HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Jordie Benn

Old
03-06-2017, 09:35 AM
SB164

vCash: 500
Jordie Benn

I think it's time Jordie Benn has his own thread.

How impressive has he been since being traded to Montreal?

There a couple of things I really like about him so far: he's got poise and he doesn't treat the puck like a hot potato, and he's actually a pretty impressive skater given his size and position

As far as I'm concerned, Jordie Benn has totally solidified that 3rd pairing. In fact, to be honest, he doesn't look like a #6th defenseman right now. He looks like a #4.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 09:39 AM
TennisMenace

I'm loving him, beard and all. I also like what he said about being his own person, not just being the brother.

Go Jordy Go! Thanks for being patient with Beaulieu. Teach him some good things please.

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 09:57 AM
lamp9post

It's been two games, but from what I've seen:

- I like his composure with the puck in the defensive zone. Always seems to make the right decision and keeps things simple.

- Seems to be pretty good at gap control and when the opponent dumps it in, Benn is good at using body position to make it difficult for the opponent to skate around him. Even though he's not the fastest guy, he doesn't often get beat to a puck in the corner.

- Good shot blocker and PK'er. Gives Markov a break from PK work if he can play the PK with Weber.

Overall, he's like a bigger, better Gorges at 1/4 of the cost. So far I'm pleased.

lamp9post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 10:03 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
A while back I posted in the Pateryn thread (before his trade) saying he was an average, if not below average, bottom pairing defenceman. I got called out to explain what I meant as it apparently makes no sense, but I think the performance of Jordie Benn shows what a good bottom pairing defenceman is.

People liked Pateryn and felt he deserved more of a shot. I thought he had very questionable decision making with the puck and wasn't the best skater. Benn gives the Habs 3 solid pairings. No longer do we wince when we see Johnston and Barberio on the ice. Think of how simple and important it is to be able to trust any pairing in any situation.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 10:04 AM
KawaYui

but but he's barely a 7th D and is worse than Pateryn

KawaYui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 10:05 AM
beaverBFP

Lol I was talking to my friends last week and we said he was solid and reminded us of Gorges. Love the acquisition, hopefully he can keep it up.

beaverBFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 10:10 AM
LaP

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverBFP View Post
Lol I was talking to my friends last week and we said he was solid and reminded us of Gorges. Love the acquisition, hopefully he can keep it up.
He's pretty much Gorges 2.0 with a slightly bigger frame and more sand paper.

He'll help you on a 3rd pairing if you pay him under 2 millions. If you start hyping him too much like some are doing right now and start thinking he can be a top 4 and pay him accordingly then it'll end like it did for Gorges.

LaP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 10:21 AM
LyricalLyricist
Retired

vCash: 50
Why did Dallas bother trading him? Not suggesting he's untouchable but is there any reason?

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 10:25 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Why did Dallas bother trading him? Not suggesting he's untouchable but is there any reason?
The sort of obvious answer is that they weren't going to protect him, and thought they risked losing him for nothing at expansion.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 10:26 AM
Yoshidas Island
Profilic Punner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
They were going to lose him in the expansion draft, so they feel as though they might as well get something for him while they still could.

Yoshidas Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 10:30 AM
habdynasty

Plays a good positional game , make good quick decisions with the puck. I hope the habs can keep him this summer.

Fear the beard.

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 10:47 AM
Pax Macioretty

Amazing addition. His puck moving skills are far better than what was sold to us and he makes all the simple plays required. I can't believe the gap between him and Pateryn was a 4th round pick. What a steal.

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 10:50 AM
bleuetbio

vCash: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Bean View Post
They were going to lose him in the expansion draft, so they feel as though they might as well get something for him while they still could.
I like what he did for us recently, but I cant imagine for a minute Vegas claims him

bleuetbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 10:54 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax Macioretty View Post
Amazing addition. His puck moving skills are far better than what was sold to us and he makes all the simple plays required. I can't believe the gap between him and Pateryn was a 4th round pick. What a steal.
As I suggested at the time, a 4th round pick didn't seem out of line in terms of the difference of over 200 games experience and development in the difference. And don't be fooled, 200 games ago Jordie Benn was barely worth what Pateryn is now, let alone with a 4th rounder tacked on top.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 11:01 AM
76ftw

vCash: 2307
Pretty good for one of the worst defenseman in the league

76ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 11:19 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
The sort of obvious answer is that they weren't going to protect him, and thought they risked losing him for nothing at expansion.
Bill said that was why he traded him but I sincerely still don't know why he'd make that trade. Is having a lesser D who you know won't be good enough to lose worth losing a better D in Benn for a 4th at the possibility he'll be taken over 30 other D?

