HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Proposal:Witt to Col?

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2006, 02:36 AM
borro

vCash: 500
Proposal:Witt to Col?

With Vaananen out, Witt could stabilize the Colorado defense. How about Witt for Col #1? Interested?

Old
02-06-2006, 04:15 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by borro
With Vaananen out, Witt could stabilize the Colorado defense. How about Witt for Col #1? Interested?

Witt is an impending UFA. The Preds paid a 3rd for a full season of Markov, who I feel is a notch above Witt. I don't see Witt bringing back a first rounder, even a late one.

Old
02-06-2006, 04:23 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Quote:
Has his stock risen or something? There are other d-man in the league I would rather give a 1st rounder for.

Old
02-06-2006, 04:35 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Yeah I offer a 3rd for Witt. I could get talked up to Witt and a lower prospect like Parshin.

Old
02-06-2006, 10:46 AM
CapsCrazyX17

Not saying it's gonna happen but playoff bound teams in need of a defenseman will tend to overpay near the trade deadline. If Colorado really is looking to add a defenseman then competition from teams like the Preds will drive Witt's price up. Maybe not to a first round pick, but you never know.

Old
02-06-2006, 10:49 AM
borro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice berg slim
Has his stock risen or something? There are other d-man in the league I would rather give a 1st rounder for.
Witt has been playing great and is also doing a great job mentoring the kids. He has been the subject of lots of inquiries (12+ supposedly). I believe we have already been offered a 2nd for him so no, he will get more than a third. I was hoping he would change his mind and resign. He still has not rescended his trade request.

Markov was a salary dump plain and simple. It was not about his value. The Caps would probably include Witt in a package for a future goalie but other than that I see a #1 and they use that for Bernier, Sauer or Berra.

Old
02-06-2006, 11:22 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Witt has been playing great and is also doing a great job mentoring the kids. He has been the subject of lots of inquiries (12+ supposedly). I believe we have already been offered a 2nd for him so no, he will get more than a third. I was hoping he would change his mind and resign. He still has not rescended his trade request.

Markov was a salary dump plain and simple. It was not about his value. The Caps would probably include Witt in a package for a future goalie but other than that I see a #1 and they use that for Bernier, Sauer or Berra.
nobody should ever offer a 1st for Witt, unless they are insane. ...if a 2nd was offered, they should have jumped at it ...but as teams get desperate at trade deadline time, you never know what can happen.

Old
02-06-2006, 11:26 AM
borro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte
nobody should ever offer a 1st for Witt, unless they are insane. ...if a 2nd was offered, they should have jumped at it ...but as teams get desperate at trade deadline time, you never know what can happen.
Bobby Clarke has asked about Witt just about every year supposedly at trade dealine time. Perfect fit stylewise. I think he'd be outstanding on the Flyers. The only drawback is he'd kill us way too often. Ideally, they'd like to move Witt out of conference.

Old
02-06-2006, 11:38 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Bobby Clarke has asked about Witt just about every year supposedly at trade dealine time.
Do you have a link for this information?

And please...for the love of everything holy...stop thinking/proposing that the Caps are going to get a 1st rounder for Witt. Why do you continue to do this?

Old
02-06-2006, 11:57 AM
borro

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout
Do you have a link for this information?

And please...for the love of everything holy...stop thinking/proposing that the Caps are going to get a 1st rounder for Witt. Why do you continue to do this?
How many physical dmen are out there? Salei-coming off an injury that could limit his physical play, and not as good as Witt when he is healthy. Maybe he gets less. That is what I think he will get. If we wanted a 2nd, don't you think he'd be in Vancover, Nashville or Colorado already? Even Edmonton would gladly give that. people quote Markov and it's a distorted situation, the Caps don't have to get rid of Witt for salary reasons. He is one of the FEW assets they have and they will milk it. My opinion. I guess unlike others I am NOT entitled to it.

Old
02-06-2006, 12:14 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
Quote:
How many physical dmen are out there? Salei-coming off an injury that could limit his physical play, and not as good as Witt when he is healthy. Maybe he gets less. That is what I think he will get. If we wanted a 2nd, don't you think he'd be in Vancover, Nashville or Colorado already? Even Edmonton would gladly give that. people quote Markov and it's a distorted situation, the Caps don't have to get rid of Witt for salary reasons. He is one of the FEW assets they have and they will milk it. My opinion. I guess unlike others I am NOT entitled to it.

No, you just give your opinions that are just out in left field.

There is a reason 99% of your threads with trade ideas people say no.

I am a homer, however even I can see that your proposals are typically BAD.

Old
02-06-2006, 12:18 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
How many physical dmen are out there? Salei-coming off an injury that could limit his physical play, and not as good as Witt when he is healthy.
Salei's injury is not likely to affect his physical play very much. It's not like he uses his face for mobilty or hitting. As for Witt being better than Salei, not IMO. Salei's more mobile, a better skater, and better defensively. I'd take Salei over Witt easily.

Quote:
If we wanted a 2nd, don't you think he'd be in Vancover, Nashville or Colorado already? Even Edmonton would gladly give that.
Not neccessarily. There's a thing called a salary cap that teams have to abide by. Why trade for a player now, who's going to affect your cap immediately, when you have to pay him for two weeks to sit during the olympics? Teams near the cap ceiling will trade for depth after the olympics not before.

Quote:
People quote Markov and it's a distorted situation, the Caps don't have to get rid of Witt for salary reasons. He is one of the FEW assets they have and they will milk it. My opinion. I guess unlike others I am NOT entitled to it.
Maybe so, but the Caps have to trade Witt or lose him for nothing. Other teams know this and will use it to their advantage.

