HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

ESPN to experience massive layoffs of on air talent

Old
03-07-2017, 06:15 PM
ek93

vCash: 500
Everything except for an occasional episode of Around the Horn or PTI is complete garbage. And I think I just have a soft spot for those shows because I used to watch them after school when I was growing up. I also used to watch SportsCenter every day before school. Now you couldn't pay me to watch it. It's just NBACenter with some politics mixed in. All the other shows are just absolute garbage. I'd honestly rather watch nothing at all than 99% of what's on that network. And it's not even about them hating hockey. The programming is just utter trash in general.

ek93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 06:32 PM
Vamos Rafa

I hope they don't get rid pf Outside The Lines. I grew up watching that show. It's basically an everyday version of HBO's Real Sports.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 07:12 PM
inthe6ix

So that's why Onrait and O'Toole are coming back to TSN.

inthe6ix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 07:16 PM
Hollywood Burrows

I've never watched ESPN in my life but I hope they fire all the people on twitter that I hate. Eat **** Buccigross.

Hollywood Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 08:45 PM
Preds Partisan
Gunga galunga

Legit question here because I don't watch ESPN other than CFB, but what is all of this politics and ESPN? Is this on their segments of Sports Center or their talk shows, or what? Is this just talking about an athlete's personal views on a political issue or are they actually talking about politics in general?

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 08:48 PM
GarbageGoal
Clint Bobski GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
Legit question here because I don't watch ESPN other than CFB, but what is all of this politics and ESPN? Is this on their segments of Sports Center or their talk shows, or what? Is this just talking about an athlete's personal views on a political issue or are they actually talking about politics in general?
I thought hiring Rush Limbaugh was "politics" myself, but something tells me I'm doing this wrong.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 08:57 PM
Gnashville
Hated Sixer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
And that's ESPN in a nutshell anymore, even on the radio side of things. Bomani's a ****ing idiot and as a North Carolinian I apologize on behalf of everyone out there for subjecting everyone else to that idiot being in the sports talk world mainly because of one hockey-bashing article in 2006 when he was an absolute nobody went viral.

Even some of their better personalities like Lebatard play the race card all the damn time, he's just the only one otherwise entertaining enough for me to put up with it.
Lebatard tries to be funny but is not it is his dad that is the funny one. He was accused of racism recently for criticizing Magic Johnson. The irony was that it what he and Bomani do to everyone else. He angrily criticized baseball for playing in Cuba last year but failed to criticize Obama who set up the game and visit.

Gnashville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 09:22 PM
Gnashville
Hated Sixer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
No they are talking politics instead of sports on some shows.
They even have an article on their now site about it.

http://www.espn.com/blog/ombudsman/p...tical-dynamics

Quote:
“If you’re a Republican or conservative, you feel the need to talk in whispers,” one conservative ESPN employee said. “There’s even a fear of putting Fox News on a TV [in the office].”

But Jemele Hill, co-host of ESPN2’s His & Hers, isn’t buying that. “I would challenge those people who say they feel suppressed,” she said. “Do you fear backlash, or do you fear right and wrong?”
This is why people don't like Hill. She bluntly says she is right any one that disagrees is wrong. Yes some fear backlash, since Curt Shilling got fired for exposing conservative views, others fear being called a racist for disagreeing with her.

Old
03-07-2017, 09:25 PM
GarbageGoal
Clint Bobski GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post

This is why people don't like Hill. She bluntly says she is right any one that disagrees is wrong. Yes they fear backlash, since Curt Shilling got fired for exposing conservative views.
Curt Schilling got a lot of rope during his time there, don't you think?

He's also, even to moderate thinking people, become a clown show since.

Old
03-07-2017, 09:46 PM
Preds Partisan
Gunga galunga

Quote:
No they are talking politics instead of sports on some shows.
They even have an article on their now site about it.
Thanks. Wow. Just seems like bad business to bring politics into sports which is supposed to be an outlet from "real life".

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 11:38 PM
DoyleG
Mr. Reality

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsyukian Deke View Post
Agreed 100%, I don't think she could talk about a topic and not bring race into it one way another, sadly there are too many who make their living off of that. Plus she's a Sparty alum, so that says a lot too...
She wouldn't be anything if she didn't inject race into it. Much the same as Kate Fagan injecting gender into her opinion pieces.

DoyleG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 11:47 PM
BattleBorn
Global Moderator
Dead Dove-Do Not Eat

vCash: 859
Let's please try to steer this ship back on to the business side of the personnel moves versus the personnel themselves.

03-08-2017, 03:23 AM
Lempo
Sugar-Crumbs

vCash: 1351
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBorn View Post
Let's please try to steer this ship back on to the business side of the personnel moves versus the personnel themselves.
Speaking as someone who has no access to ESPN and no idea what anyone is talking about, the named examples of what people mean when they say "politics" are great info, though. The negative audience experience seems to be a big part in why they need to be cutting down the personnel in first place.

