HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Forward line discussion

Old
03-06-2017, 10:13 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

vCash: 500
Forward line discussion

What do you believe the team will look like with PAP and Salomaki coming into the lineup? I know Salomaki has been gone a LONG time but PAP's scoring might help. My idea is this:

Forsberg-Johansen-Arvidson
PAP-Fisher-Neal
Wilson-Hook-Smith
Sissons-Fiddler-Watson

Fiala-Short term rest in the box
Z-long term resident in the box.

JOFA line is explanatory.

PFN line puts a lot of scoring on a line which will get a lot of minutes. This is IF Neal is out of Lavy's doghouse/Neal quits being and in house heel/whatever explanation we don't know about.

Wilson plus Smith has historically been a fit. Wilson has called a turd polish for time to time in relation to Smith. I think both their skills sets are a match.

I want Sissons on the 4th line because I like the idea of as many centers as you can on the 4th line.

Fiala in the box for a short time because his scoring which he has been acclaimed for has slowed to a point where it's not visible. Give hims a game or two to work on what he has to work on. Then move PAP to Smith's spot and cycle Fiala/PAP/Smith and play the hot hand.

I want to see in the next 15 days to experiment and find this team's happy spot.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 10:21 AM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
What do you believe the team will look like with PAP and Salomaki coming into the lineup? I know Salomaki has been gone a LONG time but PAP's scoring might help. My idea is this:

PAP-Fisher-Neal
Wilson-Hook-Smith
Sissons-Fiddler-Watson

Fiala-Short term rest in the box
Z-long term resident in the box.

JOFA line is explanatory.

PFN line puts a lot of scoring on a line which will get a lot of minutes. This is IF Neal is out of Lavy's doghouse/Neal quits being and in house heel/whatever explanation we don't know about.

Wilson plus Smith has historically been a fit. Wilson has called a turd polish for time to time in relation to Smith. I think both their skills sets are a match.

I want Sissons on the 4th line because I like the idea of as many centers as you can on the 4th line.

Fiala in the box for a short time because his scoring which he has been acclaimed for has slowed to a point where it's not visible
. Give hims a game or two to work on what he has to work on. Then move PAP to Smith's spot and cycle Fiala/PAP/Smith and play the hot hand.

I want to see in the next 15 days to experiment and find this team's happy spot.
My issue here is this
1) Sissons and Fiddler do not belong together These two should be the changing pieces. Fiddler is total trash right now (worse than Nystrom was here at the end of his tenure) and we should only play him in times where we need his left handedness in the line up.

2) Smith should be the one sitting. He has 2 more goals than Fiala in 23 more games. You are harping on Fiala not scoring, but not looking at who he is playing with.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 10:46 AM
jumb0

PAP-Fisher-Neal
Wilson-Jarnkrok-Fiala
Salomaki-Sissons/Fidler-Watson

jumb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 10:53 AM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

I'd kick Fiddler to the bench, then put Fiala on the Sissons-Watson line and see if they can produce.

Note that I very deliberately did not call that "the fourth line", because if you're looking at team construction from a "first-second-third-fourth line" perspective in the modern NHL - specifically, as regards those lines' "traditional roles" - YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 01:11 PM
MrJoshua

PAP is a right-hand-shooting right winger. I'd use him to push Smith down to the 4th line.

Forsberg-Johansen-Arvidsson
Wilson-Jarnkrok-Neal
Fiala-Fisher-PAP
Whatever combination of Fiddler, Salomaki, McLeod, Watson, Smith, etc.

MrJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 01:29 PM
Paranoid Android
mug mug mug

I agree with Josh. It's time for Smith to ride pine.

Guess I'm in the minority, but I've been happy with Fiddler so far. Watson is a lock as well. The last spot can rotate between Smith, McLeod, Salomaki depending on the opponent.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 01:48 PM
triggrman

vCash: 557
I don't know what Sissons brings to the table.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 01:49 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I agree with Josh. It's time for Smith to ride pine.

Guess I'm in the minority, but I've been happy with Fiddler so far. Watson is a lock as well. The last spot can rotate between Smith, McLeod, Salomaki depending on the opponent.
IMO, McLeod is in before Fiddler IMO and really Salomaki should be in before Smith and Fiddler at this point (depending on Salomaki's playing condition)

Old
03-06-2017, 01:50 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I don't know what Sissons brings to the table.
Other than being a vet, what does Fiddler bring? He's garbage, more so than anyone on this roster. I see Nystrom 2.0 in him.

Old
03-06-2017, 01:51 PM
Scoresberg
No more Willy :(

JOFA
Wilson-Fisher-Neal (golden last year in the poffs)
PA-Hook-Smith
McLeod-Sissons-Watson

Fiddler a nice locker room guy but let's see what we can get out of Sissons when the stakes are high.

Salo won't see the NHL this year, IMO. McLeod has been great and not afford to have any rust there.

Fiala has gotten a lot of good experience in the NHL this year, he'll be ready to take that top-6 role next year. Rn, PA will give us more production than Fiala, and he can go log heavy minutes down to MIL and help their playoff push. We need Smith get out of his slump and I'm sure he can do that. Not sure if he can do it this year. When injuries hit, Fiala is a great replacement. Also, if Smith-PA combo doesn't click. If Smith can't get it going the next 5-10gms, I think it's his time to sit the rest of the season. But we have to hope he comes around, in order to LV to take him.