Old
02-06-2006, 12:24 PM
borro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
Salei's injury is not likely to affect his physical play very much. It's not like he uses his face for mobilty or hitting. As for Witt being better than Salei, not IMO. Salei's more mobile, a better skater, and better defensively. I'd take Salei over Witt easily.

Not neccessarily. There's a thing called a salary cap that teams have to abide by. Why trade for a player now, who's going to affect your cap immediately, when you have to pay him for two weeks to sit during the olympics? Teams near the cap ceiling will trade for depth after the olympics not before.

Maybe so, but the Caps have to trade Witt or lose him for nothing. Other teams know this and will use it to their advantage.
Usually, this is easily overcome by a conditional pick being offered the other way if they fail to resign him. That offers some insurance for those who are not confident in their organizations. Clarke made no such demands in the Oates deal. In the Nylander deal, we got compensation for him not being resigned.

The Caps have been notorious for being perhaps the worst negotiators in the league. I don't believe Witt would be an issue prob settle at 1.9 or 2 M for 3 years.

Old
02-06-2006, 12:25 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Usually, this is easily overcome by a conditional pick being offered the other way if they fail to resign him. That offers some insurance for those who are not confident in their organizations. Clarke made no such demands in the Oates deal. In the Nylander deal, we got compensation for him not being resigned.

The Caps have been notorious for being perhaps the worst negotiators in the league. I don't believe Witt would be an issue prob settle at 1.9 or 2 M for 3 years.
How does this pertain to my post?

Old
02-06-2006, 12:33 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

I can't wait until Witt is ACTUALLY traded. borro will have a nervous breakdown.

Old
02-06-2006, 12:36 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

If it would clam him up for good on the boards, I'd settle for a 7th rounder as return.

Old
02-06-2006, 12:37 PM
Marshall
Too right, man.

Word.

Old
02-06-2006, 12:45 PM
Belgican

Is Witt really that an upgrade over Sauer ?

Old
02-06-2006, 01:08 PM
borro

Quote:
How does this pertain to my post?
You said:Maybe so, but the Caps have to trade Witt or lose him for nothing. Other teams know this and will use it to their advantage.

I said that a conditional pick should satisfy the fear that they will lose him after the season.

The fact is, the Caps could decide to try to resign him. Even if only for 1 year, it would give a chance to develop Pokulok and others. Trading or losing him is in fact NOT their only option.

Old
02-06-2006, 01:13 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
You said:Maybe so, but the Caps have to trade Witt or lose him for nothing. Other teams know this and will use it to their advantage.

I said that a conditional pick should satisfy the fear that they will lose him after the season.
I was referring to the Caps having to trade him for whatever they can get or risk losing him for nothing. Witt has made it very clear he wants out of Washington, and with him being an UFA at seasons end, every team interested in Witt knows that McPhee either has to deal him for whatever, or get nothing in return. That's not an advantage for McPhee.

The only way I can see Witt being dealt for a 1st round pick is if it is conditional. 1st rounder if Witt is re-signed, 2nd if he is not.

Quote:
The fact is, the Caps could decide to try to resign him. Even if only for 1 year, it would give a chance to develop Pokulok and others. Trading or losing him is in fact NOT their only option.
Unless Washington overpays, why would Witt re-sign? You make it seem like it's easy to re-sign a soon to be UFA that want's to leave the team. Far from reality.

Old
02-06-2006, 01:16 PM
Atlas

This idea isn't crazy on the condition that Witt signs a 3 year deal with his new team. GMGM has had all season to talk with teams interested in Witt and if anyone is interested in him for this year's playoffs and want him long-term a late #1 pick seems reasonable. I think a young roster player is more likely though. Someone solid but unspectacular.

I'm not a fan of Witt but, at his best, he is a physical defenseman that is very hard to hard to beat. If he wants to play, that is.

My guess is he goes to Detroit.

Old
02-06-2006, 01:30 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588
If it would clam him up for good on the boards, I'd settle for a 7th rounder as return.

No, he has retired before, but that didn't last.

It might send him into overdrive.

Old
02-06-2006, 01:51 PM
borro

Quote:
I was referring to the Caps having to trade him for whatever they can get or risk losing him for nothing. Witt has made it very clear he wants out of Washington, and with him being an UFA at seasons end, every team interested in Witt knows that McPhee either has to deal him for whatever, or get nothing in return. That's not an advantage for McPhee.

The only way I can see Witt being dealt for a 1st round pick is if it is conditional. 1st rounder if Witt is re-signed, 2nd if he is not.

I think that would be a very fair return Peter! Good idea

Unless Washington overpays, why would Witt re-sign? You make it seem like it's easy to re-sign a soon to be UFA that want's to leave the team. Far from reality.
The team has been serenading Witt with "One More year" chants. AO has been talking to Witt about staying. Kolzig supposedly lives with Witt and likely would be doing the same. I do see a possibility he agrees to stay. Not likely, but possible.

Old
02-06-2006, 01:53 PM
borro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt
This idea isn't crazy on the condition that Witt signs a 3 year deal with his new team. GMGM has had all season to talk with teams interested in Witt and if anyone is interested in him for this year's playoffs and want him long-term a late #1 pick seems reasonable. I think a young roster player is more likely though. Someone solid but unspectacular.

I'm not a fan of Witt but, at his best, he is a physical defenseman that is very hard to hard to beat. If he wants to play, that is.

My guess is he goes to Detroit.
I thought Detroit already would have made an offer. If Colorado is a buyer, they make even more sense and the Caps have a history of making deals with Colorado. Detroit would be a great option for Witt.

Old
02-06-2006, 01:55 PM
borro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
I can't wait until Witt is ACTUALLY traded. borro will have a nervous breakdown.
Nah! I still have Friesen to peddle, then I can have my breakdown!
:]

Closed Thread