HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Replacement for Rinne?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-09-2017, 10:36 AM
  #51
triggrman
Registered User
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,176
vCash: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman Yoshi View Post
Goaltenders that are better than Rinne

Price
Rask
Schneider
Anderson
Andersen
Dubnyk
Jones
Quick
Bishop
Talbot
Vaseleski
Crawford
Murray
Reimer
Gibson

That's off the top of my head.

Team defense (especially forward coverage) and goaltending have been our biggest issues this year.
Pretty good list I'd add Bobrovsky too.

I'd also add, I think the forwards are covering exactly how they have been instructed, so to me it's a scheme issue (surely they're not all making the exact same mistake, consistently.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 10:44 AM
  #52
Mortiest Morty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAngle View Post
Rinne is in clear decline but not as bad as some say, while Saros is not The Man as some think in only 16 games. Rinne was even the #1 star of the month in the season.

I just wish they rested Rinne much more hoping to have 2016 playoffs Rinne.

Be an interesting offseason. Selfishlessly I'd love one more season here for Rinne before he heads off to a great retirement.
Yes, Rinne has had one great month, one really good month and three ATROCIOUS months. He can still have hot streaks, but he can also have streaks where he plays ECHL level hockey. I don't think Saros is a savior and I'm not sure if he can even handle being a starter at 21. What I am certain of, is that he is just flat out better than Rinne at this point. Much more often than not, he would give the team the best chance to win over Rinne.

Mortiest Morty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 10:45 AM
  #53
Byrddog
Registered User
 
Byrddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,772
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh24 View Post
Question to anyone who watches other teams as well.

Are the high danger zone chances we give worse than what other teams give up? I mean, we give up little, but could they be more dangerous?

We often seem to collapse pretty close to Rinne, which leads to our guys focusing on the puck too much, which leads to pretty damn good chances when opposing team players can sneak up that close to the net.
I do not know if we give up more but when the play collapses into the crease there are many other teams better at clearing the puck out of danger. Teams that are better in the east Ottawa, Rangers, Florida, Islanders, Pens in the west Sharks, Elfs, Flames, Kings. The problem many times the guys we have in close are puck watching, it is imperitive as we all know when a goalie makes the first save that the other players need to clear the puck from the danger area even if it is to the boards where the Preds are better than most teams at gaining control in those battles.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 11:36 AM
  #54
Vali Maki Sushi
Foster the People
 
Vali Maki Sushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Pingtung City
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 3,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortiest Morty View Post
Yes, Rinne has had one great month, one really good month and three ATROCIOUS months. He can still have hot streaks, but he can also have streaks where he plays ECHL level hockey. I don't think Saros is a savior and I'm not sure if he can even handle being a starter at 21. What I am certain of, is that he is just flat out better than Rinne at this point. Much more often than not, he would give the team the best chance to win over Rinne.
He had a mep October where the entire team was terrible. He had an elite November. He had a bad December. He had a great January. He had a bad February, but not atrocious. Currently having a weak March.

Vali Maki Sushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 11:40 AM
  #55
Vali Maki Sushi
Foster the People
 
Vali Maki Sushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Pingtung City
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 3,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh24 View Post
Question to anyone who watches other teams as well.

Are the high danger zone chances we give worse than what other teams give up? I mean, we give up little, but could they be more dangerous?

We often seem to collapse pretty close to Rinne, which leads to our guys focusing on the puck too much, which leads to pretty damn good chances when opposing team players can sneak up that close to the net.
As a fan that watches both the Flames, Sens, and Blues. Let me explain some things:

Flames don't give up too many initial high danger chances, but they are terrible at preventing secondary chances, due to poor rebound control from Elliott, poor puck tracking and handling, and the defense can't clear the puck for god sakes! Blues high danger chances are not really dangerous at all and Allen and Hutton were both just dreadful at stopping them. Blues play a system that makes sure the goalies see the puck, so slot shots really aren't dangerous. But Allen is an unorthodox goalie, which is why this strategy has it's disadvantage. Elliott fit perfectly because he relied on positioning, and was able to see the puck in perfect condition in the slot. Sens are kinda a mixed bag. They can give up some really WTF terrible chances, but at the same time they are consistent in making sure that the goalies don't have to worry too much about the dangerous chances, but they concede a lot of shots overall.

Preds are probably the best team in the league in preventing secondary chances, but we give up a lot of initial especially high danger shots from what I notice and with both Rinne and Saros struggling in the slot, this usually leads to goals, which means there's no point for a secondary chance.