The initial look of things sadly suggests to me that it will be from the competent-in-sports end of spectrum where the cuts will be mad.

Lempo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2017, 04:21 AM
homefrontnyc
w/e

Very funny to see people posting negatively about anchors like Jemele Hill and Bomani Jones--who are really not people I care about in any way--but seemingly be upset about Curt Schilling's firing when he's an outright bigot and conspiracy theorist nutjob. Schilling didn't get fired for his "politics", he got fired for YEARS of inane ******** and eventually tweeting anti-transgender things.

At the end of the day, sports IS politics. Being upset about people bringing up politics in sports is silly. These are real human beings with real stakes in the world and there are absolutely issues with race that exist in sports to this day. If you don't want to hear it from Bomani Jones, listen to Wayne Simmonds and PK Subban and Evander Kane when they talk about it. Denying it just makes you willfully ignorant.

Say what you will about ESPN, and obviously their hockey coverage is terrible, but they're still second to none in the sports they actually do cover. If I cared even a little about football, basketball, or baseball I'd watch ESPN a ton.

homefrontnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2017, 07:11 AM
Bluefan75

Quote:
Originally Posted by homefrontnyc View Post
Very funny to see people posting negatively about anchors like Jemele Hill and Bomani Jones--who are really not people I care about in any way--but seemingly be upset about Curt Schilling's firing when he's an outright bigot and conspiracy theorist nutjob. Schilling didn't get fired for his "politics", he got fired for YEARS of inane ******** and eventually tweeting anti-transgender things.

At the end of the day, sports IS politics. Being upset about people bringing up politics in sports is silly. These are real human beings with real stakes in the world and there are absolutely issues with race that exist in sports to this day. If you don't want to hear it from Bomani Jones, listen to Wayne Simmonds and PK Subban and Evander Kane when they talk about it. Denying it just makes you willfully ignorant.

Say what you will about ESPN, and obviously their hockey coverage is terrible, but they're still second to none in the sports they actually do cover. If I cared even a little about football, basketball, or baseball I'd watch ESPN a ton.
Guess it all depends on what side you fall. Many feel that Hill or Jones are just as bigoted in the opposite direction as Shilling, but those are protected views. If you're going to be political as a news organization, shouldn't all viewpoints be fair game(or at least be honest about not being impartial)?

But ESPN has become MSNBC with a bunch of SJWs pushing the "approved" message.

You're right, when they stick to the sport itself, it's very good. But while I'm the first to say that just because athletes make a ton of money, it's for a short time, so make whatever you can, it's really overbearing hearing ESPN talking about the athlete who has it tough because of this or that, when there are real people, who don't have all the privileges of athletes, really facing these problems.

I want to see games. I don't want to have society analyzed by Stephen A. Smith or Jemele Hill. If I want society analyzed, there are far better and more credible sources than them, and their political views have *nothing* to do with why I say that. They are sportswriters for pete's sake. A group that makes 3rd graders look mature.

Bluefan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2017, 07:21 AM
Bluefan75

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
I thought hiring Rush Limbaugh was "politics" myself, but something tells me I'm doing this wrong.
Well that one is tough. It's about bringing viewers to a show. It really wasn't much different than trying Dennis Miller in the MNF booth. But there is a real strong school of thought that other than host/PBP, it must be an ex-player in those spots. So it's tough for them off the hop. But MNF's heyday had Howard Cosell in the booth not as PBP.

I will admit hiring Limbaugh is certainly putting a hot pot of water on the stove and hoping it doesn't boil over, but he had shown to have some aptitude in looking at NFL games and teams. If he could bring some of his radio audience to Countdown, that wouldn't normally watch, it could be a huge boost to ratings.

But it's interesting that Limbaugh can call out the media for overrating McNabb because they want a black quarterback to succeed, and he gets fired for it, but Hill can say Matt Ryan gets drafted only because he's white, and.... crickets.

But the Limbaugh hiring was more driven by a desire for ratings, not politics, IMHO. The politics came when he did exactly what he was told he could do, and they didn't like it.

Bluefan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2017, 09:52 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Quote:
This is wrong. MLB & NFL Network do a better job of covering their leagues. And TNT's studio show is rated far higher than ESPNs for NBA...and Turner also runs NBA TV.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2017, 11:15 AM
Gnashville
Hated Sixer!

Quote:

Bomani Jones wore a shirt stereotyping white people with "Caucasians" on it, and ESPN supported him. They fire others for doing less than that, and turn around and preach diversity.

Yes the politics is the reason for the decline in ESPN. I watch sports and sports coverage to get away from politics, if I wanted that I'd watch CNN, Fox News, or MSNBC.

