HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would You Do This Trade?

View Poll Results: Would You Do This Trade?
Yes 10 20.83%
No 38 79.17%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2006, 09:10 PM
TeamSeals

vCash: 500
Would You Do This Trade?

Minnesota Gets:
Marian Hossa

Atlanta Gets:
Patrick O'Sullivan
Beniot Pouliot
Nick Schultz
Kyle Wanvig/Stephane Vellieux
Dupuis
3rd round pick this year
a 1st round pick next year

Reason why Yes,
We get a top flight player that is in his prime and happens to be good friends with Gaborik and combined they could be one of the best duos ever on our top line.

We are giving up a lot but honestly you have to to get a player like Hossa, especially when they aren't shopping him. O'Sullivan and Pouliot have never played in the NHL so while we are losing potentially great players they could just as well bust and honestly they both have to be top 6 forwards to be successful in the NHL because they are more about putting up points than anything else so putting them in more of a grind situation won't help them and right now we have Rolston, PMB, and Gabby at wings on the top 2 lines so those two plus Voloshenko will fight for one spot essentially. Schultz is a good young player but we can live without him if we bring back Kuba and Mitchell or other top defenseman this offseason. Vellieux/Wanvig are expendable since one of them is usually benched every game anyway and we have Foy and Westrum in the A waiting to do the same job. Dupuis has never lived up to expectations and has fallen under the label of third line energy guy with some ability to create scoring chances but has trouble putting the biscuit in the basket. the draft picks aren't that big of a deal, this years third is no biggy since this is a weak draft and if Hossa and Gabby explode next year our first round pick should be in the late 20's.

Possible line combos:
Gabby-Walz-Hossa
PMB-Koivu-Rolston
White-Chouinard-Voloshenko(I'm a hypocrit)
Boogaard-Westrum-Foy

Old
02-23-2006, 09:37 PM
Wild Bill

As much as I'd LOVE to have Hossa, especially to play with Gaborik, I couldn't give up that many assets. You gotta remember how young this team still is and depth is NOT our middle name.

I would have to think Atlanta would want somebody playing now instead of one of the prospects, to keep the fan base interested. PMB prolly...

PMB + Pouliot + couple high picks?

Probably still not enough if you're Atlanta...maybe though, who knows...

Old
02-23-2006, 10:09 PM
Chrisd

No i wouldn't give all that up for hossa.

But i would sign Olli Jokinen as a UFA in the offseason.

Why trade away studs like osully/pouliot....they are the future, and will come cheap for some years to come.

We HAVE the money to spend in UFA, will we spend is another question.

But we can/should be able to have the best of both worlds, get impact free agents, and keep our prospects.

Old
02-23-2006, 10:12 PM
Sherlock

Send a message via AIM to Sherlock
I think if we're going to give up that much we should be looking at a legitimate number one center rather than another wing. I'd love to have Hossa, but there are other areas we should look to fill first.

Old
02-23-2006, 11:13 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Unless Riser is REALLY on crack, this is one of the worst trade proposals I've seen.

Old
02-24-2006, 07:28 AM
Wild Thing

I wouldn't give up that much for any player in the league; hell, maybe not even any player in the history of the league. Hossa's not worth half that package. Two blue chip prospects, a top 2/top 4 defenseman in his prime, a 2nd-line forward in his prime, two draft picks, and a 3rd/4th-line winger? Good lord! I don't care how good Hossa is, he's only one player. No single player could come close to filling the hole that would leave in the depth chart. The only benefit that would result from this trade is that the Herschel Walker deal would no longer be the worst trade in the history of Minnesota sports.

Old
02-24-2006, 10:25 AM
MePutPuckInNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Thing
I wouldn't give up that much for any player in the league; hell, maybe not even any player in the history of the league. Hossa's not worth half that package. Two blue chip prospects, a top 2/top 4 defenseman in his prime, a 2nd-line forward in his prime, two draft picks, and a 3rd/4th-line winger? Good lord! I don't care how good Hossa is, he's only one player. No single player could come close to filling the hole that would leave in the depth chart. The only benefit that would result from this trade is that the Herschel Walker deal would no longer be the worst trade in the history of Minnesota sports.
Nicely done!

Old
02-24-2006, 02:28 PM
Bluesman

No. As others have mentioned this is a lot to give up, particularly for something we don't "need". There's also the fact that this is the wrong move for a team building with youth to make, giving up a bunch of young talent for a talented player with a big contract.

Old
02-24-2006, 02:38 PM
Yosemite Sam

vCash: 1050
TeamSeals: No offense or anything, but you might want to look at past trades in this league to get an idea of player worth. You're giving WAY too much for just one guy, even if he is Hossa. You'll also want to study the financial part of trading.

Old
02-24-2006, 02:48 PM
TeamSeals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam
TeamSeals: No offense or anything, but you might want to look at past trades in this league to get an idea of player worth. You're giving WAY too much for just one guy, even if he is Hossa. You'll also want to study the financial part of trading.
the financial aspect, when all the contracts are dealt the wild add some but not much and we are still towards the league minimun cap with the ability to add more players.

Old
02-24-2006, 03:34 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

hell freaking no

there better be more players coming over here than hossa for that overpayment

Old
02-24-2006, 04:46 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Take out O'Sullivan and the 1st rounder and you got a deal!!

Old
02-24-2006, 06:03 PM
DW

That's a lousy deal for the Wild. No other way around that.

Old
02-24-2006, 06:41 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Where do these proposals come from. There is really no sense to many of these proposals and all these is a waste of one's reading time.

Old
02-24-2006, 09:18 PM
aylib
User and abuser

Send a message via Yahoo to aylib
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Thing
I beg to differ. First, on the players worthy of that package. In the history of the game, I will name 10 that I would accept without a question.
1) Lemieux
2) Yzerman
3) Gretzky
4) Messier
5) Howe
6) Coffey
7) Orr
8) Roy
9) Stevens
10) Bourque
Most of them- I didn't have to go too far back.
Then there are current day players I would consider trading for:
1) Ovechkin
2) Staal
3) Phaneuf
4) Crosby
5) Thornton (who, by the way, didn't bring much to Bos )
6) Heatley
7) Nash
8) Datsyuk
9) Lecavalier
10) Hossa
Now, the package itself- what we have of value: two pretty good prospects, a top six/nine forward (depending on the team), a top four defenseman and a first rounder.
I would trade that for a franchise player (Ovechkin).

Last edited by aylib: 02-24-2006 at 09:45 PM.
Old
02-24-2006, 10:06 PM
Sherlock

Other than Aylib (who was sort of vague on whether he'd do it), where are the people that voted yes to this trade? I noticed that at the moment the voting is 10-8.

I'd like to hear more from the other side, because most of this thread is made up of no votes.

Old
02-24-2006, 10:08 PM
aylib
User and abuser

Send a message via Yahoo to aylib
I didn't vote yes on the poll. Just wanted to say that there definitely are/were players worthy of that package. Hossa might, or might not be one of them. I'd take Ovechkin without thinking twice.

Old
02-24-2006, 11:07 PM
Sherlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylib
I didn't vote yes on the poll. Just wanted to say that there definitely are/were players worthy of that package. Hossa might, or might not be one of them. I'd take Ovechkin without thinking twice.
I honestly couldn't tell which way your vote went by your reply, but you were the first person to come out and suggest that the deal isn't that bad. It merely got me thinking that nobody that voted yes has mentioned why yet.

Old
03-01-2006, 11:42 AM
Wild4BP

Does "Herschel Walker" ring any bells??? (that's a NO vote on my part, unless you throw in Demitra)

Old
03-02-2006, 12:49 AM
vitogor

There are only 4 current players that I would do this trade for- Ovechkin, Crosby, Staal, and Malkin. Maybe Phaneuf as well. As much as I would love to see Hossa play with Gaborik, the package is just not worth it. Besides, giving up so many quality players/prospects for just one player (even if it's a very, very good one), will set us back about 2-3 years in terms of organizational depth. I think this team is way too young to make a trade of that magnitude.

Old
03-02-2006, 11:39 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by #16
As much as I would love to see Hossa play with Gaborik, the package is just not worth it. Besides, giving up so many quality players/prospects for just one player (even if it's a very, very good one), will set us back about 2-3 years in terms of organizational depth. I think this team is way too young to make a trade of that magnitude.

Absolutely right. This would be appropriate for a team at the cusp of winning a Cup, not a young team trying to grow into a contender.

Closed Thread