HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

soloution to nucks bacup problem

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-06-2006, 02:08 PM
  #1
DRL
Streak killers!
 
DRL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,170
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
soloution to nucks bacup problem

why dont they call up flaherty, if bos can bring up thomas and stl can bring up lalime, 2 goalies who are better than, then wats stopping nonis?

or trade some picks for one of the guys mentioned, im sure thomas will be going back down once toivinen is healthy, why not pitch for thomas?

DRL is offline  
Old
02-06-2006, 02:11 PM
  #2
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,902
vCash: 500
I think what's stopping Nonis is the salary cap situation.

the canucks have 4 more games - and 2 nights off in between each game - before a 2week Olympic break. Why bring up anyone right now and take up any bit of cap space at all, when they could wait until after the Olympics?

for any team that is trying to gain every little bit of room under the cap before the deadline, it doesn't make sense to jump into trades right now, nor does it make sense to add players in backup spots when they only have 4 games to go, and they could write off another month of paying salary.

NFITO is offline  
Old
02-06-2006, 02:44 PM
  #3
Irish Blues
____________________
 
Irish Blues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: St Helena
Posts: 21,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
I think what's stopping Nonis is the salary cap situation.

the canucks have 4 more games - and 2 nights off in between each game - before a 2week Olympic break. Why bring up anyone right now and take up any bit of cap space at all, when they could wait until after the Olympics?

for any team that is trying to gain every little bit of room under the cap before the deadline, it doesn't make sense to jump into trades right now, nor does it make sense to add players in backup spots when they only have 4 games to go, and they could write off another month of paying salary.
Wouldn't Flaherty count less than Ouellet (who I think is either $858K or $877K)? If so, then it makes all kinds of sense to make that move.

__________________
No promises this time.
Irish Blues is offline  
Old
02-06-2006, 02:46 PM
  #4
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
Wouldn't Flaherty count less than Ouellet (who I think is either $858K or $877K)? If so, then it makes all kinds of sense to make that move.
Yep, Flaherty I think would make around $500,000 at the NHL level. The only thing preventing Nonis from recalling Flaherty is recall waivers, but I doubt anyone would claim a 37 year old career AHL'er. Nobody claimed Tim Thomas who is younger and has just as much success of late at the minor league level as Flaherty.

Peter Griffin is offline  
Old
02-06-2006, 02:49 PM
  #5
NewBreed19
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Cujo is not a back up, so he won't fit. I suspect that anyone who gets Cujo for the playoffs, will play him more than he sits. The Nhl playoff year 03/04, Cujo lead all goalies with the best save % and GAA. He didn't win the cup , but it wasn't because of him. He will and is in demand, come now and before the deadline. I'am still not postitive that Phoenix isn't going to re-sign him with the dealing of Boucher.

 
Old
02-06-2006, 02:51 PM
  #6
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBreed19
Cujo is not a back up, so he won't fit. I suspect that anyone who gets Cujo for the playoffs, will play him more than he sits. The Nhl playoff year 03/04, Cujo lead all goalies with the best save % and GAA. He didn't win the cup , but it wasn't because of him. He will and is in demand, come now and before the deadline. I'am still not postitive that Phoenix isn't going to re-sign him with the dealing of Boucher.
why bring Cujo up in this thread, since he was not the topic of discussion, rather Flaherty and recalling him from the minors... no one suggested that Cujo would be a backup option here.

still trying to sell of Cujo? might be more relevant though to talk about him in a more appropriate thread.

NFITO is offline  
Old
02-06-2006, 02:54 PM
  #7
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
Wouldn't Flaherty count less than Ouellet (who I think is either $858K or $877K)? If so, then it makes all kinds of sense to make that move.
if the canucks can bring up Flaherty and send Ouellet down, while saving money - then it's a good idea to do just that.

Don't know why Nonis hasn't considered this, unless he's got more insider info that someone is infact interested in Flaherty - maybe just to hurt the canucks... if Flaherty gets picked up on waivers, then the canucks would end up using cap space watching him go to another team.

NFITO is offline  
Old
02-06-2006, 02:56 PM
  #8
NewBreed19
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
why bring Cujo up in this thread, since he was not the topic of discussion, rather Flaherty and recalling him from the minors... no one suggested that Cujo would be a backup option here.

still trying to sell of Cujo? might be more relevant though to talk about him in a more appropriate thread.
Why? Because he has a decent salary, which is why Nonis will probably inquire about him. I just don't think he would be the backup though. On Spectors hockey. com , it states Vancouver is in pursuit of Joseph and Toskala. This is why I brought it up, because it is about Vancouver's goaltending needs.

 
Old
02-06-2006, 03:04 PM
  #9
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBreed19
Why? Because he has a decent salary, which is why Nonis will probably inquire about him. I just don't think he would be the backup though. On Spectors hockey. com , it states Vancouver is in pursuit of Joseph and Toskala. This is why I brought it up, because it is about Vancouver's goaltending needs.
it's about a backup option for Vancouver... not just vancouver goaltending needs.

I don't think that the canucks would acquire Joseph as a backup... I don't think that Nonis would acquire him as a backup either. At the very least he'd be splitting time with Auld and be more the #1A goalie.

but for a backup option, he's not a good option there.... you don't spend that much on a backup (with his bonuses on his contract), nor would you give up the assets that Phoenix would want, only to use him as a rental backup.

Backup goalies - more likely guys like Noronen or Toskala - guys that could challenge Auld for the starting job, but wouldn't come in as a #1A goalie like Joseph would, and would take up less cap space to add (which is a key considering you're adding in a backup role).

If this thread is really just about backup options, then Jospeh is not an option there and doesn't need to be brought up.

as for spectors... I wouldn't put too much stock into them... they've been reporting the canucks have been looking for a goalie for 4 yrs now - and every time Burke has always said that Cloutier was their starter and wasn't looking for anything different... no surprise that they're suggesting that the canucks are still looking for a goalie now (although it makes much more sense now given the situation), but it's still more an assumption by the writers there, than any insider information they may have.

NFITO is offline  
Old
02-06-2006, 03:15 PM
  #10
Abyss
GO BRUINS
 
Abyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 5,758
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Abyss Send a message via MSN to Abyss
Toivonen comes back, I would think Raycroft gets traded not Thomas. Trading Thomas will deflate this team as someone said on the Bruins board.

I doubt he gets trade "for a couple of picks"

Abyss is offline  
Old
02-06-2006, 03:19 PM
  #11
19nazzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 17,197
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
if the canucks can bring up Flaherty and send Ouellet down, while saving money - then it's a good idea to do just that.

Don't know why Nonis hasn't considered this, unless he's got more insider info that someone is infact interested in Flaherty - maybe just to hurt the canucks... if Flaherty gets picked up on waivers, then the canucks would end up using cap space watching him go to another team.
It's the recall waivers thing which would end up costing more if Flaherty got claimed. Not only would they have half his salary on the books, but then the'll have to be paying Ouellet as well.

I'd bet if there wasn't recall waivers we'd have seen Flaherty up already.

19nazzy is offline  
Old
02-06-2006, 03:27 PM
  #12
Irish Blues
____________________
 
Irish Blues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: St Helena
Posts: 21,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBreed19
Why? Because he has a decent salary, which is why Nonis will probably inquire about him. I just don't think he would be the backup though. On Spectors hockey. com , it states Vancouver is in pursuit of Joseph and Toskala. This is why I brought it up, because it is about Vancouver's goaltending needs.
His salary may be decent. His cap number is $2.2 million because there are possible bonuses he could earn tied to playoff performance; those bonuses can't be ignored while the season is going on. If he went to Vancouver, those bonuses would certainly come into play and the Canucks couldn't just waive their hands and make them go away.

Irish Blues is offline  
Old
02-06-2006, 05:51 PM
  #13
Guest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 5,304
vCash: 500
I think part of the reason you won't see teams like Vancouver who are up against the cap make a move like recalling Flaherty when he has to clear recall waivers is that if someone did claim Flaherty, then the Canucks would be on the hook for 1/2 of his salary AND they would still have to find someone to take his spot. I think teams are trying to play it safe where they can without throwing away money potentially.

In the cases of St. Louis with Lalime and Boston with Taylor, they had the cap space available to easily absorb half of those tenders salaries, and St. Louis would have probably been happy for someone to make a claim for Lalime.

Guest is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.