I'd have kept him but that their loss and our gain! Guys been solid. Not only is he the 3rd pair anchor but his calmness with the puck seems to have settled Beau as well.

Best trade for us this year so far. Thanks Mrs. Pateryn!

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 11:24 AM
Habster33
In Habs we trust!

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he said to Beaulieu to do his thing and he'll be there to back him up?

I don't remember who said it but if he actually said that, awesome!

Habster33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 11:55 AM
Scriptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamp9post View Post
It's been two games, but from what I've seen:

- I like his composure with the puck in the defensive zone. Always seems to make the right decision and keeps things simple.

- Seems to be pretty good at gap control and when the opponent dumps it in, Benn is good at using body position to make it difficult for the opponent to skate around him. Even though he's not the fastest guy, he doesn't often get beat to a puck in the corner.

- Good shot blocker and PK'er. Gives Markov a break from PK work if he can play the PK with Weber.

Overall, he's like a bigger, better Gorges at 1/4 of the cost. So far I'm pleased.
To me, more like a Hal Gill, only he can skate and actually hits instead of just wrapping is arms around opponents. So, nothing like Hal Gill, actually

Scriptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 11:55 AM
Scriptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habster33 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he said to Beaulieu to do his thing and he'll be there to back him up?

I don't remember who said it but if he actually said that, awesome!
That's what Benn said.

Scriptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 12:07 PM
jaffy27
From Russia wth Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverBFP View Post
Except he makes a third of the money and then some, and, he adds a physical edge which Gorges didn't...

Amazing reading the first page of this thread and the first page of his traded for Pateryn thread......you can weed out the posters that are objective and the ones that are full of ****.....

jaffy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 12:07 PM
skipp18

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
A while back I posted in the Pateryn thread (before his trade) saying he was an average, if not below average, bottom pairing defenceman. I got called out to explain what I meant as it apparently makes no sense, but I think the performance of Jordie Benn shows what a good bottom pairing defenceman is.

People liked Pateryn and felt he deserved more of a shot. I thought he had very questionable decision making with the puck and wasn't the best skater. Benn gives the Habs 3 solid pairings. No longer do we wince when we see Johnston and Barberio on the ice. Think of how simple and important it is to be able to trust any pairing in any situation.
The members of this community ALWAYS over value our own players and prospects.
There was a huge outcry on this board when we unloaded guys like Diaz (remember him) and Sekac.
According to some Sekac was supposed to solve all of our scoring problems. He's not even in the NHL anymore.

Patteryn was a 6-7 D-man at best, borderline NHLer. Benn is an NHLer.

skipp18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 12:08 PM
Quagmier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaP View Post
He's pretty much Gorges 2.0 with a slightly bigger frame and more sand paper.

He'll help you on a 3rd pairing if you pay him under 2 millions. If you start hyping him too much like some are doing right now and start thinking he can be a top 4 and pay him accordingly then it'll end like it did for Gorges.
I understand the Gorges comparison, but from what I've seen of Benn (in Montreal and in Dallas) the difference in his game is that, unlike Gorges, he has the puck skills and agility to start a breakout consistently. I loved Gorges, but the guy was basically a walking, breathing argument in favor of advanced stats.

Julien has highlighted the habs need for a controlled breakout (he called it a soft dump...and, well, im not about to start saying that). Having 6 dmen in the lineup (well 5 and Emelin) who can make poised breakout passes will be a huge asset.

Quagmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 12:57 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Super soft on that Kreider goal the other night. But then he scored a goal himself, so I guess it nets out.

Looking better than I expected, at least. Let's hope he can keep it up.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 01:19 PM
sergejean

He brings experience and a willingness to play as needed. No shortcut in his game, no none sense. Predictible and steady which is what you need for a no. 6 D

sergejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 01:22 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Bean View Post
The good thing about collecting so many players that might get claimed in the draft is that not all of them will now.

donghabs98 is online now   Reply With Quote