HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

TFC 2017 Discussion

Old
05-27-2017, 12:18 PM
Clark4Ever

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
From what i have seen this team looks stronger than last year.
We're deeper on the back end and in the midfield. Vasquez in particular was a brilliant addition in the off season. He is having the impact of a DP.

Clark4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2017, 04:45 PM
HappyGilmourr
#FireShapiro

To quote Vanney, maybe the deepest team in MLS history. This team is competing in England. Not with Chelsea or Man United, but they would finish strong in the Champions league or low in EPL. Giovinco, Altidore, Bradley, Vasquez, Edwards, Moor, Mavinga... insane skill here. Also Morrow and Zavaletta are having nice years and the Canadians. Everyone is in form.

HappyGilmourr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2017, 07:04 PM
Moncherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGilmourr View Post
To quote Vanney, maybe the deepest team in MLS history. This team is competing in England. Not with Chelsea or Man United, but they would finish strong in the Champions league or low in EPL. Giovinco, Altidore, Bradley, Vasquez, Edwards, Moor, Mavinga... insane skill here. Also Morrow and Zavaletta are having nice years and the Canadians. Everyone is in form.
No. No, they definitely would not.

Moncherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2017, 07:13 PM
Epictetus
YNWA

Finishing strong in the CL and low in the EPL makes no sense when the CL represents the best of Europe while the EPL is a domestic league.

Anyway, just see if the team can win a title first before anointing them anything.

Epictetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2017, 07:36 PM
Volcanologist
Used Register

MLS is a 3rd rate league. TFC would have no chance in the Prem, give me a break. even less so in CL.

having said that, in their own context they look dominant this year. definitely on track to the Cup. And they should be, with that payroll.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2017, 07:39 PM
trellaine201

Yah they do look good enjoy watching them. Offense and Defense seem to be there. Long season though.

trellaine201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2017, 08:21 PM
wingman75

Its nice to see some solid finish to the good build ups... for years this team had a good mid-field with no finish... Now the buildups are way better granted, but the finish in and around the box is fantastic.

That PK by Vasquez was stellar in the last game.

The young Canadians have impressed as well, Edwards is a real playmaker.

Go Reds

wingman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2017, 10:37 PM
sync95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
Finishing strong in the CL and low in the EPL makes no sense when the CL represents the best of Europe while the EPL is a domestic league.

Anyway, just see if the team can win a title first before anointing them anything.
I think he was referring to 2nd tier English association football, aka "The Championship".

I think saying that TFC would finish high in the Championship would be an overstatement. There are teams like Aston Villa, Norwich, Fulham, Leeds, Wolves, Blackburn and Wigan, most of which are 3/5 star clubs imo and would go to town on the MLS. That doesn't even include upstart teams like Brighton and Huddersfield.

This iteration of TFC is great, but let's not go on a limb and say we could compete with lower side BPL teams..

sync95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2017, 10:42 PM
theaub
34-38-61-10-13-15

As someone who watched a ton of Championship football this year (howay!), TFC is better than any non-Newcastle/Brighton team. A hell of a lot of name brand dross in there this season.

There isn't a team in the division that has a stronger top 5 than Giovinco/Vasquez/Bradley/Altidore/Morrow. Depth would obviously be an issue.

I don't think its crazy at all to say that TFC (or the best team in MLS in most years), could put up a solid fight for 17th in the PL. Mostly because the PL is the most overrated league in the world, but I digress.

Last edited by theaub: 05-29-2017 at 10:48 PM.
theaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2017, 07:45 PM
trellaine201

I always feel bad for the players who don't play regularly. And they only play meaningless minutes. E.g is Endoh not good enough to play more minutes in the MLS?

Old
05-31-2017, 07:51 PM
trellaine201

Wow Vasquez is so good. Very nice player to watch. He makes the game look so easy.

Old
05-31-2017, 09:03 PM
theaub
34-38-61-10-13-15

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
I always feel bad for the players who don't play regularly. And they only play meaningless minutes. E.g is Endoh not good enough to play more minutes in the MLS?
Endoh is a decent USL player (ie why he looked fine tonight), and that's it.

If Ottawa had a real striker they could've done some damage tonight, but alas that's why they're a USL team.

Also a cool story out of the US Open Cup (basically the equivalent of the Voyageurs Cup but with far more teams) - Christos FC, an amateur/pub team named after a liquor store, beat second division Richmond and Chicago's PDL affiliate and now will play at DC United in the 4th round.

Old
05-31-2017, 09:10 PM
trellaine201

So basically the MLS is the last place a player can go and get paid enough?

