HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

ESPN to experience massive layoffs of on air talent

Old
03-07-2017, 09:49 AM
CHRDANHUTCH

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
So you mean the NBA contract cant change? Isnt that one hurting the most as bball ratings have not grown enough for it?

I also thought Fox got the WC for a steal?
YOU have to remember, ESPN is a division of Disney, which is why ESPN now absorbed ABC Sports and remember in the US, ABC is a big 3 grandfathered network then, the only sublet of that is ABC News IS NOT part of the format.

simple answer, cutchemist, the NBA contract isn't up for renewal, and all 3 broadcast networks have had the NBA package at some point, Fox wasn't/didn't exist then...

then there's the local deals that each NBA team has as well as the proliferation of leagues having their own network, ie, NFL Network, NHL Network, and NBA TV, AS WELL as MLB Network, SO THEY ARE IN THE BIDDING for contracts, also.

CHRDANHUTCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 09:55 AM
Cirris

vCash: 50
Send a message via Yahoo to Cirris
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Stannis View Post
I didn't think they had much left to cut. I despise ESPN so I could care less.
So that means you do care, even if it's just a little.

Cirris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 11:11 AM
King_Stannis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Great news! Hope it shows people are sick of politics being shoved down their throats during their sports programming. Also it would be nice if they discovered there are other sports besides basketball and football.
Unfortunately it's precisely because they discovered another sport, soccer (thank you John Skipper), that the NHL has suffered over there. Take a look at the sports listed on their "favorites bar" of their site and you'll see soccer is on there but the NHL is relegated to the three dot "other sports" menu. Skipper's plan was to promote soccer from day one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirris View Post
So that means you do care, even if it's just a little.
Uh...sure.

King_Stannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 11:16 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Cobain View Post
They better not get rid of Linda Cohn, she's great and a huge hockey fan. Her, Buccigross, Steve Levy and maybe another anchor or two on ESPN always make sarcastic remarks about the terrible hockey coverage. They have, maybe had now, too many years and notoriety to get in trouble for calling out their own company. I always loved it though, but with that said ESPN has become a joke.
Linda Cohn is also arguably the most widely respected woman in the pro sports industry. She's been a part of the core group of SC anchors for like 20 years now, and has more than earned her stripes. You don't replace that sort of anchor with "younger, prettier" any more than you replace Al Michaels with a more attractive guy. If they give Cohn the axe, it's a sign that the endgame isn't that far away.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 11:19 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Unfortunately it's precisely because they discovered another sport, soccer (thank you John Skipper), that the NHL has suffered over there. Take a look at the sports listed on their "favorites bar" of their site and you'll see soccer is on there but the NHL is relegated to the three dot "other sports" menu. Skipper's plan was to promote soccer from day one.

Uh...sure.
Anyone who uses ESPN.com regularly has the bar in the order they want it.

Mine goes NHL-MLB-NFL-Soccer-NCAAF-NCAAM

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 11:21 AM
Datsyukian Deke
Is Holland gone yet?

They've turned into MSNBC with sports, injecting political views whenever convenient thanks to their parent company. Serves them right more and more people are getting their sports elsewhere...

Datsyukian Deke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 11:28 AM
King_Stannis

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Anyone who uses ESPN.com regularly has the bar in the order they want it.

Mine goes NHL-MLB-NFL-Soccer-NCAAF-NCAAM
I just looked, the default bar is - NFL NBA MLB NCAAM NCAAF Soccer ...

I'll wager not many people bother to change that order.

King_Stannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 11:30 AM
Datsyukian Deke
Is Holland gone yet?

Quote:

Probably not. It's something one can change once they log in with whatever screen name they have for the site, depending on their likes.

Old
03-07-2017, 11:38 AM
Terrier

My favorite show on the ESPN networks is ESPN FC. Beyond that, ESPN has become an overexposed phalanx of talking heads and meaningless college basketball games.

Terrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 11:44 AM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Has not been relevant in about 10-15 years. Age of the internet, nearly unlimited sources of sports journalism and coverage makes ESPN nearly irrelevant in the sports media landscape.

Reminds me of the demise of MTV. Started out as the defacto TV source for music, to today which is now the furthest thing from a music television network.

Crescent Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 11:47 AM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:

UH, NOT exactly, Jayski's now uses the same platform

Old
03-07-2017, 11:59 AM
Gardner McKay
Global Moderator
You had to be there

Quote:
Great news! Hope it shows people are sick of politics being shoved down their throats during their sports programming. Also it would be nice if they discovered there are other sports besides basketball and football.
Part of the reason I haven't turned on ESPN in years. I used to love Sportscenter. From the late 90's - 2007, ESPN was almost always on my TV. I would watch Around the Horn religiously.

Can't remember the last time I willingly turned on ESPN. I think it was when I found out Stuart Scott died. I wanted to see the tribute and growing up he was always my favorite anchor.

Old
03-07-2017, 12:42 PM
Datsyukian Deke
Is Holland gone yet?

Quote:
Jemele Hill is a joke and used to always bring race into everything. Idk if she still does because you couldn't pay me to watch her. I remember her saying that the Falcons only drafted Matt Ryan because he was a white QB, that he was undeserving and that they were just getting someone who was the opposite of Vick. Even the other people on the show shut her down.
Agreed 100%, I don't think she could talk about a topic and not bring race into it one way another, sadly there are too many who make their living off of that. Plus she's a Sparty alum, so that says a lot too...

