HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sundin to Predators PROPOSAL

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2006, 11:33 AM
SFD22

vCash: 500
Sundin to Predators PROPOSAL

TO NAS: Mats Sundin + Ken Klee + 2nd 2006

TO TOR: Scottie Upshall + Shea Weber + (salary dump) + 4th 2006 + 4th 2007

Leafs begin the rebuilding and get two young players to add to Steen, Stajan, Cola, Pogge, Rask, etc. Upshall has 2nd/3rd line potential whereas Weber has the potential to be a #1 defender.

The Predators get a #1 centreman and a stay at home defender to increase their cup chances. No team has ever won a cup with the weakness down the middle that the Predators currently have. The Preds have cap room galore and this move is made to put them over the top.

Old
02-07-2006, 11:36 AM
Ovechkin_mvp

Leafs are still pretty much in a race for the 8th playoff spot.

It ain't gonna happen.

Old
02-07-2006, 11:37 AM
ACC1224

Sundin won't be traded, IMO.

Old
02-07-2006, 11:41 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Predators aren't winning the cup this year regardless. Play out this season advance one or two rounds and sign free agent centers in the off season.

Old
02-07-2006, 11:47 AM
Metallian*

why would the leafs trade away their captain.....and then throw in a 2nd to spice things up??

Old
02-07-2006, 11:54 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
According to most Preds fans Weber is untouchable. I doubt they'd want to trade just him for those players (Sundin, Klee). Also does this even work out for the preds financially, not sure on that either.

Old
02-07-2006, 11:55 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkin_mvp
Leafs are still pretty much in a race for the 8th playoff spot.

It ain't gonna happen.
Nashville is getting ripped off...maybe if Sundin was actually playing at a level where he was worth his salary.

Old
02-07-2006, 11:55 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Very few times do both teams get hosed in a deal, but this is one of them. Toronto is going to give up on the season by trading their captain? The Toronto organization doesn't strike me as the type that would just give up on a season especially when, as of today, they are in the playoffs.

And the Preds are going to bloat up the payroll at the expense of their prized prospect Weber and a guy in Upshall who has been the AHL's most dominant player the past month or so?

With the salary cap era, Sundin's value is down significantly in the eyes of most especially given his mediocre year (for his standards). He's going to have to come a lot cheaper to get the Preds to listen.

I just cannot see either team going for this one.

Old
02-07-2006, 11:58 AM
McQuixote

It's likely that the price of Upshall & Weber is too high a futures price for the Preds. I think Poile is too excited at the prospect of Weber and Suter on his blueline for quite some time to sacrifice it for Sundin. I think the Preds could really use Sundin and might be interested but I think they're not going to do much bending over to get him.

Reduce the Leafs' 2nd rounder to something like a 5th or strike it, take away one of the Preds's 4ths, and reduce Weber to a lesser defense propsect and you have something I can see going down.

If the Leafs do decide to trade Sundin, that is.

Old
02-07-2006, 12:01 PM
VanW27

Im a leafs fan but no way would the preds give up Weber. Take him out and if the leafs are in a selling mode and the preds are willing to add the salary it might be fair.

Something based around Upshall for Sundin as the main pieces.

Sundin + ?? (3rd or 4th maybe)
for
Upshall + ?? (Klein Maybe)

Old
02-07-2006, 12:01 PM
Ovechkin_mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller
Nashville is getting ripped off...maybe if Sundin was actually playing at a level where he was worth his salary.

ripped off?

Common, Sundin is still getting almost 1pt/game.
He's a solid two-way center. The guy has carried TO on his back for over 10 years, while playing with mostly second-rate teammates. He's worth every penny if you ask me.

Old
02-07-2006, 12:02 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken
According to most Preds fans Weber is untouchable. I doubt they'd want to trade just him for those players (Sundin, Klee). Also does this even work out for the preds financially, not sure on that either.
Weber isn't untouchable (no one is), but he's looks like the answer to the organizations most pressing problem: a physical, defensive Dman.

And while the Preds need centers, I think recently Predator fans have come to the realization that with Trotz' current system, the more important issue is defense. If we were going to chuck 7 mil at a player, I'd rather us go after a Chara. I think he'd provide more utility at that price than Sundin.

Old
02-07-2006, 12:08 PM
McQuixote

Quote:
ripped off?

He's a solid two-way center. The guy has carried TO on his back for over 10 years, while playing with mostly second-rate teammates. He's worth every penny if you ask me.
Sundin is (still) an excellent player, but he's very very expensive and Nashville could only guarantee him for a year and a half anyway. It's a risky proposition across the board - maybe he's gone as soon as he can be and the future is less bright becasue of what they gave up, maybe he falters and they have to write off next year too.

Of course, there's solid upside. I think, however, you have to look at what Fedorov got on the open market to see that getting rid of a big contract also counts as a benefit in trade. Hypothetically, Toronto is getting Upshall and a pick and future considerations that amount to $6 million dollars worth of players in the offseason. Nashville loses those players they may have been able to sign in the off-season. It's a condition in any trade and will affect the asking price.

Old
02-07-2006, 12:20 PM
Metallian*

Quote:
ripped off?

he has a higher PPG average now than in the season prior to the lockout

the big difference is his goal production....which is his lowest ever

Old
02-07-2006, 12:25 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

My counter proposal:

Nashville: Sundin
Toronto: Third round pick

Leafs unload a fat expensive contract and begin their rebuilding. Preds absorb a big hit to their payroll, but take a possible step toward contention.

Old
02-07-2006, 12:29 PM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
Predators aren't winning the cup this year regardless. Play out this season advance one or two rounds and sign free agent centers in the off season.
Why the hell not....they are one of the best teams in the league this year, period. They have as good a chance as anyone else out there .

Old
02-07-2006, 12:37 PM
BringGilmourBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFD22
TO NAS: Mats Sundin + Ken Klee + 2nd 2006

TO TOR: Scottie Upshall + Shea Weber + (salary dump) + 4th 2006 + 4th 2007

Leafs begin the rebuilding and get two young players to add to Steen, Stajan, Cola, Pogge, Rask, etc. Upshall has 2nd/3rd line potential whereas Weber has the potential to be a #1 defender.

The Predators get a #1 centreman and a stay at home defender to increase their cup chances. No team has ever won a cup with the weakness down the middle that the Predators currently have. The Preds have cap room galore and this move is made to put them over the top.

I like this deal. I'm on board. LET'S DO IT!

Old
02-07-2006, 12:41 PM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
My counter proposal:

Leafs unload a fat expensive contract and begin their rebuilding. Preds absorb a big hit to their payroll, but take a possible step toward contention.
...i'm not even going to bother with this one.

Old
02-07-2006, 12:42 PM
joepeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder19
I like this deal. I'm on board. LET'S DO IT!
Make sure the fax machine is working this time

Old
02-07-2006, 12:46 PM
Ovechkin_mvp

Buttom line: Sundin isn't going anywhere either this or next year, gentelmen.

Old
02-07-2006, 12:47 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney
Why the hell not....they are one of the best teams in the league this year, period. They have as good a chance as anyone else out there .
I disagree. The Preds match up very poorly with the likes of Dallas and Detroit, two teams that they would likely have to go through to reach the Cup finals. It could happen, but Vokoun would have to stand on his head Giguere style to give the Preds a chance.

They've been outshot 143-85 in their past 4 games against the Western Conference elite. In the 8 games since pummeling Columbus 7-2 on 1/21/05, the Predators have been outshot 280 to 195. And that includes games against such offensive stalwarts as Chicago, Columbus, and Minnesota. That's 35 shots allowed, 24 shots for.

While they've managed to win more than their fair share of games this season, the Preds are not elite yet. They are a good hockey team. But so many things have to happen for a great team to win the Cup. So many more things have to happen for a good team to even reach the Cup finals.

Old
02-07-2006, 12:48 PM
joepeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
I disagree. We match up very poorly with the likes of Dallas and Detroit, two teams that we would likely have to go through to reach the Cup finals. It could happen, but Vokoun would have to stand on his head Giguere style to give us a chance.

We've been outshot 143-85 in our past 4 games against the Western Conference elite. In the 8 games since pummeling Columbus 7-2 on 1/21/05, the Predators have been outshot 280 to 195. And that includes games against such offensive stalwarts as Chicago, Columbus, and Minnesota. That's 35 shots allowed, 24 shots for.

While we've managed to win more than our fair share of games this season, we are not elite yet. We are a good hockey team. But so many things have to happen for a great team to win the Cup. So many more things have to happen for a good team to even reach the Cup finals.
woah lol I have more faith in your team than you do... your underestimating them...

Old
02-07-2006, 12:48 PM
FLAMESTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepeps
Make sure the fax machine is working this time
nice quote

Old
02-07-2006, 12:55 PM
BringGilmourBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
My counter proposal:

your deaming. Toronto will get a 1st, a great prospect ,+, for Sundin. There is not too many quality players out there like him. And he is only 34. He has at least 6 yrs left. Anything less than that you can forget about it. Weight might have been a UFA but why would someone trade away a ton of assets for a rental?!? Use your head man. The cap is raising next year. Word on TSN and Sports Central is it's raising to 46 mil.

Last edited by BringGilmourBack: 02-07-2006 at 01:02 PM.
Old
02-07-2006, 12:56 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepeps
woah lol I have more faith in your team than you do... your underestimating them...
I've seen pretty much every game of theirs this season. We are not a Cup capable team, in my opinion. The Cinderellas that have made it through the West in recent years all had one thing in common: Defense. Calgary, Minny, and Anaheim all were great in their own ends.

Nashville has given up almost 33 SOG's per game and over 4 more against than for. They are bottom 5 in the league in SOG's allowed per game. In '03/'04, Calgary only allowed 25 SOG's and was top 5 in the regular season in that category. In 02/03, neither Anaheim nor Minnesota gave up near as many SOG's per game as Nashville. Only Anaheim gave up over 30 in the postseason (hence the previous reference to Vokoun having to be like Giguere).

The bottom line is this. We are a good hockey team. But as of right now, we are not the right team to make a cup run. Way too many things have to go right.

Closed Thread