HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rogers arena:3: the search for perfection

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-09-2017, 01:28 PM
  #101
rboomercat90
Registered User
 
rboomercat90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,661
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
Rexall was always super quiet. This is not a Montreal or Chicago fanbase that gets up for every single game. Edmonton has always been a quiet regular season crowd, dating back to the dynasty years. Rexall was called the Library back in the 80s, and that's when the team was historically good.

The place will explode in the playoffs, just like it always has.
Rexall was called the library in the days before alcohol sales were permitted. Places like Chicago, Boston and other American arenas were much louder back then because the fans were hammered. Once the booze sales started flowing here too the crowd got much louder, big surprise.

rboomercat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 01:31 PM
  #102
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Between these 2 posts there is a mountain of gold and opportunity with which to post stuff....which I will refrain from for fear of getting banned forever.

Bring it on!

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 01:32 PM
  #103
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McHilman View Post
Already looks better than the old bus station.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 01:49 PM
  #104
Aerchon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,895
vCash: 500
Went to an Oil Kings game there first. Sat in the Lower bowl, had a great time, think the place is awesome. Solid Fan support but quieter than rebels games I typically go to.

Went to the Oiler All Star Game. Sat on the main floor drink rail, had a great time, think the place is awesome. Tons of fan support and was loud.

Went to my first game recently against Detroit. Sat in the Upper bowl, had a great time, think the place is awesome... But I will bring up a few things:

-The Lower Bowl and the Upper have some acoustic separation so it is hard to time chants and join in as a group. There is far more corporate and just older less enthusiastic people there and also Edmonton is a quieter fan base. I do believe the playoffs and time will fix this to some extent but with prices so high and acoustics it will never be like Rexall was.

-Not enough washrooms. Although every arena I've gone to has a huge line up for Washrooms during intermissions etc and Rogers really isn't that much different than Rexall in this area. I was wondering if it would be quicker to just go down to the main concourse for washrooms?

-The arena is plain and "clinical" can describe it but I personally love simplicity in design and in arenas you really don't have a lot of flexibility. As arenas go it is very nice and well designed overall.

-I am afraid of heights so the steepness of the upper bowl, especially in the corner where we were, took a bit to get used to. But once you did the view is amazing. It's like you are right on top of the game. Seems way closer than Rexal did in the upper bowl. I didn't look at the jumbo screen unless it was something I missed behind the play or there was an advertisement. I would actually say for viewing the game the Upper bowl was better than the lower.

Just my 2 cents.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 02:07 PM
  #105
Tarus
FireChia#
 
Tarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,891
vCash: 500
I'm surprised it hasn't been posted yet.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...e-faulty-units

Might have something to do with why the ice is so bad.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 04:02 PM
  #106
McHilman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,639
vCash: 500

McHilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 05:08 PM
  #107
Night Witch
Lockout 2020
 
Night Witch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McJadeddog View Post
yeah, lets have this conversation in mid-april and see if the overall opinion is the same
As I said, playoffs are exempt from my comment about it always being a rather introspective crowd. Rexall was and always has been a nut house come playoff time. Rogers will be the same if not nuttier.

Night Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 05:12 PM
  #108
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McHilman View Post
Wonder if Carey's act will include some pole dancing?

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 05:13 PM
  #109
CantHaveTkachev
no joke of a team
 
CantHaveTkachev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. OILbert
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,643
vCash: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Witch View Post
As I said, playoffs are exempt from my comment about it always being a rather introspective crowd. Rexall was and always has been a nut house come playoff time. Rogers will be the same if not nuttier.
I wonder how much noise will be "retained" in Rogers Place though...Rexall was loud because of the design

hopefully Rogers will be similar

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 05:18 PM
  #110
Night Witch
Lockout 2020
 
Night Witch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Hopefully you are correct.
There was a more true fan based element in Rexall which IMO makes a difference.The fans were smart enough to cheer when it was warranted and not be distracted by 'just being at the event' like what happens at Rogers.
New technology plays a role in this as well as some people are constantly disconnected somewhat by what is going on around them because they are more concerned about their smartphone than they are about the event or the people around them.
I remember walking through a busy public park last summer with a friend and we realized that out of the hundreds of people there we were one of the very few not walking around looking at their smartphones. Hundreds of people disconnected from what is going on around them because they allowed themselves to be so distracted by the (Pokemon) information on their smartphone...troubling to say the least. The last concert I attended was diminished by this element as well. No less than 3 people in my general area were more interested in their phone than they were in the concert. They kept polluting the darkness by constantly texting (or whatever else they were doing) and annoying myself and others in the area. Finally someone spoke up and asked them to turn off the phone...the person sneered and reluctantly put it on their pocket.
So this is a new element when it comes to live events and its creating a subset of society that has the attention span of the dog in the movie UP. This is another layer of what this new 'connected' building serves up (which Rogers is so proud of) and it doesnt help the game experience at all IMO.
So we shall find out if Rogers tomb (as another Oiler fan I know coined it) can overcome these elements and shift what appears to be growing fan indifferent reputation.
There is absolutely zero difference in the "real fan based element" between the two rinks nor is there an "indifferent reputation", it's merely a quieter introspective crowd, and always has been. Reading your some of your posting history on Rogers it seems you may have a bias against the building, Katz and the "corporate fans". Fans are fans and cheer when happy, boo when mad, and all things in between. End of story, I wish people would stop trying to make more of it than what it is and blaming the evils of "corporate culture" on everything perceived as negative around the team, building and fans.

Night Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 05:19 PM
  #111
McHilman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Wonder if Carey's act will include some pole dancing?

McHilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 05:19 PM
  #112
Night Witch
Lockout 2020
 
Night Witch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantHaveTkachev View Post
I wonder how much noise will be "retained" in Rogers Place though...Rexall was loud because of the design

hopefully Rogers will be similar
It seems pretty loud to me and anyone I've taken says the same. I think once playoffs start the place will be rocking.

Edit - when the Oilers are playing like **** the building is quieter than when we are winning and filling the net. We have not played well at home this year either.

Night Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 09:12 PM
  #113
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,324
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Witch View Post
There is absolutely zero difference in the "real fan based element" between the two rinks nor is there an "indifferent reputation", it's merely a quieter introspective crowd, and always has been. Reading your some of your posting history on Rogers it seems you may have a bias against the building, Katz and the "corporate fans". Fans are fans and cheer when happy, boo when mad, and all things in between. End of story, I wish people would stop trying to make more of it than what it is and blaming the evils of "corporate culture" on everything perceived as negative around the team, building and fans.
Yeah your comment about me not liking Rogers is nonsense and as for the rest of your post I completely disagree. Its easy to retort that legitimate critiques are nothing but a product of being biased.
There are a multitude of things I like better at Rogers...a few are the uncrowded corridors...much much better food options....the downtown location (which is something I have advocated for the past 10 years on this board).

Regarding the rest of your post...whether you want to believe it or not there is a distinct difference between a corporate crowd and any other type of crowd....and it has nothing what so ever to do with the 'evils of corporate culture'.
It simply has to do with the reality of how emotionally invested an individual is. I dont think I need to go into detail about what that means...the comparison of a corporate client gifted tickets and joe six pack buying his own tickets should be obvious.
Also the technological differences that have opened the door for more avenues of distraction is a reality that is much more prevalent at Rogers than it had been at Rexall over the years. Not the fault of Rogers per say but a simply observation about how technology is separating us from our immediate environment...a discussion for another thread perhaps but it still affects how quiet the crowds have become.
So IMO this isn't nearly as simplistic as you are trying to suggest.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 11:22 PM
  #114
Night Witch
Lockout 2020
 
Night Witch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Yeah your comment about me not liking Rogers is nonsense and as for the rest of your post I completely disagree. Its easy to retort that legitimate critiques are nothing but a product of being biased.
There are a multitude of things I like better at Rogers...a few are the uncrowded corridors...much much better food options....the downtown location (which is something I have advocated for the past 10 years on this board).

Regarding the rest of your post...whether you want to believe it or not there is a distinct difference between a corporate crowd and any other type of crowd....and it has nothing what so ever to do with the 'evils of corporate culture'.
It simply has to do with the reality of how emotionally invested an individual is. I dont think I need to go into detail about what that means...the comparison of a corporate client gifted tickets and joe six pack buying his own tickets should be obvious.
Also the technological differences that have opened the door for more avenues of distraction is a reality that is much more prevalent at Rogers than it had been at Rexall over the years. Not the fault of Rogers per say but a simply observation about how technology is separating us from our immediate environment...a discussion for another thread perhaps but it still affects how quiet the crowds have become.
So IMO this isn't nearly as simplistic as you are trying to suggest.
Legitimate in your eyes I suppose. In any case your the one who has (repeatedly) stated that the crowds have become quiet. I disagree and was there in the 70's, 80's, 90's, 2000's and this decade. My point is that the crowds are no quieter or louder than they were in Rexall, disregarding playoffs. You have made several points to corporate culture or whatever you want to call it.
Joe Six Pack is louder than "Corporate Gifted Ticket Goer"? Yeah, ok.... maybe he's drunker. If you call that more emotionally invested then your the one with the simplistic viewpoint.

Night Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 11:49 PM
  #115
Del McPreston
Registered User
 
Del McPreston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,331
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Wonder if Carey's act will include some pole dancing?
If her New Year's Eve performance is any indication, she won't be singing.

Del McPreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2017, 12:11 AM
  #116
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,324
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Witch View Post
Legitimate in your eyes I suppose. In any case your the one who has (repeatedly) stated that the crowds have become quiet. I disagree and was there in the 70's, 80's, 90's, 2000's and this decade. My point is that the crowds are no quieter or louder than they were in Rexall, disregarding playoffs. You have made several points to corporate culture or whatever you want to call it.
Joe Six Pack is louder than "Corporate Gifted Ticket Goer"? Yeah, ok.... maybe he's drunker. If you call that more emotionally invested then your the one with the simplistic viewpoint.
Yeah...you glossed over much of what I said.

