HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Conklin placed on waivers.

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2006, 07:43 PM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBreed19
I bet the yotes would take him over Sauve! The only reason we have Sauve , is because Sutter demanded Boucher for the deal to get done. Sauve sucks, atleast Conklin lead the oilers for a couple of seasons, what has Sauve done? If I was Barnett was smart, he would put a claim in for Conklin. He only makes 200k more than what Boucher was being paid. If the yotes really wanted Sauve, they could have claimed him off waivers. He was a throw in to get the deal done with Calgary.Conklin would make a good backup.
I live within a good solid spit from Edmonton and hear everything the Oil fans say about this guy. We do not want Conklin. There are better options. Much better options.

By the way, we could waive Sauve and not have him claimed, which would be a strong possibility. Then we are stuck with way too many goalies on one way contracts.

Old
02-06-2006, 07:45 PM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefiestygoat
Is Conklin a FA at the end of the year?
Conklin is infact an UFA after this season

Old
02-06-2006, 07:45 PM
acr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote
I live within a good solid spit from Edmonton and hear everything the Oil fans say about this guy. We do not want Conklin. There are better options. Much better options.

By the way, we could waive Sauve and not have him claimed, which would be a strong possibility. Then we are stuck with way too many goalies on one way contracts.
If nobody claims Sauve, he can be assigned to the AHL

Old
02-06-2006, 07:49 PM
NewBreed19

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote

Do you live near Hinton,Ab.? I know it says I live in Brandon,Mb, but I was born in Hinton,Ab. near Jasper,Ab. Great little hockey town! My dad still lives there. I hate Sauve, and would like Barnett to address the yotes goalie needs. If it's true that Cujo is going to be dealt, I hope we get a goalie. I have always liked Ty Conklin. He would be a good backup.

Old
02-06-2006, 08:06 PM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
If I were the Canucks I'd claim him in a second.

The Blues or Bruins will probably get him first I would think
Because the Bruins need a backup for Providence? Makes a lot of sense.

Old
02-06-2006, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acr
If nobody claims Sauve, he can be assigned to the AHL
Sauve recently cleared waivers (January 24, 2006) while with Calgary, so he wouldn't even need to be waived to go to the minors unless the Coyotes wanted to cut bait with him.

I think it'd be a smart chance for the Coyotes to take. They could demote Sauve and pay his one-way salary until the offseason where they could not give him a qualifying offer, and they could also walk away without trying to retain Conklin. It's a pretty simple solution if the Coyotes have a buyer for Cujo now and want to go with LeNeveu & Conklin down the stretch. Just the same, the Coyotes could get by with LeNeveu & Sauve just as easily and cheaper. Conklin just might provide a better tender than Sauve if they decide to still try to win with the vets.

Darn, every goalie move in the league seems to get mentions with the Coyotes and Cujo anymore, I bet the other fans are getting annoyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Jacket41
Because the Bruins need a backup for Providence? Makes a lot of sense.
If the Bruins claimed Conklin, they would have to put one of Taylor, Toivenen or Raycroft on waivers to be backup in Providence, or re-place Conklin on waivers to send him to the minors which doesn't make a lot of sense. Maybe I missed something from what you were referring to.

Old
02-06-2006, 08:23 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazzy-19
They go from last place to first don't they?
Ya, I was joking, since he mentioned the Blues and Bruins, then Canucks. But I guess theres the Bluejackets, Blackhawks, Canadiens... ok fine, I'll keep my smartass coments to myself.

Old
02-06-2006, 08:26 PM
Guy Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
If I were the Canucks I'd claim him in a second.

The Blues or Bruins will probably get him first I would think
The Blues don't really have a use for Conklin.

Sanford has already proven to be solid and is the starter the rest of the season. After that, the team is already stuck paying for Lalime (as a backup right now), so I don't see them picking up Conklin and his salary.

Old
02-06-2006, 08:54 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
I could see the Blackhawks entering a claim. He has to be better then Craig Anderson and Adam Munro.

Old
02-06-2006, 08:56 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyFreak83
Conklin makes 390,000 for the rest of the season
But how much does he count towards the cap? Is he in fact a UFA or is there an option year still to be considered?

Last edited by Irish Blues: 02-06-2006 at 09:04 PM. Reason: re-phrasing the last question
Old
02-06-2006, 09:02 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Edison
Well considering that the season is half over that number decreases to 550,000 over the course of the year added to the salary cap. This number can not used by themselves as if Conklin does go to Vancouver it is almost assured that Oulette will be shipped down to Manitoba.

Thus with some very rough calculations the impact on the overall salary cap would be as follows.

82-55=27 (Canuck games remaining)
Conklin's salary per game = 13414.63

Impact on overall salary cap would thus be 13414.63 multiplied by 27, which is $362195.01
Games played means squat when figuring out how much a player still counts - it's all about how many days remain in the season. Right now there's 72 days left in the season (after tonight, 71). Take a player's cap number (not his salary for this year, his average salary on the current contract including all options and bonuses), divide by 196 (the number of days in the '05-06 season) and multiply by the number of days remaining in the season. That is the cost towards the cap to another team for acquiring him.