Not hating the PA-Neal combo, either.

Scoresberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 01:54 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoresberg View Post
JOFA
Wilson-Fisher-Neal (golden last year in the poffs)
PA-Hook-Smith
McLeod-Sissons-Watson

Fiddler a nice locker room guy but let's see what we can get out of Sissons when the stakes are high.

Salo won't see the NHL this year, IMO. McLeod has been great and not afford to have any rust there.

Fiala has gotten a lot of good experience in the NHL this year, he'll be ready to take that top-6 role next year. Rn, PA will give us more production than Fiala, and he can go log heavy minutes down to MIL and help their playoff push. We need Smith get out of his slump and I'm sure he can do that. Not sure if he can do it this year. When injuries hit, Fiala is a great replacement. Also, if Smith-PA combo doesn't click. If Smith can't get it going the next 5-10gms, I think it's his time to sit the rest of the season. But we have to hope he comes around, in order to LV to take him.

Not hating the PA-Neal combo, either.
If I am not mistaken, Fiala is not eligible for the AHL playoffs due to him being on the NHL roster and not AHL roster as of the NHL trade deadline.

Old
03-06-2017, 01:59 PM
Scoresberg
No more Willy :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
If I am not mistaken, Fiala is not eligible for the AHL playoffs due to him being on the NHL roster and not AHL roster as of the NHL trade deadline.
Ah okay, so the plan is to keep him up the rest of the season. Well, fresh bodies and competition never hurts. 15+ games before the poffs to find the right combos.

Scoresberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 01:59 PM
triggrman

Quote:
Other than being a vet, what does Fiddler bring? He's garbage, more so than anyone on this roster. I see Nystrom 2.0 in him.
Faceoffs, defensive play and leadership.

Old
03-06-2017, 02:03 PM
Preds33

Quote:
and terrible penalties. 21 PIM in 13 games. Solid leadership right there.

Old
03-06-2017, 02:04 PM
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia

vCash: 344
Quote:
I'd take Nystrom 10 times before Fiddler.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 02:06 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I'd take Nystrom 10 times before Fiddler.
Which is exactly my point. Nystrom was god awful but he was better than Fiddler is.

Old
03-06-2017, 02:07 PM
predfan24

Insert PAP, sit Smith, keep Fiala playing. Even though the numbers aren't coming yet Fiala has been solely responsible for creating the majority of decent offensive opportunities between him, Fish and Smith. Smith has simply fallen off the deep end. Keep the 4th McLeod, Fids and Watson. They are doing a good job getting in physically on the forecheck and creating momentum.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 02:08 PM
triggrman

Quote:
and terrible penalties. 21 PIM in 13 games. Solid leadership right there.
17 minutes in 2 games, and one of those was a fighting major, so yeah, might be some leadership there....

I asked what does Sissons bring you answered by asking the same about Fiddler, I answered. So now, it's your turn, what does Sissons bring.

Old
03-06-2017, 02:25 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Which is exactly my point. Nystrom was god awful but he was better than Fiddler is.
The only thing I can think of that Nystrom does better than Fids is goalscoring.

I'm of the opinion that the Fiddler acquisition was unnecessary. The difference between a Fids led 4th line and a Sissons led 4th line is not playoff success or failure. However, what's done is done and since it happened I think right now at this moment Fids is the best option to center the 4th.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 02:42 PM
Persona5

I personally would line them up like this.

Forsberg - Johanson - Arvidson
PAP - Jarnkrok - Neal
Wilson - Fisher - Fiala
Smith - Fiddler - Watson

Swap in Mcleod for Smith if need be but Watson can handle those duties imo.

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 04:40 PM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

Quote:
IOW, he's a "third defenseman" type center on a team whose head coach is demonstratively contemptuous of the very concept, judging by how his players handle defensive rotation and backchecking. If we're going to stick with Lavi, let's play the game he wants to play.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 06:52 PM
SauceMyBiscuit

PAP is like a more skilled Fiala with more finish

SauceMyBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2017, 07:15 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceMyBiscuit View Post
PAP is like a more skilled Fiala with more finish
LOL... There's a reason he's become a journeyman these last few years. If he was so great he wouldn't have been passed around as much as he has been.

Old
03-06-2017, 07:17 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
The only thing I can think of that Nystrom does better than Fids is goalscoring.

I'm of the opinion that the Fiddler acquisition was unnecessary. The difference between a Fids led 4th line and a Sissons led 4th line is not playoff success or failure. However, what's done is done and since it happened I think right now at this moment Fids is the best option to center the 4th.
he's another Gaustad. Good at face offs and terrible everywhere else.

Old
03-06-2017, 10:28 PM
SauceMyBiscuit

Quote:
LOL... There's a reason he's become a journeyman these last few years. If he was so great he wouldn't have been passed around as much as he has been.
Well he hasn't been sent down to the AHL has he? LOL

SauceMyBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote