HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

How did the Canucks lose in 2011?

Old
03-04-2017, 02:44 PM
firstemperor

vCash: 500
Boston was the better team. Even if Thomas wasn't playing amazing (he was at his best around this time)- Boston still would have won. They were the far better defensively, physically, and just as good offensively all series. I don't think Luongo "choked" either. Better team won, plain and simple.

firstemperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 02:47 PM
Lieutenant Bookman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mint View Post
Canucks had 33 Powerplays to Boston's 27.
That doesn't really mean much. If they got 33 but thy should have gotten 43 the point still stands. That said, I don't think officiating is a legit reason they lost. Boston was a bad matchup for Vancouver, and Tim Thomas playing at a HOF level in that series pretty much put it away

Lieutenant Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 02:47 PM
BruinLVGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by uTurris View Post
Because Boston got away with way............................................... .. too much. Yet they gave suspensions to all the other teams in the NHL. 1. I mean Chara got away with almost killing Pacioretty. They shouldn't have gotten past the first round anyway that year.

Also I like to think of the curse of Raffi Torres. All teams he started the season with lost when they got deep.

2. But Vancouver should've won the cup in 2011. 3. Only time Boston even deserved to make the finals was in 2013 when they lost to Chicago.

But it's interesting to think about the Canucks if they did win in 2011. I think most of that roster plus Luongo, Kesler, Vigneault and Gillis would've still been there to this very day. Only ones that leave would be due to salary. I think they'd be still making the playoffs to this day.

If Boston lost they would've tried to find ways to improve for the next year and make the finals the next year.
1. If hyperboles were marginally toxic, you would be dead. Anyway... What Pacioretty has to do with Vancouver is a mystery to me.

2. Eh... Miracles do happen... But when on average you score 1 goal and the other guys score 3, it's going to be really though to win a series.

3. Because winning THREE game 7s, overcoming TWO 0-2 starts, winning a series with NO PP GOALS at all (never happened in the history of the NHL playoffs before), beating the President Trophy winners in the finals is a clear sign of an undeserving team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Robot View Post
Luongo threw 2 shutouts and a 2-3 overtime win. 1. The canucks scored a grand total of 8 goals the entire 7 game series. Luongo did get chased a couple times but the fact that the canucks had 0 goals in a few of those blowouts makes it inconsequential. The Sedins didn't show up and Kesler who was absolutely fantastic vrs (chicago?) was injured which severely limited their offense. If its the year im thinking of when Vancouver played Chicago, it was Kesler going into overdrive that won them the series. As things went on he fell off a cliff hard then later it was revealed he had a torn groin which made a lot of sense for how much he was struggling. Thomas was fantastic the whole series and the momentum shifted to the Bruins which allowed for some of those blowouts but if anyone has to shoulder the blame its the Sedins not being able to carry the offense without Kesler. Everyone was tired of how hard vancouver fans were pumping Luongos tires the whole season which led to some people blaming Lou for choking 2. but it was absolutely not on his shoulders.
1. Lowest goals total in a seven games playoffs series. One has to go back to 1945 to find the next less goals in a 7 games series (Toronto vs Detroit, they scored 9 goals each)

2. Correct. The Bruins were the better team in that series, it wasn't just one factor.

Last edited by BruinLVGA: 03-04-2017 at 03:03 PM.
BruinLVGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 02:53 PM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 75
Yeah the biting incident flipped the energy of that series upside down. You have to think it swayed the attitude of the officials against the Canucks somewhat.

hockeyisforeveryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 02:53 PM
Pastor Of Muppets

Canucks were ravaged with injuries by the time they got to the finals (thanks to Douglas Murray of the Sharks..he was a one man wrecking ball)...After Hamhuis was out of the series..they were done..IMO.

With a reasonably healthy team,I think the Canucks would have won..but thats not taking anything away from the Bruins,who were the better team in the series,and won the cup.

Pastor Of Muppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 02:56 PM
aragon416

injuries to many of their players IIRC Malhotra, Hamhuis, Kesler, Higgins, Samuelsson, Edler, Raymond, one of the Sedins and Ehrhoff were all injured in some way. Then they lost Rome to the suspension. On top of that Thomas played incredibly.

aragon416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 02:59 PM
gorangers0525

Best goaltending season and post season I have ever witnessed and injuries.

gorangers0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 03:17 PM
KPower

Sedin's were scared to death and didn't show up.

KPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 03:23 PM
Batrous

tim thomas

Batrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 03:24 PM
The Toews Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoggyTwinkles View Post
The refs put the whistle away when it looked like the Canucks were going to win the cup, this tilted the series in the Bruins favour and they took full advantage of it.

If they kept calling the series as they had been the Canucks probably win.

I'm glad the Canucks lost, but I'm not sure they got a fair shake there.
I dont like the canucks but have to agree with this. The bruins werent that talented but were allowed and probably even encouraged to goon it up.

The Toews Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 03:24 PM
HowsUrBreath

canucks weren't that good

you can talk about injuries, but boston flat out destroyed them in some of those games i can't imagine any of those guys would've made much of a difference

for whatever reason people like to think that whoever comes out of the west is the best, when in reality it has just been 3 teams over the past decade or so the red wings, hawks, and kings

the bruins having more success than the canucks after this series proves even more they were the better team

HowsUrBreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 03:26 PM
Sens of Anarchy

Bobby Loooooooooooooooooooooooo

Sens of Anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 03:37 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 107
Tim Thomas was phenomenal. Luongo played way below his ability while in Boston. The refs stopped calling the game by the book. The Canucks let the Bruins get under their skin.

03-04-2017, 04:14 PM
Oliewud

in hindsight, im glad that team didnt win our first cup. As others have stated, it was a very weak and fragile team both mentally and physically. We also had a lot of cheap shot guys like torres, lapierre, kesler and burrows.

It's not the type of team I want to win a cup with, but thats just me. Need more honor.

other than marchand, bostons group was very admirable.

Oliewud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 04:31 PM
canuckslover10

No no no im getting flashbacks

canuckslover10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 04:32 PM
D Wakaluk

vCash: 50
^Nice try, If they would have won it I bet you would feel the same way

It was those comments by Luongo that did them in . Anyway, last of the great finals imo

D Wakaluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 05:02 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
Dismayed B's Fan

vCash: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoggyTwinkles View Post
The refs put the whistle away when it looked like the Canucks were going to win the cup, this tilted the series in the Bruins favour and they took full advantage of it.

If they kept calling the series as they had been the Canucks probably win.

I'm glad the Canucks lost, but I'm not sure they got a fair shake there.
The Canucks were full of antics, this is likely why the refs put the whistles away not because of how Boston was playing.

PatriceBergeronFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 05:06 PM
BoeserOfTwoEvils
3rd overall? Nope!

1) It was a war of attrition. Boston had very few major injuries (Horton being the most notable) and were almost completely healthy.

2) Going to 7 games against the Hawks took a LOT out of the Canucks team. That was one of the most emotionally draining set of games that has ever been played.

3) Tim Thomas just was not going to let goals in. The guy must have sold his soul to win that series.

4) Luongo ****ed up at the worst possible times. From his stupid quotes about Thomas to the media to the waffle that beat him to open Game 6...sure, he carried the team for the games they actually won. But you just can't make the mistakes he did and expect to win a series.

5) The refs stopped calling games as they had all year and instead looked the other way when it came to calling penalties. This benefitted the Bruins immensely as they were the best physical team in the league and knew how to push buttons on guys like the Sedins and Burrows. Also, the kind of **** Thomas got away with...how he didn't get a penalty for his crosscheck to the face of Sedin right in front of the net is just ridiculous.

BoeserOfTwoEvils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 05:11 PM
ricky0034

vCash: 257
I remember I was around this forum a lot that year and was kinda upset going into that series because I didn't think there was any way they lost and I was really sick of how annoying Canucks fans on here were being

I reached the point where I was actually asking Bruins fans I knew "I don't think there's any way the Canucks lose this and that makes me upset got any reasons to believe otherwise?"

Tim Thomas saved the day though

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 05:19 PM
Devils090

Canucks choked plain and simple, glad they did

Devils090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 05:38 PM
Bathcat
Slavin sucks

As a Canucks fan, it's fun looking back in hindsight and realizing how unlikeable a lot of the cast were.

I'm more broken up about the '94 team not winning than the '11 team.

Bathcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 05:40 PM
clunk
Sharks Bandwagon

vCash: 50
1: Injuries.

2: Tim Thomas

3: Refs deciding not to call any blatant penalties, eliminating our league best PP completely, something we thrived on.

clunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 05:41 PM
CharasLazyWrister
GrumpyMilton

I still fail to understand the refereeing argument.

The minimum the Bruins won any game by was four goals.

The biggest thing...and this is truly oversimplified...was Thomas was absolutely lights out, and Luongo was flat out awful in pretty much every game Vancouver lost.

Bruins were also a very well-built and balanced team. Very heavy offense and defense that was difficult play against.

CharasLazyWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 05:42 PM
Donuts

Injuries especially hamhuis.
I always thought canucks looked different and played bad defensively the rest of the series after hamhuis got injured. You can point other things but hamhuis being out was at the top of reasons why they lost.

And It was unnecessary play by hamhuis that caused his injury.

Donuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 05:43 PM
Bathcat
Slavin sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharasLazyWrister View Post
I still fail to understand the refereeing argument.

The minimum the Bruins won any game by was four goals.

The biggest thing...and this is truly oversimplified...was Thomas was absolutely lights out, and Luongo was flat out awful in pretty much every game Vancouver lost.

Bruins were also a very well-built and balanced team. Very heavy offense and defense that was difficult play against.
Boston still went 7 games in all their series. They weren't nearly as well balanced as.. say.. LA in 2012.

Bathcat is offline   Reply With Quote