Old
02-06-2006, 09:07 PM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
But how much does he count towards the cap? Is he in fact a UFA or is there an option year still to be considered?
all that's left on his contract (before tonight about 390,000 was left), and yes he is a UFA, the option year i don't think is there, probably going to have get a source on that one

Old
02-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyFreak83
all that's left on his contract (before tonight about 390,000 was left), and yes he is a UFA, no option year
http://www.hfboards.com/showpost.php...5&postcount=43

That says there was an option year. That would also jibe with his alleged cap number of $1.52M that I could never get reconciled.

Old
02-06-2006, 09:23 PM
Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan
I could see the Blackhawks entering a claim. He has to be better then Craig Anderson and Adam Munro.
Actually, statistically he's every bit as bad as Anderson. Which is sad.

Old
02-07-2006, 12:26 AM
theoil

Quote:
http://www.hfboards.com/showpost.php...5&postcount=43

That says there was an option year. That would also jibe with his alleged cap number of $1.52M that I could never get reconciled.
Its a team option for one year.

Old
02-07-2006, 12:58 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu
Actually, statistically he's every bit as bad as Anderson. Which is sad.
Yes, yes it is. I had high hopes for the Conkkanen pairing coming into this season. Conklin lost his confidence and never seemed to regain it. For a guy that doesn't have elite skills in net, confidence is huge.

Old
02-07-2006, 01:26 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned
Yes, yes it is. I had high hopes for the Conkkanen pairing coming into this season. Conklin lost his confidence and never seemed to regain it. For a guy that doesn't have elite skills in net, confidence is huge.
I personally feel it all goes back to the groin injury he suffered in training camp. He didn't get a chance to come out of the gate healthy and that hurt both his confidence and his performance out on the ice. He's a good guy and I hope someone picks him up and at least gives him a chance as a backup.

Old
02-07-2006, 03:16 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
I personally feel it all goes back to the groin injury he suffered in training camp. He didn't get a chance to come out of the gate healthy and that hurt both his confidence and his performance out on the ice. He's a good guy and I hope someone picks him up and at least gives him a chance as a backup.
I think it all goes back to the Fact that in 2003/04 Tommy Salo was SO bad, Conklin came in, went on a little hot streak and got massively overrated. So then he came in this Year way overrated and couldn't put up. And now he's done, too bad so sad

Old
02-07-2006, 04:04 AM
Hemsky4PM

Conklin can still be an NHL back-up. He's in desperate need of a change of scenery though. It's possible he could be claimed...but considering Lalime cleared on re-entry it might be a stretch to think Conklin would be claimed.

Old
02-07-2006, 07:35 AM
flambers

I believe there is a 50/50 chance a team will pick him up. I would guess the teams would be the Hawks or Canucks.

Old
02-07-2006, 09:45 AM
4th_Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz
Why? Do they go in alphabetic order?
lol.. that was pretty funny.. i'd rename the oilers to 0ilers in a second..

Old
02-07-2006, 09:47 AM
4th_Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers
I believe there is a 50/50 chance a team will pick him up.
stop disrespecting statistics like that.. if you wanna state the obvious just say it normally.. conklin may or may not be picked up..

Old
02-07-2006, 10:04 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead17
Doesn't the team that claims the player only get on the hook for half his salary? And I would say claim him from a Canucks viewpoint as well; this hasn't been his year, but he's shown in the past that he can play. Plus he'd be an upgrade on Ouellet and allow us to send him down to the minors.

~Canucklehead~
he's only half the salary (and cap hit) on re-entry - like Lalime was.

Lalime was cheaper, more experienced and is also a UFA after this season, and if the canucks didn't pick him up, why would they pick up a more expensive (and bigger cap hit) and less experienced Conklin?

IMO the canucks pass... they will wait until after the Olympic break before adding *anyone* so not to pay salary (and cap hit) for the 2 weeks off during the break... then they'll callup Flarherty as the backup.

Old
02-07-2006, 10:48 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Games played means squat when figuring out how much a player still counts - it's all about how many days remain in the season. Right now there's 72 days left in the season (after tonight, 71). Take a player's cap number (not his salary for this year, his average salary on the current contract including all options and bonuses), divide by 196 (the number of days in the '05-06 season) and multiply by the number of days remaining in the season. That is the cost towards the cap to another team for acquiring him.

IB, since you've clearly done your homework regarding the cap I hope you can answer a question that's been bugging me. I think the answer is in your response above.

I've been trying to figure out how the league considers traded salaries against the cap. Based on what you've said here is it fair to say that the cap is enforced based on the max number divided by days in the season such that in actual "cap enforcement" no team can exceed $39M/196 (~199K) total per day salary?

Old
02-07-2006, 11:37 AM
Amd

I do not believe it is buy "games played, but by total games that the team with the has the original contract. Players still get payed by the game. They go in and pick up there paychecks bi-monthly. So Conklin is slated to make $1,140,000.00. That is $13,903.43 a game. As of last night the Oilers have played 55 games they have payed him about $764,634.14. That leaves $375,365.86 remaining on his contract. What ever he will get played per game if he is signed will depend on the number of games left that the team he gets signed to. The Oilers have 27 games left. Hypothetically speaking, lets say the Senators signed him, just using that because they have 30 games left. He would get paid $12,512.19 a game for the rest of the season and would have a $375,365.86 hit against their cap. That is why everyone said that no one is trading before the Olympic break because their were so many games in early February.

Closed Thread