Its cool...best if we agree to disagree and move on.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2017, 12:17 AM
  #117
hugeegosorry
Registered User
 
hugeegosorry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,121
vCash: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Witch View Post
It seems pretty loud to me and anyone I've taken says the same. I think once playoffs start the place will be rocking.

Edit - when the Oilers are playing like **** the building is quieter than when we are winning and filling the net. We have not played well at home this year either.
Even TMac said it was quiet at Rogers.

hugeegosorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2017, 12:33 AM
  #118
Night Witch
Lockout 2020
 
Night Witch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugeegosorry View Post
Even TMac said it was quiet at Rogers.
I totally agree it is quiet compared to many rinks. That said, so was Rexall.
I am just stating a counterpoint to the many posts which seem to state that it is quieter than Rexall and that much of the blame for that is set at corporate ticket goers and those gifted the seats. Fake News LOL!!

Night Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2017, 12:34 AM
  #119
Night Witch
Lockout 2020
 
Night Witch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Yeah...you glossed over much of what I said.

Its cool...best if we agree to disagree and move on.
Fine by me, I just wish many posters would get off the "corporate ticket holder" bs.

Night Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2017, 12:40 AM
  #120
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,324
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Witch View Post
Fine by me, I just wish many posters would get off the "corporate ticket holder" bs.
Its only BS to you...for reasons only you understand. That was evident by the way you glossed over my points on the matter.

No worries.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2017, 12:53 AM
  #121
goggog
Registered User
 
goggog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,691
vCash: 500
I can admit I am part of the problem. I'm too focused on the game to make a sound.
However, I'm obviously the loudest one there when we score

goggog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2017, 12:53 AM
  #122
hoove17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 77
vCash: 500
I'm not really sure how the new arena would have suddenly increased the amount of corporate fans by a significant amount. I knew a bunch of businesses that had regular 4 seats at Rexall. The only difference is they now have more corporate-like options in loge seats or lounge seats. Now most of them are sitting further from the ice instead of within the first 15 rows. You'd think that would help the atmosphere. Were there a whole bunch of businesses that wanted seats at Rexall but because of the limited options didn't get them and now have flooded into the new arena? I'd love to hear where all of these so called corporate fans have come from as most Edmonton-based companies have been getting rid of extras if anything, not all of a sudden buying up more Oiler's seats. I don't buy it.

hoove17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2017, 01:07 AM
  #123
KingKhron
Registered User
 
KingKhron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,733
vCash: 500
Amusingly enough, the tickets going for well below cost in the lower bowl are noticeably rowdier and frankly, more intoxicated. So I think there's something to be said about the lower wealth class fan being priced out of the lower bowl mainly and they are more passionate/drunk then the average wealthy person or corporate seats where the people going are representatives of their company. The seats beside me are Big Rock's seats. They're not going to go and get ****faced and make a spectacle when people know who they are representing. It's unfortunate that they had to shrink the upper bowl so much by making a giant and expensive lower bowl and a giant section of loge, theatre box, luxury box,etc. seats. I know I haven't gone to a single game with my upper bowl tickets yet because they always sell and never below cost. Lower bowl sell below cost half of the games.

KingKhron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2017, 01:12 AM
  #124
KingKhron
Registered User
 
KingKhron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,733
vCash: 500
And to touch on the conversation on the first couple pages, **** Ticketmaster. They charge a 35% markup on their NHL resale site and are why the games are so expensive for people to go to. By the time they get their greedy hands on my upper bowl seats, they practically cost people what my lower bowl costs me. If their was a true way for fans to get tickets to fans for a small percentage mark up, it would be amazing to cut out those greedy a-holes. Plus, an underground expose in Europe had journalists plant themselves in Ticketmaster and discover that they in fact do use bots to scoop up a ton of their own tickets where they resell them for a massive markup on their resale site and make that 35%. I'm convinced it's what happened with the Hip shows and so many others.

KingKhron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2017, 01:15 AM
  #125
Night Witch
Lockout 2020
 
Night Witch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,951
vCash: 500
The corporate guys behind and beside me constantly get plowed, or I assume it's their customers getting plowed, and they are noisy, and sometimes obnoxious as hell.

I don't care if your "Joe 6 Pak" or "Evil Corporate Greed", if you like to drink and cheer, or just like to cheer and be heard, you will do it. If your the quiet introspective type who cheers only the big plays you will do it. It doesn't matter what your occupation is, how much your tickets cost, if they were gifted to you or you paid for them with your hard earned money.

People are people yet some here insist on categorizing them and putting blame for something that is not a problem on the "corporate crowd" which is pure bull shot.

Night Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.