HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Forward line discussion

Old
03-06-2017, 10:38 PM
Preds33

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceMyBiscuit View Post
Well he hasn't been sent down to the AHL has he? LOL
Well he was waived at the start of the year so he was on his way.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 02:39 AM
sparkle twin
Goals? Nah, I pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
If I am not mistaken, Fiala is not eligible for the AHL playoffs due to him being on the NHL roster and not AHL roster as of the NHL trade deadline.
Fiala and Saros were "reassigned" to Milwaukee a few days ago so they would be eligible for the ahl playoffs.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 08:56 AM
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia

vCash: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceMyBiscuit View Post
PAP is like a more skilled Fiala with more finish

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 12:33 PM
Mortiest Morty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Well, the finish part is true anyways. I don't think Craig Smith and Fiala could score on a 2-0 break with an empty net. It's crazy, you'd think dumb luck would send at least one puck in, but nope.

Mortiest Morty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 04:39 PM
Cogsbreakaway

I remember saying that Arvy would play on the first line within two years, during pre season last season.

Not one person in here or on the main boards agreed with me. 😎

/ Nostradamus

Cogsbreakaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 05:13 PM
triggrman

vCash: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogsbreakaway View Post
I remember saying that Arvy would play on the first line within two years, during pre season last season.

/ Nostradamus
I know I would not have.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 05:27 PM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

Quote:

/ Nostradamus
I recall being on record even then as comparing him to Atkinson. I therefore claim partial credit.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 06:43 PM
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia

Quote:

/ Nostradamus
I remember saying three years ago that our surprise positive signing would be Stalberg. Two summers ago I said that Fiala would be a contributor right away. I was consistently adamant that Jones would never be traded, and thinking that Cody Franson was a good pickup. So if you guys and gals ever want some good hockey opinions, holla at your boy over here.

Old
03-07-2017, 08:47 PM
klt2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoresberg View Post
JOFA
Wilson-Fisher-Neal (golden last year in the poffs)
PA-Hook-Smith
McLeod-Sissons-Watson

Fiddler a nice locker room guy but let's see what we can get out of Sissons when the stakes are high.

Salo won't see the NHL this year, IMO. McLeod has been great and not afford to have any rust there.

Fiala has gotten a lot of good experience in the NHL this year, he'll be ready to take that top-6 role next year. Rn, PA will give us more production than Fiala, and he can go log heavy minutes down to MIL and help their playoff push. We need Smith get out of his slump and I'm sure he can do that. Not sure if he can do it this year. When injuries hit, Fiala is a great replacement. Also, if Smith-PA combo doesn't click. If Smith can't get it going the next 5-10gms, I think it's his time to sit the rest of the season. But we have to hope he comes around, in order to LV to take him.

Not hating the PA-Neal combo, either.
I like your lines the best. It would give us two threatening lines and two solid lines imo.

Last edited by klt2001: 03-07-2017 at 08:55 PM.
klt2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2017, 12:47 AM
Cogsbreakaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I recall being on record even then as comparing him to Atkinson. I therefore claim partial credit.
But Atkinson was a third-liner two years ago? 😎

Cogsbreakaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2017, 03:20 AM
RainierBeat
Foster the People

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
My issue here is this
1) Sissons and Fiddler do not belong together These two should be the changing pieces. Fiddler is total trash right now (worse than Nystrom was here at the end of his tenure) and we should only play him in times where we need his left handedness in the line up.

2) Smith should be the one sitting. He has 2 more goals than Fiala in 23 more games. You are harping on Fiala not scoring, but not looking at who he is playing with.
Even though both struggle defensively, Smith in my opinion is still better defensively than Fiala.

RainierBeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2017, 03:25 AM
Armourboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainierBeat View Post
Even though both struggle defensively, Smith in my opinion is still better defensively than Fiala.
Eh let's not act like Smith is great defensively. Fiala has gotten better at it, it's been the one plus side to him being sent down last season.

The big reason I would go with Fiala at this point, he at least can create, Smith really can't do much more than shoot, which is why if he doesn't score he's basically worthless.

Armourboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2017, 03:28 AM
RainierBeat
Foster the People

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
Eh let's not act like Smith is great defensively. Fiala has gotten better at it, it's been the one plus side to him being sent down last season.

The big reason I would go with Fiala at this point, he at least can create, Smith really can't do much more than shoot, which is why if he doesn't score he's basically worthless.
Both of them are below average defensive wingers as opposed to how good both Forsberg and Arvidsson play defensively. But I'm just saying Smith is still better, even if he sucks defensively. Smith has the lowest Dzone starts in the league and yet still can't produce...