I care about baseball and ESPN simply does not cover it anymore. Yes they show the games but that's it. Any talk or coverage of the sport is limited to that.

Last edited by Gnashville: 03-08-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old
03-08-2017, 11:21 AM
Datsyukian Deke
Is Holland gone yet?

Quote:
Bomani Jones wore a shirt stereotyping white people with "Caucasians" on it, and ESPN supported him. They fire others for doing less than that, and turn around and preach diversity.

Yes the politics is the reason for the decline in ESPN. I watch sports and sports coverage to get away from politics, if I wanted that I'd watch CNN, Fox News, or MSNBC.

I care about baseball and ESPN simply does not cover it anymore. Yes they show the games but that's it. Any talk or coverage of the sport is limited to that.
Double standards galore indeed, as if there weren't far too many of those, these days.

Datsyukian Deke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2017, 04:34 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
I remember watching the NCAA tournament on ESPN before they were affiliated with Disney. They had rights to the first 2 rounds. They'd have a split screen with 4 games going on at a time and a frantic pace of going from buzzer beater to buzzer beater, with a young Swami as the host. They used to make fun of the networks when they'd have TV stars in the audience for MNF to promote their newest show.

That was probably the best thing I've ever seen on TV. I used to love their coverage of the NHL playoffs, too. But that was a different time and a lot less money involved.

I also have found NFL coverage in general to be almost intolerable due to the level of politics injected, let alone pretty much any show on ESPN. I couldn't care less if they bankrupted and shut down the station.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2017, 06:46 PM
GarbageGoal
Clint Bobski GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefan75 View Post
Well that one is tough. It's about bringing viewers to a show. It really wasn't much different than trying Dennis Miller in the MNF booth. But there is a real strong school of thought that other than host/PBP, it must be an ex-player in those spots. So it's tough for them off the hop. But MNF's heyday had Howard Cosell in the booth not as PBP.

I will admit hiring Limbaugh is certainly putting a hot pot of water on the stove and hoping it doesn't boil over, but he had shown to have some aptitude in looking at NFL games and teams. If he could bring some of his radio audience to Countdown, that wouldn't normally watch, it could be a huge boost to ratings.

But it's interesting that Limbaugh can call out the media for overrating McNabb because they want a black quarterback to succeed, and he gets fired for it, but Hill can say Matt Ryan gets drafted only because he's white, and.... crickets.

But the Limbaugh hiring was more driven by a desire for ratings, not politics, IMHO. The politics came when he did exactly what he was told he could do, and they didn't like it.
Funny you mention Miller, considering Limbaugh whined about him getting the job and labeling it as part of a Disney political agenda (and was probably a pretty big fulcrum to them giving him a shot), even though I don't recall Miller ever saying one political thing in the MNF booth unless it was some generic reference to something historical.

Old
03-08-2017, 06:46 PM
ForumNamePending

I seriously doubt ESPN's alleged political biases has much, if anything, to do with their declining viewership/subscription base. ESPN is hardly the only cable channel, sports or otherwise, seeing steady declines.

In this day and age there are simply better ways to get news, opinion and highlights of your favourite sports and/or teams than watching and waiting for ESPN to get around to covering something you care about. ESPN is losing relevance for the same reason music video channels lost relevance ~15 years ago... Fragmentation of interests and other outlets offering people more efficient ways to follow those interests.

ForumNamePending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2017, 07:04 PM
GarbageGoal
Clint Bobski GOAT

ESPN has a perch to fall from which makes it a story, unlike FS1 and 2, NBC Sports, CBS Sports, etc....which are spinning their tires.

Old
03-08-2017, 08:43 PM
Gnashville
Hated Sixer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I remember watching the NCAA tournament on ESPN before they were affiliated with Disney. They had rights to the first 2 rounds. They'd have a split screen with 4 games going on at a time and a frantic pace of going from buzzer beater to buzzer beater, with a young Swami as the host. They used to make fun of the networks when they'd have TV stars in the audience for MNF to promote their newest show.

That was probably the best thing I've ever seen on TV. I used to love their coverage of the NHL playoffs, too. But that was a different time and a lot less money involved.

I also have found NFL coverage in general to be almost intolerable due to the level of politics injected, let alone pretty much any show on ESPN. I couldn't care less if they bankrupted and shut down the station.
Me too when they focus on sports coverage they are still top notch. But the NBA and NFL coverage is overkill. 3 days of Dallas Cowboys mini camp in May gets old quickly, and nobody cares about the NBA until Cleveland plays Golden State in June. The only days they give to MLB is Opening Day and the 4th of July, and good luck getting hockey coverage.

Old
03-09-2017, 06:04 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Really? You do not understand the context and reasoning behind it? Give us a break with this.

patnyrnyg is online now   Reply With Quote