HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Vezina, who has the edge?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-05-2017, 10:59 AM
  #26
Drew4u
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 979
vCash: 500
They should really consider the team that plays in front of the goalie. Holtby is good but he doesnt carry the caps like Price does. The caps backup also has great numbers.

Drew4u is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2017, 11:08 AM
  #27
Zakkk
Registered User
 
Zakkk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 258
vCash: 500
Dubnyk for me. he has been amazing all year long.

Zakkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2017, 11:17 AM
  #28
Lari
Registered User
 
Lari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,171
vCash: 500
It's Dubnyk's year.

Lari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2017, 12:08 PM
  #29
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 51,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew4u View Post
They should really consider the team that plays in front of the goalie. Holtby is good but he doesnt carry the caps like Price does. The caps backup also has great numbers.
Holtby is good? So, the best team can not have the best goaltender? That's just....
Holtby has not lost a game in regulation in 20 games. You don't think he stole some games in there? You don't think that he has been a major factor in wins?

Further. The had that streak of blowing out opponents. 5-0 is a hard thing to do many times. 5-0 becomes easily 5-2 and the difference in the stat showing between 5-0 and 5-2 makes a difference. In Holtby's case it means that he is just good. Behind, ahead, way ahead. His record with a one goal lead in the final 10 minutes is ridiculous.

The Vezina is not like the Jack Adams where the coach of the best team almost never is coach of the year. The best teams are often the best teams because they have the best goalie.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2017, 12:47 PM
  #30
WubbaLubbaDubDub
Registered User
 
WubbaLubbaDubDub's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 7,886
vCash: 250
Dubynk and Bob just went head to head and one of those goalies walked away with a shutout..

WubbaLubbaDubDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2017, 12:51 PM
  #31
Carlzner
Registered User
 
Carlzner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: DC/CO
Country: United States
Posts: 13,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoonesJenner View Post
Dubynk and Bob just went head to head and one of those goalies walked away with a shutout..
Oh wow, just like when Holtby and Bob went head to head and one of them walked away with a shutout?

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2017, 12:52 PM
  #32
GermanDangler29
Registered User
 
GermanDangler29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,445
vCash: 500
Cam Talbot

GermanDangler29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2017, 12:58 PM
  #33
bobholly39
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,311
vCash: 500
Dubnyk is still #1 for me. But holtby has been great for a while and is pretty close.

I've been rooting for Price all year. If he can roar back in the race and raise his sv% on the year to 928-929 - do u guys think it's enough to win? I think it's unrealistic to expect price to finish first in sv% but if finishes really close and with the best stretch (by far) of last 20 games - I wonder if it's enough to steal it off. He's obviously very far still but we'll see

bobholly39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2017, 01:04 PM
  #34
lomiller1
Registered User
 
lomiller1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,046
vCash: 500
Bobrovsky is most deserving, but I think Holtby has a slight edge over Dubnyk as far as who will win.

lomiller1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2017, 01:12 PM
  #35
Deathstroke
Hey kid!
 
Deathstroke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 21,974
vCash: 50
Holtby

Deathstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2017, 01:22 PM
  #36
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,654
vCash: 500
Bob Price Dub Holtby Lehner

In order.

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2017, 01:28 PM
  #37
kuzy92
Registered User
 
kuzy92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 29
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Bob Price Dub Holtby Lehner

In order.
Holtby 4th?? Yeah whatever you say..

kuzy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2017, 01:29 PM
  #38
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzy92 View Post
Holtby 4th?? Yeah whatever you say..
Lets be honest now, Holtby plays on the strongest team in the league, hes in the middle of a hot streak and hes still pretty much in the pack.

Theres almost no argument for him. Wanna go by stats? Give it to Dubs.

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2017, 01:30 PM
  #39
WeThreeKings
DJ Salem
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 54,623
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Holtby or Bobrovsky

Dubnyk has been great, but he's a system goalie.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2017, 01:31 PM
  #40
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Holtby or Bobrovsky

Dubnyk has been great, but he's a system goalie.
Holtby is not? I agree that Dubnyk is not what his stats tell, but if you make this argument, you have to make it for Holtbeast.

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2017, 01:34 PM
  #41
Carlzner
Registered User
 
Carlzner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: DC/CO
Country: United States
Posts: 13,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Lets be honest now, Holtby plays on the strongest team in the league, hes in the middle of a hot streak and hes still pretty much in the pack.

Theres almost no argument for him. Wanna go by stats? Give it to Dubs.
A 2 year long hot streak?

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2017, 01:35 PM
  #42
kuzy92
Registered User
 
kuzy92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 29
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Lets be honest now, Holtby plays on the strongest team in the league, hes in the middle of a hot streak and hes still pretty much in the pack.

Theres almost no argument for him. Wanna go by stats? Give it to Dubs.
Look at the numbers closer and tell me Dubs is better??
Last I checked Minnesota was a pretty phenomenal team as well, the argument that a goaltender is less impressive because he plays on a great team is complete crap.. Did you ever think that maybe they are a great team because of their goaltender]??

kuzy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2017, 01:37 PM
  #43
trick9
Registered User
 
trick9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 7,087
vCash: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobholly39 View Post
Dubnyk is still #1 for me. But holtby has been great for a while and is pretty close.

I've been rooting for Price all year. If he can roar back in the race and raise his sv% on the year to 928-929 - do u guys think it's enough to win? I think it's unrealistic to expect price to finish first in sv% but if finishes really close and with the best stretch (by far) of last 20 games - I wonder if it's enough to steal it off. He's obviously very far still but we'll see
He shouldn't, but he plays in Montreal (as opposed to Washington, Minnesota or Columbus) so he might. Less than 2 months of great hockey shouldn't really get him Vezina when Dubnyk, Holtby and Bob have been great for pretty much the entire season. Especially if they finish with better stats to boot.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Lets be honest now, Holtby plays on the strongest team in the league, hes in the middle of a hot streak and hes still pretty much in the pack.

Theres almost no argument for him. Wanna go by stats? Give it to Dubs.
Is it still a hot streak when it's been going on for nearly 3 months? Okay.

What stats are those? Holtby has the best record among goalies, leads them in wins, shutouts and GAA (nobody even close to him on that). This isn't January anymore. Holtby has surpassed Dubnyk in every statistic other than the save percentage. He hasn't lost in regulation in over 2 months.

trick9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2017, 01:40 PM
  #44
WeThreeKings
DJ Salem
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 54,623
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Holtby is not? I agree that Dubnyk is not what his stats tell, but if you make this argument, you have to make it for Holtbeast.
Holtby has played behind an offensive adept team, without the strongest defense, Trotz came in and certainly helped out; that being said Holtby has been unbelievable especially in the post season. He has shown more than most goalies that he is a dominant force back there.

I've seen enough of Holtby while his team struggled to score in the playoffs, to demonstrate his numbers are not because he's being a system team. He's a legit top 5 goalie.

Dubnyk just isn't but kudos for the guy for rebuilding his career and being what Minnesota needs back there.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2017, 01:43 PM
  #45
TeamBandWagon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 48
vCash: 2928
Holtby and Dubnyk will likely go head to head a week from this Tuesday, March 14th. Then again 2 weeks later March 28th. Maybe those games can provide a little separation. This matchup will also feature two of the leagues top/better teams. A must watch!

TeamBandWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2017, 01:50 PM
  #46
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trick9 View Post
He shouldn't, but he plays in Montreal (as opposed to Washington, Minnesota or Columbus) so he might. Less than 2 months of great hockey shouldn't really get him Vezina when Dubnyk, Holtby and Bob have been great for pretty much the entire season. Especially if they finish with better stats to boot.




Is it still a hot streak when it's been going on for nearly 3 months? Okay.

What stats are those? Holtby has the best record among goalies, leads them in wins, shutouts and GAA (nobody even close to him on that). This isn't January anymore. Holtby has surpassed Dubnyk in every statistic other than the save percentage. He hasn't lost in regulation in over 2 months.
Save percentage is usually the stats that has the most impact on goalie votings.

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2017, 01:52 PM
  #47
Jakomyte
Registered User
 
Jakomyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Eriksson View Post
Anderson is #4. Best goalie in the NHL since his return from his leave of absence.
Problem with Anderson is that he's played far fewer games (27) than the other top goalies:

- Dubnyk and Holtby: 49
- Bobrovsky and Price: 50

But he has been fantastic when he has played, that's for sure.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2017, 01:53 PM
  #48
WeThreeKings
DJ Salem
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 54,623
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Save percentage is usually the stats that has the most impact on goalie votings.
Goals saved above average is the best metric ATM.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2017, 01:58 PM
  #49
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Goals saved above average is the best metric ATM.
Obviously theres a ton of stats that are better indicator of performance, but the fact is mainstream media still doesnt use those as much as they should.

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2017, 03:20 PM
  #50
kuzy92
Registered User
 
kuzy92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 29
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Save percentage is usually the stats that has the most impact on goalie votings.
OK so Dubnyk has a 934 and Holts has a 933... Huge separation there..

kuzy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.