HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

How did the Canucks lose in 2011?

Old
03-04-2017, 05:43 PM
CharasLazyWrister
GrumpyMilton

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoeserOfTwoEvils View Post
1) It was a war of attrition. Boston had very few major injuries (Horton being the most notable) and were almost completely healthy.

2) Going to 7 games against the Hawks took a LOT out of the Canucks team. That was one of the most emotionally draining set of games that has ever been played.

3) Tim Thomas just was not going to let goals in. The guy must have sold his soul to win that series.

4) Luongo ****ed up at the worst possible times. From his stupid quotes about Thomas to the media to the waffle that beat him to open Game 6...sure, he carried the team for the games they actually won. But you just can't make the mistakes he did and expect to win a series.

5) The refs stopped calling games as they had all year and instead looked the other way when it came to calling penalties. This benefitted the Bruins immensely as they were the best physical team in the league and knew how to push buttons on guys like the Sedins and Burrows. Also, the kind of **** Thomas got away with...how he didn't get a penalty for his crosscheck to the face of Sedin right in front of the net is just ridiculous.
The fact that you remember that hit as a "crosscheck" blatantly shows your bias.

Don't get me wrong...I think it was a penalty. But the fact that it's now morphed into "crosschecked in the face" is 10x as ridiculous as the plea you just made.

CharasLazyWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 05:44 PM
CharasLazyWrister
GrumpyMilton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathcat View Post
Boston still went 7 games in all their series. They weren't nearly as well balanced as.. say.. LA in 2012.
7 games in every series except for Philly which was a clean sweep.

Old
03-04-2017, 05:45 PM
Bathcat
Slavin sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharasLazyWrister View Post
7 games in every series except for Philly which was a clean sweep.
My mistake.

Bathcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 05:45 PM
Renly Baratheon

vCash: 215
I really thought it was over after game 2, like they had it in the bag. You so very rarely see a team come back from 0-2 deficit in the Stanley Cup final. Speaks highly of the Bruins' resiliency.

Renly Baratheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 05:47 PM
Bathcat
Slavin sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renly Baratheon View Post
I really thought it was over after game 2, like they had it in the bag. You so very rarely see a team come back from 0-2 deficit in the Stanley Cup final. Speaks highly of the Bruins' resiliency.
It's not like the Canucks didn't keep giving the Bruins reasons to stick it to them. The biting incident, the late hit on Horton, the diving... if they had the Red Wings' attitude things could have played out differently.

Old
03-04-2017, 05:48 PM
CharasLazyWrister
GrumpyMilton

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowsUrBreath View Post
canucks weren't that good

you can talk about injuries, but boston flat out destroyed them in some of those games i can't imagine any of those guys would've made much of a difference

for whatever reason people like to think that whoever comes out of the west is the best, when in reality it has just been 3 teams over the past decade or so the red wings, hawks, and kings

the bruins having more success than the canucks after this series proves even more they were the better team
Yup. It's a ****ing epidemic.

If I had any money to throw around, I would have bet it all on the Penguins winning the Cup last year. It was terribly obvious to anyone with an unbiased eye that they were significantly better than the Sharks last season, but the Sharks were "from the West" so everyone automatically predicted they would win.

Old
03-04-2017, 05:49 PM
CharasLazyWrister
GrumpyMilton

Quote:
It's not like the Canucks didn't keep giving the Bruins reasons to stick it to them. The biting incident, the late hit on Horton, the diving... if they had the Red Wings' attitude things could have played out differently.
This is the thing too. The Canucks were playing their game and were generally dictating the series. They started doing a lot of ****ing around and getting the Bruins pissed which played right into Boston's hands.