Vali Maki Sushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 11:49 AM
  #56
Vali Maki Sushi
Foster the People
 
Vali Maki Sushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Pingtung City
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 3,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
I do not know if we give up more but when the play collapses into the crease there are many other teams better at clearing the puck out of danger. Teams that are better in the east Ottawa, Rangers, Florida, Islanders, Pens in the west Sharks, Elfs, Flames, Kings. The problem many times the guys we have in close are puck watching, it is imperitive as we all know when a goalie makes the first save that the other players need to clear the puck from the danger area even if it is to the boards where the Preds are better than most teams at gaining control in those battles.
Flames are absolutely not better at clearing pucks. They are one of the worst in the league due to sloppy rebound control, terrible puck tracking from goaltending, bad puck handling and movement, and the defense just can't clear the puck that well. Preds are actually a great team at clearing pucks, they just allow way too many initial chances (Many which become goals or is frozen by the goalie, eliminating the need for a secondary chance).

Vali Maki Sushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 12:49 PM
  #57
Mortiest Morty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainierBeat View Post
He had a mep October where the entire team was terrible. He had an elite November. He had a bad December. He had a great January. He had a bad February, but not atrocious. Currently having a weak March.
Not atrocious? A save percentage of .890 and a GAA over 3.00 isn't atrocious? Then what in the world is? His December I guess, where he turned in a save percentage of .875. Atrocious means extremely brutal, if that ain't the very definition of atrocious in regards to goaltending play, then I don't know what is.

Mortiest Morty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 12:58 PM
  #58
Vali Maki Sushi
Foster the People
 
Vali Maki Sushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Pingtung City
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 3,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortiest Morty View Post
Not atrocious? A save percentage of .890 and a GAA over 3.00 isn't atrocious? Then what in the world is? His December I guess, where he turned in a save percentage of .875. Atrocious means extremely brutal, if that ain't the very definition of atrocious in regards to goaltending play, then I don't know what is.
Atrocious goaltending is seasonal terrible goaltending (Like Hiller). His play in December was terrible, but not atrocious. His goaltending in February was simply very bad. Atrocious goaltending also means the goalie themselves were responsible for a lot of the chances (Hiller again, and Crawford during 2011-2012). Rinne minus the last few weeks never truly caused unnecessary secondary chances or gave the opposition extra chances even when he played poorly.

Vali Maki Sushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 01:05 PM
  #59
glenngineer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 5,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainierBeat View Post
Atrocious goaltending is seasonal terrible goaltending (Like Hiller). His play in December was terrible, but not atrocious. His goaltending in February was simply very bad. Atrocious goaltending also means the goalie themselves were responsible for a lot of the chances (Hiller again, and Crawford during 2011-2012). Rinne minus the last few weeks never truly caused unnecessary secondary chances or gave the opposition extra chances even when he played poorly.
I'll ask a simple question, what category does the first goal the other night fall under. Shot from the point with no traffic, fails to catch it, falls to Getzlaf who scores. I'd like to know your definition for clarity.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 01:31 PM
  #60
Mortiest Morty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainierBeat View Post
Atrocious goaltending is seasonal terrible goaltending (Like Hiller). His play in December was terrible, but not atrocious. His goaltending in February was simply very bad. Atrocious goaltending also means the goalie themselves were responsible for a lot of the chances (Hiller again, and Crawford during 2011-2012). Rinne minus the last few weeks never truly caused unnecessary secondary chances or gave the opposition extra chances even when he played poorly.
Well, I'll just have to say I think this is an atrocious opinion, with completely random justifications (Atrocious goaltending is seasonal? You can't be atrocious over the course of an entire month? Where does that even come from? They have to be "responsible for chances"? Just letting in goals like a seive isn't enough? Good to know ) and leave it at that.


Last edited by Mortiest Morty: 03-09-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Mortiest Morty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 02:01 PM
  #61
Vali Maki Sushi
Foster the People
 
Vali Maki Sushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Pingtung City
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 3,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I'll ask a simple question, what category does the first goal the other night fall under. Shot from the point with no traffic, fails to catch it, falls to Getzlaf who scores. I'd like to know your definition for clarity.
Falls under the category of not being ready for NHL caliber goaltending, but it doesn't count as giving away chances like candy.

Vali Maki Sushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 02:48 PM
  #62
glenngineer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 5,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainierBeat View Post
Falls under the category of not being ready for NHL caliber goaltending, but it doesn't count as giving away chances like candy.
Is it atrocious, bad, very bad, inadequate?

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 02:54 PM
  #63
Mortiest Morty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Is it atrocious, bad, very bad, inadequate?
Fun With Words!

Mortiest Morty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 03:51 PM
  #64
Byrddog
Registered User
 
Byrddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,772
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainierBeat View Post
Flames are absolutely not better at clearing pucks. They are one of the worst in the league due to sloppy rebound control, terrible puck tracking from goaltending, bad puck handling and movement, and the defense just can't clear the puck that well. Preds are actually a great team at clearing pucks, they just allow way too many initial chances (Many which become goals or is frozen by the goalie, eliminating the need for a secondary chance).
The Flames absolutely move the puck better than the Preds most of the time. And IMO from seeing them the last month particularly they clear the crease better. In fact I am surprised they were as bad as they were last season and at the start of this season. I also talked about the Flames passing the Preds in the standings back in Dec when they started to play better. They have and I do not expect the Flames to let up much, sure there winning streak will end outside the Fl and Yotes game last month they held opposing team to 3 goals twice times and 2 or fewer 8 times and some were pretty damn good teams Pens, Elfs, Bolts Panthers and Kings. I did not say they were top in the west but they have been noticable.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 07:32 PM
  #65
Roman Yoshi
Joey: A New Hope
 
Roman Yoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Franklin, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 7,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Pretty good list I'd add Bobrovsky too.

I'd also add, I think the forwards are covering exactly how they have been instructed, so to me it's a scheme issue (surely they're not all making the exact same mistake, consistently.
Jesus. Forgot Bob and Holtby.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 09:38 PM
  #66
triggrman
Registered User
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,176
vCash: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman Yoshi View Post
Jesus. Forgot Bob and Holtby.
Forgot holtby too.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 10:23 PM
  #67
Vali Maki Sushi
Foster the People
 
Vali Maki Sushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Pingtung City
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 3,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
The Flames absolutely move the puck better than the Preds most of the time. And IMO from seeing them the last month particularly they clear the crease better. In fact I am surprised they were as bad as they were last season and at the start of this season. I also talked about the Flames passing the Preds in the standings back in Dec when they started to play better. They have and I do not expect the Flames to let up much, sure there winning streak will end outside the Fl and Yotes game last month they held opposing team to 3 goals twice times and 2 or fewer 8 times and some were pretty damn good teams Pens, Elfs, Bolts Panthers and Kings. I did not say they were top in the west but they have been noticable.
First off all not trying to be ignorant, but who in the world are the Elves? Flames move the puck better because their forwards are better defensively, but we give secondary chances out like candy. Remember the 6-5 OT game against the Flames a while back? The Preds allowed significantly more initial chances from what I saw, but the Flames allowed more overall chances because they were terrible in preventing secondary chances, whereas the Flames rarely got a secondary chance because Rinne allowed the initial shot and Saros froze every puck that hit him. The Flames were bad last season because we had terrible goaltending. Hiller alone gave away like 5 chances all by himself per game (While being even worse at stoppin the puck compared to Rinne), whereas Rinne minus the last few weeks actually prevented chances.


Last edited by Vali Maki Sushi: 03-09-2017 at 10:31 PM.
Vali Maki Sushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 10:26 PM
  #68
Drake744
Tennessweden
 
Drake744's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 9,434
vCash: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainierBeat View Post
First off all not trying to be ignorant, but who in the world are the Elves? Flames move the puck better because their forwards are better defensively, but we give secondary chances out like candy. Remember the 6-5 OT game against the Flames a while back? The Preds allowed significantly more initial chances from what I saw, but the Flames allowed more overall chances because they were terrible in preventing secondary chances, whereas the Flames rarely got a secondary chance because Rinne allowed the initial shot and Saros froze every puck that hit him.
I think he's calling Minnesota the elves.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2017, 12:27 AM
  #69
glenngineer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 5,748
vCash: 500
I love how our 6'5" goalie continually gets beat high when he goes in to his butterfly way too quick but Saros who is small gets lambasted on how he's always going to get beat high. Love the double standard.

Rinne is positionally horrible.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2017, 01:04 AM
  #70
Mypetrobot
sua sponte
 
Mypetrobot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I love how our 6'5" goalie continually gets beat high when he goes in to his butterfly way too quick but Saros who is small gets lambasted on how he's always going to get beat high. Love the double standard.

Rinne is positionally horrible.
Or maybe how both goalies play butterfly?

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cross...oters-aim/amp/

So at least a taller goalie will block more of the net than a shorter goalie? Even Mitch Korn and a former scout and goalie has had said the same.

Quote:
Stephen McKichan Of course athletic smaller goalies can make it but the article was slightly misleading. Mitch Korn will still tell you they go for bigger EVERY time when other factors are equal. The first question I get from D1 coaches I speak to weekly is “how tall is he”… Other issues are that there are some myths. People assume larger goalies are less athletic which is patently and scientifically documented as false. People are asssuming that larger goalie somehow miraculously aren’t tracking pucks exactly as well as smaller goalies. False. They all use the same coaches. The bigger holes argurment is spurious becasue the percentage of goals scored through the goalie is at all time lows because goalies have been better trained to deny access with newer techniques. This year draft wise could also be a statically anamoly and until the NHL average drops from 6′ 2” then this article is highly speculative. Remember that for each team’s draft of 7 rounds only one kid actually makes the NHL. So until we actually see a plethora of smurfs in the NHL the premise is premature. I never dissuade smaller goalies from reaching their goals. I just make sure they understand their journey will be more difficult. And on final point that may help you understand WHY they choose bigger goalies when all else is equal. First you need to understand that goalies still have to have pucks hit them the majority of the time by making reactionary reads to the situation and then setting up a block. Ie/ point shot through a screen. In this common situation, size REALLY matters as reactions, puck tracking etc are not available. The overall surface area of a taller goalie covers more net than a smaller goalie and by definition over a season a bigger goalie will have more “accidental” saves that just hit them and go wide. Whereas the smaller goalie gets a piece of the same puck that goes in. It is just reasonable to understand. So smurfs keep plugging away and understand you will have to be clearly better than the bigger kid.

Mypetrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2017, 03:40 AM
  #71
JustaFinnishGuy
Registered User
 
JustaFinnishGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 827
vCash: 500
Replacement for Rinne is Saros. But when that replacement will happen is.. well in the future.
Every game Saros plays lights out his defence is way too lenient. When Pekka plays, the defence seems to not remember to box out guys at the netfront.
And Pekka isn't the same Pekka because of whom I started to be a fan of this team.

Furthermore, you don't need consistent .92-.93 sv% to win a cup. Niemi '2010 sv% .910, somewhat Murray '2016 (Never really tested especially in the finals), Quick '2015 sv% .911... Of course they flash the leather sometimes but it will always be that the team that defends better wins. Also the better team wins best of 7's every time. You can't upset a better team 4 times in 7 games on the back of, say Price, Holtby or even 2011 Thomas, that is if you don't have the means to score goals.
Right now we're in a stretch with a record of 5-2-3. During this period Rinne has been .873 in 7 games. That's bad. Saros has been starting in 3 games, and logging
.906 in those. We don't even have .910 goaltending right now. All we need is a consistent .915-ish sv% from either and we'd be pretty well off.

What I'm coming at it doesn't matter what our goalies do. As long as the goaltending is good enough for playoffs and between .910-shutout in the playoffs, the whole issue doesn't matter to me. The better team wins any way possible.

JustaFinnishGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2017, 06:47 AM
  #72
Byrddog
Registered User
 
Byrddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,772
vCash: 50
Saros is no better than Rinne and for that matter Rinne kept the team in the game last night. Yes there are nights he is not good any longer but until Saros can prove he can put wins in the column there is no reason for Lavi to make the change.

MOD: Byrd, you know how to spell his name.


Sure I do and I do not need you to be a spelling NAZI as well and I find it curious that my posts in observation was deleted as well as the one from predfan98 about the grammer and spelling NAZIS here yet the MOD left the post about my spelling. You may become tired changing my spelling because until Faila and Saros prove they are due my correct spelling of there names that is how I will refer to them.


Last edited by ThirdManIn: 03-12-2017 at 03:13 PM. Reason: stop
Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2017, 09:12 AM
  #73
Drake744
Tennessweden
 
Drake744's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 9,434
vCash: 344
I was looking at situational numbers between Saros and Rinne. Many of us have blasted Rinne for several years now for either being a world beater or a guy who could get lit up starting against the Knoxville Ice Bears, depending on any given night. Those same of us have let Saros's win total slide a little bit and praise his vision, calmness and intangibles, while being more consistent.

Stats in wins:
Rinne - 1.82 GAA, .937 SV%
Saros - 1.57 GAA, .951 SV%

Both really good, but most goalies will have good stats in games they win, so take it for what it's worth.

Stats in losses:
Rinne - 3.31 GAA, .893 SV%
Saros - 2.98 GAA, .902 SV%

This is where I think Saros's record can be overblown or looks worse than his stats indicate. Even in losses he's keeping his goals allowed under 3 and saving more than 90% of shots. Rinne's save percentage here isn't abysmal, but that GAA is pretty rough. Hence, when he's off, he's off.

