HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Replacement for Rinne?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-06-2017, 08:47 AM
  #1
SSJ3 Lunar
Who needs offense?
 
SSJ3 Lunar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 2,104
vCash: 500
Replacement for Rinne?

I haven't seen much hockey this year due to my work schedule but from some of the recaps I've seen some of the goals he has let in have been brutal. I miss the Rinne of old, will he stand on his head in the playoffs once again?

If so do we need a new goaltender?

SSJ3 Lunar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 08:48 AM
  #2
triggrman
Registered User
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 22,947
vCash: 557
Saros is the next goalie, he's ready now, IMHO.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 08:50 AM
  #3
SSJ3 Lunar
Who needs offense?
 
SSJ3 Lunar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 2,104
vCash: 500
Haven't seen Saros this year except maybe one game, goaltender Saros is on a similar level with this year?

SSJ3 Lunar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 08:52 AM
  #4
Jonesey
Moderator
Dept. of Defense
 
Jonesey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Smyrna, Tennessee
Country: United States
Posts: 10,174
vCash: 500
As much as I love both our goalies, I don't have faith that either can take us to the cup this season. Pekka's problems are well documented here and I don't think Saros is capable of putting this team on his back.

I do think Saros has the potential to be a good-great goaltender in the future but he's been beaten pretty soundly his last few starts. His last 6 starts have been 3, 5, 4, 3, 2, and 4 goals against.

__________________
Posted by: Live in the Now
I've grown soft.
Jonesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 08:53 AM
  #5
SSJ3 Lunar
Who needs offense?
 
SSJ3 Lunar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 2,104
vCash: 500
Considering it would be nigh impossible to get rid of Rinne at this point, are we just stuck with this fate?

SSJ3 Lunar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 08:57 AM
  #6
Scoresberg
Golden Era Preds
 
Scoresberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oulu
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,658
vCash: 500
The team's problems are on team defense not on the crease.

Scoresberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 09:36 AM
  #7
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kölumboos
Country: United States
Posts: 30,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoresberg View Post
The team's problems are on team defense not on the crease.
That certainly seems to be a large part of it.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 09:36 AM
  #8
schmiedi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 85
vCash: 500
rinne is a great goalie already and saros do his part very well.

but there is no goalie on this earth who can take the cup with this defense

schmiedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 10:15 AM
  #9
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,295
vCash: 500
Saros to solve the sorrows.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 10:55 AM
  #10
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fargo, ND
Country: United States
Posts: 12,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Saros to solve the sorrows.
Saros salves the soul with saves.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 01:51 PM
  #11
triggrman
Registered User
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 22,947
vCash: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmiedi View Post
rinne is a great goalie already and saros do his part very well.

but there is no goalie on this earth who can take the cup with this defense
you mean with the defensive system we're using, because our "defensemen" are some of the top in the league, but that's only 2 of the 5 players responsible for defense in a shift.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 03:35 PM
  #12
Soundgarden
Registered User
 
Soundgarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 10,270
vCash: 500
I feel it's likely that we see Saros get his first taste of NHL playoffs this year before getting more starts next year.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 03:42 PM
  #13
Persona5
Registered User
 
Persona5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,494
vCash: 500
When the D brakes down our goalies have not been there often enough this season. The main issue is the number of brake downs has been far greater this year than in the past. Clean that up and our goalies would look a lot better. Rinne does need to help out more though and make those timely saves more consistently if we have any chance in the playoffs.

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 03:58 PM
  #14
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia
 
Drake744's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 8,352
vCash: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
When the D brakes down our goalies have not been there often enough this season. The main issue is the number of brake downs has been far greater this year than in the past. Clean that up and our goalies would look a lot better. Rinne does need to help out more though and make those timely saves more consistently if we have any chance in the playoffs.
My question though is if the D is more susceptible to breakdowns because of the aggressive system that Lavy preaches, why was Rinne an absolutely world-class goalie before the injury in the first system's first year (14-15) but this season he looks like hot garbage?

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 05:14 PM
  #15
Mortiest Morty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 369
vCash: 500
Preds are near the top of the league in lowest quality of shots allowed/fewest high danger scoring chances allowed. It ain't the defense or system. The problem is in net, period. And it's name is Pekka Rinne, any decent chance goes in and plenty of not-so-decent or worse chances make it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmiedi View Post
rinne is a great goalie already and saros do his part very well.

but there is no goalie on this earth who can take the cup with this defense
Rinne is without a doubt one of the worst "workhorse" starting goalies in the league. By any metric, by the eye test, by any stats. He was once very good, he is now awful. Those are the facts.


Last edited by Mortiest Morty: 03-07-2017 at 12:03 PM.
Mortiest Morty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 07:59 AM
  #16
Persona5
Registered User
 
Persona5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
My question though is if the D is more susceptible to breakdowns because of the aggressive system that Lavy preaches, why was Rinne an absolutely world-class goalie before the injury in the first system's first year (14-15) but this season he looks like hot garbage?
I think it has everything to do with going from Trotz to Lavi. The guys were used to playing such a defensive system that there was a hold over.

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 08:05 AM
  #17
Persona5
Registered User
 
Persona5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortiest Morty View Post
Preds are near the top of the league in quality of shots allowed/high danger scoring chances allowed. It ain't the defense or system. The problem is in net, period. And it's name is Pekka Rinne, any decent chance goes in and plenty of not-so-decent or worse chances make it as well.



Rinne is without a doubt one of the worst "workhorse" starting goalies in the league. By any metric, by the eye test, by any stats. He was once very good, he is now awful. Those are the facts.

I bolded the statement that goes against the point you are making. If the team is giving up that many high quality chances that isn't the goalies fault. Should he be stopping more of those high quality chances? Sure, but when the defense brakes down and allows a guy in the low slot and he puts it in off the post top shelf I can hardly blame Rinne for that.

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 09:06 AM
  #18
Paranoid Android
mug mug mug
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 12,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
I bolded the statement that goes against the point you are making. If the team is giving up that many high quality chances that isn't the goalies fault. Should he be stopping more of those high quality chances? Sure, but when the defense brakes down and allows a guy in the low slot and he puts it in off the post top shelf I can hardly blame Rinne for that.
That was worded weird. He meant we're one of the best teams in the league.

Scoring chances against - 3rd least in nhl
Expected goals against - 5th

But we also give up a good amount of shots against:
Corsi against: 17th
Fenwick against: 17th
Shots against: 13th

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 09:14 AM
  #19
Datsyukian Deke
Is Holland gone yet?
 
Datsyukian Deke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hermitage, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 830
vCash: 500
I say go old school...


Datsyukian Deke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 09:24 AM
  #20
Armourboy
Registered User
 
Armourboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Shelbyville, TN
Posts: 3,506
vCash: 500
I'd be interested to know the stat difference for both Saros and Rinne before and after the pad change was mandatory.

Armourboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 12:08 PM
  #21
Mortiest Morty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 369
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
I bolded the statement that goes against the point you are making. If the team is giving up that many high quality chances that isn't the goalies fault. Should he be stopping more of those high quality chances? Sure, but when the defense brakes down and allows a guy in the low slot and he puts it in off the post top shelf I can hardly blame Rinne for that.
I edited my comment, I thought it would be understood that when I said top in the league, it meant best at limiting those high danger chances. Preds allow the 5th fewest high danger chances, 3rd fewest scoring chances overall, but Rinne is very near the bottom of the league at stopping those high danger chances, including backup goalies... It is not the system, it is not the defense. It's Rinne, period.

I understand the desire to pin it on the system or the defense, after all, Rinne used to be very good. But now he's awful. Sad, but true.

Mortiest Morty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 01:27 PM
  #22
Scoresberg
Golden Era Preds
 
Scoresberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oulu
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortiest Morty View Post
I edited my comment, I thought it would be understood that when I said top in the league, it meant best at limiting those high danger chances. Preds allow the 5th fewest high danger chances, 3rd fewest scoring chances overall, but Rinne is very near the bottom of the league at stopping those high danger chances, including backup goalies... It is not the system, it is not the defense. It's Rinne, period.

I understand the desire to pin it on the system or the defense, after all, Rinne used to be very good. But now he's awful. Sad, but true.
Numerically, we may give up that few high scoring chances, but the chances we're giving up are coming from defensive breakdowns which often leads to goals where the goalie has absolutely zero chance to stop it. I mean, rn, we're making mistakes you shouldn't make when you're playing in the Juniors. I'm not gonna go even into the details, but you gotta watch our games to get some more perspective.

I'm not saying that Rinne is elite by any stretch anymore, but for me it starts and ends with the defense. Until that gets fixed, we're not going far. When our defense was working, Rinne was stopping pucks and hence we were winning. Now, we've gone from that to trying to outscore the opponent like crazy every night.

Scoresberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 01:44 PM
  #23
Mortiest Morty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 369
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoresberg View Post
Numerically, we may give up that few high scoring chances, but the chances we're giving up are coming from defensive breakdowns which often leads to goals where the goalie has absolutely zero chance to stop it. I mean, rn, we're making mistakes you shouldn't make when you're playing in the Juniors. I'm not gonna go even into the details, but you gotta watch our games to get some more perspective.

I'm not saying that Rinne is elite by any stretch anymore, but for me it starts and ends with the defense. Until that gets fixed, we're not going far. When our defense was working, Rinne was stopping pucks and hence we were winning. Now, we've gone from that to trying to outscore the opponent like crazy every night.
Again, you're just flat out wrong. I cut my cable years ago and just have Netflix, Center Ice, etc. I have watched every single Preds game and also watch two games live pretty much every night and replays pretty often. I've seen a few games from every single team this year. The chances the Preds give up aren't any better than any other team on average. Rinne doesn't stop decent chances, and that's why we're having to outscore opponents. If the other team moves the puck around at all, Rinne massively over plays it and leaves angles, comes way out of the net, etc. Sure, sometimes even a great goalie can't stop a grade A chance, but Rinne can't ever make a big stop and is always out of position.

Mortiest Morty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 01:49 PM
  #24
Scoresberg
Golden Era Preds
 
Scoresberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oulu
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,658
vCash: 500
Well, when our defense was playing well, and that was when Josi and/or Subban were out, Rinne was also playing well. Tell me that's not a coincidence? For me, this team's defensive performance reflects directly to Rinne's play.

Yes, he's not the goalie he used to be, but behind a solid, stingy defense (that this team's defense on paper has the ability to be) he's still a good goalie. Behind that all-out offense team that we are now, he isn't and I'll tell you a lot of goalies wouldn't be.

I still think we're not playing exactly like we should be given the players we have.

Scoresberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 01:58 PM
  #25
Mortiest Morty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 369
vCash: 500
He's not a good goalie behind any defense, he's even poor fundamentally and positionally at this point. Sure, he's had some hot streaks, just like any goalie can. Hell, Andrew Hammond is a very bad goalie, but he had a tremendous hot streak not long ago. And sure, if the entire team focus is 100% on helping out Rinne, he would have better numbers. But however you want to rate a goalie: eye test, underlying numbers and advance stats, regular old stats, whatever. Rinne isn't good, by some measures he's even incredibly bad. He's been on a downward trajectory since his breakup and run of injuries and it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Mortiest Morty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.