Old
03-07-2017, 01:16 PM
SCBlueLiner

What is even worse for me than the politics ESPN shoves down our throat is the mistreatment of hockey. Last weekend I tuned into the Minnesota vs. Michigan NCAA game on one of the SPN networks. During the first intermission I was expecting some game analysis and maybe some highlights of some other college hockey games, I was, after all, watching an NCAA hockey game. What I got instead was a 20 minute plug for the upcoming Duke vs UNC basketball game, then more college basketball talk, then more Duke vs UNC hype. The second intermission was the exact same thing. I'd had enough, I flipped over to the Penguins game on another channel and never turned it back.

I really wish that Fox Sports North had that game with their regular Gopher crew doing the game instead.

SCBlueLiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 01:22 PM
Gnashville
One and Done

Quote:
Jemele Hill is a joke and used to always bring race into everything. Idk if she still does because you couldn't pay me to watch her. I remember her saying that the Falcons only drafted Matt Ryan because he was a white QB, that he was undeserving and that they were just getting someone who was the opposite of Vick. Even the other people on the show shut her down.
She has a chip on her shoulders and thinks everyone is out to get her and anyone that disagrees with her is either racist or sexist. She actually said that anyone that disagrees with Colin Kaepernick was a bigot, he supported Fidel Castro and she still said the same thing. Funny that Kaepernick will no longer kneel when he is looking for a free agent deal.

Funny she is not even the worst one on ESPN Bomani Jones is awful. He said RG3 was not even black because he was a Republican and called Cam Newton a sellout. He constantly refers to "white people" with distain. He openly hates hockey and even criticized Seth Jones for not playing basketball like his dad.

I just turned on ESPN and "NFL Live" is on followed by "NBA: the Jump" then the daily "I can scream louder than you" shows. Then Jemele and her boyfriend gets an hour to play the race card and call everyone bigots.

Last edited by Gnashville: 03-07-2017 at 01:38 PM.
Gnashville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 01:40 PM
Pilky01

ESPN is that TV channel in American hotel rooms that just talks about the NFL combine, right?

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 01:47 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
ESPN is that TV channel in American hotel rooms that just talks about the NFL combine, right?
nope, that's the NFL OWNED Network

Old
03-07-2017, 01:52 PM
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards Escape Goat

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
nope, that's the NFL OWNED Network
Pretty sure the comment you're responding to was a joke. (And it's not particularly false, either).

Bear of Bad News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 02:18 PM
swimmer77
No 2nd guess, grind!

Watched ESPN a lot in the earlier years but it is all just too corny. I never, ever watch Sport Center. Watched PTI for a little bit because of the format. Don't watch that anymore either.

The only thing I watch ESPN related anymore are the commercials with the mascots - always thought some of those were really good. LOL

Last edited by swimmer77: 03-07-2017 at 02:18 PM. Reason: too, not to
swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 02:35 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
She has a chip on her shoulders and thinks everyone is out to get her and anyone that disagrees with her is either racist or sexist. She actually said that anyone that disagrees with Colin Kaepernick was a bigot, he supported Fidel Castro and she still said the same thing. Funny that Kaepernick will no longer kneel when he is looking for a free agent deal.

Funny she is not even the worst one on ESPN Bomani Jones is awful. He said RG3 was not even black because he was a Republican and called Cam Newton a sellout. He constantly refers to "white people" with distain. He openly hates hockey and even criticized Seth Jones for not playing basketball like his dad.

I just turned on ESPN and "NFL Live" is on followed by "NBA: the Jump" then the daily "I can scream louder than you" shows. Then Jemele and her boyfriend gets an hour to play the race card and call everyone bigots.
When I hear people like that, I just think about the WWF. These people are playing a character and trying to make people hate them. Wouldn't be surprised if the Iron Shiek is coaching them.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 02:42 PM
CoryForVezina
Aspiring 1%er

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryForVezina View Post
I don't even know their names, but the two idiots ESPN just gave a show to are hated and ignored by 95% of viewers. It's the two younger-ish black individuals, one female and one male. They suck. And ESPN just gave them a show....so I fail to see them righting the ship any time soon.
Quote:
Yes! That's one of the two. Insufferable.

CoryForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 02:59 PM
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?

Awards:
Quote:

And that's ESPN in a nutshell anymore, even on the radio side of things. Bomani's a ****ing idiot and as a North Carolinian I apologize on behalf of everyone out there for subjecting everyone else to that idiot being in the sports talk world mainly because of one hockey-bashing article in 2006 when he was an absolute nobody went viral.

Even some of their better personalities like Lebatard play the race card all the damn time, he's just the only one otherwise entertaining enough for me to put up with it.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 04:15 PM
tony d
Ocean Spray

I watch ESPN (Through TSN) shows "Around the Horn" and "PTI", both are decent enough. Still given the internet age and other factors this news shouldn't surprise anyone.

03-07-2017, 04:35 PM
Shoalzie
Found Footage

They have so many redundant programs on the network and it's over saturated.

They have multiple flavors of SportsCenter instead of what is used to be...different anchors would do different nights instead of each group getting a timeslot.

And don't get me started with the talking head shows...PTI and Around the Horn and you can go back to SportsReporters for giving birth the hot take-a-palooza (First Take) and the stupid panel shows like SportsNation.

Here's my hot take...I think they try too hard to give every demographic their own show. The same types shows are just repackaged to gear towards a certain gender or race.

Quite frankly, we don't need SportsCenter and most ESPN programming considering how easy it is to watch highlights and get scores. And they show so many games on TV...it's not like I can watch SportsCenter and not see highlights from something I've already watched.

I'd rather watch ESPN or FS1 or NBCSN for the live sports...and sprinkle in the highlight shows. The rest of it is filler.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 04:41 PM
deflowd

Buccigross should have jumped ship to OLN when hockey did. Barry Melrose is he even still on ESPN? I figured they completely gave up hockey coverage.

deflowd is offline   Reply With Quote