Where could a player go if he wasn't happy with playing time?
Thanks

Old
05-31-2017, 09:21 PM
theaub
34-38-61-10-13-15

Toronto FC has an affiliate in the second division USL (the aptly named Toronto FC II) that plays up in Vaughan, which consists of fringe MLS players registered on TFC's roster, recent draft picks, the odd academy callup and some random young guys/vets to fill up the rest of the spots. Endoh has played a few games for them this year. I believe he gets paid his MLS salary regardless of where he plays as he is registered on the TFC roster.

In terms of actual player movement? MLS is rather strict compared to the rest of the world - in Europe a player that's unhappy can generally get transferred with relative ease during a transfer window, but in MLS the team needs to trade the player's rights to another team, or the league needs to accept a transfer offer. In some rare cases the player will be cut but that's usually only if another player joins the team and they need to open up a roster spot.

tl;dr - a guy like Endoh really has nowhere to go, and has to accept playing in the second division to get playing time

Old
05-31-2017, 09:35 PM
trellaine201

Ahh okay thanks for the explanation. I also mentioned as he didn't seem all that impressed when he was taken out. Maybe just competitive and wanted to play the whole game.

And I guess if you don't make the MLS you would work in the private sector somewhere or public I guess.

Old
06-01-2017, 10:44 AM
Vexed
Magic Marner

MLS is definetly being underrated in this thread via old truths. The league is significantly better than it used to be and is for sure competitive with The Championship. I mean the list someone posted above of Championship squads is total trash and makes me think that it was based solely on old reputations rather than current realities.

That being said, saying TFC wouldn't get relegated out of The Championship isn't the same as them being promoted into the Prem. On paper though I think that it would be a real possibility and I would put money on them being a playoff squad this season.

Vexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2017, 11:00 AM
bobermay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexed View Post
MLS is definetly being underrated in this thread via old truths. The league is significantly better than it used to be and is for sure competitive with The Championship. I mean the list someone posted above of Championship squads is total trash and makes me think that it was based solely on old reputations rather than current realities.

That being said, saying TFC wouldn't get relegated out of The Championship isn't the same as them being promoted into the Prem. On paper though I think that it would be a real possibility and I would put money on them being a playoff squad this season.
You're right. When TFC joined the league, it probably wasn't even a top 30 league in the world... Now they're top 10 and still improving.

bobermay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2017, 12:21 PM
zong

TFC is in the midst of its best season ever. Enjoy it while we can folks.

zong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2017, 02:51 PM
Moncherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobermay View Post
You're right. When TFC joined the league, it probably wasn't even a top 30 league in the world... Now they're top 10 and still improving.
No it isn't.

Old
06-01-2017, 03:05 PM
bobermay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moncherry View Post
No it isn't.
Name 10.

bobermay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2017, 03:15 PM
theaub
34-38-61-10-13-15

I'd put England, Spain, France, Germany, Italy, Portugal, Turkey, Russia, Brazil, Argentina and Mexico ahead of MLS.

But that's far higher than I would've had it like 5 years ago, where I would have put leagues like Ukraine, Netherlands, Denmark etc above it.

Old
06-01-2017, 03:25 PM
Moncherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobermay View Post
Name 10.
Pretty much any decent European league possesses a higher level of quality than MLS and the best ones in Latin America are better too.

The MLS consistently has average players from European leagues and far past their prime 35+ year olds come over and dominate the league.

Old
06-01-2017, 03:27 PM
Quarter
The caravan moves on

The fact that MLS likely isn't even a top 3 league in the Americas really hamstrings its chances at being considered a top 10 league in the world.

Quarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2017, 04:00 PM
Vexed
Magic Marner

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
I'd put England, Spain, France, Germany, Italy, Portugal, Turkey, Russia, Brazil, Argentina and Mexico ahead of MLS.

But that's far higher than I would've had it like 5 years ago, where I would have put leagues like Ukraine, Netherlands, Denmark etc above it.
The leagues I highlighted form time to time have a good club at the top but those leagues are total trash. Mexican league isn't very good either but having to play anywhere in Central America is quite the adventure so it's a lot harder to compare. Big Prem teams struggle too when they have to go to torn up pitches and crazy ass fans that aren't really held back by any law enforcement.

Spain, England, Germany, Italy, France, Portugal, Netherlands, Argentina, Brazil and MLS in that order for me

Vexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2017, 04:15 PM
theaub
34-38-61-10-13-15

The Mexican league routinely skunks MLS in head to head competition wherever they play. There is literally zero way the Mexican league isn't better than MLS.

I mean hell Vazquez couldn't even get regular run at a mid-tier Liga MX team and has probably been the best player in MLS this season.

I do agree that MLS teams would fare well against a good number of teams in Turkey/Russia, but the large gap between the top teams in those leagues and the best MLS ones offsets the trash at the bottom IMO.

Last edited by theaub: 06-01-2017 at 04:22 PM.