I looked up some other goalies, both elite and otherwise, and wanted to compare the same stats to get some perspective on how they stack up:

Winning starts:
Holtby - 1.54/.942
Price - 1.58/.945
Bobrovsky - 1.45/.951
Jones (SJ) - 1.47/.946
Dubnyk - 1.74/.940
Crawford - 2.17/.931


Losing starts:
Holtby - 2.97/.896
Price - 3.33/.890
Bobrovsky - 3.38/.885
Jones (SJ) - 3.45/.871
Dubnyk - 2.61/.916
Crawford - 3.06/.901

Take it for what it's worth I guess, just wanted to throw it out there.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2017, 09:27 AM
  #74
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kölumboos
Country: United States
Posts: 31,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I was looking at situational numbers between Saros and Rinne. Many of us have blasted Rinne for several years now for either being a world beater or a guy who could get lit up starting against the Knoxville Ice Bears, depending on any given night. Those same of us have let Saros's win total slide a little bit and praise his vision, calmness and intangibles, while being more consistent.

Stats in wins:
Rinne - 1.82 GAA, .937 SV%
Saros - 1.57 GAA, .951 SV%

Both really good, but most goalies will have good stats in games they win, so take it for what it's worth.

Stats in losses:
Rinne - 3.31 GAA, .893 SV%
Saros - 2.98 GAA, .902 SV%

This is where I think Saros's record can be overblown or looks worse than his stats indicate. Even in losses he's keeping his goals allowed under 3 and saving more than 90% of shots. Rinne's save percentage here isn't abysmal, but that GAA is pretty rough. Hence, when he's off, he's off.

I looked up some other goalies, both elite and otherwise, and wanted to compare the same stats to get some perspective on how they stack up:

Winning starts:
Holtby - 1.54/.942
Price - 1.58/.945
Bobrovsky - 1.45/.951
Jones (SJ) - 1.47/.946
Dubnyk - 1.74/.940
Crawford - 2.17/.931


Losing starts:
Holtby - 2.97/.896
Price - 3.33/.890
Bobrovsky - 3.38/.885
Jones (SJ) - 3.45/.871
Dubnyk - 2.61/.916
Crawford - 3.06/.901

Take it for what it's worth I guess, just wanted to throw it out there.
Incidentally - that, right there, is why I think Dubnyk is the rightful frontrunner for the Vezina, despite my other team having their starter in the conversation.

Rinne strikes me as bizarre in that he seems to miss routine saves but makes saves most folks would have no business making. Stats seem like they back that up. So it's entirely possible that this is less performance by the goaltenders and more a psychological effect on the part of the players in front of him - normally when a routine save is missed, that means you're in trouble, but with Rinne it seems part of the bizarro package.

I dunno, I'm just kind of rambleguessing here. Trying to come up with something other than "g-ddamnit, roll four lines already and/or fire Lavi before I strangle him".

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2017, 11:13 AM
  #75
Scoresberg
Golden Era Preds
 
Scoresberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oulu
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaFinnishGuy View Post
Replacement for Rinne is Saros. But when that replacement will happen is.. well in the future.
Every game Saros plays lights out his defence is way too lenient. When Pekka plays, the defence seems to not remember to box out guys at the netfront.
And Pekka isn't the same Pekka because of whom I started to be a fan of this team.

Furthermore, you don't need consistent .92-.93 sv% to win a cup. Niemi '2010 sv% .910, somewhat Murray '2016 (Never really tested especially in the finals), Quick '2015 sv% .911... Of course they flash the leather sometimes but it will always be that the team that defends better wins. Also the better team wins best of 7's every time. You can't upset a better team 4 times in 7 games on the back of, say Price, Holtby or even 2011 Thomas, that is if you don't have the means to score goals.
Right now we're in a stretch with a record of 5-2-3. During this period Rinne has been .873 in 7 games. That's bad. Saros has been starting in 3 games, and logging
.906 in those. We don't even have .910 goaltending right now. All we need is a consistent .915-ish sv% from either and we'd be pretty well off.

What I'm coming at it doesn't matter what our goalies do. As long as the goaltending is good enough for playoffs and between .910-shutout in the playoffs, the whole issue doesn't matter to me. The better team wins any way possible.
Very good point. Our goalies are capable of doing that. We just need more possession in order to keep the other team from scoring and our team defense has to tighten up (it was better last night even w/o Ellis)

Scoresberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.