HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prout to NJ for Kyle Quincey

Old
03-01-2017, 01:34 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

vCash: 500
Good for Prout. Hopefully he will get the playing time and be in a system he needs to get his game on track.

1857 Howitzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2017, 01:36 PM
Matt Foley
Meh

Good for Prout to get a chance somewhere else as he sure as hell wasn't going to get it here.

Matt Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2017, 01:37 PM
WhiteWings

You forgot his best moment as a Jacket. Thanks a lot for that, Dalton:

WhiteWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2017, 01:37 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJackets1 View Post
This is actually a good point. New Jersey might be just the sort of system he needs to be successful- although I haven't kept track of their style the past couple of years, so maybe it's different from what I think it is.
Most teams want mobile, puckmoving dmen these days. Having a guy who is defense-first on a pairing with a more offensive dman only works when that player can quickly get back to cover. That isn't Prout. There's far too many times Prout allowed players to get behind him in transition. His backward skating is so slow.

Prout seemed to panic when faced with quickly making breakout passes and that got worse if he was losing more and more confidence with the puck.

If he can simplify his game and focus on clearing people out of the crease and battling against the boards, then he can hopefully regain confidence with the puck.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2017, 01:39 PM
WannabeFinn
Duuuuuub?

If by "fitting into the Devils' system" people mean that he can add to their pile of garbage defenseman, yeah, he can do that. The only reason he'd get any playing time is because Greene is getting old as dirt and Severson can't do it all.

WannabeFinn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2017, 01:40 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWings View Post
You forgot his best moment as a Jacket. Thanks a lot for that, Dalton:

Good call.

Old
03-01-2017, 01:40 PM
GoJackets1
Someday.

I remember this while game very clearly for some reason (Chaput scored his first NHL goal), but I specifically remember Wilson being a huge ass the whole game and was hoping Prout would beat his ass. He did.

Edit: Nevermind about Morin- not even close.

GoJackets1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2017, 01:43 PM
nativecbj

Excited to see Quincey! And I wish Prout the best! Thanks for your time in Columbus!

nativecbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2017, 01:49 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoonesJenner View Post
So can we start giving Jarmo & Co. the credit they deserve?
When I was about 15 (many years ago), my father needed assistance replacing a part under the hood of his old Jeep. Since I was doing nothing and it was summertime, that fell to me.

At one point, he points to a nut that was mounted sideways on a bolt and tells me to loosen it, remove it, and not drop it. It was a pretty tight squeeze for me, and of course it goes without saying that I dropped the nut, which hit a hose, bounced off something else, and ended up settling in some unknown area deep in the engine.

At this point, he just walks away after telling me to get the (multiple expletive) nut one way or another. It took me over an hour to find where it had fallen, then rig up something to grab it and then actually extract it. I went back into the house and showed him that I had successfully retrieved it. He rolled his eyes and got out of his chair, and I (being me) made some smartass comment like, "What, you're not going to tell me how proud of me you are?"

He looks at me in much the same way that I'd imagine he'd look at me if I'd just whipped it out, and says, "I would say I'm proud of you if you had done something more than very slowly work your way out of a situation that was 100% your doing. Since you didn't do that, and you've only managed to get back to where we should have been in the first place if you hadn't messed it up, you get nothing."

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2017, 01:56 PM
ca5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
Literally not funny. Played out and lame.
So is the massive overuse of the word "literally" nowadays. (I agree with your post though)

ca5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2017, 01:58 PM
Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca5150 View Post
So is the massive overuse of the word "literally" nowadays. (I agree with your post though)
And unfortunately, a definition of "literally" has been added to the Oxford dictionary that basically means the opposite of literally. That was a sad day for me.

Monk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2017, 02:02 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Except I used it in its appropriate manner and circumstance. Literally.

You may also have noticed we had some fun with that post.

Double-Shift Lassé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2017, 02:02 PM
BoonesJenner

vCash: 250

BoonesJenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2017, 02:06 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
When I was about 15 (many years ago), my father needed assistance replacing a part under the hood of his old Jeep. Since I was doing nothing and it was summertime, that fell to me.

At one point, he points to a nut that was mounted sideways on a bolt and tells me to loosen it, remove it, and not drop it. It was a pretty tight squeeze for me, and of course it goes without saying that I dropped the nut, which hit a hose, bounced off something else, and ended up settling in some unknown area deep in the engine.

At this point, he just walks away after telling me to get the (multiple expletive) nut one way or another. It took me over an hour to find where it had fallen, then rig up something to grab it and then actually extract it. I went back into the house and showed him that I had successfully retrieved it. He rolled his eyes and got out of his chair, and I (being me) made some smartass comment like, "What, you're not going to tell me how proud of me you are?"

He looks at me in much the same way that I'd imagine he'd look at me if I'd just whipped it out, and says, "I would say I'm proud of you if you had done something more than very slowly work your way out of a situation that was 100% your doing. Since you didn't do that, and you've only managed to get back to where we should have been in the first place if you hadn't messed it up, you get nothing."
That's the perfect Jarmo analogy. Before anyone tells you what an ass your father was (at 15 you were probably thinking that anyway), I'll just say it sounds like he prepared you well for life.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2017, 02:07 PM
ca5150

My reports from Detroit fans are that Quincey is very underwhelming. If he pushes Murray to the pressbox, I'll be happy. My guess is he's the 7th guy around for injuries and won't play unless injuries happen.

It's no shock I like tough players like Prout, would have liked to have him clear the net on the OT goal last night, Savard is usually good at that, that was shameful...oh well, wish him the best and hope he gets playing time.

I would have liked to get Ott for 2 6th round picks. One of the top faceoff men and stirs up anger in the other teams.

Old
03-01-2017, 02:08 PM
Arch City Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
And unfortunately, a definition of "literally" has been added to the Oxford dictionary that basically means the opposite of literally. That was a sad day for me.
David Cross must have had a field day on that one (check out his Ricky Henderson bit).

Arch City Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2017, 02:08 PM
ca5150

Quote:
Except I used it in its appropriate manner and circumstance. Literally.

You may also have noticed we had some fun with that post.
That was more of a social commentary than a critique of your use, haha.

Old
03-01-2017, 02:10 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
That was more of a social commentary than a critique of your use, haha.
And my reply was literally just an excuse to... well, you get me.

Old
03-01-2017, 02:12 PM
ca5150

Btw, I haven't been on here in awhile, what happened to our avatars? I want my Don Cherry pic back! ha

Old
03-01-2017, 02:14 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Btw, I haven't been on here in awhile, what happened to our avatars? I want my Don Cherry pic back! ha
Just temporary, extra bandwidth for presumed increased use at the trade deadline.

Old
03-01-2017, 02:21 PM
EdwardG
Let's Dance!

Sounds like the NJ people hate the trade, as Quincey is a legit bottom pair NHL'er. They think this was a favor the NJ GM did for Jarmo.

Question: What happened with Prout? I remember people were quite positive on him a few years ago, that he was one of our better dmen. Seem to remember people rating him higher than Savard, who has blossomed into a strong top 4 dman.

EdwardG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2017, 02:34 PM
MoeBartoli
Chex-to-Jax

Quote:
Ha. "Dalton Prout Appreciation Thread"

/thread
Yep, my favorite Dalton Prout moment.....That aside, I am glad to see his contract off the books for next year. To me that - while taking on no dollars for next year - is best part of this trade.

MoeBartoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2017, 02:58 PM
CBJWennberg10
Me when I watch CBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardG View Post
Sounds like the NJ people hate the trade, as Quincey is a legit bottom pair NHL'er. They think this was a favor the NJ GM did for Jarmo.

Question: What happened with Prout? I remember people were quite positive on him a few years ago, that he was one of our better dmen. Seem to remember people rating him higher than Savard, who has blossomed into a strong top 4 dman.
No clue. He was an absolute beast in the lockout year. Was a shutdown guy and skated with confidence. He wasn't perfect but for a rookie Dman he looked very promising. Since then, he's been a penalty machine, handles the puck like a grenade, and slow minded and footed. Maybe he was just better suited in the Western Conference.

CBJWennberg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2017, 03:07 PM
vogeezy
In search for a 1C

vCash: 1356
Quote:
My reports from Detroit fans are that Quincey is very underwhelming. If he pushes Murray to the pressbox, I'll be happy. My guess is he's the 7th guy around for injuries and won't play unless injuries happen.

It's no shock I like tough players like Prout, would have liked to have him clear the net on the OT goal last night, Savard is usually good at that, that was shameful...oh well, wish him the best and hope he gets playing time.

I would have liked to get Ott for 2 6th round picks. One of the top faceoff men and stirs up anger in the other teams.
... you want Murray in the press box? Wtf are you smoking..

vogeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2017, 03:08 PM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post

One of the things I always loved about Howson was that even when he made a bad move, he recovered from such moves admirably. Indeed, I frequently pointed to that as one of his greatest strengths.

Jarmo's starting to do the same thing, and it gives me much hope for the future. To the point that I'm starting to think of him as the Drunken Master of hockey GMing - it looks crazy, it feels crazy, it shouldn't possibly work, you KNOW it's going to turn out bad, but somehow it works out and you'd swear it was deliberately planned that way.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote