damn generic. Full disclosure: I also hate Rogers the company, every single facet of that organization I hate, and i'd love for some of their advertising dollars to goto waste if we can come up with a good and fitting name:

My suggestions:
1) Chrome Dome - Building is surrounded in shiny metal. It rhymes and rolls off the tongue.
2) Future Dome - Most futuristic building in the league by far. But it's a name that my not last as it ages.
3) The Oil Drop - Due to its shape, but it doesn't really scream arena name.
About the only way it will change is if you buck up and pay for advertising yourself. If it's not Rogers Place then it's some other corporate name.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2017, 09:08 AM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Rogers arena is grammatically correct; Rogers Arena would not be.

MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2017, 09:19 AM
McCanovin
1% is the new 11.5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Rogers arena is grammatically correct; Rogers Arena would not be.
Shouldn't it be the other way around?

McCanovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2017, 09:28 AM
McHilman

Last edited by McHilman: 03-08-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old
03-08-2017, 09:36 AM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCanovin View Post
No.

Old
03-08-2017, 10:13 AM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCanovin View Post
Nope. His statement is correct. If it's Rogers Arena, it assumes we're talking about Rogers Arena, the arena in Vancouver. If it's Rogers arena, it can be interpreted as 'the arena with the Rogers name on it'. It's a bit of a technicality, but Rogers arena is a more correct descriptor to Rogers Place than Rogers Arena is.

To be fair though, we're talking about a thread that uses a colon followed by the thread number followed by another colon, so arguing grammar is a bit of a lost cause in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McHilman View Post

Another concert skipping Calgary
Everyone skips Calgary nowadays, even teams' effort levels on road trips.

Diamondillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2017, 10:53 AM
CantHaveTkachev
no joke of a team

vCash: 117
can we re-name Rogers Place "the Morgue"?

I've been to funeral's that were more lively

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2017, 03:51 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantHaveTkachev View Post
can we re-name Rogers Place "the Morgue"?

I've been to funeral's that were more lively
Just as an add on, I haven't been to a game there. But the first time Nashville played here, I went to their boards and a poster from Nashville said he went to the game. I'm assuming the poster was visiting here.

He said it was sterile.

I cringed when I read that. Doesn't put the arena in a very good light for hockey fans from other places I'd imagine. Is anyone even allowed to make a peep in Rogers arena? Never hear any drums, horns, anything resembling what a sports event should sound like there.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2017, 05:27 PM
McHilman

Old
03-08-2017, 05:30 PM
NeverForget06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Just as an add on, I haven't been to a game there. But the first time Nashville played here, I went to their boards and a poster from Nashville said he went to the game. I'm assuming the poster was visiting here.

He said it was sterile.

I cringed when I read that. Doesn't put the arena in a very good light for hockey fans from other places I'd imagine. Is anyone even allowed to make a peep in Rogers arena? Never hear any drums, horns, anything resembling what a sports event should sound like there.
They have that drum guy from Rexall from time to time... but I really think its a price thing. Or perhaps businesses that have had season seats actually have business people who go to see Rogers for the first time... rather than in the past where there was really no incentive to go and see Oilers games.

Another thing... with all this new business surrounding Rogers and the strengthening of the downtown core.... Oilers games are much more of a social event than in years past. Instead of having to catch the train all the way to Rexall the rink is now just a few stops or blocks from most big corporate offices. Plus many different nightlife spots to go to right after the game.

Hopefully once everyone has gotten to see their one game things will return to normal.

NeverForget06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2017, 05:36 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverForget06 View Post
They have that drum guy from Rexall from time to time... but I really think its a price thing. Or perhaps businesses that have had season seats actually have business people who go to see Rogers for the first time... rather than in the past where there was really no incentive to go and see Oilers games.

Another thing... with all this new business at Rogers and the strengthening of the downtown core.... Oilers games are much more of a social event than in years past. Instead of having to catch the train all the way to Rexall the rink is now just a few stops or blocks from most big corporate offices. Plus many different nightlife spots to go to right after the game.

Hopefully once everyone has gotten to see their one game things will return to normal.
Welcome to the new normal. The old Rexall Place energy is gone mainly because this is now a much more corporate environment as opposed to a 'Joe' fan environment.
The pricing and the way the building is segregated defines the clientele that attend games. The sheer vacuous layout of Rogers Place adds to the sterility as well. It may look pretty from the outside but sterile is exactly the feel it has inside. Not to my liking thats for sure. It will never be what Rexall was in that regard.
So IMO if you are waiting for Rogers to be like Rexall in terms of atmosphere you will be waiting a long long time.

Old
03-09-2017, 09:16 AM
Night Witch
X Clinched

Rexall Place had energy? Really? I've been to oh, about 1000 games (at least) since 1977. Not counting playoffs the majority of the games the fans in general are not and have never been that loud. There have always always been complaints the fans aren't loud and I've read about the "corporate fans" for decades. It's ********. Edmonton is a conservative educated hockey market and fans watch the games intently. It's nothing to do with Rogers Place or "corporate fans".

Night Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 09:28 AM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Witch View Post
Rexall Place had energy? Really? I've been to oh, about 1000 games (at least) since 1977. Not counting playoffs the majority of the games the fans in general are not and have never been that loud. There have always always been complaints the fans aren't loud and I've read about the "corporate fans" for decades. It's ********. Edmonton is a conservative educated hockey market and fans watch the games intently. It's nothing to do with Rogers Place or "corporate fans".
Yeah, Rexall hasn't had energy since 06 playoffs. Rogers doesn't have much energy currently, but I guarantee it will have playoff energy.

We're just simply a fanbase that doesn't get very loud until playoffs. Same as it's always been. I will say though, the last 2 games I went to at Rogers (upper deck, lower might be different), were significantly louder than any Rexall game I've been to in years.

Diamondillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 10:05 AM
MoneyGuy

I recommend earplugs for the first playoff game.

Old
03-09-2017, 10:34 AM
McHilman

Old
03-09-2017, 12:47 PM
McJadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I recommend earplugs for the first playoff game.
yeah, lets have this conversation in mid-april and see if the overall opinion is the same

McJadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 12:53 PM
Arpeggio

Rexall was always super quiet. This is not a Montreal or Chicago fanbase that gets up for every single game. Edmonton has always been a quiet regular season crowd, dating back to the dynasty years. Rexall was called the Library back in the 80s, and that's when the team was historically good.

The place will explode in the playoffs, just like it always has.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 01:24 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
Rexall was always super quiet. This is not a Montreal or Chicago fanbase that gets up for every single game. Edmonton has always been a quiet regular season crowd, dating back to the dynasty years. Rexall was called the Library back in the 80s, and that's when the team was historically good.

The place will explode in the playoffs, just like it always has.
Hopefully you are correct.
There was a more true fan based element in Rexall which IMO makes a difference.The fans were smart enough to cheer when it was warranted and not be distracted by 'just being at the event' like what happens at Rogers.
New technology plays a role in this as well as some people are constantly disconnected somewhat by what is going on around them because they are more concerned about their smartphone than they are about the event or the people around them.
I remember walking through a busy public park last summer with a friend and we realized that out of the hundreds of people there we were one of the very few not walking around looking at their smartphones. Hundreds of people disconnected from what is going on around them because they allowed themselves to be so distracted by the (Pokemon) information on their smartphone...troubling to say the least. The last concert I attended was diminished by this element as well. No less than 3 people in my general area were more interested in their phone than they were in the concert. They kept polluting the darkness by constantly texting (or whatever else they were doing) and annoying myself and others in the area. Finally someone spoke up and asked them to turn off the phone...the person sneered and reluctantly put it on their pocket.
So this is a new element when it comes to live events and its creating a subset of society that has the attention span of the dog in the movie UP. This is another layer of what this new 'connected' building serves up (which Rogers is so proud of) and it doesnt help the game experience at all IMO.
So we shall find out if Rogers tomb (as another Oiler fan I know coined it) can overcome these elements and shift what appears to be growing fan indifferent reputation.