HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

How did the Canucks lose in 2011?

Old
03-17-2017, 09:36 PM
Budddy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Spoilsport View Post
Sociologists tell us that professional sports act as a safe release for society's natural aggression. I wonder if Canuck fans rioted not so much because their team lost but because of the way they lost--being manhandled, pushed around, bullied. The Bruins weren't afraid of the Canucks' power play so they physically intimidated them at every opportunity. The defining image of that series is Marchand's "stop hitting yourself" routine with Daniel. If the Canucks had at least pushed back a little instead of sticking to their pacifist game plan that might have diffused the fans frustration somewhat and saved their downtown core.
Diehard Bruins fan and live in BC so was aware of all the stuff going on in the city...I always felt...and still do that the riot stuff had nothing to do with "hockey fans". There was people who just wanted to create ****. Canuck fans get a bad rap on this and it is not to say there was chirping sessions with me and Canuck fans, but real fans didn't riot...sure gave Vancouver a bad rap tho...

Budddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 09:46 PM
Budddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Yes. Although it is gutsy because the puck can still slide behind you. I just think Thomas was an opportunist and he thought that a check late in the game to preserve his shutout may have made a statement and I think it did.

I can never think of that series without those plays. You look at when other tougher teams won and you never think that the Flyers manhandled the Bruins in 1974. Even the Sens stuck up for themselves against the Ducks in 2007 better than the Nucks in 2011 against the Bruins.

Perhaps. They won back to back President's Trophies so they led the league in points twice in a row. Should you win a Cup once if you do that? Yeah, probably. The thing is, I figured they could be in for a healthy run in 2011 but I honestly thought they were meat in the first round against L.A. in 2012. Not that I thought the Kings were going to win the Cup or anything but this was a team on the rise for a few years at this time and I just knew they were going to beat the Nucks. I went as far as telling a friend of mine to avoid picking Nucks players in a playoff pool. He thought I was nuts. The result was they got bounced in 5 quick games.

I know it is very easy to say now but something always felt "off" about the Canucks as champs in 2011. Luongo was someone who always made me nervous right from the get go. Whether this was at the World Juniors or World Cup or Olympics he was a goalie who always got me so nervous. Even though he did take the monkey off his back in 2010 with the Olympics he kept you guessing. It was hard to associate him with winning. I felt the same about the Sedins too. Strange when you think of it. The 2011 Canucks led the NHL in points, goals and goals against. How could this team not win? Well, they could, I just never saw them that way. I don't know why. The 2006 Canes gave me that same feeling, and I was wrong, but they proved to be nothing more than a flash in the pan.
Always thought the Nucks record was somewhat inflated due to,playing in NW division..obviously a very good team but some weak teams in that division...I never felt they were leaps and bounds better than other teams in the league, but still really good.

Old
03-18-2017, 03:04 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budddy View Post
Diehard Bruins fan and live in BC so was aware of all the stuff going on in the city...I always felt...and still do that the riot stuff had nothing to do with "hockey fans". There was people who just wanted to create ****. Canuck fans get a bad rap on this and it is not to say there was chirping sessions with me and Canuck fans, but real fans didn't riot...sure gave Vancouver a bad rap tho...
Don Cherry always states this...............he says that most were NOT hockey fans. He hates hockey fans being painted as goons in these riots. I tend to agree with him, now, granted there were plenty of people causing chaos who were wearing Canucks jerseys as you can see in Youtube videos, so take that as you want, but of the 20,000 fans who witnessed the loss of Game 7, I would say a large percentage just went back to their cars and drove home not wanting to get involved. I don't know the numbers of course and won't try to attempt to know. I will say this, in riots there are always looters who are by far in the minority and the majority are just standing around, watching it, recording it, laughing at it, so yeah maybe you aren't lighting a police car on fire, but if three guys are trying to do it all you need is 10 guys who care about the city that put a stop to it. I didn't see a lot of that in those riots, I just saw people more interested in capturing things on film.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 03:49 PM
Budddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Don Cherry always states this...............he says that most were NOT hockey fans. He hates hockey fans being painted as goons in these riots. I tend to agree with him, now, granted there were plenty of people causing chaos who were wearing Canucks jerseys as you can see in Youtube videos, so take that as you want, but of the 20,000 fans who witnessed the loss of Game 7, I would say a large percentage just went back to their cars and drove home not wanting to get involved. I don't know the numbers of course and won't try to attempt to know. I will say this, in riots there are always looters who are by far in the minority and the majority are just standing around, watching it, recording it, laughing at it, so yeah maybe you aren't lighting a police car on fire, but if three guys are trying to do it all you need is 10 guys who care about the city that put a stop to it. I didn't see a lot of that in those riots, I just saw people more interested in capturing things on film.
Yeah, you are correct in that. Most were observing, however there were some who tried to stop stuff( not many I don't think) but honestly I wouldn't go try to stop some nut bar from rioting; I would get the hell out.

I also think the police did a poor job preparing for this. I went to game two in which the Canucks won in overtime, so lots of happy Nucks fans, but people standing around were jerks. I was standing on a corner (with Bruins jersey on) waiting for some work buddies where I got shoved hard, unprovoked, which almost knocked me down. A cop was looking right at me and just smirked. Didn't do nothing.

Police were unprepared in what could happen IMO...

Old
03-18-2017, 04:25 PM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

vCash: 3000000
Quote:
Originally Posted by illpucks View Post
Was thinking back to that series. Canucks were PT winners and flat out dominant. They had both 2-0 and 3-2 leads in the series. But lost the series somehow. Yes there were injuries, yes Luongo wasn't great in Boston. But I think all those aside they should have won in 6 or 7.
Pretty simple - They poked the Bear.

Everything changed after Rome took out Horton.

Fenway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 12:32 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budddy View Post
Yeah, you are correct in that. Most were observing, however there were some who tried to stop stuff( not many I don't think) but honestly I wouldn't go try to stop some nut bar from rioting; I would get the hell out.

I also think the police did a poor job preparing for this. I went to game two in which the Canucks won in overtime, so lots of happy Nucks fans, but people standing around were jerks. I was standing on a corner (with Bruins jersey on) waiting for some work buddies where I got shoved hard, unprovoked, which almost knocked me down. A cop was looking right at me and just smirked. Didn't do nothing.

Police were unprepared in what could happen IMO...
They should have used 1994 as a template as well. Knowing that there was an awful riot then should have given them reason to be prepared.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote