HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Replacement for Rinne?

Old
03-10-2017, 11:39 AM
Byrddog

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Incidentally - that, right there, is why I think Dubnyk is the rightful frontrunner for the Vezina, despite my other team having their starter in the conversation.

Rinne strikes me as bizarre in that he seems to miss routine saves but makes saves most folks would have no business making. Stats seem like they back that up. So it's entirely possible that this is less performance by the goaltenders and more a psychological effect on the part of the players in front of him - normally when a routine save is missed, that means you're in trouble, but with Rinne it seems part of the bizarro package.

I dunno, I'm just kind of rambleguessing here. Trying to come up with something other than "g-ddamnit, roll four lines already and/or fire Lavi before I strangle him".

Duby deserves consideration but we know it will not happen.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2017, 11:50 AM
triggrman

vCash: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
Duby deserves consideration but we know it will not happen.
Why not?

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2017, 12:09 PM
predfan24

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mypetrobot View Post
Or maybe how both goalies play butterfly?

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cross...oters-aim/amp/

So at least a taller goalie will block more of the net than a shorter goalie? Even Mitch Korn and a former scout and goalie has had said the same.
I agree in general. It doesn't take a genius to understand a bigger goalie is going to take up more space. In Rinne's case however I believe this advantage is mitigated by the fact that Rinne has a tendency to hunch over and make himself small.

The replacement for Rinne is Saros. At a very young age he has already played in two pro leagues against men and put up standout numbers. Goalies are hard to predict but Saro's development up to this point point to nothing else but him having a good potential of being a #1 in the NHL. Of course I am not ready to proclaim him a savior. He will have to prove it at the highest level. That time is coming. Everybody should just be patient.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2017, 12:33 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
I agree in general. It doesn't take a genius to understand a bigger goalie is going to take up more space. In Rinne's case however I believe this advantage is mitigated by the fact that Rinne has a tendency to hunch over and make himself small.

The replacement for Rinne is Saros. At a very young age he has already played in two pro leagues against men and put up standout numbers. Goalies are hard to predict but Saro's development up to this point point to nothing else but him having a good potential of being a #1 in the NHL. Of course I am not ready to proclaim him a savior. He will have to prove it at the highest level. That time is coming. Everybody should just be patient.
Could not agree more about being patient but he has not excelled in the NHL in 08 09 when Pekka came in he was 29-15-4 in his 52 games the next season he played 58 games and was 32-16-5 this was after playing 145 games in the AHL. The kid has played 17 NHL games and is 7-7-3 and only played 53 games in the AHL and is 21 he is not ready for the reins he is here because Maz is terrible and Poile made a mistake not getting a back -up. And like you I think he has potential but not developing him is hurting the team and will hurt his career. There is time the question is will the organization be patient with him send him to the AHL for a full season or two at his age and give him the best chance to be a starter in the league or will they continue on this path and watch him struggle and perhaps drown in the deep end?

Old
03-10-2017, 12:49 PM
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia

vCash: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
Could not agree more about being patient but he has not excelled in the NHL in 08 09 when Pekka came in he was 29-15-4 in his 52 games the next season he played 58 games and was 32-16-5 this was after playing 145 games in the AHL. The kid has played 17 NHL games and is 7-7-3 and only played 53 games in the AHL and is 21 he is not ready for the reins he is here because Maz is terrible and Poile made a mistake not getting a back -up. And like you I think he has potential but not developing him is hurting the team and will hurt his career. There is time the question is will the organization be patient with him send him to the AHL for a full season or two at his age and give him the best chance to be a starter in the league or will they continue on this path and watch him struggle and perhaps drown in the deep end?
If this is truly the case will you let it go if he plays in Milwaukee next year in the scenario that Poile signs a backup?

Serious question though, for Ads fans ideally, what can Saros afford to improve on by staying in the AHL another year? Yeah I get that he's only 21 but from the numbers and little tidbits I see online it doesn't seem like there's a whole lot to dislike when he's in Milwaukee. Is there something about the way he plays that could be improved? Is he simply better off maturing and getting used to the North American game at the AHL level? Like I said, ideally I'd like someone who watches Milwaukee on a regular basis to put their opinion in here but just wanted to see what people thought. I'm on the outside but I think the theory that Saros needs to be in the A for another year or two in order to develop the right way could be a little overblown.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2017, 01:35 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
If this is truly the case will you let it go if he plays in Milwaukee next year in the scenario that Poile signs a backup?

Serious question though, for Ads fans ideally, what can Saros afford to improve on by staying in the AHL another year? Yeah I get that he's only 21 but from the numbers and little tidbits I see online it doesn't seem like there's a whole lot to dislike when he's in Milwaukee. Is there something about the way he plays that could be improved? Is he simply better off maturing and getting used to the North American game at the AHL level? Like I said, ideally I'd like someone who watches Milwaukee on a regular basis to put their opinion in here but just wanted to see what people thought. I'm on the outside but I think the theory that Saros needs to be in the A for another year or two in order to develop the right way could be a little overblown.
If he were allowed to play a full year in Milwaukee I would feel much more comfortable for sure. He has a good record in Milwaukee but not a full 82 game season. Between Nashville and Milwaukee this year he has played 31 games last year he played 39 games in North America and the two years before played 44 and 47 games respectively in Europe. SO yes playing 70 games in the AHL in a season would prove a point he could make the grind of a NA season and that is important. Combine that with the fact that not very many goalies hit the NHL under 23 years old and have a great deal of success much the same as with defensemen goalies mature later . And to out of necessity force the kid to sit and just p,lay 30 games split between the two for two years IMO is detrimental to his development and ultimately to his long term chances not to mention the impact of the NHL team. Just one example look at Braden Holtby the caps juggled him early in his career and his game and effectiveness was hampered until 3 years ago when he turned 24 and solidified his spot. The same thing applies to Faila he considered he was ready to play here at 18 and hes still not ready. There is no reason for him to be on the roster if he is to be in a 3rd or 4th line role or sitting in the pressbox or sent down to get his **** together. Poile made the spot for him because he thought he was ready to put up 40 points and he wil not going to do half of that. He had issues of immature acts in the past that have seemed to be resolved but the lack of maturity is as big of a issue in his game as anything else and its primarily surrounded by he attitude he belongs here at 20 more than anything else. Theres no argument he has skills but the experience part is what he misses. Is it coincidence both of these guys played in adult leagues in europe and feel entitled to a spot in the NHL right away? Or could it be that the level of competition combined with the rink size is an adjustment there struggling with? Both these guys were not elite picks guarantee non NHL misses but they are the best the team has which could well explain the elite envy of some who pump them so much including Stu.