Old
03-04-2017, 05:53 PM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

vCash: 50
Because the hockey gods love to torment Canucks fans

03-04-2017, 06:16 PM
Lawzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowsUrBreath View Post
canucks weren't that good

you can talk about injuries, but boston flat out destroyed them in some of those games i can't imagine any of those guys would've made much of a difference

for whatever reason people like to think that whoever comes out of the west is the best, when in reality it has just been 3 teams over the past decade or so the red wings, hawks, and kings

the bruins having more success than the canucks after this series proves even more they were the better team
You can't imagine that a handful of the Canucks best players playing at 100% wouldn't have changed a thing? Even if you want to argue the Canucks still would have lost (which is fine) it's flat out ridiculous to claim injuries didn't affect them whatsoever.

Full credit to the Bruins, they played the perfect counter to the Canucks.

Off the top of my head the main reasons the Canucks lost were:
-Injuries
-Mental fragility
-Reffing (I'm not arguing the reffing was biased rather that it was called in a way that better suited the Bruins playstyle despite it being completely opposite for the rest of the playoffs)
-Invisible powerplay
-Tim Thomas
-Julien vs. AV (AV is a fantastic coach but he was outcoached)

It was a collection of many issues, probably most notably Tim Thomas and injuries.

Lawzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 06:20 PM
LeafFever

They're lucky it even went to 7 games the way Thomas played.

LeafFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 06:21 PM
Jozay
lolwut?

IIRC Thomas was standing on his head. I wanna say he was lights out all year for the Bruins.

Jozay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 06:53 PM
BruinLVGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoeserOfTwoEvils View Post
2) Going to 7 games against the Hawks took a LOT out of the Canucks team. That was one of the most emotionally draining set of games that has ever been played.
If, we're talking about "draining", Boston went through THREE series that went to 7 games and was down 0-2 in TWO of those...

BruinLVGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 07:54 PM
Bathcat
Slavin sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozay View Post
IIRC Thomas was standing on his head. I wanna say he was lights out all year for the Bruins.
Bruins' defense needs the credit too. Thomas likes to play out and minimize the amount of net shooters can look for, which is fine to do when the defense is excellent at boxing out the forwards and clearing rebounds.

Old
03-04-2017, 08:43 PM
Dirty Dan
Saturday Night Lupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoggyTwinkles View Post
The refs put the whistle away when it looked like the Canucks were going to win the cup, this tilted the series in the Bruins favour and they took full advantage of it.

If they kept calling the series as they had been the Canucks probably win.

I'm glad the Canucks lost, but I'm not sure they got a fair shake there.
Your glad the bruins won?

you may as well call julien daddy

Dirty Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 08:50 PM
underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by illpucks View Post
Was thinking back to that series. Canucks were PT winners and flat out dominant. They had both 2-0 and 3-2 leads in the series. But lost the series somehow. Yes there were injuries, yes Luongo wasn't great in Boston. But I think all those aside they should have won in 6 or 7.

They were the favorite and perhaps you could argue the Sharks were the odds favorite over the Pens, but the Pens were hot entering the playoffs. I don't think the Bruins were in the same realm as last years Pens in terms of hotness entering the PO.

So was it just a terrible stylistic matchup for the Canucks? Because they should have been the first team since the Habs in '93 to bring the cup to Canada. The Calgary and Edmonton series both have their controversies.

The Calgary goal in game 6 that was not reviewed and the starting goalie for the Oilers going down to injury in game 1. But Canucks didn't have any real controversy on those lines.

So why did they end up losing?
I made a Luongo voodoo doll and prodded it very time they played

underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 08:56 PM
HabsQC

It was Claude Julien

HabsQC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 08:59 PM
Gnashville
Why? Poile Why??

Karma you don't play the type of chicken poop game they played and win.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 09:02 PM
Carolinas Identity
#GoWILD #grr

Quote:
Boston still went 7 games in all their series. They weren't nearly as well balanced as.. say.. LA in 2012.

you mean the team that only even made the playoffs cause they lost ~500,000 game in overtime #loserpoint

Carolinas Identity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 09:10 PM
ChrisK97

Injuries.

Couldn't score.

They never had a lead in the 3 games they played at TD Garden.

I sometimes wonder what would have been of the 2011 Canucks had Tampa won that game 7 at Boston or if Montreal finished the job in round 1.

Boston was the perfect foil for Vancouver's style. I don't know if the other East teams seemed built to knock off the Canucks.

Tampa Bay or Montreal, for instance, didn't have a Brad Marchand-type guy that would drive Vancouver nutty.

ChrisK97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 10:11 PM
The Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
It's just Vancouver's luck. I don't think they'll ever win the cup. My typical thoughts throughout their journey: Past the 1st round? No problem. Past the second round? Expected. Third round? Welp, pretty luck there? Finals? With the Canuck's luck, this is were we lose. First two games? Wow, we actually have a shot? The Collapse? It was bound to happen. Not only was there a feeling that the Canucks would never win it because of their history of curses but also the fact that there seem to be a trend. The Four year(Approximately) trend, where a Canadian team would make it and lose. Edmonton, Calgary, and Ottawa all went through the same fate.

As a Vancouver fan, it was pretty heartbreaking but not surprising at all. It really doesn't help with that it seem cheap and unfair at the end but then we'd be whiners. Like literally, You couldn't make this stuff. Our players would get punched in the face and get penalties for it. Nothing made sense anymore, the Canucks were bullies throughout the playoffs but got out bullied in the Finals. That's it. Boston's Defense and Tim Thomas shut the whole offense down. The Twins were scared, and the guys that weren't were broken and torn from the SJ/Chicago/Nashville series's. Luongo choked like he was suppose to in round 1 of the playoffs but instead they decided to give everyone hope that year, just to crush it. Everything thing that was a weakness for the Canucks came into effect and they had no answer. It was a completely disaster, to the point were I believe a Canuck's writer, seemed so surprised, of the outcome that he suggested that the Canucks decided to throw the Finals so they wouldn't have to pay for the cup celebration and the taxes that came along with it. When it was all over and done, All i could picture is Todd Bertuzzi flipping his Finger and saying his famous quote "It is, what it is". and it just took just that, to end Naslund/Bertuzzi's era here, just like how that Finals ended the Twins era. Well..from competitive to pretenders. Honestly, had Kesler/Luongo/Twins weren't as emotional, they could have easily could have been like SJ, were they have a chance every year but they just crumbled.
This was a great post.

You know, I'm guilty of making fun of the Canucks' franchise sometimes, but I lived in Van on-and-off from 2001 to 2012 -- I was there for the whole 2010-11 season -- and I did honestly feel sorry for the locals. Three trips to the Finals and three losses is tough enough, but the way they lost in 2011 was heartbreaking.

I also think the riot that followed game 7 (the moment which actually kinda ended my personal attachment to the city of Vancouver) was not just frustration that built up over a seventh-game shutout, but was a sort-of 'collective-consciousness' frustration over 30 years' failure (even though most of the 20-something white rioters couldn't remember 1982).

Anyway... a lot of memories of that period.

By the way, it's obviously extremely rare for teams in the Final to blow a 2-0 series lead, but has any team ever blown a 2-0 lead with home-ice advantage?

The Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 10:15 PM
ORRMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by b in vancouver View Post
Truthfully - Vancouver never challenged Thomas that much in the Finals. Luongo was much more of a factor in Vancouver's three wins than Thomas in the whole series. (rematch it if you don't believe - he was good but there's only a few big saves and no more than you'd expect) There were only three close games and Luongo out-duelled Thomas in all three. The other four games were blowouts that, although Luongo never looked good, neither did anyone on Vancouver as they were out-classed.

After game 2 I think Vancouver started believing their own press.
Vancouver was a team that lived by it's p.p. but Boston had an amazing pk and laid the groundwork for how to stop them. They wouldn't let the Sedins play catch in the cycle game as Chara would just lean into whichever one had the puck so the other couldn't just pass it back to him. Bergeron shut them down.
Relentless puck pursuit and finishing their checks. As the series wore on Vancouver just started shying away, coughing up the puck and losing nearly every one on one battle and loose puck. - If you forget about all the talk and the cheap stuff , injuries or fake 'Thomas stole the series' headlines - Boston just rolled four lines that were strong on the puck and aggressive and came at them wave after wave.
The Merlot line of Campbell, Paille, Thornton pinned both the Sedin and Kesler lines in their zone a few times - and if your 4th line can do that - your other lines are running rampant.

Boston was simply the better team. A well oiled machine. They were much deeper, and as much as people were oohing and awing about the Canucks, they still only had one dominant line which is tough when Bergeron and Chara are on the other side.

You can look at the Pens vs. Bruins series two years later and see how Boston was able to win it.
Bruins outscored a heavily favored Penguins team, 13-2.

In the '11 finals, three games were incredibly close, and the Bruins lost each by a goal. The Bruins won four games by a combined goal margin of 18. Total goals for the series: 23-8 in favor of Boston. Had to be the largest goal margin in a seven game series in NHL history; certainly for a Cup Final. Other than being seven games, it wasn't at all a close series.

With Chara in his prime, Julien built a defensive system that was second to none.

ORRMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 10:23 PM
K Fleur
Intangibles Per Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panther View Post
This was a great post.

You know, I'm guilty of making fun of the Canucks' franchise sometimes, but I lived in Van on-and-off from 2001 to 2012 -- I was there for the whole 2010-11 season -- and I did honestly feel sorry for the locals. Three trips to the Finals and three losses is tough enough, but the way they lost in 2011 was heartbreaking.

I also think the riot that followed game 7 (the moment which actually kinda ended my personal attachment to the city of Vancouver) was not just frustration that built up over a seventh-game shutout, but was a sort-of 'collective-consciousness' frustration over 30 years' failure (even though most of the 20-something white rioters couldn't remember 1982).

Anyway... a lot of memories of that period.

By the way, it's obviously extremely rare for teams in the Final to blow a 2-0 series lead, but has any team ever blown a 2-0 lead with home-ice advantage?
Detroit in 2009.

K Fleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 10:29 PM
HisIceness
Sad Canes fan

vCash: 1638
If Montreal beats Boston in the first round that year, I would think it's safe to say Vancouver wins it all, yes? Although now that I think about it, the Canucks themselves were a goal away from pissing a 3-0 series lead against Chicago. What a crazy playoff season that was.

So that years finals could have been what, San Jose vs. Tampa? Philadelphia?

To answer the question, I kind of think that 8-1 loss in game 3 got into their heads. After game 5 I was thinking to myself that this was going to be the first time I was going to see a Canadian team lift the Cup, but they looked terrified on the Boston ice in game 6, and looked mentally out of it after the first Boston goal in game 7.

Last edited by HisIceness: 03-04-2017 at 10:45 PM.
HisIceness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 10:41 PM
The Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Fleur View Post
Detroit in 2009.
Ha, ha. I forgot that.

The Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 11:12 PM
ChrisK97

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisIceness View Post
If Montreal beats Boston in the first round that year, I would think it's safe to say Vancouver wins it all, yes? Although now that I think about it, the Canucks themselves were a goal away from pissing a 3-0 series lead against Chicago. What a crazy playoff season that was.

So that years finals could have been what, San Jose vs. Tampa? Philadelphia?

To answer the question, I kind of think that 8-1 loss in game 3 got into their heads. After game 5 I was thinking to myself that this was going to be the first time I was going to see a Canadian team lift the Cup, but they looked terrified on the Boston ice in game 6, and looked mentally out of it after the first Boston goal in game 7.
Counterpoint- had Vancouver lost in round 1 and Boston made their run, do you think they would have been able to use their strategy to the other West teams?

Hypothetically, could you see them getting to Howard/Crawford/Rinne/Niemi the way they did Luongo?

I felt that matchup was a perfect storm on both sides

ChrisK97 is online now   Reply With Quote