Old
03-08-2017, 03:45 AM
Armourboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainierBeat View Post
Both of them are below average defensive wingers as opposed to how good both Forsberg and Arvidsson play defensively. But I'm just saying Smith is still better, even if he sucks defensively. Smith has the lowest Dzone starts in the league and yet still can't produce...
I don't think you are helping your own argument much

Old
03-08-2017, 03:47 AM
RainierBeat
Foster the People

Quote:
I don't think you are helping your own argument much
Being in the Ozone doesn't mean you're bad defensively as Smith is still a possession generating monster. But at the same time advanced stats are terrible in Smith's scenario as Smith is basically the most sheltered forward in the league (Ribeiro used to be even more sheltered LOL). Basically in short Smith's advanced stats show he is good defensively, but in reality he isn't because he is super sheltered and eye test speaks the opposite of good defensively.

Old
03-08-2017, 04:53 AM
Scoresberg
Golden Era Preds

Alright, I'm done. I don't ever want to see that kind of game again, we were just flat out dominated. Our 4th line and 3rd pair were horrid all night. We need some possession, I'd bring Ribs back up one more time and give him a shot. We don't have that legit #2C, so what we lose in quality we have to replace it in quantity. Joey-Jarny-Ribs-Fish is a good combination down the middle. Honestly, is this any worse lineup than what we rolled with last night?

Forsberg-Joey-Arvy
Wilson-Jarny-Neal
Parenteau-Ribs-Smith (Smith can take the FO's)
McLeod-Fisher-Watson (a great 4th line, IMO)

That gives us 4 lines that can all score and not get their ***** kickes like the 4th line last night.

Josi-Ellis
Ek-Subban
Bitetto-Irwin (now I know those are both LHD, but Irwin has shown he can play on the off side of his, in fact he's probably been better there). Weber has been our worst D by far and Bitetto is more responsible and adds grit to the lineup what we need. He's also a great locker room guy.

If Ribs doesn't pan out switch him with Fiala and switch McLeod with Sissons and voila you still have 4 lines who can score. Like PA-Fisher-Watson and Fiala-Sissons-Smith. Those 2 first lines are pretty much a lock, IMO.

Scoresberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2017, 08:17 AM
Scoresberg
Golden Era Preds

Vernon Fiddler and Cody McLeod have a 28.3 CF% when together this season. They were both minus-11 in shot attempts last night.

Laughable.

Scoresberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2017, 01:50 PM
Gh24

Fiala has been more of a playmaker than a goal scorer lately. He should be put with Neal or PAP if he's in lineup.

Quote:
Fiala has gotten better at it, it's been the one plus side to him being sent down last season.
He's made some big backchecking plays. I've been impressed with him in that regard.

Last edited by Gh24: 03-08-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Gh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2017, 02:15 PM
Armourboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh24 View Post
Fiala has been more of a playmaker than a goal scorer lately. He should be put with Neal or PAP if he's in lineup.

He's made some big backchecking plays. I've been impressed with him in that regard.
Yup something I've noticed over the season that doesn't get much attention around here. He is young, he is going to make mistakes, the key is not to let mistakes cloud the fact he is getting better at what was considered his weakness.

I don't have a real problem with bringing Ribs back up, his abilities aren't great anymore, but his effort and attitude I think was the real cause of him getting the boot. If they brought him back and he gave a good effort every night and just can't do it anymore I can at least be ok with that. Not playing great while also half as sing it ain't gonna cut it (which shocked me happened in a contract year )

Old
03-09-2017, 08:04 PM
Mypetrobot
sua sponte

Quote:
Yup something I've noticed over the season that doesn't get much attention around here. He is young, he is going to make mistakes, the key is not to let mistakes cloud the fact he is getting better at what was considered his weakness.

I don't have a real problem with bringing Ribs back up, his abilities aren't great anymore, but his effort and attitude I think was the real cause of him getting the boot. If they brought him back and he gave a good effort every night and just can't do it anymore I can at least be ok with that. Not playing great while also half as sing it ain't gonna cut it (which shocked me happened in a contract year )
This is the only sauce I could find but unless the rules have changed after the deadline you can have as many players on the active roster provided they are one of the 50 contracts.

https://committedindians.com/hockey-411-roster-limits/

Quote:
According to Article 16 Section 4, the 23-man roster limit is in place from the conclusion of the preseason until 12:01 am on the day of the NHL’s Trade Deadline. After that teams are allowed to have an unlimited active roster at the NHL level, provided players are signed to one of their 50 contract slots (note: players assigned back to their junior clubs do not count towards the 50).
So do the preds really hate ribs that much not call him up?

Mypetrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2017, 05:02 AM
LeafingTheWay

Forsberg - Johanson - Arvidson
Fiala - Jarnkrok - Neal
Wilson - Fisher - PAP
Smith - Fiddler - Watson

If it were up to me and it wasnt this late into the season, I would be splitting up the top line even though it's been remarkable as of late.

LeafingTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2017, 07:03 AM
Byrddog

vCash: 50
Many of you listen far too much to Willie and Stu. All they do is gush about Fiala and Smith. Sure Fiala had a goal last night but from the opening game he was to be a big part of this team. The truth is he has not been. He was granted the trust to put up 20 and have 40. He has 8 goals and 3 asst's and has been physically sent down twice this year. For an 82 game season hes pacing at 22 points. But the two dummies broadcasting have to rail with every shift he or Smith have. Both players have played up and down the lines for those who use the excuse. Heck even Neal has played every line except 4th which is probably next.

If these two had lived up to there hype there would be no beating up on goal tending like there is now and the team would not be in the playoff fight they are now in.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2017, 08:15 AM
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
Many of you listen far too much to Willie and Stu. All they do is gush about Fiala and Smith. Sure Fiala had a goal last night but from the opening game he was to be a big part of this team. The truth is he has not been. He was granted the trust to put up 20 and have 40. He has 8 goals and 3 asst's and has been physically sent down twice this year. For an 82 game season hes pacing at 22 points. But the two dummies broadcasting have to rail with every shift he or Smith have. Both players have played up and down the lines for those who use the excuse. Heck even Neal has played every line except 4th which is probably next.

If these two had lived up to there hype there would be no beating up on goal tending like there is now and the team would not be in the playoff fight they are now in.
Who in the world is taking Willy and Stu's words as gospel and who in the world is thinking Fiala is a big part of the team? Saying "people were thinking he was going to be a big part of the team but the truth is he hasn't been" doesn't mean we're all in denial and think he is anyway. Everyone knows he's been disappointing on the scoresheet.

In regards to "living up to their hype", Fiala hasn't but he's 20 years old. Big damn deal. Smith is gonna be 28 when next season starts. That's not hype, that's a problem.

Old
03-10-2017, 08:35 AM
Byrddog

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Who in the world is taking Willy and Stu's words as gospel and who in the world is thinking Fiala is a big part of the team? Saying "people were thinking he was going to be a big part of the team but the truth is he hasn't been" doesn't mean we're all in denial and think he is anyway. Everyone knows he's been disappointing on the scoresheet.

In regards to "living up to their hype", Fiala hasn't but he's 20 years old. Big damn deal. Smith is gonna be 28 when next season starts. That's not hype, that's a problem.
Drake there has been no one on this board as critical of Smith than I have been. I honestly have no idea how the guy had three 20 goal seasons he is that bad. He has benefited from other players he has been lined up with in the past for some reason Ollie was one of them he also had segments where he was decent with Fish. When he is exposed like he has been this season when he needs to be the one performing hes a dud.

As for Faila you know who gave him the spotlight? David Poile did when he did not get a top 6 wing last summer preferring to gamble on the kid.

And there are a number of posters who gush here over Saros and Fiala just like Willie and Stu do about those two and Smith.

Both Smith and Faila were to be a big part of hitting the scoresheet thats why Poile took the chance on the kid and pays Smith 4 mil a year. Faila is 20 and has been so damn impatient he has convinced even the GM he could do the job, well he has not. Regardless at some point Poile will give up on him no matter how flashy if he does not find some way to hit the scoresheet he is of little use. There is no remedy for Smith he will continue to eat up cap space due to the term of the contract. His trade value is pretty much negative at this point. But night in night out we can count on Wille and Stu to drool over both those guys.

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 03-12-2017 at 03:12 PM. Reason: stop
Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2017, 09:16 AM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
Many of you listen far too much to Willie and Stu. All they do is gush about Fiala and Smith.
Oh. So that explains why you keep kvetching about Fiala. He's endorsed by the hated announcers and compared by them to the hated winger. Therefore he too is worthy of hate. Right?

Y'know, if we were icing four lines like most successful teams do we could reduce Smith's responsibilities and it wouldn't look like some sort of horrible condemnation of doom. Cycling players when they're strong. But nooo, The First Line Is For Dominating and The Second Line Is Backup Scoring and The Third Line Is Immense Shutdown Responsibility and The Fourth Line Is A Waste Of Icetime and that's all they can ever be because reasons. Never mind that every current successful NHL team has thrown that crap out the window. TRADITION!

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote